Start by marking “Before I Knew Him” as Want to Read:
Before I Knew Him

Before I Knew Him

In the hottest summer for years, the long school holidays stretch out before fourteen-year-old Leo. But he doesn’t see much to look forward to. Leo doesn’t fit in. But nothing ever happens to Leo; he never has a story. Then he meets David. Moody, resentful and tough, David is everything Leo is not and an unlikely friendship soon grows between them.

Events that summer take a
Published August 5th 2008 by Hutchinson (first published July 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Before I Knew Him, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before I Knew Him

Mel
A good, quick read. Not the typical romance you find nowadays, which is good. It was realistic and complicated, which is how love is. A lot of people call this book way to sexually explicit, but in all honestly I didn't mind it. Leo probably thinks about this stuff deeply, as a part of his trying to figure out how the hell he feels.
I think the book should have been a little longer. The ending seemed a little rushed to me. I wouldn't have minded seeing what the two main characters would have don
Tasmin
Apr 19, 2015 Tasmin rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book. The writing style was a bit too reliant on descriptions for my taste and I found myself skimming past particularly boring paragraphs.

In my opinion the book would have benefited from a few extra chapters set in the present day, as opposed to the summer Leo was a teenager. Nothing was really tied up - such as Leo's relationship with Kathryn and the ending seemed rushed.

I found the sex scenes too graphic, considering one of the participants was essentially a child, who was
Tami Egonu
Sep 10, 2015 Tami Egonu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's always wonderful to get lost in a book, which I did with this in one day. Anna Ralph is an excellent author who knows how to write about suspense, longing, desire, guilt and lies. This was confidently written with very real characters (Leo at 14yrs & 22yrs and David who's about 2 years older) who are finding out who they are in the world and to each other, but a fatal tragedy from their brief past together (that Leo had strived to bury) and the dark secret they share (only revealed full ...more
Sandra
Sep 26, 2015 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Skilfully evokes the misunderstandings of adolescent relationships, the fear and the desire to be understood. Also the demands of family. And whilst doing so racks up several sorts of tensions too. Easy to read, not because the writing is simplistic but because it says what is necessary.
And bumped it up to five stars because I can't get it out of my head.
Judith Yeabsley
Dec 02, 2009 Judith Yeabsley rated it it was amazing
I loved this book after a slowish, confused start. It follows the passionate and way, way, way too graphic teenage love between two male misfits. The strength of their emotions and the bond between them forged from loneliness and need is compelling. There is also a racing plot to keep one engaged. Couldn't put it down and want to read more of hers.
Helena
Aug 01, 2012 Helena rated it really liked it
Beautiful writing. This is a story of a crime committed in the past, and its effects on the present. It is not however,, a crime novel. Lyrical descritions of the North East of England's little known places. Strong sexual theme.
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2012
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2013
Lucy
Lucy rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2013
Thandi
Thandi rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2010
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Lu
Lu rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2011
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2012
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Bud
Bud rated it liked it
May 07, 2011
George
George rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2017
Marketa
Marketa rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2013
Di Fox
Di Fox rated it did not like it
Jul 02, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Debbie Masson
Debbie Masson rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2017
Jane France
Jane France rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2016
Lisa Hobson
Jan 09, 2013 Lisa Hobson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read. Intriguing.
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2009
Lara Sheard
Lara Sheard rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2011
Oliver
Oliver rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2013
Amy Betterton
Amy Betterton rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014