The Sacred Echo: Hearing God's Voice in Every Area of Your Life

The Sacred Echo: Hearing God's Voice in Every Area of Your Life

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Don t Listen For the Voice of God. Listen for His Echo. When God really wants to get your attention, he doesn t just say something once. He echoes. He speaks through a Sunday sermon, a chance conversation with a friend the next day, even a random email. The same theme, idea, impression, or lesson will repeat itself in surprising and unexpected ways until you realize that m...more
Published August 10th 2008 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published July 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Sacred Echo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacred Echo

Tom
I think Margaret Feinberg is a fine writer. Very passionate, real, honest and raw. I liked this book quite a bit. I think she has much potential but I started to compare her to my all time favorite author....Philip Yancey and became somewhat disappointed.

What I do like about her is that she opens herself up and let's us look honestly at her life (her struggles, her joys, her pains, her disappointments, etc). I do like that throughout the whole book she doesn't say "this is how prayer is supposed...more
Tiffany
Sep 17, 2008 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
My husband recommended this book to me. I had read Organic God a couple of years ago and I loved it. I equally enjoyed The Sacred Echo as well.

What I loved is how she directed the reader to scripture. We can hear God audibly through His word. And she pointed out that when God repeats something in the bible....it is really worth paying attention to. I had come across some views that stated her book is about praying more in order to get what we want from Him. Or that this is false doctrine from t...more
Travis
I was lucky to be one of the few fans that got a chance to receive an advance copy of The Sacred Echo from Margaret Feinberg herself.

What I always loved about Feinberg is the way she writes about God. To her, God isn't just some abstract idea of a Thing in the Sky (I must confess that sometimes I limit God to this abstract idea); God is an ever-present force in our lives. In her latest book, Feinberg talks about how God speaks to us--a "sacred echo" where God will often repeat Himself to get Hi...more
Nan
Oct 14, 2011 Nan is currently reading it
I am still in the midst of this book--but I can say, so far, I love it because it resonates. It resonates because it gives words to the truth of how God works in our lives by repeatedly echoing to us a word or phrase or concept to get our attention to where He is working in our life, midst, etc. I have experienced this phenomena. This is an easy to read book full of deep truths. I highly recommend it.
Natalie Snapp
Oh my word...I'm almost finished but wow...Wonderful book. She's my new favorite writer...
Rebecca Tellez
I loved this book. It really challenged me to look for the echos of God in my own life. It is not a "how to" book on prayer but rather a journey of exploration of how to hear God's voice for yourself. Highly recommend this book
Laurie
I loved this book. It was filled with questions to answer in the back, as well as Bible passages to read for further study. However, before I started reading the book, I thought it was going to be about helping people hear God more in their life. Instead, it was about understanding what you were hearing from God, and so it assumed that you were already getting "sacred echos" from God. So if you aren't, then this book might just frustrate you, as it did me sometimes, despite my intense love of it...more
Sherill Clontz
Oct 25, 2008 Sherill Clontz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: thames robinson
The Sacred Echo is a wonderfully, honest and faithful exploration of prayer and how God speaks to us repeatedly in our daily lives. Feinberg is not afraid to tackle the hard questions of unanswered prayer, doubts, and struggles so the book really rings true to lived experience. She presents prayer as a lifestyle that continues despite the doubts, waits and struggles. The end of the book has some great reflection questions and I think it would be a great book for a small group to read and reflect...more
Janet
Margaret talks about her health struggles and family and friends illnesses, and her experiences in healing and prayer. The main message in this book is this (p.25) "As I grow in my relationship with God, I find that he often uses the repetition of a phrase or word or idea represented in Scripture not only to get, but also to keep my attention." Margaret then shares times when God got her attention.
Margaret has a joyful relationship with God, which I find refreshing and encouraging.
Brandy Smith
I really enjoyed seeing Margaret Feinberg at an Extraordinary Women's conference this year, what she had to say moved me. So when I had an opportunity to buy one of her books at the conference, this is the one I chose. It's not every day that I get emotional about a book, but I have to say there were several things in this one God really used to speak to my heart. I am very glad I picked this one up!
Kirstin
From the back cover, "When God really wants to get your attention, he doesn't just whisper something once. He echoes - - - " I read this on vacation on the Big Island. I have a renewed commitment to keep praying, keep listening for God's persistent voice in my life - - - in spite of distractions. Feinberg is an out-of-the-box thinker.
Sandi Mackenzie
I love how Margaret Feinberg describes her relationship with God in making her points...she makes it easily to relate to for your own personal life. That God speaks to us constantly and we can ask Him anything, at anytime...if you want to improve your perspective on prayer and your prayers...this is a good read.
Jason
Jul 15, 2010 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I follow Margaret's blog so I thought that I would give her books a try. This one did not disappoint. It focuses on prayer. That may sound boring to you but she encouraged me to find God in his repeating phrases.

