The Call of the Wild and Selected Stories: 100th Anniversary Ed.

The Call of the Wild and Selected Stories: 100th Anniversary Ed.

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Inspired by the rugged landscape of the wild Northwest frontier, Jack London's immortal "The Call of the Wild" has captivated readers of all ages with its unique perspective -- a narrative from the viewpoint of a sled dog named Buck -- and its theme of man's instinctive return to primitive behavior when pitted against the brute force of nature. Based on London's own advent...more
Published November 1st 1998 by Signet Classics (first published 1960)

Ken R
The book I read is The Call Of The Wild, by Jack London. This book is about a dog named Buck who gets taken away by Manuel, one of the garden helpers. Manuel took buck away to sell him as a sled dog, which were in high demand during the Klondike, which is the setting of the story. He stayed on a train for two days without food or water before getting shipped by van to a man known as the man in the red sweater. Buck tried to attack him and was beaten. Buck was soon bought by two French-Canadians...more
AnnMarie Smith
I cry too much when it comes to animals......
Lisa
Seriously, guys, I dreamed about ice and snow for at least 3 days after reading this book.

London does great things with a relatively simple cast (I would love to meet Malemute Kid, personally). Admittedly, I liked some of the short stories best. They had a grit and realism to them that Call of the Wild seemed to lack, at least from Buck's perspective. London's ability to drop a whole set of characters through ice or detail the icy death of a man incapable of building a fire with his frozen finge...more
Chez Hilroy
Up until now I'd had only two experiences with Jack London: that time Data met him in Star Trek and random, loving quotes from Parks & Recreation. Thus I was quite surprised when this, the first of his writing I've ever read, turned out to be neither incomprehensibly anachronistic or unbearably hokey.

In fact, The Call of the Wild is very readable and enjoyable. It tilts a bit towards the hokey every now and then, admittedly, but London's genuine knowledge of northern environs and the bleak p...more
Paul Patterson
Having just finished Wolf: The Lives of Jack London, I decided to re-read Call of the Wild. What a different lens through which to read this book. London's understanding of returning to the primitive and to the powerful as viewed through his evolutionary naturalistic perspective provides a paradigm for both humans and animals to return to their roots. In this way we shall, according to this view, regain our authenticity and perhaps produce a prouder more dignified species a la Nietzsche. The par...more
Samuel
To kill or be killed! is what Buck has to think about in Call of the Wild by Jack London, through his adventures through the Yukon. That philosophy is what kept Call of the Wild interesting for me. Story's based on real life experiences, for me, are the most interesting.

Experiencing the life of a Yukon miner, influenced Jack London to write Call of the Wild. Jack London wrote this book telling reader about how hard life is in the Yukon. London wrote Call of the Wild in a very serious voice. Tryi...more
Erik Graff
Aug 08, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids & dog lovers
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: literature
In 1962 my mother arranged to travel by the HMS Milora, a freighter, from Duluth/Superior at the western tip of Lake Superior to Bremenhaven, Germany with me and my little brother, Fin. The trip through the Great Lakes, the Saint Lawrence Seaway and the Atlantic took weeks as we collected grain en route and were held up off Germany by a dock strike. It was wonderful. I saw icebergs, whales, porpoises, flying fish, luminescent planktons, mid-sea oil rigs and nightly adult movies in incomprehensib...more
Bryan
It's not a book for a non-english speaker to understand clearly but the context of those stories in this book which written by Mr.LonDon are perfect for whom who love the nature, adventuring, or romance. The book’s including “The call of the wild”- a song of brave and truth, “Diable- a Dog”- a picture of hate, “The odyssey of the North” – a love and romance story, “To build a fire”, “to the man on trail”, and “Love of life”. Each story bring each own beautiful meaning to the readers. There first...more
Sevananazari
I chose this book because my brother read it for his class and told me it was a good book so I decided to read it. The book is about a dog named Buck who learns many hard lessons as a sled dog. The greatest lesson he learns from his last owner, John Thornton was the power of love and loyalty. Even though he is loved by a human, he feels an urge to answer his wolf ancestors that howl to him. My favorite was "The dog's worked hard, and maybe he's earned a soft berth an' has got a right to choose."...more
Mike
Another classic that I had never read. A collection of 6 stories by London, all set in the very cold Canadian north. The Call of the wild was by far the best, but they were all enjoyable. To Build A Fire was the second best story in this collection in my opinion.

The stories were at least an enjoyable read, and most of them were excellent. The only thing I did wrong was read this book in the winter. When you are already cold, it's not a lot of fun reading about people getting frostbite and freezi...more
I've had this book for 25 years, easily, and only just got around to reading it. As a kid, I hated dog stories because they always turned out badly for the dog. It seems it's best I waited because London's Klondike was hard on men and dogs, both clear in the tales. Still, they're fine for older children and gives some history of the Alaskan gold rush.

