Start by marking “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,253 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A picture book retelling of C. S. Lewis's classic story, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, for the youngest fans! Introduce them to the magic of Narnia with this picture book featuring illustrations by Tudor Humphries.

Now younger children can share the magical experience, entering into a world of enchantment that will forever lure them back. Four adventurous siblings s
Published September 21st 2004 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by Hiawyn OramLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderI Can Cook by Marika GermanisI Can Cook " Cake Baking" by Marika Germanis
Books for eight-year-old children
2nd out of 518 books — 440 voters
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Silver Chair by C.S. LewisThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
Books for 11 year olds
59th out of 101 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Mandy J. Hoffman
This, the child's version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, is an excellent way to introduce your children to the classic books by C.S. Lewis. It covers the basic points of the original book in a much shorter version but with the same great lessons. It is in storybook format with beautiful, life-like illustrations.

I really liked this book, and surprisingly, so did my 6yo and 4yo daughters. I thought they would be afraid of the pictures of the White Witch, but they were not and they enjoye
Lv2readB
Lewis, C.S. (2004). The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe. New York: Harper Collins.
(Retold by Hiawyn Oram)

Summary:
Four children, Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy discover a fantastic world (Narnia) on the other side of the wardrobe, meeting Mr. Tummus the faun, the White Witch, and Aslan the lion. After Edmund betrays them to the White Witch, the children help Aslan to conquer the White Witch’s army. Beautiful illustrations help to supplement the limited storyline (as this is an adaptation of the
Nicole Pourchier
I'm currently reading this picturebook version of C.S. Lewis' classic every night to my three-year-old. When I was pregnant with her, I was teaching third grade and the 2005 movie was on the verge of release. My students were intrigued by the story and begged me to read a chapter each day. It was a delight to see the entrancement on my students' faces as I read, which led me to get carried away, usually cheating on my one-chapter-rule. We zoomed through the book just in time for the holiday rele ...more
Jessica Murad
One of my favorite books of all time. C.S. Lewis became one of my favorite authors because of this series. I like how there are strong characters and lead roles that truly make the story what it is. Great to start reading in a 6th grade classroom (where I fist encountered this book). Although there are many books that have come after this one, the first will always be my favorite.
Emma Wilde
A wonderful and beautifully illustrated picture book adaptation of a great book. Kids who have seen the movie, or read the original book will absolutely love this version. It is very well told, and makes sure to include all of the main details that make the original so great. Great for kids of all ages, and great to have in a classroom library for free time.
Hamza Kataw
Skyblueteapot
This is a much-loved book from my childhood, which I have just reread in Russian. For a foreign language learner it's not the easiest of books, a high narration to dialogue ratio, a lot of description of scenery and weather. In addition the high level of borrowing from all manner of European mythological traditions means there is a lot of vocabulary related to fauns, dryads, centaurs and satyrs. Probably a high C1 book, in spite of its intended native readership of 10 year olds.
Nathan
Purchased this picture book to read with my 4 year old son. It does a pretty good job of summarizing the great original, but some of the wording could be better, and some sentences are split between pages, making reading a bit difficult. It's a decent version, if you feel your small child isn't ready for the longer classic by CS Lewis.
Sharla
I love these books! My husband got me the boxed set after the birth of our son (in lieu of flowers), and I devoured them immediately. They are well written and captivating. I love the gentle voice of the narrator in the books. These are books that I have returned to through the years, and will probably continue to do so.
Kristina  UK
I read this to my children but I like they, skipped over the allegorical Christian message in the story. I treated it as if it was just a great fantasy aimed at children. One day I'll go back and re-read all of the Narnia books, but I'll probably still try to ignore the Christian allegory.
Shauni
My dad read this book to me when I was 6 or 7, and I've read it on my own a few times as well. I just finished reading it to my 6-year-old, who also loved it and is excited for the rest of the series. We talked very briefly about the Christian symbolism.
Paul Bulger
A fun, light adventure that's very well written for kids. I don't equate it with anything else C.S. Lewis ever wrote, but it's an excellent starter book for developing kids who are are on their way to bigger and more important pieces of literature.
Nancy
Feb 28, 2007 Nancy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middleschool & up
The movie was also great. This is my favorite out of the whole Narnia series. I think it teaches you to be brave during the hard times and as long as you are true to your heart, nothing can stop you or separate you from your loved ones.
Esmeralda Plangesis
Actually I found the film more bearable. I believe it was originally written to stimulate the imagination of young children and therefore a story that my son, during his Primary school years found a lot more interesting.
Melrose Park Kids
Four siblings walk through a closet door and into the land of Narnia, which has been taken over by the White Witch. Only they have the power to fight back against her evil reign.
Nancy
the beginning scene is one of my all-time favorites--the feeling of the pushing through the furs to find the cold wind on their faces.
Casey
i love cs lewis, how he's christian, and how in every book and movie, aslan really reflects that. i love this series so much
Lyn
One of the best books of all time. Again this happens to be a book that I think everyone should read (more than once)
Jessica H
Read this book when I was in 5th grade. It's timeless and everyone should read it once in their life.
Sara tamling
THis one is not my favorite of the series but its essential. The Last Battle is my all time favorite
Marie Belyea
this is a great book for kids or adults who want to escape into a lost innocence
Vicki G
Another book I think I would have liked better if I'd been introduced to it as a child.
Carly
One of the best series, and great for all ages. I will cherish my copy forever.
Kate Mollohan
I read this book in third grade, but can't remember much.
Beckie Linebarger
another book i read as a child and still love to this day!
Matt Randall
Quick easy read. now wonder its a classic.
Betty
Who says you have to be a kid to enjoy fantasy?
Cj Ely
It was thrilling
anne
Feb 22, 2007 anne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nibblers of turkish delights
duh.
  • Shadow in the Deep (Binding of the Blade #3)
  • The Early Years Collection (Little House, #1, 3-6)
  • Dinosaur's Binkit
  • My Favorite Band Does Not Exist
  • A Candle in Her Room
  • Wings of Equity
  • A Dance to the Music of Time: 1st Movement
  • The Man Who Loved Children
  • Stranger in the Woods: A Photographic Fantasy
  • Kingdom's Reign (Kingdom, #6)
  • The Assistant
  • The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version  (The Last Unicorn)
  • Hell's Belles! (Brenda & Effie Mystery #4)
  • Falconer
  • Call It Sleep
  • Bad Dog, Marley!
  • The Berlin Stories: The Last of Mr Norris/Goodbye to Berlin
  • The Confessions of Nat Turner
Hiawyn Oram is a very successful author of children's books in Britain. Her books include the popular Not-So-Grizzly Bear Stories, the Animal Heroes series, and Mona the Vampire. She lives in London.
More about Hiawyn Oram...
My Unwilling Witch Goes to Ballet School (Rumblewick Diary, #1) Angry Arthur (Sunburst Book) In the Attic My Friend Fred Baba Yaga and the Wise Doll