Start by marking “Wreck of the Medusa: The Tragic Story of the Death Raft” as Want to Read:
Wreck of the Medusa: The Tragic Story of the Death Raft

Wreck of the Medusa: The Tragic Story of the Death Raft

In July, 1816, a French frigate ran aground on a sandbar forty miles off the coast of Africa. Forced to abandon ship, 150 men and women embarked on an overloaded makeshift raft. After twelve days of riots, mutiny, murder, and, ultimately, cannibalism, only fifteen were alive.
Published by Signet (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Wreck of the Medusa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wreck of the Medusa

Bill
Jan 31, 2014 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: under-sail
Originally published in 1974, this is a harrowing account of the grounding of the frigate Medusa off the coast of Africa and the abandonment of the ship by its 400 passengers and crew in seven boats and a poorly-built raft. McKee tells the story in a straightforward way, and he deftly moves the reader from boat to boat as his narrative shifts locations.

The book is a page-turner up until the last few chapters. The plight of the raft is gut-wrenching, and the actions of those who should have been
David
Feb 25, 2017 David rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars I love a good survival story, and this one is certainly up there, but I wish the author had done a better job with it. The story (not the author's fault) is so frustrating as an incompetent captain runs his ship aground off of West Africa, and then leaves a raft with 150 survivors on it behind. Only 14 men survive. I was worried when right off the bat when the author dated a major naval battle of the French Revolution 10 years early. My main problem with the book was that the author ha ...more
Jane
Dec 22, 2016 Jane rated it really liked it
well written account, very informative. didn't emotionalize or sensationalize, presented nice study of what happened. It covered the various surviving groups and I agree jumped a bit from one to other making it a bit difficult to follow. The aftermath showed the attempts to suppress or blame the wrong people. I am glad to read such stories as there is a lot of courage in the survivors not just for surviving event but for battling for truth afterwards.
Mike Curtis
This book tells the true story of a notorious shipwreck. In 1816, the frigate Medusa left France with close to 400 passengers and sailors for the colony of Senegal on the west coast of Africa. Through an amazing display of incompetence, the ship ran aground on a known sandbar about 40 miles from shore near where the Sahara Desert meets the Atlantic Ocean. During the ensuing evacuation of the ship, approximately 150 people were abandoned on a makeshift raft that had little chance to make it shore ...more
Evelyn
May 17, 2011 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, 1600-1850
In July of 1816, a year after the final downfall of Napoleon, a convoy of four French ships were to sail south for a settlement on the African coast that was in the process of being turned over by the English to the French. They were to stay together for safety reasons, even though the ships had different speed capabilities. Certain parts of the African coast was (and still is) largely uncharted, so ships would sail south well away from the coast to avoid shallows and reefs. But a combination of ...more
Andrew
This is an astonishing tale. Nowadays the general public is inundated with heroic stories and actions to the point of seeming routine, but heroism is not commonplace and there is no better light than throwing courageous actions in contrast to their opposite. The tale of the Medusa is an excellent reminder that cowardice, incompetence, and indifference all retain their place in the human condition. This is a must-read for Francophiles, Mariners, those acquainted with Senegal, and would-be leaders ...more
John Haake
Mar 17, 2016 John Haake rated it really liked it
This book is an interesting take on a story I was completely unfamiliar with, the fate of the Medusa. A harrowing shipwreck tail. The actual story of the how and what is included in the first half of this book the last half being mostly made up of aftermath, specifically the politics -- this was certainly the least enjoyable portion of this book. In the last chapters of the book the author takes on, surprisingly, two other aspects of the tale of the Medusa that I thought would also be boring (as ...more
Harvey Smith
Jun 09, 2016 Harvey Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book, based on true history of the French ship the Medusa, who set sail in 1816 from France to the port of Senegal to reclaim the settlement from the British. The Medusa led a small fleet.

