Start by marking “The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook

The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  345 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Cooking is easier when an expert shows, step-by-step, how to
prepare a recipe. We planned this cookbook so that even a
beginning cook could successfully use our recipes simply by
.t-ollowing the diagrams of the steps along with the recipe itself. In
this collection of recipes, we demonstrate all the fundamental
cooking techniques, from folding in egg whites, to kneading bread,
r
Published October 1st 1980 by Hearst Communications (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook

Valerie
My grandmother gave me this book the year I left home - 1980. I have used it many, many times to make yummy dinners, desserts and veggie dishes. And I have spent many more hours sitting down and scanning through the illustrated pages at the front of the book that show photos of every dish in the book. Seeing the photo gives me a good idea if I can make the dish, and how I will serve it. Each chapter and most recipes show prep techniques so you can see how to do some steps. Which is incredibly he ...more
Gloria
One of my favorite cookbooks. I love love love how every recipe in the book is categorized and pictured in the front of the book. I've found recipes in here that I thought I'd never find anyway. Excellent book.

And buy the way, I don't date any of these cookbooks in my collection as I never Finish a cookbook!
Etherealfire
I'm a bad, bad girl. I "borrowed" this book from my little sister and never managed to give it back because just like my BH&G Cookbook (my mom-in-law legacy), my classic Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook (my mom legacy), this book is an essential for really good, really simple, home cooking. But all is forgiven, because my sister has lived with us for almost as long as the book and is part of a happily shared resource book for the whole family. The thing I love the most about this book (and why ...more
Kim
I call this cookbook my Old Reliable. It's older than me and has never failed me once. (Well, once, but I'm pretty sure that was user error)

I'm also convinced this book is magic, because every time I flip through it, I find a recipe that I don't remember seeing before.

If someone came and tried to take away all my cookbooks, this is the one I'd fight for.
Jaclyn
I refer to this cookbook for EVERYTHING. It is so handy. I will only look online for a recipe if I can't find it in here.
Chaosru
My father ordered this book for me one Christmas. I learned to cook as a teen with this book and the Joy of Cooking. This one, however, offered handy pictures of the finished product and several tips that a teen needs, like how to set a table or plan a complete meal.

This book actually taught me how to make fine pastries, chocolate mousse and good rustic breads, with the ingredients I was likely to find in the average grocery store. My Thanksgiving stuffing and several recipes that I have been k
Emily
my most used and loved cookbook
Anne Foley
It taught me how to cook at 23 and just married (now age 55!) - I am no longer married but still have this wonderful book and the memories of it's exploration...

The book is held together with mailing tape and it's pages are covered with food stains on the many recipes that I made. The pictures were the best part for a young cook; just learning.

It makes me smile now - and remember - kind of like the memory of a "first love" (not the former husband-the book!). :-)
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Of the over a couple of dozen cookbooks in our shelves, this general cookbook is the one we've used the most over the years--you can tell from how it's falling apart, battered and stained. Yes, it's pretty old--from before I was born, and Joy of Cooking, which we bought last year, has come to replace this as our go-to book--maybe more because we don't have to deal with pages falling out everywhere. But as a basic cookbook, this was hard to beat.
Carol
This was loaned to me by my best friend Jan (before she was my bff I should add), I never gave it back. It can teach you how to make ANYTHING. It's original purpose for me was to make a wedding cake (with my daughter and her friend Erin) for Jan's sister, complete with fondant icing and piping. Thanks Jan! -We did get you another one, didn't we? -
Jodi
My favorite all-around cookbook. This book has simple, easy to use recipes for everyday use. Many of my cookbooks have specialized recipes with strange ingredients that I will rarely use. This one helps me with the recipes I make more frequently, like pancakes, muffins, or meatloaf.
Kathleen
Useful for it's wide-reaching selection and wealth of information. Photos have a now dated look and often leave me uninspired but I won't donate this book. Was a bridal shower gift yrs. ago but I still find it a useful resource now & again.
Dixie Diamond
Pretty good general cookbook. A lot of the hors d'oeuvres recipes seem pretty dated, and there is a lot of canned soup, but the basics are still useful. I think I like my 1975 Joy of Cooking a little better, but this still serves me well.
Diane
i really like this cookbook. it has a color picture for every dish offered; my only quibble is that all the pictures are close to the beginning of the book, instead of on the page each recipe is on. but on the whole, a really nice book
Shelia
Best all-around cookbook. Got it as a shower present almost 30 years ago and it is still the first cookbook I reach for. Pictures of every recipe in the front of the book make it easy to flip through for ideas.
Kristen
Jan 03, 2014 Kristen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kristen by: mom
Shelves: cooking
great step by step instructions
Nicole
This is my cooking bible. I refer to it for anything I don't know or am not sure of. Try the Black Forest Cake recipe! My husband loves it. I think every household should have this book.
Martha
My Dad gave me this book when I was in my twenties & I use it more than any other cookbook in the house. It is perfect for someone just learning to cook. The recipes are delicious!
I learned how to cook with this book. Made moo goo gai pan with my dad when I was about 10. Still use recipes from it today.
Effie
I've had this book for a million years. I always end up checking it when I have a question about a cooking technique.
Elizabeth
With my first paycheck, I bought this cookbook. It was an invaluable reference book and helped get me through college.
Janice
Give me pictures and I'm happy. This book does that, plus recipes of meals that I would normally cook for my family.
Nina Hedin
Great basic cookbook... have been referencing it for years! No fail recipes and techniques.
Teresa B
Step by step illustrations are really helpful for novices or for cooking with kids.
Carol Hardesty
This is the main cookbook at my house. It's got a lot of good recipes.
Valerie
My first grown-up cookbook!
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Suzanne Nolen
Suzanne Nolen marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure
  • 30-Minute Get Real Meals: Eat Healthy Without Going to Extremes
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • The Star Wars Cookbook II: Darth Malt and More Galactic Recipes
  • Cook Right 4 Your Type: The Practical Kitchen Companion to Eat Right 4 Your Type
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Easy, Great-Tasting Dishes for Everyone -- from Appetizers and Soups to Entrees and Desserts
  • Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
  • If the Buddha Came to Dinner: How to Nourish Your Body to Awaken Your Spirit
  • Great Good Food: Luscious Lower-Fat Cooking
  • Stalking the Healthful Herbs
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Vol. 1
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals