Start by marking “Eden: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Eden: A Novel

Eden: A Novel

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A hypnotic, lyrical debut novel about a young black girl in the deep south who comes to confront the realities of sex, race, disease, and death, by a writer of extraordinary emotional depth.

“A profoundly raw and gripping read,” (The Baltimore Sun) Olympia Vernon’s fearless and wildly original debut novel explodes on the first page and sustains a tightrope intensity until t
Published January 1st 2004 by Grove Press (first published January 9th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eden

Saysha Wilson
This story was told in the voice of a fourteen year old girl raised in the rural south of Mississippi. Olympia Vernon has created a story where you can feel and see what is happening. I was lost for words while reading this story. Each chapter just flows and its hard to put this book down because you have to know what is going to happen next.

Maddy is the daughter of a mother who is a maid for just about every white man in town...and her father is just a shadow in his own house because he's known
A quick review:
I didn't expect Eden to be quite as symbolic, poetic, or as metaphorical as it was. I had a difficult time grasping certain images, and felt as though I needed to read very closely to properly interpret certain moments in the plot--much like when reading poetry. In some ways, this was off-putting; I generally do not want to do that much interpretation when I am reading a novel.
At the same time,I respect Vernon as a writer, and my opinion of this book does not reflect the fact that
Mar 25, 2009 Lola added it
Yeah! and another one bites the dust. this is a no go. one reviewer on the jacket claims the author writes in lyrical poetry? what?! No-no! more like riddles, sometimes i have no idea what the author is trying to say. Just plain frustrating...Next!
Although I found the writing style annoying at times, I did ultimately find the book to be moving (at least, based on fact that I was wiping tears away as I read the last couple chapters - and on a plane, too - I hate it when that happens).
I bought this book at Powell's for a dollar. If I hadn't bought it, I wouldn't have bothered finishing it. The plot was horrible, and I couldn't relate to any part of it. The writing was not good either.
May 25, 2008 Reginald rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Olympia Vernon is one of the best writers of my generation...Every word, every sentence is line by line poetry...She does her job of writing very well.
This is still regarded as the worst book ever selected in my book club and we've been a group for almost 3 years.
Emilie Balade
It was extremly vulgar, I was constantly having to put it down, I would never reccomend it or read it again.
I love this book! 'nuff said.
Beatrice marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Krystel marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Radzyyah marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Meg marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Nadria Brown
Nadria Brown is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2015
qtasha marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Mandi marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Tiffany Smith
Tiffany Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Elena marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Jessica Perushek
Jessica Perushek marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Britt Gowen
Britt Gowen marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Lydia Kass
Lydia Kass is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2014
Towanda marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014