Start by marking “The Sleeping Beauty” as Want to Read:
The Sleeping Beauty

The Sleeping Beauty (Children's and Household Tales #50)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  4,992 ratings  ·  49 reviews
The story of the beautiful princess who sleeps for a hundred years has captured the imaginations of children for an even longer period of time. How could everyone in a castle - even the flies on the walls - sleep for a century and then wake up? This magical, beautifully illustrated tale begins when the king excludes the most difficult fairy of the kingdom from a feast cele ...more
Hardcover, Silver Anniversary Edition, 48 pages
Published October 30th 1977 by Little, Brown & Co. (first published July 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Sleeping Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sleeping Beauty

Ann
Oct 08, 2009 Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ann by: Chandra - thank you!
Finally a satisfactory retelling of this classic fairytale!

This is a retelling of the Grimm's version of Sleeping Beauty, and of the Sleeping Beauty books I've read I must say that this was at once the most grim and the most merry.

It contains all the same warnings I've mentioned for other versions:
Dead hens being plucked, a scullery boy being pummeled, bathing women (mostly just bar bums-though, I'm pleased this version clears up the bit about the frog-the queen was bathing in a pond here, which
Meghan
Out of the five picture books we read in class today, this one was my absolute FAVORITE. It was an interesting and rather enjoyable version of Sleeping Beauty. It isn't grim and horrible like what the Grimm Brothers tell and I prefer it over the Disney version, which is saying something since I LOVE Disney. Anyway, this version has more fairies, a gallant prince who wakes up the (surprisingly still young) sleeping beauty, Briar Rose, and I simply loved the fact that they called her Briar Rose be ...more
Cristina
Tengo que decir que nunca antes había leído la historia original, tan sólo había visto la famosa adaptación de Disney. Me ha gustado ver muchas similitudes con ésta, como cuando todos los seres vivos del castillo se quedan dormidos, parte que me ha hecho gracia especialmente; también, el hecho que crezcan rosales alrededor del castillo.
Lo que me ha sorprendido es que en vez de ser tres hadas las que le regalan sus dones el día de su nacimiento ¡son trece! ¡Y la decimotercera es nada menos que
Aymee Knight
I did not enjoy reading this book very much. Honestly, it is probably because I grew up watching the Disney version of Sleeping Beauty. I did not think that this book was very appealing. The illustrations were dark and gloomy. However, they did look very traditional and rustic. I think that they fit the story really well. It was also interesting hearing this story in a little bit of a different perspective other than the Disney version. However, I like the Disney version better. I would suggest ...more
Morgan Renae
#2 on my 2nd picture book binge!! Last time, I made my way through the works of K.Y. Craft, which was a truly magical experience, and THIS time I am making my way through all the picture books that I've discovered via Pinterest (a treasure trove of fantasy illustrations, seriously). So, gather round fellow picture book enthusiasts!

Thoughts: oooh MUCH better storytelling than the Snow White one. And we get even MORE magnificent illustrations by Trina Schart Hyman! (how do you draw things so beaut
Ashley Bell
The book, The sleeping Beauty by Trina Schart Hyman, is beautifully illustrated children's books. It is about a a little princess, Briar Rose, who is to be born. Before she is even born though her parts the king and queen have a dinner party. They invite all the fairies to the party except for one who no one liked. Then after dinner all the fairies gave the princess a gift like wisdom or patience. Durring this the faire who was not invited strode in and cursed the princess. Because of the curse ...more
Michael DiPaolo
This version of the story seems to me that it is intended for an audience slightly older than young children. The illustrations are full-page, full-color, and gorgeous. A couple are a bit more graphic than I would expect in a children's book, but are not offensive.

This retelling is very, very similar to the original told my the Brothers Grimm, and the only changes made that i noted were for the purpose of further explanation or enhancing the imagery/character development.
Kristen
While visiting the library, this book was chosen by the four year old girl that I baby sit, for us to read together. The illustrations in this book are GORGEOUS - elaborate and detailed. Unfortunately, my inner-feminist did not feel that this story was good for my young friend. I know this story is based on the Grimm tale but I didn't like reading a story that involved a helpless princess who is constantly being described as beautiful (nothing more). Her existence is based on her attractive look ...more
Emily
A traditional retelling of the Sleeping Beauty tale, made amazing by the amount of detail in the artwork. As a lover of fairy tales, I was charmed by the beauty and detail that went into every page. Everything from the formatting of the text to beautiful scrolling details on the border, the attention to detail was apparent. I particularly appreciated the artwork on the page about all of the young men giving their lives in search of the fair maiden; it was effectively haunting. I can honestly say ...more
Kristen
Probably 3 or 4 stars for the story, since Sleeping Beauty is not one of my favorites. But Hyman's illustrations are worth 5 stars alone.
Nicole Clark
I didn't really like the way the illustrator portrayed the story of Sleeping Beauty. I thought that everything was way to dark. The pictures had a very dark color to them. From what I saw all the pictures were centered around the "death" of the princess. I felt very dark inside when I read the story.