The story is hard to imagine, as the Medusa's captain was not competent, he took navigation advise from a fraudulent individual, and eventually sank the ship miles off the west coast of Africa.

The resulting tail is one of bad decisions, irresponsibility, and the horrible misery of those lost at sea.
Nathalie
Feb 26, 2016 Nathalie rated it it was amazing
Can't help myself. My mom recommended it. She knows me too well...

Are you inexplicably drawn to stories that depict horrific human suffering? Do you enjoy reading about pompous and incompetent French naval commanders getting their comeuppance? Are you intrigued by tragedies that influence art movements? Are you disgusted by French colonialism in Africa and the havoc it wreaked in the 19th century? If you answered YES to any of these questions...

I loved every minute of this book with the exceptio
Rachel
This book started out as a fascinating and thorough portrayal of the tragic shipwreck of the Medusa. The author is careful to discuss not only the political intrigue, but also the physical factors that led to the tragedy. But the second half of the book is taken up with a much more didactic accounting of every mention of the Medusa in art, a detailing of the courts martial resulting from the captain's actions, and even similar events in more recent history. In itself, this is not enough to turn ...more
T.K. Naliaka
Jan 11, 2015 T.K. Naliaka rated it really liked it
A disaster that didn't have to happen; a ship's command that had been chosen according to political connections, not practical experience, hubris in ignoring the navigation advice of sailors, and a panicked, not reasoned, abandon-ship order that cast 150 passengers and crew into what became a barely-floating cage match. Crew that chose to stay on board the stricken ship passed their days comfortably, unaware that they'd dodged a deadly and horrific ordeal floating just beyond their view.
A stunni
Brian
Oct 11, 2010 Brian rated it really liked it
I was a little worried that a book devoted to documenting and analyzing a horrific shipwreck off the coast of the SAhara desert would be very explicit and repulsive, but it was a very good read that left the repugnant details a bit off the page and also delved unexpectedly into the aftermath and a short history the famous painting by Théodore Géricault that captured the scene for all times. McKee also compared modern equivalents in search of the answer to his question of whether the Medusa Raft ...more
Mary Mortimer
Mar 25, 2015 Mary Mortimer rated it liked it
McKee paints a portrait of how devastating poor leadership can be. His nonfiction account of the tragedy of the medusa details the many mistakes made and how easily so many deaths could have been prevented. Overall a good book, however, the last several chapters should have been written as an essay to be read along side the book. They were irrelevant to the actual case of the Medusa and were more of minor history lessons and comparisons rather than about the tragedy itself.
Dennis E. Flynn
Jun 03, 2015 Dennis E. Flynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book

Found the story a fascinating study in human nature under duress. The politics that caused the wreck and the public reaction to the events the survivors had gone through. Also a good follow up research into simular modern day events that helped explained the behavior of the victims.
Donna
This includes more detail than Savigny & Corréard's first-hand account of the wreck and the raft, but I was frustrated by the lack of sources. The writing style is also too melodramatic for my taste. The final chapters, about how people reacted to similar events in more recent history, didn't hook into the rest of the book, which made for a choppy ending.
Jim
Nov 06, 2007 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seemed like there were just too many things going on at the same time and not put together all that well, which made the book less enjoyable than I had hoped. There is a lot compeling here---shipwreck, post-revolutionary and Post-Napoleon adjustments, colonialism, art, scandal, etc., but it just wasn't well told.
Jan Schindler
May 29, 2015 Jan Schindler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another low cost ebook. ( check out bookgorilla and bookbub) I was interested in this because of Gericault's incredible painting about it. It is a story of the very worse and best in human beings. I now have more info I can share with my art history students. And to think it all could have been avoided.
Gayle Lawrence
Apr 09, 2016 Gayle Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I wasn't sure I'd like this writing style, it was a bit disjointed. But then, it was a translation into English, and as I read on, it flowed better. Great story, I know I loved it, but have read a few books in between...
What I really need to do is write about the book the day I finish it. Yep!
Jim
Mar 03, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
The first two thirds of this book are very good. The story of what happened to the Medusa was fascinating. The last third.... not so good. The author blathers on and on...about an artist who painted the wreck, about other events that were similar. It was almost as if the publisher demanded so many words and he was just trying to meet his quota.
Andrew
Sep 21, 2016 Andrew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This really could have been better with just a bit of characterization. It is hard to follow all of the separate groups because it bounces between them too quickly and also doesn't do a very good job allowing the reader to feel the passage of time.
Joe Loyless
May 28, 2015 Joe Loyless rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

