Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt, #3)

Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt #3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  7,080 ratings  ·  208 reviews
One of the world's most acclaimed adventure writers returns to the world of ancient Egypt with the stunning sequel to the New York Times bestselling River God. In the wake of a sixty-year war over the reign of the kingdoms of Egypt, two young pharaohs have risen to claim power, but only one can succeed, deciding the fate of his empire forever...

The mission of Prince Nefer,
Published September 16th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1995)

The Egyptian by Mika WaltariFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowNefertiti by Michelle MoranRiver God by Wilbur SmithThe Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran
Best Egyptian Historical Fiction
9th out of 123 books — 215 voters
Nefertiti by Michelle MoranThe Heretic Queen by Michelle MoranRiver God by Wilbur SmithFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowCleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran
Best Books About Egypt
11th out of 335 books — 363 voters

More lists with this book...

(´*•.¸ღBexღ¸.•*´)
The third in a series of books about ancient Egypt, WARLOCK returns to Taita, an eunuch slave who has served several pharaohs. Readers who met Taita in the first books of this series will love being able to read about him again in his latest mission. After getting a vision from the deceased Lostris, the queen Taita faithfully served and loved, he returns from his solitary life in the desert to help her grandson, Nefer Seti. Taita protects Nefer as he is thrust into a dangerous position at the yo...more
Charmaine Lloyd
I love Wilbur Smith. He manages to write a book that espouses adventure, history, friendship and romance all at once.

The central character Taita; though a eunuch, is a dashing “romantic” lead with his on-going love for Queen Lostris. In this world and time, it is refreshing to read of love beyond the physical.

The story of ancient Egypt unfolds colourfully and the other lead characters are so relatable in their contrasts - Light and dark, love and hate, arrogance and compassion and the characte...more
Alex Telander
There is a new magician to be added to the pantheon where the likes of Merlin and Gandalf reside: his name is Taita, a former eunuch slave, who is now the mighty and much-feared warlock of ancient Egypt.

Wilbur Smith, bestselling author from South Africa, brings us his compelling sequel to River God, a novel of Egypt’s past, where a pharaoh and her eunuch slave evaded capture to fight against an evil conspiracy. The premise originally arose from a papyrus scroll that was brought to Smith, where t...more
Art Tirrell
Oct 04, 2007 Art Tirrell rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers who love adventure and romance
Shelves: alltimefavorites
THE WONDERFUL TAITA HAS LOST HIS CHARM

I've read Wilbur Smith's novels, "River God" and "The Seventh Scroll", and although I thought both went on too long and tried to do too much, I loved them for their originality and the excellent drawing of the principal character and narrator, the eunuch Taita.

In Warlock, as in the two "Taita" novels mentioned above, Smith again tries to bite off a smidge too much scope but where the earlier stories were so strong I found myself able to overlook this flaw,...more
Christina Maxfield
Third installment of the ancient Egyptian series by this author. I really liked this book. Mr. Smith writes with the depth and attention to detail that I think other authors should take into consideration. The continuing tale of the warlock Taita and his life through yet another Egyptian dynasty is just as attention holding as the first book "River God". Didn't want it to end but there is more out there to read.
Rivqah
What a wonderful mystical adventure set in Ancient Egypt. This is one series of which I will be sad to reach the end. The wonderful Taita makes this book. Without him, it probably would not be as interesting. He has grown as a person until becoming one who lives in the spiritual dimension as well as the physical, as humans were meant to do according to Ancient Egyptian philosophy. So sad that many of us have lost this in so-called "modern" times. But there is some hope that it is being "discover...more
Dorothy
This book is a cross between an ancient Egyptian bodice-ripper and "The Return of the Jedi," with a little Marquis de Sade thrown in for good measure. I had read the first two books in the series, "River God" and "The Seventh Scroll," and had found them interesting enough to carry on to the third, but as far as I am concerned Smith went completely off the track with this one.

Taita, the eunuch slave, was an enormously talented MAN in the first book. He used his knowledge in the service of his bel...more
Allie Cross
My God, this is hilariously bad writing. How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways.

Obi wan Taita is so ridiculously overpowered I never felt like the "Good Guys" could fail. Yes, he did do the "These are not the droids you're looking for" scene. He also managed to call up a sandstorm, fake someone's death, and communicate telepathically. Since he can also control people as well, I view the whole story as his fucking about with the world for a sense of amusement. It certainly explains away a lo...more
Neil Hanson
I almost didn't read this book. I loved River God, but this one got disappointing reviews from others who loved River God. I will say that while I don't think it was nearly as good as River God, it's still a very good story, and well worth the time reading it.

