Start by marking “Hacker” as Want to Read:
Hacker

Hacker

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,221 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
How can Vicky prove her father is innocent of stealing a million pounds from the bank where he works? There’s only one way – to attempt to break into the bank’s computer files.
Paperback, Large Print, 269 pages
Published by Galaxy (first published March 19th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Hacker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hacker

Alison
Hacker opens with Vicky and the rest of her Year 8 class (including her adopted brother Gib and his annoying friend Chaucy) waiting to take a Maths exam. Inside the exam hall Vicky notices several people cheating, including her friend Maggie. Vicky has a programmable calculator, and writes a programme to work out interior and exterior angles and areas of shapes. Unfortunately since she finishes her exam in 20 minutes instead of two hours, her teacher assumes that she is the hacker that stole the ...more
✿☺☠♥LILLY♥☺☠✿
OMG, THAT WAS THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!
Salwa
Jun 14, 2014 Salwa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing and Malorie Blackman inspires me a lot. This book had a surprising twist to it that made me even doubt my own family just like pretty little liars and prison break.
Simon Taylor
Jan 25, 2014 Simon Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Malorie Blackman’s classic Hacker got itself another whirl this week. Told through the eyes of schoolgirl and amateur programmer Victoria, we hear of her father’s supposedly wrongful arrest for stealing 1million from the bank at which he works. Victoria and her adoptive brother set about trying to unmask the real culprit to exonerate their dad.

There’s an awful lot right with this book. Bearing in mind the target audience, the plot is clever. Although simplistic, the obligatory red herrings are c
Farah Morsi
Feb 11, 2014 Farah Morsi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book and such an amazing story!
I got taught a great life lesson from it- that Patience is great and to never trust everyone!
Also, I learnt more vocab. :)
Thank you to the amazing writer Malorie Blackman, Im looking forward to read more of her books.
Emma
Nov 02, 2014 Emma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually didn't mind this book all that much, there was nothing special about it, but nothing terrible about it either! Overall, a nice, easy read.
Anya
Jul 09, 2014 Anya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very short at only 200 pages, but caters and plays to its young target audience with its dramas, family troubles and over-the-top attitude that EVERYTHING IS MY FAULT! Oh yeah, I remember that stage of my teens! So, Victoria's father works at a bank and just after her first exam of the season, he is arrested for stealing money. She and her family know he can't have done so, so Victoria, with her computer skills, goes about proving his innocence.

A short but sweet story of a young teen
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Let me first off start this interview with a lot of gushing. Malorie Blackman is, and probably always will be, one of my favourite authors of all time. There seems to be nothing that she cannot write and she always does it with brilliant efficiency, and Hacker is no exception. If I had read this book when I was younger, I believe that my three stars would definitely have been closer to four, or even five stars because this book caters to the younger audiences extremely well. Her writing style fl ...more
Michaela Johnson-
Aug 28, 2013 Michaela Johnson- rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hacker by Malorie Blackman

‘Hacker’ by Malorie Blackman is the story of a young girl Victoria, whose father is accused of stealing a million pounds from the bank he works at. Vicky and her adopted brother Gibb do not usually get on, like most siblings, but with Vicky’s knowledge in computer systems and Gibb’s passion to clear his dads’ name the race is on for the teens to figure how the money got into his account.

Vicky had always been interested in computer systems and programming so her dad had
Amy
Mar 22, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
I reviewed this on my blog as part of Malorie Blackman month- during March 2013 reviews are of books by her- click here for them all- you can see the GIF's that aren't included in the review on goodreads!

Who can resist the apprehension that comes with HACKER? Unlike ANTIDOTE (which I thought it'd be similar to) it has its laughs and probably is aimed at slightly older as it was deeper and more emotional. So I wouldn't give my first impressions a gold star, or any star for that matter! I presumed
Sashinka
Aimed at 10-13 yr olds, this is another book that my class will probably enjoy. It tells the story of Victoria Gibson and the events of about 5 very dramatic days in her life: her adopted father gets arrested for stealing 1 million pounds from his bank and it is up to Victoria to hack into the bank system in order to help save him.
While I woudln't recommend this for adults, children will enjoy this. It deals with some quite difficult themes in a fast paced adventure.
Muhsana
Apr 28, 2016 Muhsana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!! this book was absolutely amazing as i carried on reading the book i got really engaged to it and couldn't take my eyes off it
i normally don't tend to read such books but to my surprise i loved this book and malorie blackman is now my favorite author
this is a must read book if you havent read it i think you should go over and get it its just mind blowing twists in the story
H.G. Sansostri
'Hacker' will not entertain you nor bore you.

