Start by marking “Before I Knew Him” as Want to Read:
Before I Knew Him

Before I Knew Him

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In the hottest summer for years, the long school holidays stretch out before fourteen-year-old Leo. But he doesn’t see much to look forward to. Leo doesn’t fit in. But nothing ever happens to Leo; he never has a story. Then he meets David. Moody, resentful and tough, David is everything Leo is not and an unlikely friendship soon grows between them.

Events that summer take a
Published August 5th 2008 by Hutchinson (first published July 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Before I Knew Him, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before I Knew Him

Mel
A good, quick read. Not the typical romance you find nowadays, which is good. It was realistic and complicated, which is how love is. A lot of people call this book way to sexually explicit, but in all honestly I didn't mind it. Leo probably thinks about this stuff deeply, as a part of his trying to figure out how the hell he feels.
I think the book should have been a little longer. The ending seemed a little rushed to me. I wouldn't have minded seeing what the two main characters would have don
Tasmin
I didn't like this book. The writing style was a bit too reliant on descriptions for my taste and I found myself skimming past particularly boring paragraphs.

In my opinion the book would have benefited from a few extra chapters set in the present day, as opposed to the summer Leo was a teenager. Nothing was really tied up - such as Leo's relationship with Kathryn and the ending seemed rushed.

I found the sex scenes too graphic, considering one of the participants was essentially a child, who was
Judith Yeabsley
I loved this book after a slowish, confused start. It follows the passionate and way, way, way too graphic teenage love between two male misfits. The strength of their emotions and the bond between them forged from loneliness and need is compelling. There is also a racing plot to keep one engaged. Couldn't put it down and want to read more of hers.
Helena
Beautiful writing. This is a story of a crime committed in the past, and its effects on the present. It is not however,, a crime novel. Lyrical descritions of the North East of England's little known places. Strong sexual theme.
Lisa Hobson
Easy to read. Intriguing.
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Batta Amr
Batta Amr marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Edwin Calle
Edwin Calle marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Devs
Devs marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Bame
Bame marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Ronson
Ronson added it
Feb 19, 2014
Iordanescu
Iordanescu marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Pea
Pea added it
Jun 03, 2013
Brunett
Brunett marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2012