Start by marking “Lazy Little Loafers” as Want to Read:
Lazy Little Loafers

Lazy Little Loafers

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Orchid Thief comes a smart, hilarious take on what babies contribute—or don’t—to the world.

Ever experienced stroller envy? Ever wished you were applauded just for walking across a room? Ever wanted to loaf about the park on a blanket in the middle of a school day with nothing on your agenda but being relaxed and happy? Then
Published October 1st 2008 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Lazy Little Loafers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lazy Little Loafers

Hope
Oct 24, 2008 Hope added it
This is a funny concept, but I have a couple quibbles that all fall under the heading of written more for adults than children. Way too much text -- you could easily have cut 30% and still accomplished the same. I also got tired of the snarky tone the MC uses. It seems way too road-weary for a child. I do believe an older sib would be resentful and so on, but it just seemed over the top.
Nicole
Jul 25, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it
Lazy babies get a good talking to, and rightly so, with all their loafing about. Go get a job, babies! Stop mooching off the rest of us!
When I was a child, I don't know how much I would have enjoyed this book. But as an adult who feels very dubious about babies, this was hilarious and so cute.
Maria
Feb 25, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing
Personal Response
In this amusing story, an older sister questions why more babies don’t work and apply themselves to be useful. The book unfolds with great humor and resentment towards babies, but she comes to a very simple conclusion that puts a smile on everyone’s face. Children of older age will love this book because most children also have to deal with young, righteous siblings, and I think they will understand the humor more in this pleasant story than will children of 5, 6, and maybe 7 y
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
Oct 11, 2008 Roxanne Hsu Feldman rated it it was ok
Too bad: it has some potential to be completely fun, but it falls short at times, and especially at the end. A book like this without a big, humorous, surprising pay-off at the end does little to warrant recommendation. The illustrations are darling -- the narrator and her over-sized backpack are great. The tone is quite funny from the get-go, but lines like, "They don't work but still go out for the three-bottle lunch and get a little tipsy?" is not created to entertain the child reader/listene ...more
Juliana Lee
Aug 10, 2014 Juliana Lee rated it really liked it
I like the narrator's voice, a little mature for her age, leaving me wondering if all New York school kids are so sophisticated. And I loved the humor in the artwork. I especially liked the last illustration... the narrator enters the school building and realizes that babies are too smart for school when a baby passing by in a stroller sticks out his tongue at her, showing the reader that babies really do know what they're doing!

With the setting in early September and the narrator bemoaning her
Jane G Meyer
Apr 22, 2010 Jane G Meyer rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I can't tell you how much I dislike this picture book. I have tried three times to read it to my toddler (poor little guinea pig, the only reason I keep trying is to see his reactions) and we simply can not make it through. The author employs some sarcasm and heaps of adult humor, which flies right over the head of my little one. And because so much of the story is told through the humor there really isn't any point in reading on; he just stares at the ceiling waiting for me to let him out of pi ...more
Cassie
This girl has something to say. Everyone is out in the world busy with their lives, except babies. Babies seem to have it easy! The girl spends the day examining the lives of babies and gathering evidence of their laziness.

This would be a great book to read to elementary age kids.

There is this line: "Is it possible they don't work but still go out for a three-bottle lunch and get a little tipsy?" that may not fly if you're reading it for a school. That line in particular seemed a little out of p
kb
Dec 14, 2013 kb rated it liked it
Why do the babies never work?

This book takes home all the awards: eye-catching cover, sensible story and beautiful illustrations. I bagged this for my godchild who has just recently earned a little baby sister, thinking how perfect it was to give her a book that would make her curious about babies, such as what they do, how they feel and well, why, they always just keep lying around and drinking milk. Having read it already (lol when it comes to bookish gifts, I usually ~use them first), it sure
Alma Loredo
The narrator of the story wants to know why babies do not work. She says that there are many babies and many jobs that they can occupy but instead all these babies are just loafing around. She does not understand my babies are not given any task when children have to deal with school and everything else that comes along with school. After observing her little brother on her way to school she realizes that the breed is simply too smart to work. The book was cute and funny.
Gabrielle
Mar 19, 2010 Gabrielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: division-1, div-2
Why don't babies work? this is the question. I think many elementary school kids have thought about this as the leave their houses early in the morning on the way to school while liitle siblings remain tucked up in beds or playing in the play room. It's just not fair.. so why don't babies do anything useful.. I have to wonder myself.
Tamara
Nov 24, 2008 Tamara rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Why are babies so lazy? This girl protagonist, with an attitude similar to Harriet the Spy and Nancy Drew, tries to find the answer to this very important question. Great for kids in school who just acquired a baby sibling.