I thought at the beginning this book was boring, or the metaphorically 'without colour', because it seemed that a thriller novel would have more excitement and mystery to it. This book was about two kids who are basically solving a mystery like 'Scooby-Doo!'
No offence to Malorie Blackman as she is a very good author, I personally didn't enjoy or cherish the moment when I first opened 'Hacker'. I use the word Cherish as I love to read and write.

I have
Rainbowstarki
Aug 03, 2014 Rainbowstarki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think hacker is a really good book. It leads you to a person you think is the criminal but then you find out they aren't. Hacker is one of those books I recommend to people who LOVe watching/ reading mystery and smartness!!!
Andy Bird
Mar 03, 2013 Andy Bird rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2
Let me say that this is not rubbish, but i had to give it a 2 because a; it is quite dated and b; it is very cliche. It is on the younger side of young adult which i was not expecting from Blackman (having read Naughts and Crosses). The 'hacker' title also led me to expect something a bit more interesting, however the title should be taken with quite a pinch of salt particularly as technology has moved on a lot. I also thought the end was very sudden and didn't rap up some of the cliche issues v ...more
Mehala
Oct 02, 2015 Mehala rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was OK. Not bad but not exactly the most entertaining either. This book is for younger readers, really.
Femi
Dec 18, 2015 Femi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really love the book and had such an unexpected twist in it. Great read!
Maria
Interesting , adventurous and full of surprises.
Asiya
this was so intresting and amazing to reas
Estrella
Very good bk, favorite bk ever
Hantulan
Feb 05, 2015 Hantulan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
gooddddddddddddddddddddddd
Jaz
Jul 17, 2014 Jaz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg memories! :D
Faduma Mohamed
Jan 06, 2015 Faduma Mohamed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVE IT!!
riri
Feb 21, 2014 riri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good
Ellen
Feb 20, 2016 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, fiction
Loved this book as a kid, and my first Malorie Blackman book too.
Labibah Safdar
Nov 01, 2012 Labibah Safdar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Vicky's father gets arrested he gets accused of putting 1 million pounds in his bank account at the bank that he works at. Vicky really wants to find the real thief; she wants to prove her father's innocence. She hacks the bank system and tries to find the real thief and she actually finds them.
Nicola Muzsla
Interesting plot, struggled through the last thrty-odd pages because I got bored. Definitely for the younger reader. At 18 I felt like the main character was very immature and couldn't relate (although she is about 12 in the book) Not a bad quick read overall though.
Amy
Nov 10, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved every moment in this book. At the start I wondered what twist Malorie Blackman was going to put in as I know she is an amazing author. It worked really well and I could easily picture evry scene in my mine. Loved it!
Bettie☯

TR Hacker

#44 tbr busting 2013
Joanna Eaton
Apr 17, 2013 Joanna Eaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, another amazing book by malorie blackman. I read this about 2 years ago but still remember it. It was so interesting and i really liked it. It was really exiting and i would reccomend it.
  • Raven Summer
  • Finding Jennifer Jones (Jennifer Jones, #2)
  • Demon Heart (Darkworld, #3)
  • The Secret of Killimooin (The Secret Series, #4)
  • Tightrope
  • House of Cards
  • Back Home
  • Sword of Lies
  • The Diddakoi
  • The Truth about Celia Frost
  • Wasted Years (Charles Resnick, #5)
  • The Vanishing Shadow (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #1)
  • Mercy Kill (Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #2)
  • The Worst Witch Strikes Again (Worst Witch, #2)
  • Please Don't Tell My Parents I've Got Henchmen
  • Girls in Tears (Girls, #4)
  • The Queen's Nose
  • Flying High (Angels Unlimited, #3)
An award-winning children's author, Malorie Blackman was honoured with an OBE in 2008. Her work has been adapted for TV and stage.

More information available at:
Myspace
British Council: Contemporary Authors
British Council: Encompass Culture
Channel 4 Learning: Book Box
More about Malorie Blackman...