Start by marking “America (Jake Grafton #9)” as Want to Read:
America (Jake Grafton #9)

America (Jake Grafton #9)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,177 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Dispatched on a trial run, NASA's SuperAegis satellite has been created as the foundation of an international antimissle defense system. But moments after dispatch, it vanishes. Rear Admiral Jake Grafton fears something worse than a grave malfunction--he suspects sabotage... — The USS America--the world's most technically advanced nuclear submarine--is launched on its maid ...more
Published July 14th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published September 8th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America

Ed
Jan 31, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: military, action, thriller
#9 in the Jake Grafton series.

Jake Grafton series - Rear Adm. Jake Grafton is shocked, as are his fellow Russian and European observers, when a satellite for the SuperAegis missile shield goes out of launch mode and is lost in seconds. Moments later, the state-of-the-art nuclear submarine America is hijacked on her maiden voyage. The sub is armed with Tomahawk missiles with "Flashlight" warheads capable of frying all unprotected electronics within miles of detonation, crippling target cities. Ja
Ken Doggett
May 16, 2016 Ken Doggett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a run-of-the-mill thriller, if there is such a thing. I like Stephen Coonts' Jake Grafton novels, but this just seemed average to me. It kept me reading, but only because I was mildly curious to see what would happen next, and not because I couldn't put it down. At no time did it ever seem that the main characters were in danger, and certainly not Jake Grafton, even though several times the author tried to assassinate him. I think it would be better drama if the assassins had been after ...more
Dale
Aug 25, 2012 Dale rated it liked it
Solid, but not an exceptional thriller

The strength of a Stephen Coonts novel is that he provides a thriller like Tom Clancy but not all of the techno-speak. Instead, he provides just enough to give the reader a taste but not enough to overwhelm.

The weakness of Stephen Coonts is that Jake Grafton, likable as he is, makes Star Trek's Captain Kirk look like an underachiever. Grafton is everywhere in this book (like all of them). Who needs specialists, like Navy SEALs or an expert for a rocket launc
Seth
Jan 11, 2012 Seth rated it really liked it
In America, Stephen Coonts combines all of the most successful elements of his most noteworthy Jake Grafton "action-adventure" stories. First you have the hostile naval vessel takeover first displayed in "Final Flight" (and as a nod to that story, the fictional carrier USS United States is hanging around at the time that the fictional submarine "America" is hijacked. Then you have the covert espionage type affair which Coonts grappled with in "The Minotaur" and then you get the city/ federal gov ...more
William Torres
Oct 31, 2013 William Torres rated it liked it
The setting takes place in a launch platform near the Cape Canaveral and a pier in Long Island. The conflicts are that a new antimissile defense system disappears after its launch, and the most advance nuclear submarines,USS America, is hijacked by a group of terrorist just as the submarine goes on patrol for the first time. Jake Grafton with the help of Toad Tarkington, Flap Le Beau and Tommy Carmellini must find who stole the nuclear submarine and see if there is a connection with the disappea ...more
Steve
Mar 19, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this Coonts story. some stories spend too much time, for me, on aircraft and carriers, but this one was very good.

Sharon
May 10, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it
This was just not Coonts' best Jake Grafton novel. It took a while to get going, and one question just get bugging me the whole while I was reading.

In the dark recesses of time, I dated a Navy A-6 bombardier/navigator. When we went to see "Hunt for Red October," I asked him afterward whether the caterpillar drive would actually work. His response: "I wouldn't know; I'm a plane guy, not a sub guy."

So, given that RAdm Jake Grafton is a "plane guy," why is this book about submarines? Why is he even
George
Apr 27, 2014 George rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
The plot revolves around a stolen US submarine and a diverted satellite...an implausible idea, but exciting. The characters include our hero Jake, with some help from Toad and Carmelini. The Russians and some international businessmen are the bad guys. It all unfolds over 14+ hours and keeps the listener on the edge of his seat. Gotta find the next book in the Grafton series.
Simon
Mar 31, 2015 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
A mix of thriller, espionage, tecno, warfare, but I did find it a bit of a grind towards the end and found myself speed-reading from about page 350 just to get to the end. Lots of densely packed words per page. Will give Stephen Coonts a miss on his next books for a while.
D-mac Blane
Jun 24, 2015 D-mac Blane rated it really liked it
For the most part, this novel holds true to Coonts' style. However, there are some extremely far-fetched "action" sections that left me laughing at their implausibility.
Peter
Jul 16, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it
(entered this years after reading; read this before Goodreads)

Probably enjoyed it.

