Start by marking “How to Do Everything with Your Genealogy” as Want to Read:
How to Do Everything with Your Genealogy

How to Do Everything with Your Genealogy

Anyone interested in discovering their family genealogy should carry a copy of this book everywhere. Written by internationally recognized expert, George G. Morgan, this book is an irreplaceable resource for beginner to expert knowledge gatherers. Not only does Morgan explain how to get the search started ï¿ creating a family tree, locating and evaluating documents, select ...more
Published March 18th 2004 by McGraw-Hill Osborne Media (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How to Do Everything with Your Genealogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Do Everything with Your Genealogy

Fredrick Danysh
This is a crash course in genealogy covering both hard documents and internet search engines. Various information sources [civil, religious, and government] are discussed along with ideas on how to use them.
Jan 24, 2012 Gwnhwyfer rated it it was ok
I've been "doing" genealogy for (eek!) almost 16 years, though only actively searching (on and off) for the past decade. Most "how to" genealogy guides focus exclusively on American records. Morgan promises (it's in his introduction!) that he'll be covering "the major record types available in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, as well as research strategies ..." (p. xix).

I have the first edition, published in 2004 (since my library's genealogy book collection is, IMO, relatively
Apr 05, 2009 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, genealogy
I've recently become interested in doing some research into my family history. Until a month ago, I didn't know the names of m great grandparents, much less any earlier ancestors. I decided I wanted to do some research and used this book as a means to that end.

Despite the grandiose title, it is a reasonable introduction into researching one's family tree It covers a fairly wide breadth though not too much in depth. Useful for beginners like me but probably not for anyone with any experience.
May 11, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mother-in-law gave me this book one year for Christmas, and I thought it was wonderful. It is a wonderful reference book for a genealogist, whether you're just starting out or whether you've been researching for years.

The book points you in the right direction on where to find certain types of records, not just US records, but UK and a number of other countries, as well.

An excellent resource for any genealogist!
Sep 05, 2014 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps George Morgan didn't tell us how to do EVERYTHING in genealogy, but he sure tells us plenty. This book is a great primer for anyone interested in genealogy. It is like a great textbook on the subject. I would even say it is a modern-day complement to Val Greenwood's The Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy. This book is just as good.
a different kind of genealogy book in the sense that he includes so many different kinds of documents and shows pictures of them. Very thorough and a good addition to any library. Not just another Dummies book.
May 07, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A complete guide for researching Genealogy using traditional and online strategies. I was especially impressed with the details on death documents and census records however, every aspect of researching is explained in detail. Loved it!
Feb 24, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
It has a detailed, step by step approach to genealogy packed full of different resources, both internet and paper. It is also easy to read without a lot of technical jargon.
Jim Blessing
Aug 07, 2012 Jim Blessing rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
For a number of years, I have been researching my family history. This book had some useful reference points in that area.
Jun 27, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genealogy
this is a great first resource to help understand the genealogy language. it is well organized and provides many tips and resources.
Jason rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Chris rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Debbie rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2011
Sandy Williams
Sandy Williams rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Keldon rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Mary rated it liked it
May 05, 2012
Roxanne rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2012
Carol rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Sep 26, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes for a nice introductory volume.
Tammy  Lewandowski
Tammy Lewandowski rated it it was ok
Dec 15, 2015
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Stevi rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2016
Tina Panik
Tina Panik rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Karen Miles
Karen Miles rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Jean Liska
Jean Liska rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Tim rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Regina rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Dec 11, 2012 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great information for the beginning genealogist.
Terry Dunn
Terry Dunn rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Peter rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Source: A Guidebook of American Genealogy
  • Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace
  • The BCG Genealogical Standards Manual
  • The Family Tree Problem Solver: Proven Methods for Scaling the Inevitable Brick Wall
  • Unpuzzling Your Past
  • They Came in Ships: A Guide to Finding Your Immigrant Ancestor's Arrival Record
  • Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy
  • Your Guide to Cemetery Research
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Genealogy
  • Who Do You Think You Are?: The Essential Guide to Tracing Your Family History
  • The Everything Guide to Online Genealogy: A Complete Resource to Using the Web to Trace Your Family History
  • Mastering Genealogical Proof
  • Genealogy Online for Dummies
  • Metallurgy Fundamentals
  • Karen's Leprechaun (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #59)
  • The Art of Calligraphy: A Practical Guide to the Skills and Techniques