Start by marking “The Moon Book” as Want to Read:

The Moon Book

Facts about the moon, including eclipses and its different phases.
Published July 16th 2003 by Holiday House (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Moon Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moon Book

Natalie Haldeman
Title: The Moon Book
Author: Gail Gibbons
Genre: Photographic Essay
Theme(s): Moon, Astronomy
Opening line/sentence: As the sun sets at the end of each day, the sky becomes darker and darker.
Brief Book Summary: This book gives a lot of information about the moon and about space. It goes through the different phases of the moon as well as the different astronomers who studied the moon. It also talks about the different eclipses that the moon goes through.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: This f
Courtney
Mar 22, 2015 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3-5-lit
This INFORMATIONAL TEXT is fabulous! I loved it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good book for their classroom or kids. The Moon Book is a book that describes anything and everything you could wish to know about the moon. The author shares stories of the moon; what people think it is and its purpose, the shape of it, the color of it and the craters. As you get deeper into the book Ms. Gibbons shares how the moon gets its different shape by going into detail about each of the phases ...more
Ms. Choi
Mar 23, 2015 Ms. Choi rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-5-reading
INFO/NONFICTION TEXT - THE MOON BOOK talks about anything and everything related to the moon. It discusses the different phases, craters, peoples' views, moon landings, and other historical information. The book is really easy to follow and provides a lot of illustrations that will allow readers to better comprehend the material. Everything is detailed and the realistic photos make it that much more interesting to look through.

I would definitely recommend this book to teachers and students, espe
Meghan Collins
I have to say that I love Gail Gibbons' work! I have used a lot of her books in my classroom and they are excellent sources of factual information, especially for younger children.

This book walks through literally most information about the moon. The book uses the term 'our moon' leading the reader on a journey through learning about the moon. Throughout the book, it discusses the moon as it rises, it sets, why it takes different shapes, its position from the earth, all the planets around it, w
Elizabeth
May 03, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This book is great for children ages 4/5 and up, and does a wonderful job with informing children about the moon, and all things it can do, such as orbiting, eclipsing, etc. Gail Gibbons uses very simple and early reader-appropriate language that helps keep this book fun while still being fast-paced, informative, and to the point. The illustrations are very pretty and keep the readers attention and gives a perfect visual for what the author writes. I think this book is a very, very good science ...more
Travis Kesinger
May 05, 2015 Travis Kesinger rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction:
I was not particularly thrilled with this book, however it was also not terribly bad. I was able to read through it easily, gain knowledge and/or see the intended learning elements, but it wasn't really for me. I am not much of a science fan in the first place, so it is hard for me to get into books like this. I chose it though because I always struggled with the moon cycle as a child, and wanted to gauge how informative it would be. Overall it certainly served the purpose I s
Alexis Adelman
Nov 28, 2014 Alexis Adelman rated it it was amazing
This book is all about the moon. It is an informational text that gives us many facts about the moon for over many years. The author goes into very deep detail. The authors main purpose in writing this book is to inform the reader about the moon. It tells us about how Paul Armstrong went to the moon and was the first person ever on the moon. It also informs us on the different eclipses of the moon, and the different phases of the moon. Ex., full moon half moon, waxing, crescent, new moon. It als ...more
Kaitlin
Nov 29, 2014 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
The Moon Book is very informative about everything that has to do with the moon. It talks about the different moon phases and even has a flow diagram to show you how they come in order. It talks about the various moon landings that people have both failed and succeeded on such as Apollo 8 and Luna 3. This book contains a sort of history lesson because of these reported events and there is a date given of when each craft was launched.
The pictures are very simply drawn with the same characters act
Nicole White
Sep 23, 2012 Nicole White rated it it was amazing
By Gail Gibbons

1. Genre: Concept picture book

2. The Moon Book is a wonderful non-fiction concept book that accurately teaches children just about everything they need and may want to know about the moon.

3. a. The main strength of this book is its accuracy.
b. The Moon Book accurately details the moon’s role and location in our solar system, myths and ancient ideas about the moon, as well as how and why the moon goes through phases.
c. I chose to use this book to help teach a few les
Maddie Scheer
May 04, 2015 Maddie Scheer rated it really liked it
1. I thought this book was interesting. Space and the Moon aren't my favorite subjects but I definitely thought this was a helpful book for learning more about the moon and eclipses and how it all comes together to work for our planet every day.
2. I would definitely use this book in my classroom to teach my students about space and the moon. It is great for children from age 5 and up! It does a wonderful job informing about the moon and all the things that the moon does. It would be a great intr
Melissa Hazelbaker
Mar 08, 2014 Melissa Hazelbaker rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of all the Gail Gibbons' books that we use in class. When space was a standard, I loved to read this book to my kids. Ms. Gibbons' puts in so many facts and information, that usually with her books, I allow two days to read. The Moon Book gives great facts on our moon, it's phases, and even the effect it has on our oceans. We have great discussions with her books and I love allowing the two days to read, so that my students have time to soak in all the knowledge she gives with he ...more
Feras Nasser
Jun 25, 2014 Feras Nasser rated it liked it
The takeaway of this book is basic to more advanced astronomical and some legendary information with respect to our moon. For instance, this book gives the distance between the moon and earth and elaborates on the phases of the moon.