Aurora library.
Joe Newell
May 15, 2014 Joe Newell rated it liked it
This was enjoyable. Somewhat like a Clancy novel, without being so ridiculously overwritten.
Dave
May 04, 2009 Dave rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A stolen high-tech submarine and a lost super satellite to be used in the international antimissile defense systems. A great novel that rivals The Hunt for Red October. Steven Coonts delivers in this fast paced thriller that's full of action. Unlike most of Steven Coonts novels, this one gets started right out of the gate and really grabs your attention. The plot unfolds very quickly to offer the reader a captivating page turner. Great Novel!
Cyndy
Oct 05, 2015 Cyndy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I missed reading this Grafton novel, so I am reading this after Liberty. Another great Grafton military / spy novel. Some people were bothered by it being about a submarine when Grafton is an aviator. This did not bother me, lots of people are placed on projects for problem solving skills rather than intimate knowledge of the subject and Grafton spent very little time in / around the sub.
Marti
May 08, 2011 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm rather sure that I have read other books by Stephen Coontz. This was very exciting. It was also informative, so that I feel that I know more about submarines and missiles. Jake Grafton and the rest of his crew are interesting characters. It is embarassing when the Russians steal the sub, and dangerous when they fire off Tomahawk missiles that fry systems in Washington, DC and elsewhere.
Andreas
Apr 21, 2011 Andreas rated it did not like it
Unusually for Coonts, there is almost no flying. This is a vaguely passable technothriller in Tom Clancy style. Still not as polished as it could be, and Coonts fails to make the last half as gripping as the first. Also, I had a hard time believing the motivations and actions of the bad guys. Having said all that, I didn’t want to put it down until the end.

Andrew Carter
Feb 02, 2016 Andrew Carter rated it it was amazing
Another Jake Grafton adventure.
Robert
Well, I liked it with reservations. By mid-story it was getting better and I was liking it more and more. The plot was interesting and the action was picking up. The ending wound down a little too much for my liking and basically took my enthusiasm with it. It was still worth the read; I was looking or hoping for more action and suspense.
Glenajo
Oct 21, 2010 Glenajo rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, but it dragged a little, perhaps because it was the first Jake Grafton book that I listened to. The nuclear explosions gave the book an overall depressing feel. I enjoyed the investigation work of Grafton and the technical explanations of Stephen Coonts. It is not nearly as intense as Flight of the Intruder.
Dark-Draco
Sep 04, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I really liked this book. A typical thriller with really nasty baddies stealing a submarine - one that is of course invisible to conventional sonar. What happens to New York and Washigton is quite scary, eve more so as it is quite possible. Well worth reading.
Justin
Sep 30, 2013 Justin rated it liked it
Another entry in the Jake Grafton series, an interesting plot of state-sponsored terrorism involving the hijacking of a new American submarine. Like most of his books, kind of a slow-going middle portion of the book, but picks up again in the final act.

Susan
Jun 13, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well done Stephen, I have never read much about submarines and under water fighting. You did your research well, details were great and I could imagine being in the sub as they were sending torpedos at each other. Scary!
Laurie Stoll
I chose not to rate this book because this type of story is outside of the genre's I enjoy reading. Since it wasn't s a subject matter that interested me I felt it would be unfair for me to give this book a rating.
Paul Groinus
Oct 25, 2010 Paul Groinus rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the first book I have read from this author. I have to say that the beginning and the middle of the book hooked me good. The ending wasn't really what I expected, it could have been better.
David
Dec 27, 2008 David rated it it was ok
Read this on audio. It is a below-average thriller. The main plot is not particularly intense, though typically nasty things happen. The ending is rather ho-hum, somewhat predictable.
Frank
Dec 16, 2015 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, adventure
Love this genre...intenational intrigue and chasing spies. I was surprised that this novel was written ten years ago. Seemed much more modern and technologically advanced. Good read.
Joe O'c
Aug 28, 2009 Joe O'c rated it really liked it
Excellent; Continuing character: Jake Grafton; A missing satellite, stolen state-of-the-art submarine, and electromagnetic pulse grenades set the stage for a battle against terrorists.
Cathay
Jan 14, 2009 Cathay rated it really liked it
Life on a submarine is described very well in this fast-paced novel. Interesting concept of "if America was a submarine hi-jacked by multi-national terrorists."
Andrew Howell
Aug 29, 2011 Andrew Howell rated it liked it
Fast paced, really enjoyed middle section (was reading it while I walked which is usually a good sign for a book) but the ending was little disappointing
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)
  • Day of Wrath
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
  • Joshua's Hammer (Kirk McGarvey #8)
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent
More about Stephen Coonts...

Jake Grafton (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton #1)
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton #2)
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton #3)
  • The Minotaur (Jake Grafton #4)
  • Under Siege (Jake Grafton #5)
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #6)
  • Cuba (Jake Grafton #7)
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton #8)
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton #10)
  • Liberty's Last Stand (Jake Grafton #11)