Start by marking “Undoing Yourself: With Energized Meditation and Other Devices” as Want to Read:
Undoing Yourself: With Energized Meditation and Other Devices

Undoing Yourself: With Energized Meditation and Other Devices

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  604 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Contains practical techniques to transform your life, served up with a large dose of humour and the stick of the Zen Roshi.
Published December 31st 2002 by New Falcon Publications (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Undoing Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undoing Yourself

Mett
Jan 06, 2013 Mett rated it it was amazing
Interesting read, bordering on corny. Still some good ideas.

As many have said, the meditations alone are what you're paying for here. And they are worth it, provided you actually do them. Doing these meditations daily has been more help to me than reading any self-help book ever could be. In fact, just do the freaking meditations and quit reading self-help books! They'll make you feel better, no joke.

Really, you could get any book on kundalini yoga meditation, and if you actually did them they'd
Aaron Schafer
Jan 12, 2011 Aaron Schafer rated it it was amazing
Received this book as a gift and didn't know what to expect. After reading the preface I knew I had struck gold. My wife and I have begun doing the exercises together and our world is definitely changing.

Hyatt is funny, sarcastic, mean, lighthearted, serious, inviting and knowledgeable all in a way that makes you feel like you are hanging out with your genius hippy uncle. I'll spend the rest of my life working with this one.
Amit Srivastava
Feb 16, 2016 Amit Srivastava rated it it was amazing
Amazing work of Dr Hyatt on self-realization. Methods of meditation, thinking and realizing are discussed in detail. Several oriental philosophies from Hinduism, Buddhism and Zen are used to demonstrate the process of knowing oneself. But there are amazingly innovative narratives to do things on meditation. If you have a test of self-help in spiritual way, it is a must read book. I loved this quote from this book,
"You must give up the thing most precious to you. You must give up the thing which
Charlie
Originally I borrowed this book from a friend. I read it up to the first exercise..then never did it. Several months later I decided to buy my own copy and actually do the work. I have not made it through all the exercises given by Hyatt yet. (Though I am working on it and some of the "Other Devices" seem as though they will be quite useful too.). Like most works by Hyatt a lot of people will be put off. But, if you DO the work you WILL benefit in some way. I play on keeping this book around unt ...more
Joshua
Mar 24, 2013 Joshua rated it it was amazing
If you meditate or enjoy entheogens, this book is for your. If you want to make sex spiritual, this book is for you. This book is not something you read, but something you do, practice, and practice again. There is no try. There is only do or not do. In this case, the doing is undoing. Contact God directly, through sex, spice up your sex life, through the Hebrew alphabet. Funny, seriously funny, and fun. Just do it.
Adam
Apr 13, 2011 Adam rated it did not like it
Go read a book about Buddhism instead.
Andrew
Mar 05, 2014 Andrew rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
The exercises sound useful however they compose about 10% of the book. They are fairly well detailed though I feel they should be a little more so. The couple times I've tried them so far have not been very inspiring. Perhaps over time they will shine.

What's the rest of the book? I don't quite know. It's a mess. Is it comedy? Philosophy? A polemic on materialism or on modern government? Self-help? Futurology? Neurology? I don't feel it reads very smooth. The author also has, what seems to me, a
Roma
Jan 11, 2013 Roma rated it really liked it
Interesting read, bordering on corny. Still some good ideas.

Dean P
I have to say I'm slightly torn between liking and disliking the book. As for the exercises and theory that "thought equals tension", I have to agree, there's little evidence to support the idea that re-wiring (and/or enlightenment) can be done via physical tension reduction (a common body-work therapy idea). If this were the case, there would have been a few more success stories from Osho and this kind of meditative work than happened. Undoing oneself involves a little more than reducing tensio ...more
Tboneflock
Oct 12, 2015 Tboneflock rated it it was ok
The book has some meditations which are unlike any I've come across before. If you feel the need for a bit more stimulation in your meditating, they are worth checking out. However only a small amount of the book is devoted to the practices, and I didn't find the rest worthwhile reading so just skimmed to pull out all of the meditations.
Joe
Jan 02, 2016 Joe rated it really liked it
This book contains Very Useful Exercises. The rest of the book appears to be the love child of the Holy Trinity: Roger von Oech (Whack on the Side of the Head), Ram Dass (Be Here Now), and Ashleigh Brilliant (I Have Abandoned My Search for Truth and Am Now Looking for a Good Fantasy).

