Start by marking “Eden: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Eden: A Novel

Eden: A Novel

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A hypnotic, lyrical debut novel about a young black girl in the deep south who comes to confront the realities of sex, race, disease, and death, by a writer of extraordinary emotional depth.

“A profoundly raw and gripping read,” (The Baltimore Sun) Olympia Vernon’s fearless and wildly original debut novel explodes on the first page and sustains a tightrope intensity until t
Published January 1st 2004 by Grove Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eden

Saysha Wilson
This story was told in the voice of a fourteen year old girl raised in the rural south of Mississippi. Olympia Vernon has created a story where you can feel and see what is happening. I was lost for words while reading this story. Each chapter just flows and its hard to put this book down because you have to know what is going to happen next.

Maddy is the daughter of a mother who is a maid for just about every white man in town...and her father is just a shadow in his own house because he's known
Tahira
A quick review:
I didn't expect Eden to be quite as symbolic, poetic, or as metaphorical as it was. I had a difficult time grasping certain images, and felt as though I needed to read very closely to properly interpret certain moments in the plot--much like when reading poetry. In some ways, this was off-putting; I generally do not want to do that much interpretation when I am reading a novel.
At the same time,I respect Vernon as a writer, and my opinion of this book does not reflect the fact that
Lola
Mar 25, 2009 Lola added it
Yeah! and another one bites the dust. this is a no go. one reviewer on the jacket claims the author writes in lyrical poetry? what?! No-no! more like riddles, sometimes i have no idea what the author is trying to say. Just plain frustrating...Next!
Liz
Although I found the writing style annoying at times, I did ultimately find the book to be moving (at least, based on fact that I was wiping tears away as I read the last couple chapters - and on a plane, too - I hate it when that happens).
Gina
I bought this book at Powell's for a dollar. If I hadn't bought it, I wouldn't have bothered finishing it. The plot was horrible, and I couldn't relate to any part of it. The writing was not good either.
Reginald
May 25, 2008 Reginald rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Olympia Vernon is one of the best writers of my generation...Every word, every sentence is line by line poetry...She does her job of writing very well.
Hope
This is still regarded as the worst book ever selected in my book club and we've been a group for almost 3 years.
Emilie Balade
It was extremly vulgar, I was constantly having to put it down, I would never reccomend it or read it again.
Sara
I love this book! 'nuff said.
Jessica Perushek
Jessica Perushek marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Britt Gowen
Britt Gowen marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Lydia Kass
Lydia Kass is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2014
Towanda
Towanda marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Tammara
Tammara marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Aaron Robertson
Aaron Robertson marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
T.
T. marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Sunshine
Sunshine marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Karen Reynolds
Karen Reynolds marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014