Start by marking “Markheim” as Want to Read:
Markheim

Markheim

Classic short story about a deal with the Devil. According to Wikipedia: "Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson ( 1850 - 1894), was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of Neo-romanticism in English literature. He was the man who "seemed to pick the right word up on the point of his pen, like a man playing spillikins", as G. K. Chesterton p ...more
Published May 1st 1982 by NTC/Contemporary Publishing Company (first published 1885)

To ask other readers questions about Markheim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Markheim

Jessica
Nov 17, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Fairly interesting quick read about the struggles of good and evil.
Stephanie
I saw Markheim by Robert Louis Stevenson mentioned in the Read Scotland 2015 Goodreads group and found a free online version at East Of The Web. http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-sto... The story is short, at just sixteen pages, and I enjoyed its seasonal setting as this is a traditional supernatural tale for Christmas. This is my twelfth book for Read Scotland 2015 and I am pleased to have averaged one a month.

Markheim is set on Christmas Day although, other than the lack of custom to the antiq
Tonk82
Apr 13, 2015 Tonk82 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, fantasia, drama, propio
Markheim es un pequeño relato, que cuesta un poco clasificar. El ambiente, la visión del personaje principal o la presencia de un toque sobrenatural parecen indicar que es una historia fantástica de terror, pero lo que se presenta es un drama psicológico de primera magnitud.

El relato en sí es muy corto, poco más de 20 paginas en la estupenda edición de Anaya "Tus Libros: El extraño caso del Dr. Jekyll y Mr. Hyde" (en conjunto con la novela del título y Olalla), y me ha recordado poderosamente a
Tanvika
Aug 09, 2016 Tanvika rated it it was amazing
Stevenson masterfully brings images to life. Markheim is a tale about a thief after he commits the crime. The torment in his mind , the tension outside symbolized by ticking of multiple clocks, splattering rain, thumbing footsteps, strange noises creates a tumultuous enviornment. When he is about to step outside to escape , a queer visitor arrives.
The plot seemingly simple raises few questions.firstly, the debate of free will. Can a man always be determined by his past or can he deviate. Second,
Nick
Feb 27, 2009 Nick rated it it was amazing
This story was really good. It was about a theif who goes through an experiance that changes him and makes him takre responsability for his actions. I hope that doesn't givre anything away. This is probably my favrite story out of the ones a read of Stevensons.
Michael
Markheim is a short story by Robert Louis Stevenson the story was later published in Stevenson’s collection The Merry Men and Other Tales and Fables. One of my all time favourite Short Stories from the master, Robert Louis Stevenson.
From BBC Radio 4 Extra - A Short History of Gothic:
A thief's eerie encounter with a stranger in a shop forces him to reassess his life. Hugh Bonneville reads RL Stevenson's tale.
بسام عبد العزيز
ماركهايم مجرم ممن يطلق عليهم عتيدو الإجرام.. لكن مع طول حياة ماركهايم فهو لم يرتكب جريمة قتل أبدا..
ماركهايم لم يقتل أبدا لأنه لا يستطيع إزهاق حياة إنسان آخر..
ماذا لو أتيحت الفرصة للحصول على ما يكفيه من مال في مقابل ارتكاب جريمة قتل لن يعاقب عليها أبدا.. هل ماركهايم سيخضع للإغراء؟

ماركهايم يجد هذه الفرصة على يد شخص غامض.. نستطيع أن ندرك أنه الشيطان.. او إبليس.. أو ما شابه..
هذا الشخص الغامض هو مصدر الإغراء لماركهايم.. لكن ماركهايم لا يزال يشعر داخله بالذنب.. يشعر بالخطأ.. بتأنيب الضمير..
ماركهايم م
Onysha
Apr 23, 2014 Onysha rated it it was ok
This was inspired by Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, apparently. It seems that it was a Romantic tradition to write stories based on previous works like this. I guess those stories are a mixed bag. In this case, the Dostoevsky is better.

Like Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment, Markheim murders a pawnbroker. While Raskolnikov does it to put popular philosophies of the day into action, Markheim does it solely for money. Both of them hallucinate and go a little insane after the crime (though Ra
David Sarkies
Aug 22, 2015 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like a bit of horror
Recommended to David by: Cult Book Group
Shelves: horror
Confronting One's Darkside
15 February 2014

As with Stevenson's other short stories, the writing tends to be incredibly dense so as to squeeze a lot into a much shorter space. However this particular story takes about a couple of hours and involves mostly a dialogue between the protagonist (if you wish to call him that) and an unnamed supernatural being whom we are lead to believe is the devil, but we are never specifically told this.

The story takes place in a shop in which the protagonist is lo
Ashley
Jul 26, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
This short story is yet another that I did not attempt to figure out what it was about before I started reading it. I find that summaries of such short works tend to be plot spoilers and drain half the joy of reading them away.
I feel that under further examination along side multiple readings would bring forth an avalanche of newly discovered meaning but I am not at that stage after one read-through and thus my first overall impression is one of boredom-tinged letdown. This small bit of writing
Yani Daniele
Oct 31, 2015 Yani Daniele rated it it was amazing
Otro cuento de este autor polifacético. Una mezcla de historia de terror, del espíritu humano y de la naturaleza dual del hombre. Markheim es el nombre del protagonista quien ávido de dinero decide matar al comerciante a quien siempre le vende sus botines. Pero he aquí lo que desencadena todo, el temor de sus actos parece llevar al personaje a la locura, al miedo, al horror pero al mismo tiempo a un camino de reflexión, justo en el momento en que un ser misterioso se aparece ante él ofreciéndole ...more
Dec 26, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
Un cuento corto que te lleva al mas allá... un cuento fáustico donde el personaje debe elegir entre hacer lo que está bien, o lo contrario... donde se pone en juego la balanza interna del bien y el mal...

