Stone by Stone: The Magnificent History in New England's Stone Walls

Stone by Stone: The Magnificent History in New England's Stone Walls

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  10 reviews
There once may have been 250,000 miles of stone walls in America�s Northeast, stretching farther than the distance to the moon. They took three billion man-hours to build. And even though most are crumbling today, they contain a magnificent scientific and cultural story�about the geothermal forces that formed their stones, the tectonic movements that brought them to t
Published March 1st 2004 by Walker & Company (first published August 2002)

Linda
Robert M. Thorson is a geologist, and he truly loves stone. His deep regard for the substance shines through in Stone by Stone. Anyone who's been to rural New England is familiar with the scene - low, tumbled, gray walls snaking through just about any "undeveloped" patch of woods. While it's true that these structures were "built" by farmers, it was surprising to learn that the walls aren't all that ancient. Contrary to popular belief, the soils of New England were not stony and inhospitable whe...more
Nancy Van Iderstine
Yes, it's a book about rocks. And yes, it's really interesting!

When you think about New England, one of the images that probably comes to mind is the ubiquitous stone wall. Many of the stone walls there were erected decades, and in some cases, a couple of centuries, ago. You may notice that they don't seem tall enough to contain animals, so you assume they're there as a statement to neighbors: This is my property.

But that's not the real story behind stone walls and all of New England's rocks,...more
Jason Williams
The author is exceptionally knowledgeable and passionate about the topic of the book.

He answers many questions that came to mind when I drove through rural Maine, New Hampshire and

Vermont in the fall of 2012. Why one field was covered with small stones and the one next to it appeared to have no rocks present with cattle grazing on it.

Thorson's explanations of the size of the fields versus the optimum distance of carrying rocks, and the amount of calories required to perform the work shows the d...more
Sandy123
I found this book to be well written and very easy to understand. I enjoyed learning about how and why the beautiful rock walls were created in New England. I also learned (remembered) much about the geological make-up of the north east. After reading this book, I have a deeper understanding and appreciation the rock walls I find while walking through the woods or driving down the small country roads of New Hampshire.
Cheryl
I love the stone walls that meander throughout New England and the Mid-Atlantic area and, just as I love stumbling upon an old wall during a weekend hike, I love stumbling upon a little treasure of a book when digging around in a bookstore. This one sits on the "keeper" shelf readily available to re-read.
Suzanne
I really enjoy learning/reading facts such as this..an easy to read history of New England's topical creation by glaciers, the resulting rocks, why rocks are here, and why fields seem to grow rocks.
Karen
Jan 26, 2008 Karen marked it as to-read
His first book. It has a lot of geology -- a LOT of geology -- but it ridiculously thorough. You can tell he is passionate about his subject, to say the least.
Bonnie
Fascinating to learn about the geological and pragmatic reasons why there are so many stone walls in New England.
Elisabeth
perfect for the new englander or Frost lover. Everything you'd want to know about our wonderful, rolling stone walls.
Hartley
Great reference list
Janessa
Janessa marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Mumbler
Mumbler marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Craig Swanson
Craig Swanson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Evan Turiano
Evan Turiano marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Sam Eames
Sam Eames marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Jul 17, 2014
Mark Franklin
Mark Franklin marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
George Masumian
George Masumian marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Karin Feeney-Cass
Karin Feeney-Cass marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Exploring Stone Walls: A Field Guide to New England's Stone Walls Beyond Walden: The Hidden History of America's Kettle Lakes and Ponds Walden's Shore: Henry David Thoreau and Nineteenth-Century Science Interior Alaska: A Journey Through Time Stone Wall Secrets