Start by marking “Six of One (Runnymede, #1)” as Want to Read:
Six of One (Runnymede, #1)

Six of One (Runnymede #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,782 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Continuing to be one of Brown's most popular novels, Six of One is both a high-spirited romp of love in its many guises and a story of the darker side of life in Runnymede, Maryland--small town, U.S.A., right on the Mason-Dixon line. The prequel to Brown's new hardcover, Bingo.
Published September 1st 1979 by Bantam Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Six of One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six of One

Richard Derus
Jun 28, 2011 Richard Derus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Book Report: The life and times of a matriarchal clan made up of a mixture of lesbians, hell-raisers, and goody-two-shoeses in the fictional town of Runnymede that sits smack on the Mason-Dixon line. From 1909 to 1980, Cora Hunsenmeir and her daughters Julia Ellen and Louise live, love, fight, make up, and generally enjoy themselves hugely, often to the detriment of though never at the expense of their fellow-travelers and employers Celeste Chalfonte, Ramelle Bowman, and Fannie Jump Creighto ...more
Georgene
May 18, 2015 Georgene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I wish that Rita Mae Brown would write more books like this one. I think this one is her best, although I am very fond of her early Sneaky Pie Brown books.

The narrative switches back and forth from the 1920's to the 1980. There is humor, sadness, but above all friendship. I really enjoyed this book, unlike the ones she's written the the last 3-4 years or so.
Lexie
Aug 22, 2012 Lexie rated it really liked it
Jen
Sep 03, 2007 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
I'm a sucker for this book, which I reread after a decade and still loved. I picked it up because I wanted a book that would, cheesy as it sounds, fill my heart with inspiration and joy. And of course, lots of laughs as quirky women live life to the fullest in a small town.

"Everything is possible. Pass the word."
Kym
Feb 23, 2014 Kym rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the funniest books I've ever read. It's just so lovely.
Mary
Jul 25, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great depiction of southern women. I know, I grew up with them.
Chak
Jan 03, 2010 Chak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like character-driven family-relationship fiction. Helps if you like southernisms.
I picked this book for our January 2009 book club meeting, and thankfully, I ended up loving the book. I hope everyone else in the club does, too. It's exactly what I needed in the midst of the non-fiction stuff I've been reading lately. Six of One was a quick read, had well-crafted characters and I got emotionally involved in the story (started crying on an elliptical machine - thank goodness it was a vacation workout!).

The following passages were notable to me:

p. 86 - "...you... imagine yours
Pam
Jul 26, 2015 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful trip through the lives of two sisters who are constantly fighting, but love each other dearly. The novel is set in a fictional town of Runnymede that straddles the Mason-Dixon line. We get to follow the often hilarious escapades of some very memorable characters. I wanted to visit Runnymede and revisit the characters. The characters do return in two subsequent novels, but sadly, I could not find Runnymede on Google Maps.
Maureen
Apr 26, 2014 Maureen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book was supposed to debunk the myth of intolerance of the small town. Thus this small town lovingly embraces sexual diversity, sibling rivalry that slips into violence, infidelity, murder, and more. The characters are all so endearing!! Or not.
Of course I did smile at some of the foolishness, but more often than not I was asking myself, "Really?"
Judy
Aug 24, 2015 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it years ago. Someone had given it to my mom to read. She was mid another book so I borrowed this. Loved it. Had me wondering what this other woman had in mind when she gave it to my mom;) She was a sophisticated New Yorker, likely trying to stimulate conversation with someone in her new more rural home. This book would surely accomplish that:)
Mlnpdx
Apr 11, 2015 Mlnpdx rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly one of my favorite books! It was recommended to me 20 years ago. It was my introduction to Rita Mae Brown's great sense of humor. This book is a wonderful tribute to the strong women in her life. This book is one that I read every couple of years, when I need a quick laugh.
Nancy
Jan 26, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The middle drags a bit, but overall the book is lovely. I was particularly moved by the sections about World War II. I'll certainly read the rest of the Runnymede books!
Carmen Zerr
Sep 03, 2015 Carmen Zerr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my absolute favorite Book!!!
Tatra
This book covers a lifetime and is just amazing. My mom loves Rita Mae Brown and I do have to say that she is an awesome wordsmith.

