Leg the Spread: Adventures Inside the Trillion-Dollar Boys' Club of Commodities Trading

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"A Plimptonesque revel, and one of the most entertaining business books to come around in a long while." Kirkus, Starred Review
"This is a rip-roaring view of one woman's life in the trading pits of Chicago. Cari Lynn finds a world populated by larger-than-life characters, high-stakes risk-taking, and excess in all its forms. We follow along as she evolves from an innocent,...more
Published June 11th 2014 by Smashwords Edition (first published October 5th 2004)

Tina
I hated, hated, hated this book. It opened with a good story that was never linked up. The first 100+ pages talked about the author's fear of walking out onto the training floor. I was so frustrated. I wish that I could get back the time that I wasted reading this book. The rest of my book club didn't even finish it.
Gail Mclinn
This was an intriguing look at the good old boys club of commodity trading from a women's perspective. It helps to understand the foundation of commodities trading, the harsh environment, the unforgiving atmosphere and the coping methods used by both men and women in making it through trading.

I liked here journalistic perspective, as well as her lay person's point of view that helps hone in the "real" world of commodity trading in the pits.

I highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in c...more
Thomson Kneeland
An interesting set of vignettes and stories in the trading pits of Chicago. Interesting to hear about the different personalities she encountered and all their quirks, as well as trials and tribulations. No this is not a book about trading, but for someone that has no experience in that world, it's interesting to get a sense of how the things operate in the trading pits.
James
This was a disappointing book,
the author doesn't say anything about how this business works,
she just talks about the rowdy atmosphere, her fears,
and a lot of the book is about her eating and drinking with others.

Just a lot of blather.

And the press reviews!!!
Give me a break, nothing sexy here, or anything else of interest.
Kelley
This book was very insightful, and I did learn a lot about trading, namely how scary a world it is for a woman. But, there was a lot of details about trading that I could have done without. A trader or someone who wants to trade would really love this book.
MikeFromQueens
A somewhat interesting look into into the commodities and futures trading business. I enjoyed the author's picking up of new friends which provided new and different insights.
Carley Garner
Ms. Lynn puts an interesting spin on the word of commodities and the increading role that women are playing in it.
Lori Grant
A should-read autobiography on women in business.
Hanna
Totally Chicago-centric.
Colleen
This was a great book!
Laury
Jan 06, 2011 Laury marked it as to-read
Written by my cousin
Fahre
Fahre marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Cari Lynn
Mar 23, 2014 Cari Lynn added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sherill Mc
Sherill Mc marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Izzy
Izzy is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2013
Maayan Hochberg printz
Maayan Hochberg printz marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2013
Karrie
Karrie added it
Nov 25, 2012
Hal
Hal added it
Oct 26, 2012
Mohamed Masrahi
Mohamed Masrahi marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2011
Madam: A Novel of New Orleans Dare Me... The Whistleblower: Sex Trafficking, Military Contractors, and One Woman's Fight for Justice The Walrus on My Table: Touching True Stories of Animal Healing