Filsuf Jagoan! Jilid 1

Filsuf Jagoan! Jilid 1

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Apa gerangan pemikiran Plato tentang gagasan sehingga muncul istilah cinta platonik? Apa pendapat Bodhidharma, sang mahaguru kungfu, perihal kebahagiaan hidup? Apa sih konteks komentar Nietzcshe perihal Tuhan Telah Mati? Apa pula inti gagasan Freud tentang perkembangan seksual seseorang?

Buku ini menawarkan saripati sembilan filsuf terkemuka dari pemikiran Barat dan Timur d...more
paperback, 99 pages
Published November 2007 by Kepustakaan Populer Gramedia (first published December 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Filsuf Jagoan! Jilid 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Filsuf Jagoan! Jilid 1

Edward
Learning can be such fun! I love this springboard into philosophical thought.

Publishers Weekly says it is written “...in the spirit of extremely intelligent kids set on making fun of everything...”

I’m with that all the way.

The content is factual, based on my limited knowledge and the Amazon.com reviews, but does it really matter? What matters is it gets you thinking, giving you motivation to explore further.

My remarks on the philosphers:

• Plato - good start for accepting the concept of Philoso...more
Pspealman
Jan 11, 2008 Pspealman rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Curious Teens
Recommended to Pspealman by: savagecritic.com
A nice and light hearted black and white comics that is a touch off beat. I'll be honest the graphics are more cartoon than art, the paper is pulp, and the content introductory - but still this is a real nice piece of intro via comics to a ever widening range of 'philosophers' as the series spirals ever outward.

By 'philosophers' being in quotes I mean to direct your attention to the fact that the book takes a certain liberty in the term that includes people not often thought to be philosophers....more
Billy
Jun 29, 2007 Billy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love good comics and real philosophy
Plato Smash!

The idea of having Plato speak like The Hulk might sound ridiculous in a book that claims to be (at least somewhat) historically accurate. But remember the book is also trying to entertain, and make philosophy fun. No, Plato was not a professional wrestler, but his tendency to destroy to theories of those before him lends itself to this adapted personality. In the end, it all makes sense (somewhat).

Anyway, Action Philosophers is not only enjoyable, but incredibly factual. I actuall...more
Keith Davis
What is not to love about Action Philosophers? Van Lente & Dunlavely present the core ideas of the great philosophers in a humorous irreverent style that actually does not misrepresent or over-simplify too much. I'm not sure if the goal here is to expose comic book readers to the great thinkers of the past, or just give a laugh to former philosophy majors.
Karla
A great pick for people who fancy themselves to be intellectuals but really prefer reading comic books. Not only did this book cover the basic philosophies espoused by several great thinkers, it also provided important biographical information (who knew that Ayn Rand had a thing for much younger men?). I'm looking forward to reading the second volume!
Jessica
Not a narrative story, but comic mini-biographies of Plato, Nietzsche, Freud, etc. See the slaves of Monticello tap Thomas Jefferson on the shoulder and ask, "What about us?" Watch as Ayn Rand's rationalization skills crumble when her lover starts sleeping with a student.
Elliot
I happened upon this comic (and I use the term specifically, because this is not a graphic novel) at the library when I was searching for material on Joseph Campbell.

Perhaps needlessly silly (Plato can be humorous even when he isn't wearing a luchador mask), not to mention occasionally imprecise -- well, it was worth the hour and a half that it took me to flip through, though not much else. Biographies reign here, not bibliographies, making the thinkers more accessible but much less deep.

I didn'...more
Sam
Action Philosophers! is a graphic novel- you guessed it- about philosophers, but presented in a quasi "action hero" guise. It's classed as Fic, though the majority of the contents are decidedly non-fic. It presents graphic profiles of Plato, Nietzsche, Bodhidharma, Ayn Rand, Thomas Jefferson, Saint Augustine, Freud, Carl Jung, and Joseph Campbell. Sounds boring right? Well, this book has a decidedly teen feel... so much so that I highly recommend you all read it just to know what you're getting...more
Shivering William
www.theincompletes.com

You Should Know Better

Reading Comics Into Adulthood

There’s a certain amount of cover covering one must do when reading a comic book in public. The front of ACTION PHILOSOPHERS! has all the explosive lameness that the less-informed would come to expect from a pulpy magazine: rippling muscles, tights, motion lines, bright red background with blinding yellow block text. Little do people know of the deep draught I’m partaking. The philosophy of the ancients with the attention-g...more
John Wiswell
On page one the authors instruct us that this is as factually accurate as possible. On page two, we see Plato guerilla pressing a scrawny pro wrestling whose waist is smaller than Plato's fist.

It is with that great spirit that the artist and scribe produce a black and white comic that mixes slapstick cartoon storytelling with some of the greatest minds in human history. It's dumb humor for smart people, much funnier if you know more, while still funny if you're smart enough to learn. They rapidl...more
Paul Mirek
Caricature and visual metaphor combine in this collection of introductions to some of the world's greatest(?) philosophers: Plato, Nietzsche, Freud, Jung, and more. Each piece conveys both biographical and philosophical information in a fast-paced but eye-catching way, and the connections with modern 21st-century life drive the points home. Van Lente and Dunlavey are clearly close collaborators, and there's a wonderful vitality that comes through on each page. Quite the ride, and a great rec for...more
Theophilus (Theo)
No, I don't just read westerns. If you've always found philosophy boring, try this. Comic book (or should I say graphic novel) style, bite-sized capsule versions of some of the great minds in history. Not much depth here, but just enough so you can say you've heard of them. Plato as a masked wrestler, Thomas Jefferson as an idealist who fails to see his own faults as contrary to what he writes about, a board game by Joseph Campbell to explain his monomyth theory; these philosophers and many more...more
Sara
Action Philosophers! is a graphic novel that explains nine philosophers’ beliefs and what led them to come up with their theories. The book takes an otften dull topic and spins it in a fun and humorous way that keeps readers intrigued and amused. The book covers some adult themes and has some tough vocabulary, but the illustrations and the quick wit will keep older teens and adults reading until the end.