My version, from the early 1980s, is the Illustrated Junior Library, so the text was accompanied by some lovely drawings of the dogs and character...more
Lauren
Some stories appealed to me more than others. I loved "The Call of the Wild", but at times found some of it difficult to read. By this, I mean that the subject matter was at times hard to swallow. I love animals and reading about animals being mistreated was not pleasant. Aside from that, I loved the story of Buck transforming himself and getting in touch with his instincts. I also really enjoyed the story"Love of Life". It is a tale of survival and doing whatever one can to make it.
Katie
The kids and I listened to these on CD in the car. The language was very advanced, but Cyrus and Tessa liked it anyways. Sometimes I had to stop and make sure they understood what was going on, but they usually did. The reader was excellent and I liked it more than I remembered from my last reading. It made me nostalgic to go up North to the Yukon. I had to give it 5 stars to honor my gold-seeking ancestors!
Keith Parrish
I must admit that I had never read Jack London before apart from some selections in some literature books and having read this, I must give myself a dope slap and call myself an idiot. Robust fiction in thrilling language. Manly writing that would find its way to Hemingway. And just plain compelling stories. Why had I never come this before?
Kate
I think this book was great. What stopped me from giving it 5 stars was that the Call of the Wild was too short. It was almost the same length as the selected stories, even though The Call of the Wild was supposed to be the main attraction. But I still thought it was a great book, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes dogs.
Nathan
"There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes with a complete forgetfulness that one is alive."

"...he sings a song of the younger world, which is the song of the pack."
Kristine

Jack London's classic THE CALL OF THE WILD -- 5 stars but the OTHER STORIES that followed the main meal underwhelmed and ended the reading experience -- not with a bang, but a whimper (as the saying goes). I wish I had read only the CALL OF THE WILD.

Jan C
Oct 04, 2009 Jan C marked it as to-read
Shelves: anthology, animal
I think I read "The Call of the Wild" before but Sue Henry in "Murder on the Yukon Quest" was starting each paragraph with a quote from various London stories so it kind of whetted my appetite for some of his stories from the North Country.
Adam
Jack London is not the most sophisticated of writers, but he conveys a very vivid imagery of Alaska during the gold rush. I especially like his choice of perspective in The call of the wild. It made me dream of wolves the other night.
Emma the Dork
k so finished the call of the wild, (amazing) diable a dog (rather odd and super intense ending) and the odyssey of the north (refreshing to be in human minds after all those animals). on to the man on trail, loving every bit of it.
Connor
A dog named Buck is just living the life when the owners helper sells him for $$. Buck is sold to a sled dog team. The team travels to Yukon. During the way Buck is confronted by wild dogs and fights. He makes it all the way through.
Sharon
Includes "Diable - A Dog" "An Odyssey of the North" "To the Man on Trail" "To Build a Fire" "Love of Life"
All great stories for lovers of Alaska. Jack London reads are a must for anyone loving wilderness adventure stories - old school.
Katrina
Okay, I just couldn't stay focused on this book. I read it but not 100% sure I actually comprehended it. It wasn't bad, but I just couldn't focus. The story was good. I will have to give it another try in the future.
I read this book a long time ago. I don't really remember it making a big impression. Maybe I should re-read it, but I probably won't. Too many other books on my list.
Mike Bularz
I read this a long time ago, but I can still remember how Jack London had a deep understanding of an animal's mind, in all of its stages of contact with humans.
Annamarie
I read just "The Call of the Wild". Romantic in terms of how the books discribes enviroments, thoughts and outcome. I read it once before in high school.
Victor
Aug 07, 2009 Victor added it
One of those books I never read. It is a good story I can could sense London's embrace of the "Survival of the Fittest" philosophy circa 1900s.
Allison
i finished this book (FINALLY)....and it was better than i thought it would be.....it was brutal at some parts but otherwise totally good
Savannah Condie
It was a very hard book to get into. It was very confusing at times, and didn't interest me. But who knows it may interest you.
Melissa
How am I supposed to rate such a sad book?? Great writing style and everything, but it was terribly sad. =(
  • Adaline Falling Star (Scholastic Signature)
  • Saint Louis Armstrong Beach
  • Frog Goes to Dinner
  • Journey
  • Sticks
  • Selected Stories
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.

London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti...more
More about Jack London...
The Call of the Wild White Fang The Call of the Wild/White Fang The Call of the Wild, White Fang and Other Stories (World's Classics) The Sea Wolf