Start by marking “The Measure of Our Days: A Spiritual Exploration of Illness” as Want to Read:
The Measure of Our Days: A Spiritual Exploration of Illness

The Measure of Our Days: A Spiritual Exploration of Illness

With The Measure of Our Days, Dr. Jerome Groopman established himself as an eloquent new voice in the literature of medicine. In these eight moving portraits, he offers us a compelling look at what is to be learned when life itself can no longer be taken for granted.

These stories are diverse--from Kirk, an aggressive venture capitalist determined to play the odds with con
Published October 1st 1998 by Penguin Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Measure of Our Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Measure of Our Days

The Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniThe Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver SacksThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovOf Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham
Books Written by Physicians
110th out of 155 books — 55 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankCatch-22 by Joseph HellerThe Complete Stories by Franz KafkaThe Chosen by Chaim PotokNight by Elie Wiesel
The Best of Jewish Authors
438th out of 475 books — 132 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda Lipko
Feb 23, 2012 Linda Lipko rated it it was amazing
Heavy, densely emotional, soul searching, heart wrenching, spiritual and hopeful are but some of the words I use to describe this book containing complicated medical terminology and eight cases of cancer patients who faced death. Groopman powerfully describes both his spiritual insights and his patient's journey with serious illness.

It took longer than usual for me to read this because I wanted to do justice to each story.

A frequent contributor to The New Yorker, this prolific writer also has a
Ron
Apr 09, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a fine book, a thought-provoking and informative portrayal of a Harvard physician working to save the lives of patients with blood diseases and cancer. However, its title is somewhat misleading. Groopman is first and last a scientist, and there is little that is "spiritual" or inspirational about his point of view. When he speaks of miracles, it is the advances of medicine in the laboratory he is talking about.

Each chapter in the book is devoted to a particular patient, and what Groopman
Kaethe
Jul 14, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, medicine
If people are able to find something meaningful in being sick then I don't begrudge them that. I just find the endless uniting of health and spirituality as unhelpful for most, who are going to end up feeling that they weren't just unlucky, but that there is something fundamentally wrong with them. Honestly, it's this kind of thing that makes me think doctors are way to credulous.
Maria
Jun 07, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing
This book could not have come at a better time with my dad's terminal illness! I cannot recommend this book highly enough for everyone to read. This doctor writes in layman's terms what goes on in the body when we are suffering with certain types of illnesses through patients' stories but at the same time offers up inspiration. I loved the 9 different cases and how people dealt with their illnesses. You come out of the reading with the attitude of, "Live each day as if it were your last"...becau ...more
Carol Catinari
Dec 18, 2011 Carol Catinari rated it really liked it
A very interesting book to read. Dr. Groopman addresses the medical issues of the patients of his specialties, cancer and Aids...but also the human and emotional needs of his patients. Each story told delves into what the patient goes through from diagnosis to treatment and often to death. These stories show us what those patients learn...and also the growth experienced by this caring doctor.
Susan Rothenberg
Oct 06, 2011 Susan Rothenberg rated it it was amazing
We should all have a doctor like Jerome Groopman - not be sick enough to need him, but to have a doctor who cares and communicates that caring. This book has the stories of patients who are dealing with end of life concerns and issues. It is both moving and enlightening, as are all of his books. Reread in September 2011 prior to hearing him speak.
Ellen Snyder
Jun 12, 2012 Ellen Snyder rated it it was amazing
Just reread this book, and I still find the stories fascinating and well-written. Dr. Groopman is a concienctious doctor who grapples with questions of life and death in his practice of blood diseases (mostly AIDS) and oncology. He recounts how various people react when facing a critical diagnosis.
Scarlet Drakonin
Mar 16, 2011 Scarlet Drakonin rated it really liked it
I don't have the exact read start and finish dates on many books I have read this year. The dates are approximated, as I have been in & out of the hospital, and on bed rest, and read 2-5 books a day depending on the book & length and my ability to focus. All dates are approximated, by month.
Karl W.
Feb 01, 2011 Karl W. rated it it was amazing
A truly inspiring book. Dr. Groopman writes insightfully about the relationships between doctor and patient, doctor and illness, patient and illness, medicine in the particular and medicine in the general, with an eye toward the spiritual dimensions that these relationships reveal.
Hom Sack
Jul 24, 2012 Hom Sack rated it it was amazing
A sensitive treatment of doctor patient relationships in regards to mostly fatal end of life issues. This along with a measure of wisdom. Highly recommended.
Yak
Oct 10, 2012 Yak rated it really liked it
Groopman is an excellent writer -- informative and compassionate, and he does a great job sketching his patients' lives and deaths.
Christine
Oct 20, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Pat Ferro
"New beginnings at life's end" is a perfect description of this book. It's inspiring, intriguing, and touching.
Leilani
Excellent collection of stories of people who have dealt with their mortality in vastly different ways.
Elaine
Apr 01, 2008 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Encouraging stories of how people have made meaning from serious illness.
Nancy
Jan 03, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it
Does a good job weaving the science with a personal and spiritual commentary on illness and death. A compassionate physician who "gets" that his patients bring as much to his life as he does to theirs.
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Emily Chandler
Emily Chandler marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Caitlin Devos
Caitlin Devos marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Mary Birman
Mary Birman marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Nada Nada
Nada Nada marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Denise Chasse
Denise Chasse marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Sefen
Sefen rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Prashanth Jnanendra
Prashanth Jnanendra marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Naphty
Naphty added it
Jul 31, 2016
Connie Garry
Connie Garry rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
  • Singular Intimacies: Becoming a Doctor at Bellevue
  • Body Brokers: Inside America's Underground Trade in Human Remains
  • At the End of Life: True Stories About How We Die
  • Coffee Life in Japan
  • The Episcopal Handbook
  • The First Year: Fibromyalgia: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed
  • Ambiguous Loss: Learning to Live with Unresolved Grief
  • Way Below the Angels: The Pretty Clearly Troubled But Not Even Close to Tragic Confessions of a Real Live Mormon Missionary
  • Letters to a Young Doctor