Start by marking “Tico and the Golden Wings” as Want to Read:
Tico and the Golden Wings

Tico and the Golden Wings

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Tico, a little bird born without wings, is one day granted his dearest wish. But the wings he gets are made of gold and his bird friends turn against him. “You think you are better than we are,” they say. What Tico does with his golden feathers—and the important lesson he learns—is a fable that children will take to their hearts.
Published November 14th 2000 by Dragonfly Books (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Tico and the Golden Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tico and the Golden Wings

Erica
This story is about a wingless bird whose friends have to care for him because he can't fend for himself. What nice friends!
Or are they?
When Tico's dreams come true in the form of a lovely pair of golden wings, Tico's friends reveal themselves for who they really are: Jerks. Now that he doesn't depend on them, now that his wings are shiny and beautiful, now that he has found happiness in flight, the friends decide Tico is uppity and feels superior to them, despite him having neither said nor imp
Sara Larson
Genre: Modern fantasy
Age: 4 and up
Summary: Tico is a bird who is born with no wings. His friends take care of him, and bring him food. One day, a wishing bird tells Tico that he has one wish. Tico chooses a pair of golden wings. Instantly the golden wings appear, and Tico begins to fly. Tico's friends are upset when they see his fancy golden wings, they think he is showing off. Tico's friends leave him all alone. he begins to fly around meeting people. He discovers that his feathers are magic, a
Cheryl
Another lovely mystical fable from Lionni. I'm sure there's some great cultural resonance, some traditional tale or parable that's being reflected - but I don't recognize it. However, it's a nice story of compassion, forgiveness, and loyalty if taken at face value, too. Even more in need of compassion than the humans is Tico before he got his wings. And in need of compassion and forgiveness are Tico's friends for snubbing him when he got his golden wings.

In fact, I was going to give the book th
Cori
This is a story about a bird named Tico and his special golden wings. At first, Tico didn't have wings to fly away with his friends and explore the world. When he wished for wings, he was granted with golden wings. Due to his different wings, his friends alienated Tico, making him sad. This led to Tico going on a trip around the world, helping others in need by giving them one of his feathers. Every time Tico gave away a feather, a new black feather grew back. Slowly, he started losing his golde ...more
Katrina Joyner
When I was a small child, this book was in my elementary school library. I checked it out every week. Through it I learned the art of sharing, which wasn't hard for me. I've always been someone who enjoys sharing. So I guess I simply related to Tico and his big heart.

Years later after finally rediscovering the name of the book I went through a lot of trouble to get a copy of the same edition as the one I loved. There's even a childhood reading ritual that goes with it! =^-^= I'll teach it to you
Kixie
Kell*
Nov 21, 2007 Kell* rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: k-2
Shelves: picture-book
Tico is a unique bird among his flock, he has wings that are made of gold, however he wants to be like everyone else. Throughout Tico's journey, he encounters others in need, so he generously offers them one of his wings made of gold. As he gives his feathers away, soft dark feathers grow in place.
I like this story because it shows how uniqueness is valuable. It shares the importance of sharing, and growing into a strong individual.
Ruth
I know that this author is very well known in the children's book arena, but it is only recently that I have been paying attention to his work. I guess I am slow in catching up. This like tale like his "Six Crows" fable (another one that I truly love) is well written with a didactic message through out. Within this story the message is: "We are all different, perhaps on the outside, but most assuredly in the inside".
Snorkle
This was an interesting book. I saw the point that author was making, but I didn't feel like it was really applicable to the whole story. I was also really annoyed with the little bird's friends. The illustrations were okay. I would only recommend if you were an avid Leo Lionni fan.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Gail Barge
This is a great book to talk about folk-tales and the lessons they hold. A wonderful story to discuss unique qualities of individuals and how to share your uniqueness with the world, just like Tico does with his golden feathers. The illustrations were very beautiful and this book reminds me of many other folk-tales I have read before. It could be included in a genre study.
Anne Beier
A wingless bird wishes for wings and receives golden ones. His friends think he thinks he's better than them and snub him. He doesn't feel that way, and ends up giving away all his golden feathers to those in need. When he looks like the other birds, they accept him back. Inside he is a very different bird who has experienced a journey of compassion and helping those in need.
Kirei
Is this the companion book to "The Rainbow Fish" or what? The story is very similar. This one is a little better because he gives his wings to needy people, not the animals who are teasing him. Plus, the author makes a point that it is okay to be different. Still.........Tico does end up befriending the birds who ostracized him, minus his golden wings.
Anna
This is such a sweet story! Tico doesn't have any wings so he can't fly like the other birds but one day he has a dream and gets golden wings. When his friends abandon him because he is different he travels the land giving away his golden feathers to help others. I totally almost cried, great book. Nice illustrations too, simple and lovely.
Asha Smith
Tico is a bird who cant fly. One day he makes a wish to have golden wings. But then his friends get upset with him because they think he wants to be different. In the end his friends accept him for who he is. This is a great story of friendship and accepting others even though they are different. This is a great story for class bullies.
J-Lynn
A fable about a bird born without wings who gets his wish for golden wings, but then his brothers won't talk to him. One by one, the bird gives away his golden wings to people in need. When he gives away the last one, he gets to live with his brothers happy that he got to help others.

