Start by marking “Nicolas, Where Have You Been?” as Want to Read:
Nicolas, Where Have You Been?

Nicolas, Where Have You Been?

When the young mouse Nicolas sets out across the great meadow alone in search of ripe red berries, he is grabbed up by the claws of a huge bird and carried high into the sky. But that is only the beginning of Nicolas's adventure. How he gets the berries he was hoping to find, and learns to trust the very creatures he thought were his enemies, makes this Leo Lionni fable on ...more
Published June 12th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Nicolas, Where Have You Been?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nicolas, Where Have You Been?

Kiah Ballard
Jul 12, 2015 Kiah Ballard rated it liked it
This book is a good example for children that there is good in everyone even if they've done some not so nice things in the past. I would use this book to help children talk about their feelings and their friendship with their friends. We would talk about how even though friends can sometimes hurt each others feelings, friends can still care about one another and treat one another nicely.
Xinwen Xu
Apr 22, 2016 Xinwen Xu rated it it was amazing
This book is from my favorite author Leo Lionni. The book tells reader a very warm story. Some field mice want to eat the sweetest and juiciest berries, but the birds got these berries before them. Nicolas decided to look for a berry patch that the birds have not yet discovered. It meet a big, ugly bird, and the bird grabbed him with its sharp claws and carried him up into the sky. Nicolas landed in a nest and he know there little birds, they become good friends. their mother bird give the ripe ...more
بهمن بهمن
Jun 13, 2007 بهمن بهمن rated it it was ok
mikhain bekhandin maile khoodetoone,vali man asheghe ketab ghesseye bacheham;)
Christina Taylor
Aug 02, 2012 Christina Taylor rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
After being abducted by a large bird, Nicholas Mouse begins an adventure in which he experiences first hand Uncle Raymond’s words of wisdom: “one bad bird doesn't make a flock.” Lionni’s modern fable is an excellent tool for teaching Jane Schaeffer’s techniques for writing literary analysis. The story’s moral can serve as a stated thesis that students must support with textual evidence, explaining concrete details gleaned from Lionni’s colorful mixed media collages that have been bolstered by th ...more
Jul 18, 2016 Rani rated it really liked it
When Nicolas is picked up by a big bird, where does he land?
Jul 22, 2014 Maia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A favorite author in our house.
Nov 30, 2009 Meg rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My favorite part of this book--as with all of Lionni's works--the illustrations. Nicolas is a young mouse who wants to eat berries and blames the birds when he can't find any red, ripe, delicious berries. His tune changes when a nice family of birds takes care of him, bringing him red berries everyday and caring for him as one of their family. It holds an important lesson about judging or loving others. This book is better for at least a three-year-old.
Kellee Erin
Jun 11, 2016 Kellee Erin rated it did not like it
The mouse stabbing a bird with blood was enough for me. Are you serious Leo Lionni?
May 17, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
This is a cute little book with a good message. I liked the attitude of little Nicolas and wondered where the story would take him. I'm glad this book had a happy ending. I would recommend, especially to people who are fans of mice.

*Taken from my book reviews blog:
Jun 17, 2010 Antoinette rated it liked it
Overall this book was pretty standard Lionni fare, but I was taken aback at the two-page spread illustration of an imagined battle between mice and birds, including some bloody and very dead animals. And I'm not easily shocked. Other than that, it's Lionni's usual message about making nice with all of God's creatures and with the earth.
Apr 29, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
Nicolas was consorting with the enemy whom all the other mice wanted to stab with sticks. Then they all became friends in the end. It was an ok book for me.
Oct 22, 2012 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Good message of not judging everything in a category by a single encounter but the book contains some strong angry imagery.
Tina Bartholoma
mice, birds, jumping to conclusions
Oct 04, 2008 Magda rated it it was ok
'One bad bird doesn't make a flock.'
Feb 15, 2009 Lori rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Older chilidren, not toddlers
Shelves: childrens
"One bad bird doesn't make a flock."
Kaelea added it
Oct 19, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Kit Feral
Kit Feral rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Sarah Kuhlman
Sarah Kuhlman rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Liam Fountain
Liam Fountain marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Melaine marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Capri added it
Jun 08, 2016
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
A's  Books
A's Books marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Justin Lee
Justin Lee rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Leo Lionni wrote and illustrated more than 40 highly acclaimed children's books. He received the 1984 American Institute of Graphic Arts Gold Medal and was a four-time Caldecott Honor Winner--for Inch by Inch, Frederick, Swimmy, and Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse. Leo Lionni died in October of 1999 at his home in Tuscany, Italy, at the age of 89.

Leo Lionni has gained international renown for his
More about Leo Lionni...