Start by marking “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  3,441 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
A picture book retelling of C. S. Lewis's classic story, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, for the youngest fans! Introduce them to the magic of Narnia with this picture book featuring illustrations by Tudor Humphries.

Now younger children can share the magical experience, entering into a world of enchantment that will forever lure them back. Four adventurous siblings s
Published September 21st 2004 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by Hiawyn OramLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlRamona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
Books for eight-year-old children
2nd out of 585 books — 544 voters
Anissa of Syria by Zack LoveThe Syrian Virgin by Zack LoveRunning Scarred by Jackie WilliamsElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Books To Love
9th out of 140 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 28, 2007 Nancy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: middleschool & up
The movie was also great. This is my favorite out of the whole Narnia series. I think it teaches you to be brave during the hard times and as long as you are true to your heart, nothing can stop you or separate you from your loved ones.
Sara tamling
Feb 14, 2008 Sara tamling rated it it was amazing
THis one is not my favorite of the series but its essential. The Last Battle is my all time favorite
Mandy J. Hoffman
Mar 11, 2010 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
This, the child's version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, is an excellent way to introduce your children to the classic books by C.S. Lewis. It covers the basic points of the original book in a much shorter version but with the same great lessons. It is in storybook format with beautiful, life-like illustrations.

I really liked this book, and surprisingly, so did my 6yo and 4yo daughters. I thought they would be afraid of the pictures of the White Witch, but they were not and they enjoye
Lewis, C.S. (2004). The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe. New York: Harper Collins.
(Retold by Hiawyn Oram)

Four children, Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy discover a fantastic world (Narnia) on the other side of the wardrobe, meeting Mr. Tummus the faun, the White Witch, and Aslan the lion. After Edmund betrays them to the White Witch, the children help Aslan to conquer the White Witch’s army. Beautiful illustrations help to supplement the limited storyline (as this is an adaptation of the
Nicole Pourchier
I'm currently reading this picturebook version of C.S. Lewis' classic every night to my three-year-old. When I was pregnant with her, I was teaching third grade and the 2005 movie was on the verge of release. My students were intrigued by the story and begged me to read a chapter each day. It was a delight to see the entrancement on my students' faces as I read, which led me to get carried away, usually cheating on my one-chapter-rule. We zoomed through the book just in time for the holiday rele ...more
Jun 11, 2010 Sharla rated it it was amazing
I love these books! My husband got me the boxed set after the birth of our son (in lieu of flowers), and I devoured them immediately. They are well written and captivating. I love the gentle voice of the narrator in the books. These are books that I have returned to through the years, and will probably continue to do so.
Melrose Park Kids
Four siblings walk through a closet door and into the land of Narnia, which has been taken over by the White Witch. Only they have the power to fight back against her evil reign.
Aug 18, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
the beginning scene is one of my all-time favorites--the feeling of the pushing through the furs to find the cold wind on their faces.
Kristina  UK
I read this to my children but I like they, skipped over the allegorical Christian message in the story. I treated it as if it was just a great fantasy aimed at children. One day I'll go back and re-read all of the Narnia books, but I'll probably still try to ignore the Christian allegory.
Esmeralda Plangesis
Aug 22, 2011 Esmeralda Plangesis rated it liked it
Actually I found the film more bearable. I believe it was originally written to stimulate the imagination of young children and therefore a story that my son, during his Primary school years found a lot more interesting.
May 16, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
I can't believe I missed all the Christian symbolism when I was a kid. My kids enjoyed the story and it was fun to share it with them and point out the Christian parallels.
Jessica H
Sep 22, 2011 Jessica H rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Read this book when I was in 5th grade. It's timeless and everyone should read it once in their life.
Nov 21, 2011 Skyblueteapot rated it really liked it
This is a much-loved book from my childhood, which I have just reread in Russian. For a foreign language learner it's not the easiest of books, a high narration to dialogue ratio, a lot of description of scenery and weather. In addition the high level of borrowing from all manner of European mythological traditions means there is a lot of vocabulary related to fauns, dryads, centaurs and satyrs. Probably a high C1 book, in spite of its intended native readership of 10 year olds.
Jul 10, 2012 Nathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Purchased this picture book to read with my 4 year old son. It does a pretty good job of summarizing the great original, but some of the wording could be better, and some sentences are split between pages, making reading a bit difficult. It's a decent version, if you feel your small child isn't ready for the longer classic by CS Lewis.
Paul Bulger
A fun, light adventure that's very well written for kids. I don't equate it with anything else C.S. Lewis ever wrote, but it's an excellent starter book for developing kids who are are on their way to bigger and more important pieces of literature.
Feb 01, 2015 Shauni rated it really liked it
My dad read this book to me when I was 6 or 7, and I've read it on my own a few times as well. I just finished reading it to my 6-year-old, who also loved it and is excited for the rest of the series. We talked very briefly about the Christian symbolism.
Emma Wilde
Dec 09, 2014 Emma Wilde rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eng261
A wonderful and beautifully illustrated picture book adaptation of a great book. Kids who have seen the movie, or read the original book will absolutely love this version. It is very well told, and makes sure to include all of the main details that make the original so great. Great for kids of all ages, and great to have in a classroom library for free time.
Hamza Kataw
Apr 18, 2015 Hamza Kataw rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2015 Noah rated it really liked it

