Start by marking “The Body in the Lighthouse” as Want to Read:
The Body in the Lighthouse

The Body in the Lighthouse (Faith Fairchild #13)

Something was very wrong on Sanpere this summer . . .

To escape the misery of a sweltering August in Aleford, Massachusetts, caterer and minister's wife Faith Fairchild and her family head for their cottage on Maine's peaceful Sanpere Island in Penobscot Bay. But things have changed since their last visit. An aggressive developer is moving forward on plans that will destroy
Published March 30th 2004 by Avon (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Body in the Lighthouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body in the Lighthouse

Cheryl Landmark
Apr 11, 2015 Cheryl Landmark rated it liked it
Normally, I like to read the books in a series in sequential order, but this was one I picked up at a used book sale and I had no idea what number it was. No matter. I had read the first book in the series and enjoyed it fairly well, so I thought I’d give this one a try. And, I’m glad I did, although it did take quite a while before the first body actually showed up in the story and the mystery actually got under way.

Ms. Page did an excellent job of depicting the insular atmosphere and thinking
Ellen Moore
Jun 05, 2016 Ellen Moore rated it really liked it
This was an interesting mystery with a different setting than others I have read in this series. The Fairchilds were on an island off the coast of Maine for the summer where they are renovating a summer home. Of course Faith discovers several bodies and becomes aware of malicious events (fires, etc.) that appear connected to an aggressive real estate developer's plan to fill the island with huge, showy new mansions. Tensions are running high. Faith also gets involved with a play being produced o ...more
Kathy Davie
Apr 05, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Twelfth chronologically and thirteenth in the publication order in the Faith Fairchild cooking mystery series. This story is set in Maine.

The Body in the Lighthouse was one of three Mary Higgins Clark Award nominees.

My Take
This particular story takes place the summer of 2001 in Sanpere, Maine, where the Fairchilds are about to move into their enlarged and remodeled cottage.

The dialog, is, as ever, excellent and very believable. Page does a convincing portrayal of a normal marriage with its disag
Cathy Cramer
This is the 3rd one I've read of this series, and I am still convinced these would be better if read in order. On the timeline, this one falls somewhere vaguely between the other two that I've read - "The Body in the Kelp" and "The Body in the Snowdrift."

