Mind-Rain: Your Favorite Authors on Scott Westerfeld's Uglies Series

Mind-Rain: Your Favorite Authors on Scott Westerfeld's Uglies Series

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Why is Shay the real hero of the Uglies series? Who was the better boyfriend for Tally: David or Zane? How can we prevent prettyheaded behavior in our own world?

In Extras, the last book in Scott Westerfeld’s Uglies series, Aya tells us that when Tally Youngblood made the mind-rain fall, it cured all the pretties and changed the world forever. But Tally and her friends did...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Smart Pop (first published May 31st 2007)

stephanie
Jul 09, 2009 stephanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to stephanie by: Amy
a collection of essays on the uglies series, with the addition of a couple of short stories that inspired westerfeld in the first place.

if you like the series, i would really recommend this. i loved the essays, and seeing how different people reacted to the same books. i liked disagreeing with some, and being like, YES! EXACTLY! with others.

robin wasserman's essay is my favorite, about how shay is a heroine trapped in the role of the sidekick. an interesting pairing is the essay on why tally m...more
Chris
What a great collection of essays! I was going to read for a bit over coffee then finally go see Downey’s Sherlock Holmes, but I ended up ditching the entertaining movie to spend my day off with a book of literary criticism. Among the mix are essays that go into the psychology of the characters, ones that look at cultural, scientific, and literary predecessors and themes, and two influential short stories, each with a short introduction by Westerfeld. Some of the essays argue that Tally is a mos...more
Jeri
I didn't find this book a great read. It seemed repetitive in some parts. He did have some interesting views of the characters and how their names related to their personalities/families. I found myself wondering how much longer until the end or at least until something else interesting would be brought up. There were some good points brought up in this book...just not enough to have made it worth the read.
Cassy
Layla Bing
Scott Westerfeld starts the introduction to MIND RAIN with a spin on the classic quote "it takes a village to raise a child": "it takes a village to read a book." In other words, the author is not the definitive authority on the interpretation of a piece of literature. Just as every person in the proverbial village teaches the child something new, every reader brings their own unique perspective on the book to the table, and it is the discussion of these personal takes and ideas that prolongs th...more
Emily
This book is a collection of great essays about the Uglies series written by tons of different authors, but probably wouldn't be interesting for most people who haven't read the series. Still, I loved this book. It covers everything, from the slang to the romance to beauty. It was thought-provoking and made me think of the series in lots of new ways. Honestly, I never thought of Shay as a cunning, cool character and this book completely changed my mind a I'm starting to think that she isn't all...more
Pica
Aug 09, 2011 Pica added it
Read the original review on Pica Reads.

Note: Minor Spoilers for the Uglies series, although you might be a little lost anyway if you haven't read Uglies.

I loved reading this book. Like The Girl Who Was On Fire (click for my review), Mind Rain presents a new way to look at a fantastic YA series - in this case, the Uglies series, by Scott Westerfeld. The essays were insightful, eye-opening, and often funny as well. Each essay took the series to a completely new place, addressing such issues as the...more
Eva
This books is why I hate Tally. Before I just sort of ignored her in favor of self-insertions. But after reading this book I realized: Tally sucks. She's not motivated, she's dumb, and she takes credit for things that she doesn't deserve credit for.

Another thing I realized: David sucks way more than Tally, a fact I never presumed possible. He dumps Shay for Tally even though Tally is way dumber than Shay and also very shallow. He just randomly decides to trust her because she... what? Followed S...more
Gabrielle
This book is absolutely wonderful. I don't normally enjoy reading essays, but the non-fiction arguments and beauty-oriented short stories in this book were wonderful. This review is going to be a bit different than normal, 'cause I don't have a plot or main character to rant on, but here we go.

Here's a description of the book pulled from Scott Westerfeld's blog:

Amanda Maria
Mar 04, 2012 Amanda Maria rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Uglies series who like to analyze books
This book discusses different aspects of the Uglies series and how it is similar to other past and current societies. Each section was written by a different author and they all had varying views. I liked how all sides were looked at and there were no true biases. There is a section that discusses how Shay is the true hero and I had never considered this before. Another section talks about how Tally and Dr. Cable are extremely similar. Another section discusses how Tally is the ultimate hero bec...more
Marcia
I read this book as part of the research I am doing for my master thesis, which is about the current popularity of the dystopian genre amongst adolescents.

