Start by marking “Legends II: Shadows, Gods and Demons” as Want to Read:
Legends II: Shadows, Gods and Demons

Legends II: Shadows, Gods and Demons (Legends II part 1/2 (split a))

Stories by Robin Hobb, George R.R. Martin, Orson Scott Card, Diane Gabaldon, Robert Silverberg, Tad Williams, Anne McCaffrey, Raymond E. Feist, Elizabeth Haydon, Neil Gaiman, and Terry Brooks.
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Legends II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legends II

Marko
Apr 06, 2015 Marko rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f
This part of the Legends II anthology is definitely superior to the somewhat dissapointing companion volume. Just a very short list of impressions:
Hobb - the first thing I've read of this author, and I will definitely be returning to her work. I very much enjoyed the story.
Silverberg - I'm a sucker for stories about art it seems, and so I liked this one too very much.
Williams - not having read any other Otherworld stories, I found the premise interesting and the story itself quite good.
McCaffrey
Trey
Jan 03, 2008 Trey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually 2 books (this site treats them as one). The books are divided by theme. One (purple)is darker with ghosts, paranormal, and other fantasy elements. The second (gold) is a little more traditional fantasy with kings, dragons, magic, and warfare.

Similar to first Legends book, but not all the authors are as well known. I think I enjoyed the purple covered book better personally, but I enjoyed them both.
Wm
It's hard to know how to rate a collection like this. Do you go buy the best one of the lot? Or the average score?

The novellas in this book take place in the best-known worlds of each of the authors. I think that how you feel about those worlds as well as how familiar you are with them will have an impact on how much you enjoy their contributions to the collection.

I'm familiar with the works of Hobb, Williams, McCaffrey and Gaiman.

Of these contributions, Hobb's was amazing. First rate. Haunting,
Connie
Realm of the Elderlings: Homecoming by Robin Hobb
Majipoor: The Book of Changes by Robert Silverberg
Otherland: The Happiest Dead Boy in the World by Tad Williamns
Pern: Beyond Between by Anne McCaffrey
The Riftwar: The Messenger by Raymond E. Feist
American Gods: The Monarch of the Glen by Neil Gaiman

This book's subtitle is New Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy. In fact, all of them are new segments of existing series that these authors have written. If you have read the other stories in
Robert
Mar 23, 2011 Robert marked it as to-read
Right now I am only reading the Tad Williams story since I recently finished the Otherland series.

If you have not read the Otherland series, I recommend it. It was wonderful and engaging. There characters seem so lifelike. The short story The Happiest Dead Boy in the World was just average though. It begins three years after the events of Sea of Silver Light and describes things are are happening to the network that one of the characters is in. Though the story gives the reader an interesting as
Mary
Jan 10, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading the anthology partly to try new to me fantasy authors.

Finished: Neil Gaiman's The Monarch of the Glen. It's typical Gaiman. Do I want to read American Gods? Maybe.

Robin Hobb's The Homecoming. Really good! a self contained novella, it works, even though I know nothing of the author's world. I will look for more.

Robert Silverberg's Majipoor The Book of Changes. Pretty good, Majipoor seems like an interesting enough place. Unfortunately, this novella reads like a thinly disguised ad fo
Suz
Jul 10, 2011 Suz rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, anthology
I read this book for Robin Hobb's short story, and I absolutely adored it. I also very much enjoyed Gaiman's contribution (Monarch of the Glen), but I am not as familiar with other authors in the book and their stories were OK, but without the background of their previous writings, I wasn't as sucked into the stories.
Justin
Dec 17, 2013 Justin rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the beginning of the first story and the whole of the last story however everything in the middle I didn't find too interesting. I know that they're short stories but really given that they had 50-80 pages for each story, it was surprising just how little happened.
Debbie
Oct 03, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it
There was only one story that I wanted to read in this book. The story was very good. It is by Anne McCaffrey. It is called "Beyond Between".
Dawn
Jul 05, 2014 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Actually more of a 2.5, but since Goodreads refuses to add a half-star option, I thought I would round down this time as I did not enjoy this quite as much as I did the other book I just finished.
Daniel
Nov 28, 2009 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the stories were great, I especially liked the ones by Robert Silverberg, and Tad Williams. Again all the stories were well told.
DDog
Great new stories from great authors in great worlds. I had to save the Neil Gaiman story until after I'd read American Gods.
Craig
Apr 25, 2016 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Half the stories are 4* plus and half are about 3*. The good stories are very good. It was worth the time spent.
Raina
Raina rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2010
Joe Larsen
Joe Larsen rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Sava
Sava rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
May 06, 2007
Colin
Colin rated it it was ok
Oct 31, 2007
Peter C
Peter C rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2009
Allison Brown
Allison Brown rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2011
Delphine Sama
Delphine Sama rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2013
Eric
Eric rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2014
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2008
TLmyLXhd
TLmyLXhd rated it did not like it
Aug 31, 2013
Hilary
Hilary rated it liked it
May 18, 2010
Nick
Nick rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2009
Guðjón Torfi
Guðjón Torfi rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Veronica Sloane
Veronica Sloane rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2013
  • DAW 30th Anniversary Fantasy
  • Modern Classics of Fantasy
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Speaking in Tongues
  • Children of the Lion: Cheysuli Omnibus 3 (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #5-6)
  • Baba Yaga's Daughter & Other Tales of the Old Races
  • The Mammoth Book of New Terror
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...

Legends (2 books)