Meant to brake yer hed.
Nikmaack
Half genius, half gibberish. I skipped some chapters. At the end of the book, there are chapters just there without explanation. Talk of alchemy suddenly for no reason. A comic book chunk that feels relatively pointless.

Other parts of the book are intriguing. Hyatt offers exercises to undo yourself but a lot of them seem completely pointless. Far from practical, the book feels like a prank that the author takes very seriously. Is the joke on himself?

Scraps of useful thought here and there. Mostl
Jugurtha Sheshonk
Apr 06, 2016 Jugurtha Sheshonk rated it it was amazing
I read it in 24 hours and I think you know what does it mean. Fantastic experience and must be read for several times.
Casey Winters
Jan 11, 2013 Casey Winters rated it it was amazing
Shelves: esoteric
One of the best books on meditation, I think. Has a ton of background and little known references that are less filler and more truly insightful additions to this work.

This is, IMO, the best compilation of Twentieth Century attempts to combine Eastern, Western and American techniques and practices into a cohesive whole. As a single system it falls short, but as a springboard to new and more cohesive combinations of practice it is completely unmatched.
Sean
Dec 18, 2015 Sean rated it it was ok
Shelves: magic
The substantive part of the book could have been published as a pamphlet. The practical exercises are great, but they take up no more than a dozen pages. Borrow the book from the library, photocopy those pages, and spare yourself Hyatt's weak prose and sneering bad-boy-of-the-new-age screeds.
Noël
Sep 30, 2010 Noël rated it it was amazing
I am still on the Introduction/Preface thing and I am LOVING this book. Come on, seriously, buy this book, read it, DO THE EXERCISES, and wake up with me. And if anyone manages to actually kill their own ego, let me know and then let me in on your secret!
m. soria
Aug 06, 2008 m. soria rated it liked it
i can't say that i've successfully practiced the entire regiment described in this book, or that it's even useful in the way that it claims to be. but i did learn some great breathing and stretching techniques, and it was fun to read!
John Deacon
Not for everyone but a serious look into breaking down some belief systems and activating the emotional memory stored in the body - not for the feint of heart - I advise personal reflection and journaling to process.
M.A. Campbell
Written for the marginal members of society. On top of that, the even more marginal group that will put in actual effort/action opposed to speculation and mere armchair intellectualism.
J
Jul 25, 2008 J rated it really liked it
Shelves:
It works assuming you can make it over the Abyss. Where he is taking us though is another story. Approach with caution.
Stefan Rhyner
Great book. but very important if you really wanna change something in your life...do it do it do it...
Martinxo
Sep 24, 2007 Martinxo rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Repetitive and somewhat silly at times but the exercises look useful
Greg
Dec 17, 2009 Greg rated it it was amazing
The exercises are the most important part.
Realeyes
Dec 23, 2010 Realeyes rated it it was amazing
the exercises are highly potent.
Siggy
Robert
Jul 02, 2012 Robert added it
Scary,Funny
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Rinoc
Rinoc marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
  • Angel Tech: A Modern Shaman's Guide to Reality Selection
  • Quantum Psychology: How Brain Software Programs You & Your World
  • Visual Magick: A Manual of Freestyle Shamanism
  • The Eye in the Triangle: An Interpretation of Aleister Crowley
  • The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford: Dilettante's Guide to What You Do and Do Not Need to Know to Become a Qabalist
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Eight Lectures on Yoga
  • Info-Psychology: A Revision of Exo-Psychology
  • Liber Kaos
  • Freedom Is a Two Edged Sword

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Christopher Hyatt was an American occultist, author, and founder of the Extreme Individual Institute (EII).Using his birth name, Alan Ronald Miller, he has served as president of New Falcon Publications.
More about Christopher S. Hyatt...