Start by marking “The Magnificent Mountain Women: Adventures in the Colorado Rockies” as Want to Read:
The Magnificent Mountain Women: Adventures in the Colorado Rockies

The Magnificent Mountain Women: Adventures in the Colorado Rockies

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Since the Pikes Peak gold rush in the mid–nineteenth century, women have gone into the mountains of Colorado to hike, climb, ski, homestead, botanize, act as guides, practice medicine, and meet a variety of other challenges, whether for sport or for livelihood. Janet Robertson recounts their exploits in a lively, well-illustrated book that measures up to its title, The Mag ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 276 pages
Published October 1st 2003 by Bison Books (first published April 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Magnificent Mountain Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magnificent Mountain Women

Emily Palm
Finally, a book that actually acknowledges the contributions that women have made to the sport of mountaineering. I checked this book out from the library, but am realizing it must become a part of my collection as I find myself bringing up various tidbits I read in conversations.

Robertson covers a wide spectrum of women throughout the past century that have accomplished feats you don't read about in other historical mountaineering books. Compelling writing makes this an enjoyable as well as ed
It took a little while to get into the writing style. However once I did I enjoyed the book. The chapter I enjoyed the least was the last chapter which was on the modern mountain women. It was a case of the author being too close to the subject to allow it to be as conversational as the rest of the book. There were technical terms used which felt more like an instructional manual than a history telling . Also the last chapter jumped around suddenly between the stories of women. It felt like it w ...more
A great collection of outstanding Colorado women and their contributions to the advancement of women in outdoor activities. The book begins with the first women to climb notable Colorado peaks (i.e. Longs, Pikes, etc.). But the book also encompasses women influential in the establishment of several Colorado National Park Service units, guides, botanists, conservationists, and so much more. An inspirational and motivational read for women who love the outdoors!
Read for CO History book club. A look at women living in and climbing mountains of Colorado. Some are climbers; others homesteaders. Parts of it are very interesting; others seems like author's friends have been added. A few of the women seemed to take unnecessary risks for no very good reason. Probably not something I would have read on my own.
So far I have only just started today 7.7.10. I will add more when I am abit further in the book. I finished this book on 7.17.10 and it was very interesting about how women played an important role in the history of our National Parks here in Colorado.
This book was awesome. It was a bunch of short essays about women who went against the norm and climbed mountains when most women wouldn't even dream of such a thing. Some of them would even wear pants! How scandalous. Great, inspiring read.
This is one of the best books I have ever read. Very impressive what these women have done! LOVED IT.
Didn't enjoy this book much. The author was a little too overcome with how unfair life has been for women.
Cheetah marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Kelly Ritter
Kelly Ritter marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Heidi Schultz
Heidi Schultz marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Candace is currently reading it
May 07, 2015
Carole marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Shelly marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Ann Mitchell
Ann Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Sarah Billups
Sarah Billups marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Nostalgia Reader
Nostalgia Reader marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Marianne marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015