Now, I chose this for the Wriyers Read Too genre reading challenge as my LGBT book because I wanted something that was light on all of the issues. I have to say that this matched perfectly for what I was looking for. It featured a lesbian couple, had a Bi character as the narrator, and had touches of gay characters. It also had awesome heterosexual characters. In sho
Louise
Jan 28, 2014 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books of fiction I've ever read. I go back to it every few years.,. a sign of a truly good book. It should be made into a movie the likes of Steel Magnolias.
Sandy Pfefferkorn
Feb 07, 2013 Sandy Pfefferkorn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the series about the Hunsenmeir sisters, who live in the town of Runnymede, Pennsylvania/Maryland, right on the Mason-Dixon line. Louise and Julia Ellen (Juts), both born in the early years of the 20th century, are feisty rivals from the day Juts (the younger sister) was born. This first book traces their rivalry from their early years and introduces the reader to the colorful members of their community.

Because I like Brown's Mrs. Murphy cat mysteries, I decided to try
Georgia Gray
Mar 17, 2016 Georgia Gray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by this author. Am enjoying it very much so far.
V.T. Davy
This novel made me both laugh out loud and cry. I think the emotional reaction that Brown elicits from the reader is due to her dialogue. She has a fine ear for the Southern (set in Maryland) dialect and turn of phrase. It runs like a seam of gold through the novel and never seems forced or clichéd. The characters are all charming, in their individual ways, with careful dark and light shades. Anyone who has a sister will immediately identify with the exasperation of the siblings Louise and Julia ...more
Linda
Jan 28, 2016 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ribald, sex fifty years ahead of its time, wise and stupid all at once.
Karen Johnson
Recommended by a co-worker; enjoyed the humor.
Deb Fialkow
Aug 25, 2015 Deb Fialkow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spanning from 1090 to 1980 (and pulling from the not so distant war between the states), Brown writes unforgettable characters in a small town straddling the Mason-Dixon line, in particular her two fierce, energetic, foul mouthed, clever protagonists, Juts and Wheezie. Delightful and touching.
Kate
May 30, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the funniest books I have read.
Baert
vertaling: Koningin van Amerika
Laurie or Sally Conlin or Kinion
My Favorite Author...great trilogy!
Jane
Jan 23, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars
Trish
Jan 27, 2012 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for my book group, otherwise I wouldn't have selected it.
It's a series of scenes about a group of mostly female friends and relatives in an American town.
It spans from the second decade of the last century to the 1980's and includes a couple of scenes from both world wars.Interesting to read the American perspective.
The characters are lively and distinct. The scenes are memorable, touching, just hilarious and philosphical.
A feel good book that I can recommend.
Kelly
May 09, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This book was incredible. I cried for the last 3 hours I was reading it. The relationships and caliber of women in this book are to be aspired to. Somewhat in the line of Anne Tyler's Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant except way better. Can't wait to read more of this series.
Kathy
Jan 07, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious. I started laughing on page 2 and rarely stopped. The characters really come to life in this book, which is semi-autobiographical. I highly recommend when you need a light-hearted distraction.
Becky
Feb 23, 2016 Becky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first and last Rita Mae Brown book.
Rosemarie
A novel of strong, colorful women in Runnymeade VA in the early 20th century. Though contrived at points, the novel is an authentic and touching portrait of human relationships. In many ways a typical Brown fiction, the people and their lives are worth knowing. This book has two sequels, and I will read them.
500 Great Books B...: Six of One - Rita Mae Brown 1 3 Jul 15, 2014 05:07PM
loose lips and bingo 1 11 Nov 22, 2008 05:26AM
  • The Beverly Malibu (Kate Delafield, #3)
  • The Revolution of Little Girls
  • Water Mark (Micky Knight, #6)
  • Punk Like Me
  • Stay (Aud Torvingen #2)
  • Choices
  • I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2)
  • At Her Feet
  • Back to Barbary Lane: The Tales of the City Omnibus (Tales of the City, #4-6)
  • Desert of the Heart
  • Aquamarine
  • The Complete Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist
  • The Lesbian Body
  • The Work of a Common Woman: The Collected Poetry of Judy Grahn, 1964-1977
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un
More about Rita Mae Brown...

Runnymede (4 books)
  • Bingo (Runnymede, #2)
  • Loose Lips (Runnymede, #3)
  • The Sand Castle (Runnymede, #4)

“High heels were invented by a woman who had once been kissed on the forehead.” 16 likes
“Put your money in your head, that way no one can take it from you.” 11 likes