Start by marking “The Magnificent Mountain Women: Adventures in the Colorado Rockies” as Want to Read:
The Magnificent Mountain Women: Adventures in the Colorado Rockies

The Magnificent Mountain Women: Adventures in the Colorado Rockies

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Since the Pikes Peak gold rush in the mid–nineteenth century, women have gone into the mountains of Colorado to hike, climb, ski, homestead, botanize, act as guides, practice medicine, and meet a variety of other challenges, whether for sport or for livelihood. Janet Robertson recounts their exploits in a lively, well-illustrated book that measures up to its title, The Mag ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 276 pages
Published October 1st 2003 by Bison Books (first published April 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Magnificent Mountain Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magnificent Mountain Women

Emily Palm
May 12, 2010 Emily Palm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mountaineering
Finally, a book that actually acknowledges the contributions that women have made to the sport of mountaineering. I checked this book out from the library, but am realizing it must become a part of my collection as I find myself bringing up various tidbits I read in conversations.

Robertson covers a wide spectrum of women throughout the past century that have accomplished feats you don't read about in other historical mountaineering books. Compelling writing makes this an enjoyable as well as ed
Amy
Oct 21, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
It took a little while to get into the writing style. However once I did I enjoyed the book. The chapter I enjoyed the least was the last chapter which was on the modern mountain women. It was a case of the author being too close to the subject to allow it to be as conversational as the rest of the book. There were technical terms used which felt more like an instructional manual than a history telling . Also the last chapter jumped around suddenly between the stories of women. It felt like it w ...more
Megan
Feb 12, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
A great collection of outstanding Colorado women and their contributions to the advancement of women in outdoor activities. The book begins with the first women to climb notable Colorado peaks (i.e. Longs, Pikes, etc.). But the book also encompasses women influential in the establishment of several Colorado National Park Service units, guides, botanists, conservationists, and so much more. An inspirational and motivational read for women who love the outdoors!
Rae
May 06, 2013 Rae rated it liked it
Read for CO History book club. A look at women living in and climbing mountains of Colorado. Some are climbers; others homesteaders. Parts of it are very interesting; others seems like author's friends have been added. A few of the women seemed to take unnecessary risks for no very good reason. Probably not something I would have read on my own.
Emily
Jul 17, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
So far I have only just started today 7.7.10. I will add more when I am abit further in the book. I finished this book on 7.17.10 and it was very interesting about how women played an important role in the history of our National Parks here in Colorado.
Rebecca
Nov 27, 2007 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This book was awesome. It was a bunch of short essays about women who went against the norm and climbed mountains when most women wouldn't even dream of such a thing. Some of them would even wear pants! How scandalous. Great, inspiring read.
Judy
Jan 08, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nf-history-colo
I don't usually like books that are essentially a collection of shorter stories. But I enjoyed this, maybe because I already knew a little about most of these women.
Kimberly
Jan 31, 2009 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I have ever read. Very impressive what these women have done! LOVED IT.
Joanne
Apr 02, 2009 Joanne rated it it was ok
Didn't enjoy this book much. The author was a little too overcome with how unfair life has been for women.
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Scarlett Gard
Scarlett Gard marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Vicki Hill
Vicki Hill rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Cynthia Egbert
Cynthia Egbert rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Ameya Warde
Ameya Warde marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Jasmine Wilson
Jasmine Wilson rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Cheetah
Cheetah marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Kelly Ritter
Kelly Ritter marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Corky
Corky rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Kay Turnbaugh
Kay Turnbaugh rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Heidi Schultz
Heidi Schultz marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Lindsay Armstrong
Lindsay Armstrong rated it really liked it
May 20, 2015
Candace
Candace is currently reading it
May 07, 2015
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Hannah Satein
Hannah Satein rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Ann Mitchell
Ann Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015