I learned so much from this book and yet I still managed to enjoy myself while doing it. This...more
Ralph Zoontjens
As a comic book maybe not that good, but it's nice to see this unexpected combination! The part about Nietzsche was my favorite.
Rebecca
Oct 19, 2009 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comics fans and philosophy buffs
This is a fun, light-hearted summary (in comic form) of the major ideas of several famous philosophers throughout history. The art is nothing special (it's a style I find unappealing, and it doesn't even have coloring), but the writing is witty and fast-paced. One thing that I particularly enjoyed was the way the author connected each philosopher's ideas to his or her personal life...it adds that personal touch that you don't often get in more academic treatments of philosophical theories. For a...more
Nuni
"aneh"..."lucu"..."pliisss d"

awalnya tiga kata itu yg mewakili sensansi yg gw dapet saat mulai baca buku ini...

lalu kemudian...
"wah jangan2 ini improvisasi penerjemah aja"

tapi kayaknya...
sepanjang gw baca, buku ini adalah review yg dilakukan Fred dan Ryan yang merupakan interpretasi dan kritik mreka atas teori2 para filsuf yg di review disini...
ada gambar pliss deh-nya teori perbatasan dunia gelap dan dunia terang yang ada tukang jual oleh2 perbatasan [jadi inget waktu di skouw..:p]

trus ternyata...more
Emma
This was a fun way to get reacquainted with some great philosophers, or rather great minds, as you have there some spiritual masters and some psychologists. I thought their basic theories were well summed up, and of course often in a very funny way. So if you are afraid of launching into philosophy, that’s a great springboard.
There are 3 volumes available I believe.
I include larger cover pictures, so that you can see the names of the authors featured in each volume.

full post:
P e t t y
Membaca komik ini bagaikan memahami filsafat dengan cara yang easy-going!! Dibumbui dengan jokes yang cukup lucu sehingga membuat pelajaran filsafat jadi menyenangkan. Walaupun gue pribadi sedikit keteteran untuk memahami beberapa filsafat yang belum gue kurang familiar. But it's OK lah... I still could follow.

Komik ini recommended banget buat orang-orang yang belum pernah baca mengenai filsafat sebelumnya (kayak gue) dan pengen tau tentang filsafat dengan cara yang lebih kerutan-kening-free.
Emil
An interesting, if light introduction to a number of philosophers. Their section on Bodhidharma was the most interesting to me, if only because I've read very little of his history. My father, a philosophy major, was wary of some of their interpretations of the philosophers involved, but took no real issue with the text and enjoyed it.

Van Lente and Dunlavey also have a series on the history of comics that I found superior to their work on philsophers, but Goodreads doesn't include comic issues.
Andrew
This is a delightfully tongue-in-cheek look at philosophy and the lives of philosophers that is as informative as it is hilarious. Highly recommended for students and anyone interested in the art, even if you have a hard time with the comic book format.
Matt
A fun way to learn biographical info as well as theoretical basics of the philosophers covered. Sharp, wicked humor in the tight writing and clean art make it an enjoyable read.
Ameru
Kocak bgt bacanya...
(gw baca versi terjemahannya => "filsuf jagoan"..)^ ^
klo baca 'filsuf jagoan' ini ga berasa baca literatur filsafat...jadi belajar sambil ngomik.
Caroline
Totally fun edu-tainment, with a lot of information about famous philosophers over the years, in lively and humorous cartoon form.

A good education or refresher.
Jackie
I do like it when highly intellectual subject matter (such as the theories of philosophers) are given to me in simplified, comic-book form. Highly recommended.
Norah
Action Philosophers is my new favorite thing in the entire world!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you hear me???? The entire word! Possibly the entire universe. PLATO SMASH!!!!!
Michael
Wow, talk about not judging a book by its cover! Presents dense, often misconstrued ideas irreverently and elegantly. Highest possible recommendation!
Peacegal
Philosophy class was never so much fun. I really enjoyed this distillation of various thinkers' biographies and beliefs into a humor-filled graphic novel.
Neni Puji Artanti
mungkin karna terjemahan kali yak makanya ga gitu kena. rating 3,94 bok, banyak riviu bagus juga. but 2 stars from me is enough :p
Miki
Fun book covering the philosophies and lives of Plato, Nietzsche, Freud, Jung, Rand, Jefferson, St. Augustine, Campbell and others.
Anggi Hafiz Al Hakam
Belajar filsafat tidak selalu harus serius sambil membaca kitab suci para filsuf. Just read this, and you'll get everything from them.
  • Cartoon History of the Universe II, Vol. 8-13: From the Springtime of China to the Fall of Rome
  • Comic Book History of Comics
  • The Fatal Bullet: The Assassination of James A. Garfield
  • Kings in Disguise: A Novel
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: The Dead (B.P.R.D., #4)
  • An Anthology of Graphic Fiction, Cartoons, and True Stories
  • Love and Rockets: New Stories #3
  • Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 2
  • Kabuki, Vol. 7: The Alchemy
  • The Pro
  • Digger, Volume Two
  • Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E.
  • Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book
  • George Sprott, 1894-1975
  • Rex Mundi, Vol. 1: The Guardian of the Temple
  • Mafalda 3
Marvel Zombies 3 Marvel Zombies 4 X-Men Noir Marvel Zombies Return Action Philosophers!: the lives and thoughts of history's A-list brain trust