Start by marking “Matthew's Dream” as Want to Read:
Matthew's Dream

Matthew's Dream

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Matthew the mouse lives in a dreary corner of a dusty attic. But a trip to the museum helps him to see his surroundings in a new way. With brush in paw, Matthew sets out to paint “the shapes and colors of joy.” A cleverly told and beautifully illustrated tale of self discovery from four-time Caldecott Honor winner Leo Lionni.
Published March 7th 1995 by Dragonfly Books (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Matthew's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matthew's Dream

Cheryl in CC NV
Lionni strikes again. Marvelous, thoughtful, inspiring books for families willing to slow down to appreciate life, art, joy, and friendship. Turn off the screens, don't try to read a whole stack of picture books in one day, let silence find you so you can let your dream approach, then heed Matthew's example and follow it.

(If you read my reviews, you know I don't always follow my own advice. But it's terrific books like this that remind me to do so at least sometimes. ;)
Christina Taylor
When Matthew’s class visits the local museum, he finds the answer to that age-old question: “What do you want to be when you grown up?” Having found his muse, the protagonist sees his world through the eyes of an artist from that moment on. Lionni’s delightful mixed media collages envision mouse-centric works of art that mimic icons of fine art. Matthew’s Dream can be used to introduce students to the beauty of portraits, landscapes, still lifes, impressionism, and cubism as well as the works of...more
Megan Sutherland
A book children could read about how it takes hard work and determination to reach a goal.
J.J.
My daughters favorite book right now...good for any aspiring artists.
Renise Black
Truly one of my all time favorite books to read...even by myself!!
Mario
I really enjoyed this book because it is about an average mouse that lives in the attic and his dreams of being a famous artist and having his paintings hung in a museum. When he wakes up from his dream he decides to make his dream a reality and begins to paint. This could be an inspirational read for children. They sometimes believe they cannot do something or that they want to do it but feel they are not good enough to try. Children need inspirational stories to break down those "I can't do it...more
Tasneem  Zafer
Lil Matthew the mouse did not know what he's going to be in the future. He visits the museum with his friends and gazes at the paintings. He sees beautiful Nicolette and finally decides he wants to become a painter and marry beautiful Nicolette. He looks at the gray dreariness of his Attic corner from another perspective and works hard on his paintings and becomes famous and eventually marries Nicolette.

Beautifully illustrated with collage.
The font size is a bit small it kinda hurts the eyes!
M
I may have gotten this when it was new but I just discovered it again unpacking boxes from home. A nice story about a poor mouse who wants to travel the world then goes to a museum and has a zany dream about modern art. After the dream he decides to become a famous painter and sells his artwork to other mice. I think my Aunt and Uncle acquired the book for me since my name was in the title. The Joys of having a common Christian name.
Ashley
Sep 06, 2008 Ashley added it
The book Matthew's Dream is about a little mouse who is very poor and his parents want him to be a doctor. Instead Matthew dreams of being a great artist and in the end "he did." The artwork in this book is outstanding and would be a great book for PK-3rd grade on teaching chidlren it is okay to dream and aim to reach their dreams in what they want to be.
Heather Ligman
this book lends itself well to open a discussion about what we want to do with our lives. it is a great book to have a written dialogue with a child. I think children will enjoy this book but I rated it a 3 because I've seen better books in these areas and was not overly impressed with this book in particular.
Snorkle
I think my favorite part of this book was all the mice artwork. The story was pretty simple, but still fairly enjoyable. I would recommend if you were already a fan of Leo Lionni.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Lesley
This is a very cute story! You just wouldn't expect a mouse who lives in an attic to visit a museum, much less be so attracted to it that he becomes an artist! Love it! :) The collage illustrations in this book are fun, and the use of color adds to richness of this children's book.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
A little mouse dreams of seeing the world and finds the world opens up to him after a school trip to a museum. Inspired by the ability of art to showcase the world and convey a world view, our little mouse finds his calling to become an artist and fulfill his dream.
Sophia Martin
Matthew's Dream is a story about a mouse who seeks to find out his dream--what he should be. His parents are giving him ideas of what he should be, but Matthew wants to find out for himself. And after a trip to the museum, abd runnign into a girl, he quickly knew.
Jackie
If you can dream it, believe in it and yourself, you can do whatever it is you want to do. Matthew's Dream is a picture book full of an artist's dream, making colors come alive, for all to see.
Emkoshka
A Christmas present from 1992. I must've expressed some artistic desire or ability because it's about a mouse who goes to an art gallery and decides to become an artist. Cute and colourful collage and acrylics make for a nice read.
Melissa Housholder
Matthew has to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up. Once he decides he doesn't let anything stand in his way. Good book for teaching about holding onto your dreams. Colorful simple illustrations, good story.
Kirstin Kemppainen
Matthew went to a museum and fell in love with artwork. He had a big dream to become a painter. He worked hard and his dream came true! Loved this book and the illustrations, Leo Lionni is always a great choice.
Rachael
A great book for the beginning of the school year. What are your hopes and dreams? What do you see yourself doing someday?
Matthew did not have a lot but he did have a big dream and guess what! He did it!
Zivile
Very beautifully artful book. A real inspiration for children to create a bold art. And it is a very useful tool for art educators and teachers to introduce children to the museum conception.
Sharonta Johnson
This a great book to introduce how life experiences inspire our goals and ambitions. You could use this book in the classroom when talking about careers.
Beth
Matthew finds his calling as an artist and Nicoletta, who becomes his wife. His paintings become sought after all around the world.
Amy
Reading Rainbow: Regina's Big Mistake

I love his little mice - but the story was just OK for us.
Ruthie
possibly my favorite lionni
even thought there is a slight jump in the story its very touching
Farrin
I love the illustrations. A wonderful book about art and fostering imagination.
Lindsay
mice, day dreaming, careers (what do you want to be when you grow up?), art/artists

Henry
Love this book. Also on the plus side, it was dedicated to my sister.
Magda
"I am Nicoletta," she said. "Aren't these paintings wonderful?"
Kirei
A mouse goes to a museum and decides to become an artist.
R. C.
Heavy themes for picture book listeners.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Feathers for Lunch
  • On Market Street
  • Voices in the Park
  • The Nose Book
  • Good-Night, Owl!
FROM PUBLISHER:
Leo Lionni wrote and illustrated more than 40 highly acclaimed children's books. He received the 1984 American Institute of Graphic Arts Gold Medal and was a four-time Caldecott Honor Winner--for Inch by Inch, Frederick, Swimmy, and Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse. Leo Lionni died in October of 1999 at his home in Tuscany, Italy, at the age of 89.

Leo Lionni has gained international...more