Start by marking “Undoing Yourself: With Energized Meditation and Other Devices” as Want to Read:
Undoing Yourself: With Energized Meditation and Other Devices

Undoing Yourself: With Energized Meditation and Other Devices

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  512 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Contains practical techniques to transform your life, served up with a large dose of humour and the stick of the Zen Roshi.
Published December 31st 2002 by New Falcon Publications (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Undoing Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undoing Yourself

Nicholas Pell
First of all: Who gives a shit about the writing? This isn't a book, it's a bomb. And one that will blow your brains out if studied properly.

Much like Prometheus Rising, Undoing Yourself With Energized Meditation and Other Devices is a tome of mysticism for atheists, materialists, natural pantheists and other modern heretics. Religious rituals are recommended, but only the most basic ones and for purposes clearly identifiable to anyone who does the work. This is blue collar Buddhism of the Zen v
Mett
Interesting read, bordering on corny. Still some good ideas.

As many have said, the meditations alone are what you're paying for here. And they are worth it, provided you actually do them. Doing these meditations daily has been more help to me than reading any self-help book ever could be. In fact, just do the freaking meditations and quit reading self-help books! They'll make you feel better, no joke.

Really, you could get any book on kundalini yoga meditation, and if you actually did them they'd
Aaron Schafer
Received this book as a gift and didn't know what to expect. After reading the preface I knew I had struck gold. My wife and I have begun doing the exercises together and our world is definitely changing.

Hyatt is funny, sarcastic, mean, lighthearted, serious, inviting and knowledgeable all in a way that makes you feel like you are hanging out with your genius hippy uncle. I'll spend the rest of my life working with this one.
Andrew
The exercises sound useful however they compose about 10% of the book. They are fairly well detailed though I feel they should be a little more so. The couple times I've tried them so far have not been very inspiring. Perhaps over time they will shine.

What's the rest of the book? I don't quite know. It's a mess. Is it comedy? Philosophy? A polemic on materialism or on modern government? Self-help? Futurology? Neurology? I don't feel it reads very smooth. The author also has, what seems to me, a
Joshua
If you meditate or enjoy entheogens, this book is for your. If you want to make sex spiritual, this book is for you. This book is not something you read, but something you do, practice, and practice again. There is no try. There is only do or not do. In this case, the doing is undoing. Contact God directly, through sex, spice up your sex life, through the Hebrew alphabet. Funny, seriously funny, and fun. Just do it.
Adam
Go read a book about Buddhism instead.
Roma
Interesting read, bordering on corny. Still some good ideas.

Dean P
I have to say I'm slightly torn between liking and disliking the book. As for the exercises and theory that "thought equals tension", I have to agree, there's little evidence to support the idea that re-wiring (and/or enlightenment) can be done via physical tension reduction (a common body-work therapy idea). If this were the case, there would have been a few more success stories from Osho and this kind of meditative work than happened. Undoing oneself involves a little more than reducing tensio ...more
Nikmaack
Half genius, half gibberish. I skipped some chapters. At the end of the book, there are chapters just there without explanation. Talk of alchemy suddenly for no reason. A comic book chunk that feels relatively pointless.

Other parts of the book are intriguing. Hyatt offers exercises to undo yourself but a lot of them seem completely pointless. Far from practical, the book feels like a prank that the author takes very seriously. Is the joke on himself?

Scraps of useful thought here and there. Mostl
Charlie
Originally I borrowed this book from a friend. I read it up to the first exercise..then never did it. Several months later I decided to buy my own copy and actually do the work. I have not made it through all the exercises given by Hyatt yet. (Though I am working on it and some of the "Other Devices" seem as though they will be quite useful too.). Like most works by Hyatt a lot of people will be put off. But, if you DO the work you WILL benefit in some way. I play on keeping this book around unt ...more
Cassandra Price
One of the best books on meditation, I think. Has a ton of background and little known references that are less filler and more truly insightful additions to this work.

This is, IMO, the best compilation of Twentieth Century attempts to combine Eastern, Western and American techniques and practices into a cohesive whole. As a single system it falls short, but as a springboard to new and more cohesive combinations of practice it is completely unmatched.
Noël
I am still on the Introduction/Preface thing and I am LOVING this book. Come on, seriously, buy this book, read it, DO THE EXERCISES, and wake up with me. And if anyone manages to actually kill their own ego, let me know and then let me in on your secret!
m. soria
i can't say that i've successfully practiced the entire regiment described in this book, or that it's even useful in the way that it claims to be. but i did learn some great breathing and stretching techniques, and it was fun to read!
J
It works assuming you can make it over the Abyss. Where he is taking us though is another story. Approach with caution.
Stefan Rhyner
Great book. but very important if you really wanna change something in your life...do it do it do it...
Martinxo
Repetitive and somewhat silly at times but the exercises look useful
Greg
The exercises are the most important part.
Realeyes
the exercises are highly potent.
Siggy
Always re-reading/undoing myself.
Mark
Now put it to practice.
Robert
Jul 02, 2012 Robert added it
Scary,Funny
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Brian Wallner
Brian Wallner marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
John Van der vuurst
John Van der vuurst marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
f
f added it
Jan 21, 2015
Cesar Pierobom
Cesar Pierobom marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Charlotta
Charlotta marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
  • Angel Tech: A Modern Shaman's Guide to Reality Selection
  • Quantum Psychology: How Brain Software Programs You & Your World
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Visual Magick: A Manual of Freestyle Shamanism
  • The Eye in the Triangle: An Interpretation of Aleister Crowley
  • Book 4
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford: Dilettante's Guide to What You Do and Do Not Need to Know to Become a Qabalist
  • Info-Psychology: A Revision of Exo-Psychology
  • Programming & Metaprogramming in the Human Biocomputer: Theory & Experiments
Christopher Hyatt was an American occultist, author, and founder of the Extreme Individual Institute (EII).Using his birth name, Alan Ronald Miller, he has served as president of New Falcon Publications.
More about Christopher S. Hyatt...
The Psychopath's Bible: For the Extreme Individual Rebels and Devils: The Psychology of Liberation Sex Magic, Tantra & Tarot: The Way of the Secret Lover Secrets of Western Tantra: The Sexuality of the Middle Path Energized Hypnosis: A Non-Book for Self Change