Eat My Dust! Henry Ford's First Race

Eat My Dust! Henry Ford's First Race

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  15 reviews
It’s 1901 and Henry Ford wants to build a car that everyone can own. But first he needs the money to produce it. How will he get it? He enters a car race, of course! Readers will love this fast-paced, fact-based story!
Published March 23rd 2004 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 2004)

Kathryn
An excellent "beginning reader" picture book about young Henry Ford, his enthusiasm for automobiles, and his desire to make autos that everybody could afford. The story centers around a very important race--if Henry wins, the prize money could help his dreams come true. I also liked how Ford's wife was mentioned so often. The illustrations are appealing, too.

Since the Ford motor co is no big secret it's probably not too suspenseful a race for the adults resting this, but it is still told in an...more
Beverly
A beginning reader geared to students in grades 1 - 3, this story comes across as humorous and exciting, in spite of the limited vocabulary. The cartooney illustrations add to the humor. The fact that the story is based on a true event is also a plus.
Dolly
Nov 07, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Henry Ford had to get his start somewhere and we learn how he earns enough seed money to begin his Model T production in this book. The narrative is fairly short and the cartoonish illustrations on every page really complement the story nicely. We enjoyed reading this book together and we all learned a little more about Mr. Ford's early years.

This book was selected as one of the books for the November 2013 - Cars and Trucks discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here...more
Tricia Douglas
A short, interesting book about a real race that Henry Ford ran in 1901. I thought the story was well-done especially for a beginning reader. I will give this to my 5 year old grandson as a read aloud for now, but I know he will be wanting to reread it himself in a year or so. I loved the illustrations too, especially the actual photo of the race at the end of the book. This book was chosen for my children's picture book club on Goodreads.
Jenny
This beginning reader was better than I anticipated. The illustrations are fun and engage the reader, and despite the limited vocabulary, this book tells a compelling true story of Henry Ford's big race against Alexander Winton. Ford wanted to build a car that was easy to drive, easy to repair and inexpensive. If he could win the race, he would have enough money to reach his dream.
Londa
A reader can't get much better than this. I hate readers that don't tell a good story. This one not only tells a good tale, but it teaches a bit of history as well. My son's favorite part was the actual race. I enjoyed the illustrations and thought the story was very well done.
Cheryl in CC NV
Well-done, great for early readers & fans of cars or racing or even history. I like the photo in the note at the end, that proves it's a true story. And it's a story I never knew, so that's cool. Good message about perseverance, too.
Pat
Perfectly wonderful level 3 Step into Reading book that is perfectly true! And, the illustrations by Richard Walz are equally wonderful! Another excellent rec from my children's lit expert! Thanks, Tricia!
Mary
Great book for boys. My son was captivated by this book especially since there is a picture of the real race at the end.
Sheila
A fun, educational, historical story for children about the advent of motor cars and the very famous Henry Ford.
Kate
The kids loved the car race and the real photograph of the actual race at the end of the book! Fun read for all.
Catherine
For an easy reader book this one is great. Especially if one is obsessed by cars.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
I liked this book because the man never gave up, and he kept trying to win the race. J.
اموله المزيونه
Amy
Amy added it
Jun 28, 2014
Mirjam
Mirjam marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
angel bruno
angel bruno marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Mar 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Monica Kulling was born in Vancouver, British Columbia. She received a BA in creative writing from the University of Victoria. Monica Kulling has published twenty-six fiction and nonfiction books for children, including picture books, poetry, and biographies. She is best known for introducing biography to children just learning to read and has written about Harriet Tubman, Houdini, Eleanor Rooseve...more
More about Monica Kulling...
Les Miserables (Stepping Stones) Lumpito and the Painter from Spain In the Bag!: Margaret Knight Wraps It Up The Tweedles Go Electric Escape North! The Story of Harriet Tubman