Es Navidad, pero el dueño del negocio de antigüedades igual le abre la puerta a un joven cliente; el comerciante no desaprovecha ninguna oportunidad de ganar dinero. El cliente se llama Markheim y es un viejo conocido: ya lo ha visitado siempre con objetos notables, provenientes del gabinete de
D.M.
Feb 26, 2014 D.M. rated it liked it
Though Markheim is plainly a more philosophic treatise, it also engages on a purely visceral level as an excellent suspense story.
Markheim is a man who, in the first few minutes of the story, murders a shopkeeper. The act is sudden and not telegraphed to us, nor are we led to suspect the man capable of this brutality. The rest of the story is his rumination over what he has done, further embodied in a conversation with a mysterious figure who appears to him while he's searching for the shopkeepe
MacKenzie
Dec 18, 2008 MacKenzie rated it did not like it
I was so confused during this book that I pretty much skimmed the second half. Believe it or not, half the book is a man just standing there describing the scenery and wrestling with his conscience after just killing a man. So much more boring than it seems.
Palivo
Feb 09, 2016 Palivo rated it really liked it
Shelves: british
Zločin a trest splácnutej na 40 stran. Kdybych tohle věděl dopředu, mohl jsem si ušetřit čtení té 700stránkové ruské bestie a místo toho třeba pomáhat štěňatům nebo dělat hrníčky pro charitu. :-(
Hans
Aug 18, 2009 Hans rated it liked it
This story is incredibly similar to Crime and Punishment's central scene. The only difference being that in this one the main character has a dialogue with the devil that is quite interesting.
Tarissa
Dec 09, 2015 Tarissa rated it liked it
For some reason, when I found out Robert Louis Stevenson had written a story that takes place on Christmas Day, my mind translated it into: "a heart-warming, holiday tale, just like what Dickens' wrote".

Not so.

Of course, this story is exactly what one should expect from Stevenson, considering he wrote Dr. Jekyll & Mr Hyde.

Really, it isn't holiday-themed at all, except for the fact it does take place on Christmas Day. Otherwise, it's about a thief who murders. Plus, there's an appearance from
Madeline Silvas
Jun 18, 2014 Madeline Silvas rated it really liked it
I actually really enjoyed this one better than most of his other short stories. I think it's because the character didn't despair or go crazy in the end. In a way it ended on a happy note because he took responsibility for his actions and was honest with himself. Right before I read this I had read "The Suicide Club", "Thrawn Janet", and "The Body Snatcher" which were sort of depressing to dwell on. So once I started on this I thought "Here we go again, Stevenson." Thankfully it ended well; at l ...more
Gloria
Jun 25, 2016 Gloria rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone; murder at Christmastime; horror-suspense-irony
Eric
Feb 20, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing
Excellent story about a thief who tries to confession to his wrong doings and murder. How he tries hard to make the shopkeeper understand his actions and why he did it. From the shopkeeper he gains a more moral understanding of actions similar to his and how repentance helps clear the soul.
Beth Morgan
Mar 25, 2016 Beth Morgan rated it it was ok
Not my favorite from Stevenson. Didn't have any of the suspense from his other stories, or the crazy twists I kept waiting to happen. Liked the ending to Body Snatchers much better. Still good writing, just not a topic I can really get behind.
Kathy
Oct 10, 2014 Kathy rated it it was ok
Stevenson is simply too verbose for me - even in short story form. The story's action happens in about 4 paragraphs. The rest is weedy exposition. The main idea is fantastic but could have been masterfully written.
Richard F. Schiller
Jun 29, 2014 Richard F. Schiller rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, uk
A scintillating story of a smiling murderer that is highly reminiscent of "William Wilson". I'm starting to wonder just how much influence Edgar Allan Poe had on Stevenson.
Tortla
Sep 30, 2015 Tortla rated it it was ok
I don't think I was paying close enough attention to the audiobook version of this. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I got the impression it was ominous.
Carlos
Apr 13, 2014 Carlos rated it it was amazing
R. L. Stevenson, sempre brilhante. Somente ele para descrever com tanta elegância o diálogo entre um assassino e o demônio.
Ruthanne Davis
Mar 19, 2014 Ruthanne Davis rated it really liked it
A wonderful short story with a surprising end. I found my copy included with my audiobook of JEKYLL AND HYDE.
Boris
Feb 07, 2014 Boris rated it really liked it
not as good as 'the tell-tale heart' by Poe, but still a very good portrayal of the mental breakdown of a murderer
Mike Jacquez
  • Desiree's Baby
  • My Son, My Son
  • Για την πατρίδα
  • Who Killed Zebedee?
Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is o
More about Robert Louis Stevenson...

“he should have done all things otherwise: poignant regrets, weary, incessant toiling of the mind to change what was unchangeable, to plan what was now useless, to be the architect of the irrevocable past.” 0 likes