Great read for anyone who is at a place of struggling to hear God speak in their life.
I love this book and I love this author. She has the ability to write the way she speaks to people, which makes her books very warm and understandable. She also has a great mind, and you can take what she writes and actually use it in real life. This book is an excellent example of those attributes.
Stacey
We read this for our mops bible study. I just saw Margaret Feinberg speak at the MOPS convention and I loved what she had to say. She was eloquent, gracious, and biblical.

I got a lot out of this study and the friends I shared it with. I am thankful for God's persistent voice in my life.
Suzie
If you are looking to deepen your prayer life, this is a really great and practical book. The best thing about Margaret Feinberg is that she brings Scriptures to life and as you read her book, you want to actually put it down and open your Bible to gain the type of perspective she has.
Jessica
Whenever I read a piece of work written by Margaret Feinberg, it is like diving into a delectable dessert. I want to gobble it up all I once, yet I also want to savor the experience and make it last as long as possible. I love her candidness and ability to think outside of the box.
Rebecca
Another good one by Margaret Feinberg. I didn't really get into until a third of the way in - I don't think that's the book's fault.

It should score a 3.5.

Nicely balanced, some new insights, some reminders of old. Lots of stories. Beautifully authentic.
Heather Hampton
This book was very inspiring and encouraging! This book helps you to focus on your relationship with God and get closer to God through prayer and listening to Gods voice. This book is very beautifully written and a great read!
James
What has God been saying to you, is saying to you and keeps saying to you. Margaret Feinberg explores the themes that pop up again and again in the life of prayer. Quick read, and a good book on prayer.
Christy Carmean
Love the concept of Sacred Echoes- reoccurring themes in your life that God uses to get your attention. This book made me more aware of those times in my life and is helping me get the most out of them.
Shauna Barber
Some of the concepts in this book were a little basic for me but it was still a great book. I read it in conjunction with the bible study and it really helped tie everything together.
Jenise
Aug 21, 2012 Jenise added it
This is a spiritually uplifting read. Just when you think you are just worn to the bone, find the women in the Bible that have walked the same path and what they did to get by.
Rick
A gentle voice encouraging us to listen to God. This was my first experience reading this author. Some wonderful stories drawn from her life experiences.
Alona
LOVED IT, NOW STARTING BY THE SAME AUTHOR ( THE ORGANIC GOD ) . Love reading Margaret Feinberg. The Sacred Echo really stays with you. God is always working.
Rachel Russell
amazing book! my copy is all marked up. will definitely be revisiting this one again! hurry up amazon I cant wait to read margaret's "organic God"
Julie M
I loved this book and the concept of listening to cues from God. She addresses a lot of my problem areas with sensitivity and Scripture.
Kelly
I really enjoy Feinberg's writing style and have started seeing God's 'echos' in my own life since reading this book.
Heather
Sep 17, 2011 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to get deeper in their faith
Recommended to Heather by: Keith Langland
Loved this book ... it was a very quick read, mostly because I couldn't wait to hear what else she had to say.
Teryll
Margaret Feinberg's latest book addresses the relevance and the struggles we face when "hearing God's voice".
What is Your Church Attitude? 1 13 Mar 18, 2009 03:49PM
  • Classic Christianity: Life's Too Short to Miss the Real Thing
  • Unconditional?: The call of Jesus to radical forgiveness
  • True Faced: Trust God and Others with Who You Really Are
  • The Sacredness of Questioning Everything
  • James Madison (The American Presidents, #4)
  • Fall to Grace: A Revolution of God, Self & Society
Margaret Feinberg is a popular Bible teacher and speaker at churches and leading conferences such as Catalyst, Thrive and Extraordinary Women. Her books and Bible studies have sold over 600,000 copies and received critical acclaim and extensive national media coverage from CNN, the Associated Press, USA Today, Los Angeles Times, Washington Post and more.

She was recently named one of 50 women most...more
More about Margaret Feinberg...
Scouting the Divine: My Search for God in Wine, Wool, and Wild Honey The Organic God Wonderstruck: Awaken to the Nearness of God Twentysomething: Surviving and Thriving in the Real World Hungry for God: Hearing God's Voice in the Ordinary and the Everyday

“And like an echo, God often uses the repetitive events and themes in daily life to get my attention and draw me closer to himself." - The Sacred Echo” 4 likes
“Slowly, God is opening my eyes to needs all around me. In Scripture, God revisits this issue of caring for the poor- an echo that repeats itself from Genesis to Revelation. The Bible acknowledges that the poor will always be part of society, but God takes on their cause. The Mosaic law of the Old Testament is filled with regulations to prevent and eliminate poverty. The poor were given the right to glean- to take produce from the unharvested edges of the fields, a portion of the tithes, and a daily wage. The law prevented permanent slavery by releasing Jewish bondsmen and women on the sabbatical and Jubilee year and forbade charging interest on loans. In one of his most tender acts, God made sure that the poor- the aliens, widows, and orphans- were all invited to the feasts.” 2 likes