I'll bet you did not know that it is possible to travel through wardrobes, well it isn't, but C.S. Lewis, the author of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe makes it possible. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is the first book of the fantasy series. The four main characters go into the professor's wardrobe that leads them to the land of Narnia. The four siblings encounter the troubles that are going on in Narnia, become friends with Mr. Tumnus, meet the talking lion, Aslan, and help defeat
Aug 21, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
The book was ok but the kids really want to hear the full version. I am planning on listening to the audio series this year with the kids.
Keranjit Kaur
Aug 28, 2015 Keranjit Kaur rated it really liked it
I reread this classic. I love the story and Lucy will always be my favourite of the four siblings. A superb story.
Olumide Babatunde
Sep 02, 2015 Olumide Babatunde rated it did not like it
Dec 28, 2015 Danae added it
*I've never read this adaptation of Narnia, but since I can't count "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader'" again, I am counting this one. I really wish GoodReads would let me count books toward my goal more than once.*
Anita Kovacevic
Dec 29, 2015 Anita Kovacevic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
Simply wonderful!

Isn't it a joy to stumble onto a wonderful picture book version of a classical tale in a small town library and then share it with your child?

Ever since I first heard a version of the tales of Narnia, it became one of my favourite fantasy worlds ever. This is one of those stories you can read by yourself or to your children and students of all ages, especially if you have a suitable version for them. On the level of pure fairy tale, it is beautiful and educational, and on the l
Shawn Birss
Jan 14, 2016 Shawn Birss rated it really liked it
I introduced my twins to Narnia through this book when they were almost four. They had just the right attention span for it. Having read it to them so many times, and having them discover it on their own, they were quite prepared to sit through the entire original book when they were five. Without it, they may have not been ready. It is a beautiful, faithful retelling, and faithfully illustrated, even sticking carefully to details of the original book that didn't make it into the simplified text ...more
Ginnie Grant
Jan 20, 2016 Ginnie Grant rated it it was amazing
a beautiful photographic re-telling and a great way to introduce younger children to the magic of Narnia.
Jul 29, 2016 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, kids-books
This is a kids (shorter) version of C.S. Lewis' classic novel. This is a story that we want Brooklyn to have a lot of exposure to: kids book, movie, kids versions. While it's shorter than the novel, it was still a long book for a children's book.

My daughter did well sitting for this story even though it was long. I think the illustrations had enough going on in them that it still captivated her attention. The illustrations felt very classic and old-fashioned - though the characters didn't look a
Jane Night
Sep 24, 2016 Jane Night rated it liked it
I am a huge fan of the Narnia books and this was a decent retelling.
My main issue with the book was that it was too text heavy and did not keep my 5 yr olds attention at all. She has seen the Narnia movies and enjoyed the story but she was really impatient with this reading experience.
The illustrations are lovely but again not enough to keep her attention for the dense text.
Sep 26, 2016 Paul rated it liked it
This book is a retelling of a classic novel. Hopefully if you read this to your students, it will get them interested in wanting to pick up the novel later on down the road.
Oct 09, 2016 Kristina rated it really liked it
this is the first time I have read anything about Narnia. my daughter brought it home from school and we both really enjoyed this book. I would recommend this book to others.
  • Super Sleuths! (Nancy Drew & The Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The Early Years Collection (Little House, #1, 3-6)
  • Wings of Equity
  • Dinosaur's Binkit
  • A Candle in Her Room
  • Shadow in the Deep (Binding of the Blade #3)
  • The Graphic Canon, Vol. 3: From Heart of Darkness to Hemingway to Infinite Jest (The Graphic Canon #3)
  • A Dance to the Music of Time: 1st Movement (A Dance to the Music of Time, #1-3)
  • The Zoo
  • The Story of the Nutcracker Ballet
  • Ginger and Petunia
  • Spring is Here
  • Kingdom's Quest (Kingdom, #5)
  • The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version  (The Last Unicorn)
  • The Story of Easter
  • Butterfly Weed
  • Bad Dog, Marley!
  • One Leaf Rides the Wind
Hiawyn Oram is a very successful author of children's books in Britain. Her books include the popular Not-So-Grizzly Bear Stories, the Animal Heroes series, and Mona the Vampire. She lives in London.
More about Hiawyn Oram...