Start by marking “The Lazy Person's Guide to Investing [ABRIDGED] [ABRIDGED]” as Want to Read:
The Lazy Person's Guide to Investing [ABRIDGED] [ABRIDGED]

The Lazy Person's Guide to Investing [ABRIDGED] [ABRIDGED]

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  87 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
At last, a book perfectly designed to deal with the common anxieties most people have about handling their financial investments-without taking up all of their time. In today's volatile market, jittery nerves are the normwhen it comes to saving and investing for the future. But with these keep-it-simple, easy-to-understand, and time-tested strategies that-best of all-take ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2006 by Listen & Live Audio, Inc. (first published January 1st 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about The Lazy Person's Guide to Investing [ABRIDGED] [ABRIDGED]

Chad Warner
After I read The New Coffeehouse Investor, I wanted to learn more about lazy investing and lazy portfolios. I saw this book on the shelf at the library, and picked it up. I'm glad I did! It starts by comparing a few popular "lazy portfolios" (simple, low-maintenance index fund portfolios), including the Coffeehouse Portfolio, then moves on to explaining why you should build your own lazy portfolio.

The author includes quotes and advice from many big names like Scott Burns, Bill Schultheis, Willi
Adam Moore
Jul 05, 2013 Adam Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really really great book. So much of this makes common sense. Basically get an index fund that track a broad index and stick with it for life. Asset allocation is more important then individual stocks. Include indexes of bonds and vary the amount of bonds in your portfolio by how much risk you are willing to accept. This book doesn't break new ground and the fact the author borrows from a lot of great other books may annoy some readers. However, if I planned on recommending one book for someone ...more
Anthony Xing
The entire content could be written in one page. Instead it just get quite repetitive.
Roland
Feb 22, 2008 Roland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew nothing about stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and all that other financial stuff before reading this book. Now I know a little more and have a better idea of how the market works. The most interesting part was that the market is entirely unpredictable, and that a monkey throwing darts can make stock picks that do better than those selected by the "pros." The book is repetative, but the author points out that that was his intention, and it worked. His overuse of certain quotes gets irritating ...more
Toby
Aug 29, 2012 Toby rated it really liked it
Humorous and well written, this book manages to make personal finance fun! Always tongue-in-cheek, it provides a really strong case for an all-index-fund portfolio by providing a lot of data, news and anecdotes about how index funds will outperform individual stock trading or load-fund portfolios. A must read for anyone who invests or enjoys managing their personal finances.
Adra
Aug 29, 2010 Adra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I got from this book is that investing the correct way is a long and very boring process. This guide breaks down the investing terminology so well that even the average joe can understand. Mr Farrell does a decent job at simplifying the process of investing.

Adra Young
Author of: The Everyday Living of Children & Teens Monologues Comment | Permalink

Bracken
Jun 04, 2010 Bracken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and informative for me, as a complete novice to investing. This book supported my feelings about investing and was instrumental in preventing me from making a bad investment.

I did feel, though that the author was trying too hard to be funny and that it could have been substantially less repetitious and get the point across.
durban
It's hard to rate when I am such a money novice, but I am trying to learn, from the personal finance side to the micro/macro-alterna side.
Blanche
Apr 30, 2013 Blanche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book I've read on the subject. I've been investing my money in Vanguard since finishing the book in 2010.
Major Doug
Listened to this book: interesting passive investing strategies.
Kirill
Feb 05, 2015 Kirill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The whole book could be written on a single page.
Becky
Dec 05, 2013 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
perfectly informative and basic for beginners.
S
Dec 22, 2015 S marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, book
332.6 FAR
Hailey
Hailey marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Elizabeth Hills
Elizabeth Hills marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Marko Mehner
Marko Mehner marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Yevgeny
Yevgeny marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Henry
Henry rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Sylvie
Sylvie marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Jon
Jon rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Sinan Yuce
Sinan Yuce marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Gema Baldwin
Gema Baldwin marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Citizen Marketers: When People Are the Message
  • The Only Guide to a Winning Investment Strategy You'll Ever Need: The Way Smart Money Preserves Wealth Today
  • Essentials of Accounting
  • Product Design And Development
  • Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls
  • The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read: The Simple, Stress-Free Way to Reach Your Investment Goals
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Hire with Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Great Teams
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • It's Not about the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • Ordinary People, Extraordinary Wealth
  • The New Coffeehouse Investor
  • Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock Your Business Potential
  • Get It Together: Organize Your Records So Your Family Won't Have To