Start by marking “Witch High” as Want to Read:
Witch High

Witch High

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  104 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
High school is different for everyone. For some, it’s a time to shine, and for others, a time to survive. Then there are the students who attend those special schools for the gifted. But what if there was a school that catered to those rarest of students—those who can do magic?

These fourteen tales explore the challenges that students of the magical arts may face in a high
Mass Market Paperback, 307 pages
Published October 7th 2008 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Witch High, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch High

Joshua Palmatier
Nov 01, 2008 Joshua Palmatier rated it really liked it
I finished reading Witch High and, as with most anthologies, there were some stories I really enjoyed and then some that were just . . . meh. I don't like to focus on the meh, so I thought I'd mention the few that I really liked, that either grabbed me or my imagination and took me away for a while. Which is what everyone really wants when they read, right?

I really enjoyed "Chemistry 101" by Pamela Luzier. It wasn't serious, but it was certainly fun. Another fun read (of course) was Esther M. Fr
Angela  M
Dec 17, 2014 Angela M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm normally not much for short stories, but this was a fun read! I've never read any of these authors before this, but I enjoyed each and every story. Each story is about a teen witch (or witches) that attend Salem Township Public High School #4 (or that's what the mundanes know it as), known to witchdom as Witch High. Each story was alot of fun and appropriate for teen readers of all ages. No unnecessary foul language or sexual content. In each story you learn that even teens with powers to do ...more
Mauri
Mar 30, 2009 Mauri rated it did not like it
Shelves: teenbooks, fantasy
Bummer. Maybe I have grown out of some things.
Lexie
This was a quick read for me for when I'm cooking or in between homework assignments. I enjoyed the anthology, for everything I questioned in the Harry Potter/magical boarding school world there was an answer in one of these stories pretty much. Some fared better then others (I thought the story "Boil and bubble" by Phaedra Wheldon could have benefited from a longer format while Jody Lynn Nye's "A Learning Experience" was perfectly suited to the shorter form), but they all entertained me.

I would
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

WITCH HIGH is a fun anthology that takes place at Salem Township Public High School #4, aka Witch High. Using the theme of the high school, each story weaves another piece of the fabric that is the history behind the school. The stories all reveal that even those with magical powers suffer the same struggles in high school as the non-magical kids. There are bullies, there is heartbreak, there are cliques, and so much more.

Containing fourteen different stori
Andrea
Oct 07, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
Witch High has fourteen short stories in the book, all about the high school life of a witch. I enjoyed reading these stories, although I felt that it was slightly lacking in some areas. I didn't feel like any of the stories were funny, and I missed the humor that I was looking for. I also felt that the authors in the story should have come up with a way to connect the stories, other than just the name of the school. Maybe the characters from one story could show up in another story, or even a c ...more
Kate Coombs
Dec 22, 2008 Kate Coombs rated it liked it
For a story collection, this wasn't bad. The book imagines a sort of Hogwarts-type high school set in (where else?) Salem, Massachusetts. The stories are mostly about teenage students at the high school and include some romance here and there. Kind of a fun read, with a few moments of real emotion. The stories I liked best were "Remedial Magic," "The Price of Gold," and "The House." My biggest complaint is probably that there are too many stereotypical mean girls used as antagonists in these tal ...more
Debbie--I have a headache from GR
Overall, fun anthology of stories that take place in Salem Township Public High School #4 (aka Witch High). While there were inconsistencies from story to story -- a weakness of shared worlds that probably could have been avoided with more world building by Little -- they were easily overlooked if each story was taken separate from the others. Though... I don't quite remember high schoolers being quite so catty.
Amy Nesbitt
Oct 27, 2013 Amy Nesbitt rated it really liked it
Its a collection of short stories. As usual, I did not love all of them. However none of these stories were boooorrrring to me. They all kept my attention and were easy to read. Not a lot of extra information or knowledge needed to enjoy them.

Anyone who has experienced high school could understand, empathise, or sympathise with the characters.

All in all its enjoyable.
Mary (BookHounds)
Mar 05, 2009 Mary (BookHounds) rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
These little short stories were good on the most part. I was exposed to quite a few new authors I really enjoyed. I think I would actually enjoy having some of those domestic witch genes to make cleaning easier.
CLM
Oct 19, 2008 CLM marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
How interesting! Denise is a lovely friend I completely lost touch with after she left New York. I will be very excited to read this anthology.
Erika
It's an all right collection of stories to pass the time, but they don't really inspire me to seek out the authors' other works.
Teena R.
May 12, 2011 Teena R. rated it it was ok

Much better than lots of fantasy anthology I've read but still...
Guess I'm not for fantasy shorts.
Cissa
Jan 10, 2010 Cissa rated it it was amazing
A good bunch of stories about a magical high school. No duds, and most were a lot of fun.
rivka
Looks like fun, and it has a Diane Duane story.
DW
DW rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Marija
Marija marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Mindy DeWitt Ullman
Mindy DeWitt Ullman marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Kitty Nicole
Kitty Nicole marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Sandra Gilligan
Sandra Gilligan marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Pauline
Pauline rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Alena J
Alena J marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jan 18, 2016
Pierre Croonenberghs
Pierre Croonenberghs marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Billy Bob
Billy Bob marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Fantasy Gone Wrong
  • Strip Mauled
  • Quicksilver & Shadow: Collected Early Stories, Vol. 2: Contempory, Dark Fantasy, and Science Fiction Stories.
  • Grails: Quests of the Dawn
  • The Fourth Channel
  • Shelf Life: Fantastic Stories Celebrating Bookstores
  • Prince of Time (Chalice Trilogy, #3)
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Prince of Shadows (Val Cache, #3)
  • The Asylum Interviews: Bronx (The Asylum Tales, #0.5)
  • The Armless Maiden: And Other Tales for Childhood's Survivors
  • The Fair Folk
  • The Final Test (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #3)
  • From the Borderlands: Stories of Terror and Madness (Borderlands, # 5)
  • Airs of Night and Sea (Horsemistress Saga, #3)
  • Mirror Kingdoms: The Best of Peter S. Beagle
  • Steel City Magic
Denise Little is an editor for Tekno Books.
More about Denise Little...