I liked the first person voice of Taita better in River God, but using this narrative form allowed the author to more easily be telling several different lines of narration at the same time, which was perfect for this story.

It got a bit slo...more
Will Hogarth
There is no getting away with the fact that Wilbur Smith is a great wordsmith and story teller, but this book fell short of the mark for me.

The characters are all well formed to a point where you cheer the heroes on and the plot is woven well to maintain pace, in what is a lengthy novel (over 500 pages) and at times the imagery conjured up by smith is second to none, but it still left me feeling underwhelmed.

For me smith at times seemed to go too far with areas of gratuitous and sexual violence...more
Elishua Loh
Reread because I simply don't remember most of the story. I would strongly advise people to read this serial now in reverse order so that you can still enjoy this book without comparing this with the first or second book.
This book is like the second season of Spartacus, more blood, more gore, more sex and with another guy playing Spartacus. I watched the first season and fell in love with the first Spartacus and was most grieved when I realised towards the end of season one that the actor died....more
Pat Anderson
As usual, Smith makes you feel as if you are right there along with the characters. I've read some reviews saying that he strays too much into the supernatural but he has done this before - the Umlimo in the Ballantyne books, for example. I have read this book three times now and still found it a page-turner every time. Taita has developed as a character in this book; he is still as wise as ever but has added magic to his repertoire. Ignore the sneerers; this is a great adventure story.
Maxi Shelton
Wilbur Smith is one of my favourite authors to listen to on audio book. He is not for the faint hearted or weak stomached. He doesn't hold back with any of the descriptions on anything, truly! He will take you on a journey thats full of riches to just basically disgusting. You can almost hear, see and smell each scene he describes, you want to reach out and touch the riches and shrink away from the filth. It's something we all need to experience, great listen/read!
Siomha
Well, damn...All of you guys are saying you read the first two books, and that this one was horrible, basically. But i haven't read the other two book, this is my first time reading a book by Wilbur Smith, and i LOVED it. As far as I'm concerned, this was a well-written thought out book, couldn't have been better.
I realize you might not agree with me, and in order to see where you guys are coming from, I'll go read his other books.
Lizzy B
Once again, Wilber Smith shows great skill and craftman ship in tying together storyline with historical context and human inter-relations. Seemless! A long read but well worth it. The tension is raised in all the right places and the characters come alive. You are drawn into this ancient way of life and so colourful is Smiths writing that you can't help but get emotionally involved! Stunning!
Michael
Ancient Egypt. Historical fiction. More fiction since the history of this time is short on detail, and the author filled in the blanks with great imagination. The character Taita, the warlock of the title, is one of my favorites from any story. This is second of a series that starts with "River God", and finishes with "The Quest". I love these books, and recommend them to anyone.
Lyn
Another re-read, again from close to the publishing date. Parts toward the end were a bit gory, but no one ever said ancient times was a walk in a theme park! I like this author's style; and while I thoroughly enjoyed his group of Egyptian novels, I'm really going to have to take a look at some of his other collections.
Heather
Sandy
Mar 17, 2013 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All lovers of adventure and historical fiction

On 20 CDs and narrated by Stephen Thorne this book takes on a whole new life and made even better the second time around. Heroic, heart-rending,romantic, barbaric, magical - indeed, the stuff of legend.
Although the third book in the series built around Taita it is still a tale unto itself and I loved it!
Terry
This is what happens to Egypt, fantasy, and a brilliant cast of characters when placed in the hands of a master. Sweeping, intense, well-crafted, and a fine blurring between magic and reality.
Highest recommendation.
Mary
Aug 25, 2007 Mary rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bleh
Shelves: summerreading
Sigh...this was just not as good as the first book in the series. All the cool characters, save one, are dead. It's told in the third person, as opposed to the first. Didn't finish it.
Natasha Venter van niekerk

Absolutely brilliant. Smith at his best.
Dimitris Dubois
I loved it, everything he writes mesmerizes me!
Lala
I wish this could be made into a movie!!!
Mike Ratner
A perfect historical fantasy novel.
A long read but well worth it.
Neville
Wilbur Smith u r a gem of a writer.
Eva
May 11, 2011 Eva rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
My favourite Wilbur Smith novel.
Eric
One of my all time favorites!!!
Helen
Brilliant, as Wilbur Smith always is.
  • Ramses: The Battle of Kadesh (Ramses, #3)
  • Lady of the Reeds (Lady of the Reeds, #1)
  • The Lost Army
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so...more
More about Wilbur Smith...
River God (Ancient Egypt, #1) The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2) When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1) Monsoon (Courtney #10) Birds of Prey (Courtney #9)