Start by marking “Eat My Dust! Henry Ford's First Race” as Want to Read:
Eat My Dust! Henry Ford's First Race

Eat My Dust! Henry Ford's First Race

It’s 1901 and Henry Ford wants to build a car that everyone can own. But first he needs the money to produce it. How will he get it? He enters a car race, of course! Readers will love this fast-paced, fact-based story!
Published March 23rd 2004 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Eat My Dust! Henry Ford's First Race, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat My Dust! Henry Ford's First Race

Kathryn
An excellent "beginning reader" picture book about young Henry Ford, his enthusiasm for automobiles, and his desire to make autos that everybody could afford. The story centers around a very important race--if Henry wins, the prize money could help his dreams come true. I also liked how Ford's wife was mentioned so often. The illustrations are appealing, too.

Since the Ford motor co is no big secret it's probably not too suspenseful a race for the adults resting this, but it is still told in an
Beverly
Oct 31, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beginning reader geared to students in grades 1 - 3, this story comes across as humorous and exciting, in spite of the limited vocabulary. The cartooney illustrations add to the humor. The fact that the story is based on a true event is also a plus.
Julia
Mar 12, 2017 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My beginning reader and her car loving dad loved this book. Equal amounts of historical facts and racing action. We'd recommend for any car loving kids (though we may be biased, having a model T in the garage).
Dolly
Oct 17, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Henry Ford had to get his start somewhere and we learn how he earns enough seed money to begin his Model T production in this book. The narrative is fairly short and the cartoonish illustrations on every page really complement the story nicely. We enjoyed reading this book together and we all learned a little more about Mr. Ford's early years.

This book was selected as one of the books for the November 2013 - Cars and Trucks discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here
Regina Gadad
Mar 08, 2016 Regina Gadad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I lead the Breakfast Book Club for first graders in my community and this was the book chosen for the month of March. The title alone, "Eat My Dust!" is attractive to kids as they wonder what the book's going to be all about. It's a wonderful story to draw kids into a bit of history. The history concerns the true story of Henry Ford and his invention of the Model T in 1901. Henry enters a race against another car and wins. He uses the race money to start the Henry Ford car making company - the f ...more
Catherine
This is the story of a race between Henry Ford, in an early car of his own making, and another man who has a different a different model car. Ford is trying to win money to make his car for all men (Model T) a reality. The tongue in cheek title is an indicator of how the story is told, and the illustrations fit that same mood. Students may fit it to be humorous. The text is easy to read, the story exciting to a reader under about 7 years of age. Not my favorite, but it definitely has a place in ...more
Tricia Douglas
A short, interesting book about a real race that Henry Ford ran in 1901. I thought the story was well-done especially for a beginning reader. I will give this to my 5 year old grandson as a read aloud for now, but I know he will be wanting to reread it himself in a year or so. I loved the illustrations too, especially the actual photo of the race at the end of the book. This book was chosen for my children's picture book club on Goodreads.
Jenny
This beginning reader was better than I anticipated. The illustrations are fun and engage the reader, and despite the limited vocabulary, this book tells a compelling true story of Henry Ford's big race against Alexander Winton. Ford wanted to build a car that was easy to drive, easy to repair and inexpensive. If he could win the race, he would have enough money to reach his dream.
Londa
A reader can't get much better than this. I hate readers that don't tell a good story. This one not only tells a good tale, but it teaches a bit of history as well. My son's favorite part was the actual race. I enjoyed the illustrations and thought the story was very well done.
Bethe
Easy to read look at an actual event from the beginning of Henry Ford's automobile career. There is some repetition of lines from the beginning to the end which is a nice touch. Author's note has an actual photo from the event.
Pat
Dec 04, 2013 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfectly wonderful level 3 Step into Reading book that is perfectly true! And, the illustrations by Richard Walz are equally wonderful! Another excellent rec from my children's lit expert! Thanks, Tricia!
Kate
Apr 21, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The kids loved the car race and the real photograph of the actual race at the end of the book! Fun read for all.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
I liked this book because the man never gave up, and he kept trying to win the race. J.
Sheila
Sep 25, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A fun, educational, historical story for children about the advent of motor cars and the very famous Henry Ford.
Mary
Feb 22, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sag-history, own
Great book for boys. My son was captivated by this book especially since there is a picture of the real race at the end.
Mikey Novack
Aug 11, 2013 Mikey Novack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it
Judy Crivelli
Judy Crivelli rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Nicole Wangler
Nicole Wangler rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2016
Dancingdiva
Dancingdiva rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Catherine Shapiro
Catherine Shapiro rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2015
Dajuan Wright
Dajuan Wright rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2014
Elizabeth Cammack
Elizabeth Cammack rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Jo
Jo rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2017
Muna Escobar
Muna Escobar rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2014
Busy Lockhart
Busy Lockhart rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Stacey
Stacey rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Monica Kulling was born in Vancouver, British Columbia. She received a BA in creative writing from the University of Victoria. Monica Kulling has published twenty-six fiction and nonfiction books for children, including picture books, poetry, and biographies. She is best known for introducing biography to children just learning to read and has written about Harriet Tubman, Houdini, Eleanor Rooseve ...more
More about Monica Kulling...