The watercolors are geometrical and simple.
Victoria
Powder color ground in water and mixed with an albuminous, gelatinous or colloidal medium. A story of a wingless bird who wished for golden wings. When granted his wish, he was shunned by his friends. As he gave his wings to those in need, his feathers grew in black. Once again, he was welcomed by his friends.
Alana Graham
I loved this story! Tico is a compassionate bird that yearns to fly with his friends. This is a great story to teach students to empathize with the misfortune of others. It also illustrates the priceless worth of friendship.
Emma
This was a great book. The illustrations were very cool and I even enjoyed the story. It provides a great lesson on how you gain so much more by giving and serving one another than by keeping you talents and time all to yourself.
Martha
Another children's book that I missed in the 80's. Sweet tale of friendship, selflessness, and realization of everyone's differences among the similarities.
lily
It was amazing because a little bird didn't have any wings and he wished for golden wings, and then gave his feathers to people, and then he had black wings.
Magila
2.5

I am a big Lionni fan, but this one wasn't that fantastic to me. I loved the message of giving, but found the message of belonging a bit two-sided.
Alia
Beautiful illustrations. The story is sweet though I suspect it might appeal more to the adults than the kids.
Ellen
I bought this book at a yard sale for 5 cents. What a steal... Fabulous book!
Jill
Joy loved this one so much she demanded I read it again, immediately.
Nojood Alsudairi
تلمس موضوع الغيرة والحسد والكبر في الوقت ذاته
أحببت معالجة الموضوع جدا
Magda
I don't know how it happened, but when I was young I had no wings.
Janderson
A great story about being different and the gift of giving.
Aneesa
I think this has the same plot as The Rainbow Fish.
Gail
Now here's a nice story about generosity.
  • The Paper Crane
  • Neville
  • Three by the Sea
  • Monkey: A Trickster Tale from India
  • The Dog Who Belonged to No One
  • Randy Riley's Really Big Hit
  • Leap Back Home to Me
  • Kiss Kiss! (Mini Edition)
  • Isabella: Girl on the Go
  • A Few Blocks
  • A Kitten Tale
  • Thanking the Moon: Celebrating the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival
FROM PUBLISHER:
Leo Lionni wrote and illustrated more than 40 highly acclaimed children's books. He received the 1984 American Institute of Graphic Arts Gold Medal and was a four-time Caldecott Honor Winner--for Inch by Inch, Frederick, Swimmy, and Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse. Leo Lionni died in October of 1999 at his home in Tuscany, Italy, at the age of 89.

Leo Lionni has gained international
More about Leo Lionni...
A Color of His Own Swimmy Frédéric Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse Inch by Inch

“Now my wings are black, I thought, and yet I am not like my friends. We are all different. Each for his own memories, and his own invisible golden dreams.” 8 likes