I can use this book to ask my students to observe one of the phases of the moon. They can opt for any phase and describe, take pictures of, and/or video record the specific phase.
Trang
Feb 19, 2012 Trang rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-content
This book is all about the moon. It covers almost all features of and about the moon, including the tides, the different phases or "faces" of the moon, and mankind's adventures on the moon. It includes diagrams with labels and clear and succinct explanations that is perfect for young audiences. This would be a great book to use to introduce the phases of the moon and to allow children to reference.
Dayna
Book Title: The Moon Book by Gail Gibbons
Book Description: The book is about the moon and its different phases.
Focus: Students will use Gail Gibbons, The Moon Book, as a reference to record the phases of the moon through a specific period of time.
CCSS Connections: W.2.7 Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.
Melissa Gregory
Apr 27, 2011 Melissa Gregory rated it liked it
Shelves: moon, picture-book, space
I used this book to help teach a lesson about the moon and other things in space. It was an easy book to use. It gave me many ideas for activities and things to do for my lesson. Some of the parts of the book are not necessary, so while reading aloud I had to leave them out to speed up time. It is an older book, so the illustrations are a little out of date, but overall it is a great book. Also, it gives great descriptions, illustrations and models of each of the moon phases.
Theresa Landgren
This is a story about what the moon means to us on Earth. It talks about the phases of the moon and our moon being our natural satellite. It also discusses the discovery of the moon and how we have explored it through the years.

I would use this story in my classroom when teaching about the moon. I would use it with students to help them learn about the discovery of the moon. Also I would use it to discuss the exploration around the moon with students.
Kelsey Scherer
Nov 27, 2013 Kelsey Scherer rated it really liked it
What a great book to integrate science in the classroom! This book is full of information about the moon. The book is an excellent way to introduce the topic of the moon and it is easy to follow along so students will be able to understand the new subject matter. A fun way to integrate science in the everyday classroom.
Kerri
Nov 11, 2010 Kerri rated it really liked it
Great overview to all things "moon" for kids. It uses an illustrated form and could like it better if they would modernize it with a few real photos thrown in. Otherwise, great first book for youngsters to learn about the moon and its importance and effects to us on earth. Good for an elementary classroom, especially if combined with a book or two that include real moon photographs.
Kathryn Sublett
Apr 11, 2012 Kathryn Sublett rated it really liked it
This book would be a great addition to a fourth grade classroom. It discusses characteristics of the moon and the role it has played in humans lives. It could be used as a top shelf book for a unit on moon phases. I wouldn't recommend reading it aloud, rather it could be used for research on the moon.
Traci Bold
Jun 02, 2015 Traci Bold rated it liked it
Gail Gibbons always delights with her illustrations. 'The Moon Book' gives a great lesson on the moon and it's importance.

She offers so much insight and thought provoking messages throughout her book for young readers. I especially like the moon facts, legends and lore she includes.

Published by Holiday House.
Kelly Francis
Aug 01, 2015 Kelly Francis rated it really liked it
I love Gail Gibbons and plan to use many of the new my classroom. I think she does a great job putting complicated information into words that are easy for children to understand and enjoy. This book can be used to integrate science with reading. It does a good job of explaining vocabulary and the phases of the moon. It can also be used for a sequencing and vocabulary lessons.
Rachael
Grade: 3rd-4th Topic: Astronomy, Phases of the Moon

Children will learn about the moon and other elements of our solar system. This will meet a standard for 2nd grade.
Take pictures of the moon, takes pictures of shadows, recreate a moon calendar. create a representation of the Earth-Sun-Moon dynamic.
Autumn Yoon
Mar 04, 2012 Autumn Yoon rated it really liked it
This book is incredibly informative, using vocabulary and language that is appropriate and understandable for young students probably starting in 3rd grade. With info ranging from the phases of the moon to different spacecrafts and historical facts, this book provides a great range of information or teachers to use when teaching a section on the moon.
Kayla
Apr 26, 2015 Kayla rated it liked it
Shelves: informative
This was a good informational book about the moon. There were tons of beneficial facts about the moon. I liked how the book gave several definitions to break down the information and make it more clear for the reader. I also liked the diagrams that were in the book. I thought they were helpful.
Katrina Kim
Mar 08, 2013 Katrina Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, science
Read when introducing the universe, space, and the moon

* Informational/ Reference
Content:
- Phases "faces" of the moon
- Eclipse
-Tides
- Apollos

The vocabulary words used are understandable, yet challenging at the same time

The illustrations are accurate and appealing
Next to the illustrations are simple yet informal facts about the content of the illustration
Debra
Jan 18, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
Just found a bag of books that I bought during the summer at a local discount book store. They were tucked away in the closet and I forgot about them! So exciting - 5 Gaill Gibbons books that I don't have.
Megan Brooks
Apr 07, 2014 Megan Brooks rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Gail Gibbons does a great job of giving information without making student think he or she is reading a textbook. This book is about the different moon phases. This book is be useful to teach student about the moon
Kelly Whelchel
Science Grade 3rd/4th non-fiction Topic: moon

Use to explore the moon and what comes along with the moon. Break the class into groups and have each group take a phase of the moon. Use the Oreo cookie des with te phases.
Kaitlyn
Apr 14, 2016 Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
Gail Gibbons has done another wonderful job writing The Moon Book. She makes facts about the moon exciting to read. It has diagrams and explanations for why things happen with the moon. It is a great book for elementary age students.
Hope
Mar 20, 2013 Hope rated it it was amazing
Phases of the moon are clearly explained with visual representations. The book mentioned how the moon affected tides, but lacked in explaining the how part.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Drop Of Water: A Book of Science and Wonder
  • If You Decide To Go To The Moon
  • One Tiny Turtle
  • The Cloud Book
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Galapagos George
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • A Black Hole Is Not a Hole
  • Handle with Care: An Unusual Butterfly Journey
  • Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • George Washington Carver
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
From gailgibbons.com: I was born in Oak Park, Illinois, in 1944. Even as a little child, I was always busy putting books together. Sometimes I would bind them with yarn to hold the pages together. I've always loved drawing and painting. I was also a very curious child. My parents tell me that I was always asking lots and lots of questions.

Later, I went on to the University of Illinois, where I stu
More about Gail Gibbons...