I loved the Uglies Series, so i was really interested in reading the essays in Mind-Rain. I enjoyed reading what other people thought about Uglies :D
I bought this book off Amazon because I'm going to be coaching a book club over Uglies beginning in January. I was fascinated to learn that the fan-base had grown so much that books were being written about the series and Tally's universe.

The majority of the essays were provocative and good to read. They provided interesting perspectives which I may modify to use with the students. One of the essays was over my head! I would be uncomfortable teaching another one of the essays.

I really don't thin...more
Laura Ramie
This book had some great essays, some better than others. But for any fan of the Uglies series, this makes you look at the books a little differently. It was especially an eye-opener regarding the character of Shay. When you read the books, you get caught up with the rapid-fire ventures of Tally Youngblood, that you don't stop to really ponder the ethics behind what she does. Several of the essays challenge her role as heroine. I especially enjoyed the essay that predicted that she was destined...more
Kimberly
One of the reason I love Scott Westerfeld's books so much is due to great world he is able to create in a story. My favorite of these places is the city created in his "Uglies" series. I jumped at this opportunity to revisit that great world!

It was very interesting to read what other authors thought of the world Westerfeld created. I loved reading the authors insight into the different characters. My favorite of the essays was "Best Friends for Never" by Robin Wasserman. This essay made me look...more
Snorkle
This was a really interesting book. I liked how each essay took a different stance on a particular part of the series and gave thoughtful insights into the books. I enjoyed the fiction pieces, especially the short story that inspired Uglies. I also liked how Scott would give a short introduction to each piece and give you his thoughts. I got something out of each essay and there were even a couple that brought up points I had never even thought of. This is a good book for someone who is a devote...more
Airiz C
Jul 15, 2011 Airiz C marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed "The Girl Who Was On Fire", a compilation of essays about the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I discover many things from reading the book, things that I wasn't able to pick up at first look. The essays are so analytical and informative, especially when they're to connect the scenes in the book as metaphors for real-life scenario. "Reading is conversing in pages", they said, and I always like a good convo partner. Found them here. XD

Anyway, that's why I'll put this one...more
Melody
Nov 02, 2008 Melody rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who have ready Harry Potter 1-6
Recommended to Melody by: Half Price Books
I was disappointed by this book at first because I realize that it had been written after the sixth book and before the final Harry Potter book had come out. I already knew the answers to a lot of the questions posed by the author.

That being said, this book was a fun read. Nothing too challenging (similar to the HP series) but a few good questions raised about the author's choices in the book and some of the character's motives as well. It was mostly a fun recap of the highlights of the first si...more
Donna Jo Atwood
This book was written before Deathly Hallows came out, so some of the questions were non-starters. I did enjoy the way Castro raised questions about pieces of the plot or characterisations without trying to damage the fun of the series. (See Chapter 20)
The worst part of the whole book was the slight smarmy tone taken by the author--who often refers to himself as Your Friendly Host, sort of reminiscent of Series of Unfortunate Events. I am not exactly sure what age group Castro envisioned this b...more
Lani
Despite some of the essays saying essentially the same things, this wasn't a bad compilation of essays about the 'Uglies' world. The analysis was pretty good, and some had interesting interpretations that I wouldn't have picked up on myself. It's been awhile since I read any of the series, so it's possible that impacted my enjoyment of this book and its essays.

If you're an Uglies fan AND enjoy low-key analysis written by authors of mediocre YA fantasy, this is for you!
Alyssa
Jul 04, 2010 Alyssa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Uglies series fans, lovers of literary analysis
Shelves: read-in-2010
This book wouldn't really be enjoyable to anyone who didn't read the Uglies series or anyone who isn't a literary analysis geek. It's full of essays by other YA authors about topics in the Uglies series, and it was pretty interesting, but a lot of the essays have similar topics, and I didn't even read the whole thing because I got bored with it. It did provide some insightful analysis, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're an English major and into that stuff.
Alyssa
It never ends. I'm getting too much done that I could never do before, and believe me, the bubbleheads are having such fun watching it on the newsfeeds. And all it took was war, Tally. I should have thought of this years ago... Don't you see, we've entered a new era. From now on, every day is a Special Circumstance. (Specials)

Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely"

The Beautiful People by Charles Beaumont
Will
Not impressed by the "scholarship" herein...

