Nicolas, Where Have You Been?

Nicolas, Where Have You Been?

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  11 reviews
When the young mouse Nicolas sets out across the great meadow alone in search of ripe red berries, he is grabbed up by the claws of a huge bird and carried high into the sky. But that is only the beginning of Nicolas's adventure. How he gets the berries he was hoping to find, and learns to trust the very creatures he thought were his enemies, makes this Leo Lionni fable on...more
Published June 12th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Nicolas, Where Have You Been?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nicolas, Where Have You Been?

Christina Taylor
After being abducted by a large bird, Nicholas Mouse begins an adventure in which he experiences first hand Uncle Raymond’s words of wisdom: “one bad bird doesn't make a flock.” Lionni’s modern fable is an excellent tool for teaching Jane Schaeffer’s techniques for writing literary analysis. The story’s moral can serve as a stated thesis that students must support with textual evidence, explaining concrete details gleaned from Lionni’s colorful mixed media collages that have been bolstered by th...more
Maia
A favorite author in our house.
Meg
My favorite part of this book--as with all of Lionni's works--the illustrations. Nicolas is a young mouse who wants to eat berries and blames the birds when he can't find any red, ripe, delicious berries. His tune changes when a nice family of birds takes care of him, bringing him red berries everyday and caring for him as one of their family. It holds an important lesson about judging or loving others. This book is better for at least a three-year-old.
Snorkle
This is a cute little book with a good message. I liked the attitude of little Nicolas and wondered where the story would take him. I'm glad this book had a happy ending. I would recommend, especially to people who are fans of mice.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Antoinette
Overall this book was pretty standard Lionni fare, but I was taken aback at the two-page spread illustration of an imagined battle between mice and birds, including some bloody and very dead animals. And I'm not easily shocked. Other than that, it's Lionni's usual message about making nice with all of God's creatures and with the earth.
Rebecca
Nicolas was consorting with the enemy whom all the other mice wanted to stab with sticks. Then they all became friends in the end. It was an ok book for me.
Donna
Good message of not judging everything in a category by a single encounter but the book contains some strong angry imagery.
بهمن بهمن
mikhain bekhandin maile khoodetoone,vali man asheghe ketab ghesseye bacheham;)
Tina
mice, birds, jumping to conclusions
Magda
'One bad bird doesn't make a flock.'
Lori
Feb 15, 2009 Lori rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Older chilidren, not toddlers
Shelves: childrens
"One bad bird doesn't make a flock."
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Andrei
Andrei marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Ahmed Zaid
Ahmed Zaid marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Mab
Mab added it
Jun 18, 2014
Nancy
Nancy added it
May 26, 2014
Becca'sChild
Becca'sChild marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Noble Tan
Noble Tan marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Kathy
Kathy added it
Feb 03, 2014
Mandy
Mandy added it
Feb 01, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
FROM PUBLISHER:
Leo Lionni wrote and illustrated more than 40 highly acclaimed children's books. He received the 1984 American Institute of Graphic Arts Gold Medal and was a four-time Caldecott Honor Winner--for Inch by Inch, Frederick, Swimmy, and Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse. Leo Lionni died in October of 1999 at his home in Tuscany, Italy, at the age of 89.

Leo Lionni has gained international...more