Marianinna
One of my favourites
Malea Potter
The book was okay, but the illustrations are a little too mature for target audience of this story. They were kind of graphic. It's not one that I would read to my kids or have in my collection.
Mary Catelli
Our old friend, Sleeping Beauty, retold from the Brothers Grimm. Only lightly altered, and nothing that really changes the plot

What really makes this one, however, is Hyman's illustrations. Which are stunning. There's a running theme of an arched window, or something like it, in just about all of them. I also note the prince looks uncommonly mature for a fairy tale prince -- easy to believe he's bold enough.
babyhippoface
Trina Schart Hyman was one of the greatest illustrators of children's books we had. It's a shame she's gone. Her work here was beautiful. The text and the path of the story have a very old-fashioned feel (as opposed to some of the more "Disney-fied" stories) and Hyman's images are a perfect fit. (Although I will say that the prince looks way too old for a 15-year-old girl, fairytale princess or no.)
Katsumi
This is a very traditional telling of the Sleeping Beauty story, based on the fairy tale originally written down by the Brothers Grimm. There is no real innovation where the plot is concerned. What makes the book special is its beautiful illustrations. It is suitable either to be read aloud, or for the kids to read themselves. All in all, a beautiful telling of this classic story.
Cheryl
Intense, complex, enhanced, and elaborated. And absolutely lovely. If you've only one version on your shelf, I'd recommend this one. The only grief I have is that the princess is 15 and looks it, and the prince looks to be at least 25. Surely something can be done to make that old-fashioned tradition more palatable, or at least to explain it.
Kelly
Shopping for Christmas gifts I am very happy to have found this book, from my childhood. I have looked for it for a long time but finding the right edition was challenging. This book is haunting and has stayed with me since I was a small girl and first checked it out at the library with my mother. The tale is true to the original dark depiction.
Jenny Schramm
i really liked this book i think my favorite part of this book though, was the way that they illustrated it.
Cami
I love the illustrations here. They were rough and wonderful.
I enjoyed the re-telling as I didn't feel it was all Disney-fied.
Princes died, people experienced pain, kings ran out of silver plates and the last fairy doesn't take the full curse of Briar Rose, NOT because she isn't powerful enough, but because the king insulted one of her kind.
Jetzabel
Este cuento siempre me ha gustado.
Brenda
The original title of this book was "Brier Rose", but I think Sleeping Beauty is a nice title and explains a bit more then Brier Rose. I really enjoyed this short fairy tale, even though I thought everyone else going to sleep was a bit silly, I mean the curse was for Brier alone, so why was everyone else affected?
Volsung
Jul 13, 2009 Volsung added it
Shelves: picture-books
Another gem from Hyman's pen. There is wonderful imagery -- forest and mountain-horizon, clothing, castle interiors. The sleeping beauty and the thorn-encircled castle have never been illustrated better, and this particular take on Briar Rose stands out markedly (and pleasingly) against previous depictions.
Laura Bratisax
The reason I don't completely like this tale is the lack of question that the evil fairy is simply evil and that is all there is to know. It totally isn't. This story is unquestioning of monarchy's superiority or the superiority of Sleeping Beauty,etc.
But it's just a story... so I digress...
Emily
A terrifically impressive retelling of the classic fairy tale! Trina Schart Hyman's illustrations take you right into the story: they are lush and detailed, dark and frightening, just the way fairy tale illustrations should be. A real keeper!
Annie
Oh, man, is this a cool one. I've read a lot of sleeping beauty versions but this takes the cake. The lavish illustrations are so vivid and send the reader into the world of the sleeping castle. I think Hyman has illustrated other classics as well.
Lucy June Whitefords
Oh, the illustrations here are so gorgeous! Trina Schart Hyman has a gift for drawing medieval times. The pictures in this book come alive with gorgeous inky blues and greens and reds and violets. Also one of my favourite Faerie Tales.
Danielle
This book is so beautiful. I love the original telling of this story. My girls could not get enough of this one. It was also a great introduction to the ballet, as the stories are more in line than the Disney version.
louisa
Dec 29, 2010 louisa marked it as to-read
Trina Schart Hyman, what more do I need to say? Beautiful, evocative illustrations, loaded with detail, that add to the story. Features same figures you'll recognize from other TSH's works.
Diana Ferguson
I would put this with Zelinsky's Rapunzel as my two favorite marriages of art and text in fairy tale retellings. Both have such beautiful artwork and well done prose. Just about perfect.
  • Snow White
  • Cupid and Psyche
  • Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs: A Tale from the Brothers Grimm
  • The Fortune-Tellers
  • Snow White
Trina Schart Hyman (April 8, 1939 – November 19, 2004) was an American illustrator of children's books. She illustrated over 150 books, including fairy tales and Arthurian legends.

She won the 1985 Caldecott Medal for U.S. picture book illustration, recognizing Saint George and the Dragon, retold by Margaret Hodges.
More about Trina Schart Hyman...
Little Red Riding Hood Self Portrait, Trina Schart Hyman How Six Found Christmas A Little Alphabet Christmas Poems