Start by marking “Stone by Stone: The Magnificent History in New England's Stone Walls” as Want to Read:
Stone by Stone: The Magnificent History in New England's Stone Walls

Stone by Stone: The Magnificent History in New England's Stone Walls

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  13 reviews
There once may have been 250,000 miles of stone walls in America's Northeast, stretching farther than the distance to the moon. They took three billion man-hours to build. And even though most are crumbling today, they contain a magnificent scientific and cultural story—about the geothermal forces that formed their stones, the tectonic movements that brought them to the su ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Walker Books (first published August 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Stone by Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone by Stone

Robert M. Thorson is a geologist, and he truly loves stone. His deep regard for the substance shines through in Stone by Stone. Anyone who's been to rural New England is familiar with the scene - low, tumbled, gray walls snaking through just about any "undeveloped" patch of woods. While it's true that these structures were "built" by farmers, it was surprising to learn that the walls aren't all that ancient. Contrary to popular belief, the soils of New England were not stony and inhospitable whe ...more
Eli Mandel
This book builds the history of stone walls in New England slowly and carefully.
Starting with the formation of Earth billions of years ago, through the last ice age, into the time of the Pilgrims who first encountered the stones, then to the next generation who moved into privately owned farms on hillsides and had to deforest the land in order to farm it. How and why people built stone walls, why they were eventually abandoned, what effect the walls had on the people building them and what effe
Nancy Van Iderstine
Yes, it's a book about rocks. And yes, it's really interesting!

When you think about New England, one of the images that probably comes to mind is the ubiquitous stone wall. Many of the stone walls there were erected decades, and in some cases, a couple of centuries, ago. You may notice that they don't seem tall enough to contain animals, so you assume they're there as a statement to neighbors: This is my property.

But that's not the real story behind stone walls and all of New England's rocks,
Jason Williams
The author is exceptionally knowledgeable and passionate about the topic of the book.

He answers many questions that came to mind when I drove through rural Maine, New Hampshire and

Vermont in the fall of 2012. Why one field was covered with small stones and the one next to it appeared to have no rocks present with cattle grazing on it.

Thorson's explanations of the size of the fields versus the optimum distance of carrying rocks, and the amount of calories required to perform the work shows the d
This is a very interesting book however the author becomes a bit repetitious and perhaps the subject would have been better handled in an article.
J. D.
This is an absorbing natural & secular history of New England stone walls, debunking many myths that have grown around them.
I found this book to be well written and very easy to understand. I enjoyed learning about how and why the beautiful rock walls were created in New England. I also learned (remembered) much about the geological make-up of the north east. After reading this book, I have a deeper understanding and appreciation the rock walls I find while walking through the woods or driving down the small country roads of New Hampshire.
I love the stone walls that meander throughout New England and the Mid-Atlantic area and, just as I love stumbling upon an old wall during a weekend hike, I love stumbling upon a little treasure of a book when digging around in a bookstore. This one sits on the "keeper" shelf readily available to re-read.
I really enjoy learning/reading facts such as easy to read history of New England's topical creation by glaciers, the resulting rocks, why rocks are here, and why fields seem to grow rocks.
Jan 26, 2008 Karen marked it as to-read
His first book. It has a lot of geology -- a LOT of geology -- but it ridiculously thorough. You can tell he is passionate about his subject, to say the least.
Fascinating to learn about the geological and pragmatic reasons why there are so many stone walls in New England.
perfect for the new englander or Frost lover. Everything you'd want to know about our wonderful, rolling stone walls.
Great reference list
Autumn added it
Nov 11, 2015
Christopher Sego
Christopher Sego marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Jen marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Fred marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Curtis Tripp
Curtis Tripp marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
John Marsland
John Marsland marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Marilyn P. Askevold
Marilyn P. Askevold marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Joseph Corti
Joseph Corti marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015