How to Do Everything with Your Genealogy

How to Do Everything with Your Genealogy

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Anyone interested in discovering their family genealogy should carry a copy of this book everywhere. Written by internationally recognized expert, George G. Morgan, this book is an irreplaceable resource for beginner to expert knowledge gatherers. Not only does Morgan explain how to get the search started � creating a family tree, locating and evaluating documents, selec...more
Published March 18th 2004 by McGraw-Hill Osborne Media (first published January 1st 2004)

Gwnhwyfer
I've been "doing" genealogy for (eek!) almost 16 years, though only actively searching (on and off) for the past decade. Most "how to" genealogy guides focus exclusively on American records. Morgan promises (it's in his introduction!) that he'll be covering "the major record types available in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, as well as research strategies ..." (p. xix).

I have the first edition, published in 2004 (since my library's genealogy book collection is, IMO, relatively...more
Linda
I've recently become interested in doing some research into my family history. Until a month ago, I didn't know the names of m great grandparents, much less any earlier ancestors. I decided I wanted to do some research and used this book as a means to that end.

Despite the grandiose title, it is a reasonable introduction into researching one's family tree It covers a fairly wide breadth though not too much in depth. Useful for beginners like me but probably not for anyone with any experience.
My mother-in-law gave me this book one year for Christmas, and I thought it was wonderful. It is a wonderful reference book for a genealogist, whether you're just starting out or whether you've been researching for years.

The book points you in the right direction on where to find certain types of records, not just US records, but UK and a number of other countries, as well.

An excellent resource for any genealogist!
Amanda
It has a detailed, step by step approach to genealogy packed full of different resources, both internet and paper. It is also easy to read without a lot of technical jargon.
Amy
this is a great first resource to help understand the genealogy language. it is well organized and provides many tips and resources.
Jim Blessing
For a number of years, I have been researching my family history. This book had some useful reference points in that area.
Angie
Great book for the beginner. Lots of useful information to help you with your research.
Tracey
Im probably only a quarter way throgh it, but Im enjoying it.
Beth
Great information for the beginning genealogist.
Jim
Makes for a nice introductory volume.
Shannon Kuhn
Shannon Kuhn marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Ronie
Ronie added it
May 17, 2014
Esther Shook
Esther Shook marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Janie
Janie marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Jennifer Ochoa
Jennifer Ochoa marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Rahul Malhotra
Rahul Malhotra marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Dan
Dan added it
Apr 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Advanced Genealogy Research Techniques The Official Guide to Ancestry.com Your Family Reunion: How to Plan It, Organize It, and Enjoy It English Genealogical Research in the Major London Repositories Genealogy Forum on America Online: The Official User's Guide