I think I may start referring to babies as "chubby little people."

BTW, the author is also the author of The Orchid Thief. How strange!
Auttumn C
Apr 03, 2011 Auttumn C rated it it was amazing
This was one of the funniest childrens books I have read. I could relate with this book because I just got a new step brother it was a tough adjustment but I went through the same feelings as this little girl. It would be fun to share this story with a child who just got a new sibling and see their reaction to the story.
Suzette
If you are looking for a book to give a boy or girl with a new baby sibling, consider Lazy Little Loafers by Susan Orlean. While the child you give it to could probably read it themselves with no problem (the intended age level seems to be 4 to 8 or 9 years old), the prose definitely holds up better if read aloud.

Further review to follow.
Tricia
Jan 16, 2009 Tricia rated it it was ok
so i guess because the author hails from cleveland that i should be more forgiving? sorry, didn't pull enough for higher than two stars. elementary school-aged child grumbles about the worthlessness of babies, who don't work or attend school. in the end, she calls them smart but just not an appealing story.
The Brothers
Feb 06, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: babies, laziness, siblings
A funny book about a little girl's ponderings on why babies don't go to work. She has to go to school and do homework and chores, but babies just get to laze about all day doing what they want. In the end, you discover that the baby she has been studying to try to figure out why babies have it so easy is her little brother.

Great illustrations.
Mrs Royle
Sep 29, 2010 Mrs Royle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 40-books
c. 2008 genre:
I thought this was a great book to use to teach point of view. This little girl just can't fathom why babies don't work! It is pretty funny. It would also be good to use when a new baby arrives to a family.
Susan
Dec 12, 2008 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It was ok. somewhat humorous look at why babies are lazy and do nothing all day, unlike the narrator who has homework, chores, etc.. The art style is different...although not exactly like Knuffle Bunny it does has a mix of NYC landscapes and cartoon art.
Joenna
Dec 15, 2008 Joenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool
While walking to school, lugging a heavy backpack through New York City one morning, a disgruntled child questions why babies are so lazy, spending their days on useless activities such as napping and babbling rather than getting jobs.
The Library Lady
Oct 25, 2008 The Library Lady rated it did not like it
This doesn't sound like a kid's voice--I mean "tipsy after a three bottle lunch"?

There are much much funnier books about babies from kids point of view. And if you want a ROTFL sort for older kids, try "Earthlets" by Jeannette Willis, with hilarious illustrations by Tony Ross!
Lupine
The older child especially one with a new sibling will enjoy this though not sure if they'll get all the humor. Made me laugh out loud though!
Amy Mccarty
8/8/13
29 pages
Kaethe
Jan 10, 2010 Kaethe rated it liked it
Ha. Not all writers for adults do well switching over to children's, and I'm not sure Orlean is cut out for it. It had one good joke, though. And I liked the picture of the bullfighter.
Melissa
Feb 27, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Hilarious book, but not for small children who won't get the humor. Elementary aged kids who have baby siblings will love it and relate to the story. Smart!
Donald Armfield
Jun 22, 2012 Donald Armfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
While reading this to my daughters I had a few laughs myself. The older girl talks to the baby in the grass. Suggesting he get a job because all his spare time.

I laughed while reading. Great!
Rachael
Sep 29, 2008 Rachael rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is about a little girl that just doesn't understand why babies don't work. It's really funny!
Kay
Jul 15, 2011 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This book is hilarious. The first page says this. "Here's a question for you: why don't more babies work?" It's an unusual perspective of a little girl on a much-discussed topic.
Ruthie
Jan 16, 2012 Ruthie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
silly and great drawings.
not sure if kids will like but it made me laugh
Shuntia Williams
Apr 08, 2011 Shuntia Williams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Awesome book!!!! A little girl is trying to find the reason why babies do not work. She finally decides that they are too smart to work. Great story for a read aloud just for fun.
Rachel
Dec 01, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
A very funny picturebook! A school-aged girl tells us all about babies and their lazy, loafing nature.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I'm the product of a happy and uneventful childhood in the suburbs of Cleveland, followed by a happy and pretty eventful four years as a student at University of Michigan. From there, I wandered to the West Coast, landing in Portland, Oregon, where I managed (somehow) to get a job as a writer. This had been my dream, of course, but I had no experience and no credentials. What I did have, in spades ...more
More about Susan Orlean...