Excellent - can't believe this is a true story. I really liked how the author made comparisons to other modern situations with similar results. Very highly recommend if you like crazy historical books.
Fred
Dec 28, 2014 Fred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ships, history
So what eventually became of M. Richeforte? I think everyone else was accounted for. I think this was pretty well written. I also liked the other two shipwrecks described in the end chapters, but the hostages in the airplanes should have been left off, I feel.
Jonathan
Jul 24, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had heard of the Medusa and the painting of the wrath as well but was not real familiar with the details. This book filled in the gaps and was a fascinating account of a sad and scandalous shipwreck. Non-fiction at its best and a perfect read for the weekend at the cottage.
Jen
Aug 03, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
Amazing example of what happens in a survival situation without leadership. And how wrong this can go when people drink wine instead of water.
Ronda
Sep 27, 2012 Ronda rated it really liked it
A groundbreaking tale of cannibalism and it's non-fiction. I love the history and the psychology. It inspired me to look for the painting in the Louvre called the Raft of the Medusa. Fascinating.
Marcia S
Feb 21, 2016 Marcia S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting saga of shipwreck caused by inept leadership. Included several related historical stories to analyze effects of such experiences
kim a gillihan
kim a gillihan rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Michael A.
Michael A. rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2011
tony martinez
tony martinez rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Sea Rover's Practice: Pirate Tactics and Techniques, 1630-1730
  • Caliban's Shore: The Wreck of the Grosvenor and the Strange Fate of Her Survivors
  • The Wreck of the Medusa: The Most Famous Sea Disaster of the Nineteenth Century
  • The Gunfighters (The Old West, #8)
  • Batavia's Graveyard: The True Story of the Mad Heretic Who Led History's Bloodiest Mutiny
  • When the Dancing Stopped: The Real Story of the Morro Castle Disaster and Its Deadly Wake
  • Sufferings in Africa: The Incredible True Story of a Shipwreck, Enslavement, and Survival on the Sahara
  • Curse of the Narrows: The Halifax Explosion 1917
  • If a Pirate I Must Be: The True Story of Black Bart, "King of the Caribbean Pirates"
  • Coming Back Alive: The True Story of the Most Harrowing Search and Rescue Mission Ever Attempted on Alaska's High Seas
  • A Dance with Death: Soviet Airwomen in World War II
  • Satan Came to Eden: A Survivor's Account of the "Galapagos Affair"
  • Overboard!: A True Blue-water Odyssey of Disaster and Survival
  • Ice Blink: The Tragic Fate of Sir John Franklin's Lost Polar Expedition
  • In the Wake of Madness: The Murderous Voyage of the Whaleship Sharon
  • A Medieval Life: Cecilia Penifader of Brigstock, c. 1295-1344
  • The Coldest March: Scott's Fatal Antarctic Expedition
  • Abandon Ship! : The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the Navy's Greatest Sea Disaster
Alexander McKee was no "yes-man", he dared to criticise many military, political, economic, media and academic icons and he always kept an open mind. He was fanatical about making his works as accurate as he possibly could. He was ever alert to plain-wrong, biased, distorted or sloppy reports and hidden agendas; wickedly delighting (the more so as a self-educated man) in criticising and exposing a ...more
More about Alexander McKee...