Start by marking “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,180 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
A picture book retelling of C. S. Lewis's classic story, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, for the youngest fans! Introduce them to the magic of Narnia with this picture book featuring illustrations by Tudor Humphries.

Now younger children can share the magical experience, entering into a world of enchantment that will forever lure them back. Four adventurous siblings s
Published September 21st 2004 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by Hiawyn OramLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Books for eight-year-old children
2nd out of 573 books — 593 voters
Anissa of Syria by Zack LoveThe Syrian Virgin by Zack LoveRunning Scarred by Jackie WilliamsElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Books To Love
8th out of 141 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Mandy J. Hoffman
Mar 11, 2010 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
This, the child's version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, is an excellent way to introduce your children to the classic books by C.S. Lewis. It covers the basic points of the original book in a much shorter version but with the same great lessons. It is in storybook format with beautiful, life-like illustrations.

I really liked this book, and surprisingly, so did my 6yo and 4yo daughters. I thought they would be afraid of the pictures of the White Witch, but they were not and they enjoye
Karen
Aug 21, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
The book was ok but the kids really want to hear the full version. I am planning on listening to the audio series this year with the kids.
Anita Kovacevic
Dec 29, 2015 Anita Kovacevic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
Simply wonderful!

Isn't it a joy to stumble onto a wonderful picture book version of a classical tale in a small town library and then share it with your child?

Ever since I first heard a version of the tales of Narnia, it became one of my favourite fantasy worlds ever. This is one of those stories you can read by yourself or to your children and students of all ages, especially if you have a suitable version for them. On the level of pure fairy tale, it is beautiful and educational, and on the l
Lv2readB
Lewis, C.S. (2004). The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe. New York: Harper Collins.
(Retold by Hiawyn Oram)

Summary:
Four children, Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy discover a fantastic world (Narnia) on the other side of the wardrobe, meeting Mr. Tummus the faun, the White Witch, and Aslan the lion. After Edmund betrays them to the White Witch, the children help Aslan to conquer the White Witch’s army. Beautiful illustrations help to supplement the limited storyline (as this is an adaptation of the
Nicole Pourchier
I'm currently reading this picturebook version of C.S. Lewis' classic every night to my three-year-old. When I was pregnant with her, I was teaching third grade and the 2005 movie was on the verge of release. My students were intrigued by the story and begged me to read a chapter each day. It was a delight to see the entrancement on my students' faces as I read, which led me to get carried away, usually cheating on my one-chapter-rule. We zoomed through the book just in time for the holiday rele ...more
Shawn Birss
Jan 14, 2016 Shawn Birss rated it really liked it
I introduced my twins to Narnia through this book when they were almost four. They had just the right attention span for it. Having read it to them so many times, and having them discover it on their own, they were quite prepared to sit through the entire original book when they were five. Without it, they may have not been ready. It is a beautiful, faithful retelling, and faithfully illustrated, even sticking carefully to details of the original book that didn't make it into the simplified text ...more
Noah
Jun 01, 2015 Noah rated it really liked it
Shelves:

I'll bet you did not know that it is possible to travel through wardrobes, well it isn't, but C.S. Lewis, the author of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe makes it possible. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is the first book of the fantasy series. The four main characters go into the professor's wardrobe that leads them to the land of Narnia. The four siblings encounter the troubles that are going on in Narnia, become friends with Mr. Tumnus, meet the talking lion, Aslan, and help defeat
Skyblueteapot
Nov 21, 2011 Skyblueteapot rated it really liked it
This is a much-loved book from my childhood, which I have just reread in Russian. For a foreign language learner it's not the easiest of books, a high narration to dialogue ratio, a lot of description of scenery and weather. In addition the high level of borrowing from all manner of European mythological traditions means there is a lot of vocabulary related to fauns, dryads, centaurs and satyrs. Probably a high C1 book, in spite of its intended native readership of 10 year olds.
Emma Wilde
Dec 09, 2014 Emma Wilde rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eng261
A wonderful and beautifully illustrated picture book adaptation of a great book. Kids who have seen the movie, or read the original book will absolutely love this version. It is very well told, and makes sure to include all of the main details that make the original so great. Great for kids of all ages, and great to have in a classroom library for free time.
Nathan
Jul 10, 2012 Nathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Purchased this picture book to read with my 4 year old son. It does a pretty good job of summarizing the great original, but some of the wording could be better, and some sentences are split between pages, making reading a bit difficult. It's a decent version, if you feel your small child isn't ready for the longer classic by CS Lewis.
Sharla
Jun 11, 2010 Sharla rated it it was amazing
I love these books! My husband got me the boxed set after the birth of our son (in lieu of flowers), and I devoured them immediately. They are well written and captivating. I love the gentle voice of the narrator in the books. These are books that I have returned to through the years, and will probably continue to do so.
Kristina  UK
I read this to my children but I like they, skipped over the allegorical Christian message in the story. I treated it as if it was just a great fantasy aimed at children. One day I'll go back and re-read all of the Narnia books, but I'll probably still try to ignore the Christian allegory.
Hamza Kataw
Apr 18, 2015 Hamza Kataw rated it liked it
Keranjit Kaur
Aug 28, 2015 Keranjit Kaur rated it really liked it
I reread this classic. I love the story and Lucy will always be my favourite of the four siblings. A superb story.
Ginnie Grant
Jan 20, 2016 Ginnie Grant rated it it was amazing
a beautiful photographic re-telling and a great way to introduce younger children to the magic of Narnia.
Olumide Babatunde
Sep 02, 2015 Olumide Babatunde rated it did not like it
sucks
Jessica Murad
Dec 11, 2014 Jessica Murad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edu261-childlit
One of my favorite books of all time. C.S. Lewis became one of my favorite authors because of this series. I like how there are strong characters and lead roles that truly make the story what it is. Great to start reading in a 6th grade classroom (where I fist encountered this book). Although there are many books that have come after this one, the first will always be my favorite.
Danae
Dec 28, 2015 Danae added it
*I've never read this adaptation of Narnia, but since I can't count "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader'" again, I am counting this one. I really wish GoodReads would let me count books toward my goal more than once.*
Savannah
Jun 14, 2016 Savannah rated it really liked it
The best book of the series!
Shauni
Feb 01, 2015 Shauni rated it really liked it
My dad read this book to me when I was 6 or 7, and I've read it on my own a few times as well. I just finished reading it to my 6-year-old, who also loved it and is excited for the rest of the series. We talked very briefly about the Christian symbolism.
Paul Bulger
A fun, light adventure that's very well written for kids. I don't equate it with anything else C.S. Lewis ever wrote, but it's an excellent starter book for developing kids who are are on their way to bigger and more important pieces of literature.
Nancy
Feb 28, 2007 Nancy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: middleschool & up
The movie was also great. This is my favorite out of the whole Narnia series. I think it teaches you to be brave during the hard times and as long as you are true to your heart, nothing can stop you or separate you from your loved ones.
Esmeralda Plangesis
Aug 22, 2011 Esmeralda Plangesis rated it liked it
Actually I found the film more bearable. I believe it was originally written to stimulate the imagination of young children and therefore a story that my son, during his Primary school years found a lot more interesting.
Anna
May 16, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
I can't believe I missed all the Christian symbolism when I was a kid. My kids enjoyed the story and it was fun to share it with them and point out the Christian parallels.
Melrose Park Kids
Four siblings walk through a closet door and into the land of Narnia, which has been taken over by the White Witch. Only they have the power to fight back against her evil reign.
Nancy
Aug 18, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
the beginning scene is one of my all-time favorites--the feeling of the pushing through the furs to find the cold wind on their faces.
Casey
Aug 20, 2011 Casey rated it really liked it
i love cs lewis, how he's christian, and how in every book and movie, aslan really reflects that. i love this series so much
Lyn
Jan 25, 2010 Lyn rated it it was amazing
One of the best books of all time. Again this happens to be a book that I think everyone should read (more than once)
Jessica H
Sep 22, 2011 Jessica H rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Read this book when I was in 5th grade. It's timeless and everyone should read it once in their life.
Sara tamling
Feb 14, 2008 Sara tamling rated it it was amazing
THis one is not my favorite of the series but its essential. The Last Battle is my all time favorite
  • Dinosaur's Binkit
  • The Early Years Collection (Little House, #1, 3-6)
  • A Candle in Her Room
  • The Graphic Canon, Vol. 3: From Heart of Darkness to Hemingway to Infinite Jest (The Graphic Canon #3)
  • Shadow in the Deep (Binding of the Blade #3)
  • Ginger and Petunia
  • Wings of Equity
  • America: A Patriotic Primer
  • The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version  (The Last Unicorn)
  • The Story of the Nutcracker Ballet
  • Kingdom's Reign (Kingdom, #6)
  • King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table,stories from Camelot (Junior Classics)
  • The Story of Easter
  • Bad Dog, Marley!
  • Butterfly Weed
  • Little Audrey
  • A Goat's Song
  • The Bride That Time Forgot (Brenda & Effie Mystery #5)
Hiawyn Oram is a very successful author of children's books in Britain. Her books include the popular Not-So-Grizzly Bear Stories, the Animal Heroes series, and Mona the Vampire. She lives in London.
More about Hiawyn Oram...