"It was Galileo who refined the compass, which allowed Magellan to sail all the way around the world and proved the Earth is not flat, which led to Christopher Columbus climbing on a boar and heading to the New World." Where is this from, the Dan Brown Chair of History?

As a slight compensation,it reprints Ted Chiang's "Liking What You See".
Rachel
Not my usual cup of tea, but this was a really insightful collection of essays into the nature of Westerfeld's Uglies series. I didn't care too much for the fluffy nature of the "which boyfriend is better" debate, but the Team Shay essay made me think again about a dynamic I'd seen, but hadn't really considered. Any book that can really make me think is—by my definition—a winner.
Ana Costa
I did enjoy it, the first essay on how Shay might be the real hero was awesome. But really wanted to read about what i thought was a prominent theme, the question on whether or not humans are inherently violent. Would recommend for anyone who loved Uglies like i did - but best to read it soon after the series, it's been too long for me.
Abby
Other author's takes on the Uglies series in essay form. Some are humerous, some insightful, and some trying to reshape the popular take. This also contains the story and emails that inspired the series.

Not as good as other books of this sort that I've seen, but still worth reading.
Lady Entropy

Um conjunto de escritos e artigos baseados na tetralogia dos Uglies (Imperfeitos) do Scott Westerfeld. Não valia grande a pena, tirando um dos artigos, e os dois contos de outros autores que inspiraram o autor a escrever estes livros, e que teve autorização para incluir na compilação.
Jenilyn Collings
This isn't something I normally would have picked up off of the shelf, but I won it in a contest and really enjoyed reading most of it. Some of these essays were better than others, but overall it was an engrossing read. Assuming, of course, that you've read the series.
Jyllian Martini
I love Scot Westerfeld and I enjoyed these writers analysis of his writing. Many (if not all) are YA writers themselves. I particularly liked those that explored whether Tally or Shay was the real hero. I long admired Shay over Tally and was happy to see others have as well.
Laura Martinelli
An intriguing collection of essays and short fiction that inspired/was inspired by the Uglies series. It made me rethink some of the key points of the series in terns of characters and science. A fascinating read for any Scott Westerfeld fans.
The Book Geek
I just cannot read this anymore. I thought that this series as a whole was okay, and this rehash/debate compilation of the series is mindnumbingly a waste of paper. I do not want to hear about Team this or that...no.
  • A New Dawn: Your Favorite Authors on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series
  • The Hunger Games and Philosophy: A Critique of Pure Treason
  • A Taste of True Blood: The Fangbanger's Guide
  • Gluttony (Seven Deadly Sins, #6)
  • A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries
  • Billion-Dollar Kiss: The Kiss That Saved Dawson's Creek and Other Adventures inTV Writing
  • Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys: True Tales of Love, Lust, and Friendship Between Straight Women and Gay Men
  • The Psychology of Twilight
  • A Cool Moonlight
  • Seven Seasons of Buffy: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Television Show
  • The Drowned
  • An Infinite Thread - A Merry Sisters of Fate Anthology (Vol. 1)
  • Hunger Games Companion
  • The Psychology of Dexter
  • Theories of Relativity
  • The Underwood See (Withern Rise, #3)
  • Breakthrough!: How the 10 Greatest Discoveries in Medicine Saved Millions and Changed Our View of the World
  • The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook: Dine like Draper and Drink like Sterling: Recipes to Satisfy a Mad Men Appetite
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling American-born author of YA sci-fi literature. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.
His book Evolution's Darling was a New York Times Notable Book, and won a Special Citation for the 2000 Philip K. Dick Award. So Yesterday won a Victorian Premier's Award and...more
More about Scott Westerfeld...
Uglies (Uglies, #1) Pretties (Uglies, #2) Specials (Uglies, #3) Extras (Uglies, #4) Leviathan (Leviathan, #1)

“Personally, no matter how tempting it might be, I make it a policy not to surgically bestow near invincibility upon the people who would most like to see me dead.” 27 likes
“Brain damage is never a good idea, no matter what your friends say.” 14 likes