The skunks living under the house were funny, and I enjoyed the Ursula character. One of my kids said that Ursula had to have committed the murder just because her name matches that of the evil sea witch in "The Little Mermaid." I'm not telling
Karen Hufman
Sep 02, 2013 Karen Hufman rated it really liked it
I didn't like this book as much as some of the other ones I've read of this series. It probably didn't help that someone cut out the recipes before I got the book. I felt like this book spent a lot of time concentrating on Faith's feeling about the island and her family. It wasn't until I read the author's comments on this book that I realized the reason. She had starting writing this book when 9/11 happened and it changed her perspective on things - I think it made all of us introspective. This ...more
Fmorlan
Jun 04, 2013 Fmorlan rated it really liked it
Faith Fairchild and family have taken a vacation in Maine. Unfortunately, their house is not finshed but luckily Ursala, Pix's mother is there so Faith accepts the invitation to stay with her at the pines. Waiting for the house to be finished,Faith helps with the play and helps Ursala. Unfortunately, there have been a rash of vandalism, causing some outcry from the residents. Then, the first of several murders occurs causing distress. Faith as always does some sleuthing along with painting scene ...more
Jillian
Aug 10, 2013 Jillian rated it liked it
This is the first Faith Fairchild mystery I have read. It was a quick easy read - especially while on holiday on an island with its share of lighthouses. Some of the interest was in the insularity of the community and the tensions of development versus unspoilt landscape and the-way-we-like-things-around-here. A comfortable, entertaining cosy crime that won't challenge too many opinions and finds the human failings evident in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet alive and well in contemporary Massachu ...more
Erin
Aug 05, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 52-in-2011
I first discovered the Faith Fairchild series on our inaugural trip to Maine. (Thanks to Andre and the sadly now-defunct Port in a Storm indie bookstore.) I love reading books that feature the location I'm visiting when I'm on vacation. That first book (#2 in the series, Body in the Kelp) took place on an island off the Maine coast, and I really liked going back to the warm days, cool nights and freezing water of the tiny lobster towns. Not to mention the mysteries and murders that get wrapped u ...more
Melanie
May 25, 2010 Melanie rated it really liked it
I love that Faith Fairchild, the protagonist married to a preacher, is nosy, gossipy, and drinks beer. These books are easy to read yet engaging and have some fun recipes at the end. I always think I have figured out whodunit but find, at the end, that I was wrong. Hall Page is able to take me away to the scene, in this case, an island off of Main's coast. Pick these up for an easy and fun read that keeps you wondering yet lets your mind wander.
Kathy
Dec 20, 2007 Kathy added it
another murder mystery. I always enjoy these when I need something light, although sometimes "faith", the mystery solver can be annoying. She supposedly has two small children but finds lots of time to cook and chase down criminals. I don't know how she does it. Plus I have to admit that sometimes the books can be so similiar that I can start reading one before I realize I've already read it.
 Barb Bailey
Sep 14, 2008 Barb Bailey rated it really liked it
I like books about Islands, I like books about lighthouses and I like cooking. This book had it all. Faith Fairchild, a caterer, her husband and children go to an island off the coast of Maine and stay a month. During their stay there are a couple murders on the island. One of the best mystery books I've read this year.
Bev
Sep 16, 2012 Bev rated it really liked it
This is a lovely series, with humour and good description mixed with murders and mayhem. I've actually used some of the recipes that always accompany each edition. In this one, the local production of Romeo and Juliet is paralleled by rivalry between two factions on Santerre over the impending development of part of the island. Easy, entertaining.
Gail
Feb 26, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Faith fairchild I have come to love is finally back. The characters are well developed and most of them likesable. I never guessed who the murderer was until the very end of the book. I reccomend this to all who love a good cozy mystery with well developed characters. This is the best book of the series.
Jenny
Aug 31, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
This one took a while to get into but maybe that's because a) I'm not reading the Faith series in order and b) there wasn't a dead body until halfway through the book!
I did like the recipes in the back... there are a few that I want to try!
Eileen
Apr 08, 2010 Eileen rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.
Deborah
Nov 06, 2011 Deborah rated it liked it
I really enjoy this series because it is set in New England and truly captures the flavor of living in that area. A good solid read but one you can definitely put down and pick back up again.
Kathie
Mar 17, 2014 Kathie rated it really liked it
Interesting story but there were still a few very foolish parts that I don't think a normal person would do but they are sometimes necessary for a story.
Jan 11, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Author new to me. Will seek out others by her. Good writer.
Bette
Oct 11, 2012 Bette rated it really liked it
Good read, it kept my interest. It wasn't too gruesome. I enjoyed the description of the island vacation.
Judy Goodnight
Time spent with the Fairchilds is a good thing especially when they're vacationing in Maine.
Judy Crudele
Feb 12, 2016 Judy Crudele rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Takes place on an island off the coat of Maine. The man putting up a new development of mansions is found murdered near the lighthouse. Lots of local color adds to authenticity of area.
Carol Heiss
May 31, 2013 Carol Heiss rated it liked it
A good example of the entertaining Faith Fairchild mystery series. I'm a big fan.
Jennifer Hall
Aug 03, 2011 Jennifer Hall rated it liked it
I enjoyed learning more about lighthouses, and the mystery was good too.
Asta
Jul 23, 2015 Asta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Unfamiliar with the author, I picked this because of the genre and the location which is similar to where I spent my early years' summers.
I was looking for a light summer read by the pool. This fit.
Wren
Wren rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2014
frances haage
frances haage rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2008
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2010
Emmie
Emmie rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2011
  • The Baked Bean Supper Murders (Eugenia Potter, #2)
  • Mozzarella Most Murderous (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #7)
  • Murder By the Book (Megan Clark, #5)
  • The Blue Corn Murders (Eugenia Potter, #5)
  • Sucker Punch (A Candy Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)
  • A Catered Christmas (A Mystery with Recipes, #3)
  • Death du Jour (The Spice Box, #2)
  • Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #12)
Katherine Hall Page is the author of fifteen previous Faith Fairchild mysteries, the first of which received the Agatha Award for best first mystery and the most recent of which, The Body in the Snowdrift, was honored with the Agatha Award for best novel. Page also won an Agatha for her short story "The Would-Be Widower." She lives in Massachusetts with her husband and son. (from the publisher's w ...more
More about Katherine Hall Page...

Faith Fairchild (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild, #1)
  • The Body in the Kelp (Faith Fairchild, #2)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • The Body in the Vestibule (Faith Fairchild, #4)
  • The Body in the Cast (Faith Fairchild, #5)
  • The Body in the Basement (Faith Fairchild, #6)
  • The Body in the Bog (Faith Fairchild, #7)
  • The Body in the Fjord (Faith Fairchild, #8)
  • The Body in the Bookcase (Faith Fairchild, #9)
  • The Body in the Big Apple (Faith Fairchild, #10)