Midnight Runner

Midnight Runner (Sean Dillon #10)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  1,093 ratings  ·  37 reviews
After her brothers are killed one by one, oil heiress Kate Rashid --- now the richest woman in the world --- swears vengeance on all who have harmed her family. Never mind that they tried to assassinate the President of the United States, that villainy ran in their veins. They were her brothers, and their enemies must pay with their lives: British agent Sean Dillon. White...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Berkley (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Runner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Runner

June
Jan 20, 2008 June rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in a light read, requiring no real thought
Don't hardly know what to say about this book. It started out with one character as apparently the "hero", but it wasn't really about him. The story line had a tendency to build and build and build, and then. . . nothing. Made me think of an impending sneeze that never comes to fruition. I think perhaps there is a book written prior to this one that would have made some things in this book more meaningful (as if any type of fiction of this genre is ever "meaningful.) At least the good guys "won"...more
Adam Heine
(Note that I only read to page 62. I stopped because life is too short to read books that annoy me. If someone believes these problems stop later in the book, then by all means correct me.)

This is the second political/military thriller I've read, written by a long-running best-selling author, that breaks basic rules of good writing. I guess when you can sell books on your name alone, you don't have to write well anymore.

In this one, there were two main flaws that bugged me so much I stopped read...more
Henri Moreaux
This is the 10th book in the Sean Dillion series and it was in a word, disappointing.

In the last book Kate Rashid attempted to organise the assassination of the US President, shot a police officer 3 times and and laundry list of other crimes. Her three brothers were killed by the "goodies" yet at the end of the book, this extremely rich criminal was... let go.

Now guess what a career criminal still wishes to commit crime. Who wouldda known hey?

So basically this book's entire plot line is based ar...more
Sieats
If Alan Partridge was asked to write an action novel this would be the result, the language is moronic and childish, the cliches constant and annoying. This was the only book left in the hotel, I should have just looked at the interesting shaped clouds for my pool time entertainment.
Richard York
Well, I got through it. Some books are fantastical and some are too fantastical. This is the latter. Like discovering that just when you need them, there are 3 AK 47s with silencers.
Alicia Hicks
Nothing groundbreaking here. Pretty standard Sean Dillon and entourage faire. Plenty of Bushmills and champagne. Oh and a train
Michael
A great read and lots of action. The steam train on the book cover is part of the story but you wouldn't think so for most of the story.Typical Higgins one of my favorite authors.
Eileen
Not his best
Michael
Typically Higgins with lots of action and a carefully woven plot.
Jesse
Not Jack HIggins's best work. Very little suspense, the characters were all recycled from previous books and not developed at all. Hard to believe this was written by the same guy who wrote The Eagle Has Landed. I guess some times you're just trying to pay the bills.
Marcia Brisson  Van Camp
Not the worst book I have ever read, but I think it would be better as a movie like so many other political thrillers. I had the audiobook and the reader, Patrick Macnee was good. Villians were way more interesting than the good guys.
Carrie
I normally love his work but I hated the premise of this one: the main character's girlfriend is killed in a terrorist/hostage situation so the whole book is about him seeking eye for an eye vengeance? Please.
Bill
The story was probably good, however, I listened to it on CD and the narrator was terrible - ruining the entire story.
Mary Jane
It was a good, exciting read. Most of the characters are from the UK and I'm not as familiar with their system, so some it went over my head. I was fine with that. It was a fun political thriller.
Vinita
Its quite pathetic. I wonder how it even got published. There is no character development, a lazy plot and sloppy dialogues. Hard to believe that this is from a best selling author.
Todd Woodfill
Great book, love the series, written somewhat similar to Robert B Parker except not in first person. After book 8 the level went downhill somewhat but overall still good.
Alexander
An action book (similar to an action movie). A head of a multi-billion company is trying to do hurt president of the US, while she can not deal even with a senator.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Sean Dillon and company; Arab woman looks to exact revenge on US and British governments by cutting off oil supply.
Mie and Gareth
A badly written book for children, full of all the racial stereotypes you could come up with. Sores to the hights of the Mariana trench. Awful.
Mom
Listened/ on tape player, sometimes confusing/ characters fairly unbelievable
Michael
Not his best book by a long shot, but it still had me hooked.
Deena Scintilla
Slow moving. Not what I expected from this author.
Jackie
Just couldn't get into this....quit at page 89.......
Kat
Good story but I did not like reader.
Jim Morton
very light on plot and writing..yawn
Jan
Typical Sean Dillon book. Fun.
Thomas
Aug 31, 2010 Thomas added it
Audio book. Netlibrary
Richard Mulholland
Good, but more of the same.
Why do you read Higgins? 2 6 Mar 20, 2012 02:39PM
  • The Fourth Order
  • Spy Sinker (Bernard Samson, #6)
  • Never Send Flowers (John Gardner's Bond, #13)
  • The Paris Option (Covert-One, #3)
  • Bear Island
  • Dead Men (Dan Shepherd, #5)
  • The Right Jack (Sigrid Harald Mystery #4)
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton, #5)
  • The Case of the Foot-Loose Doll (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Fist of God
  • Brute Force (Nick Stone, #11)
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan...more
More about Jack Higgins...
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Night of the Fox Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)

“He produced a black plastic box with a” 0 likes
“shoulder again and she was laughing. “You can rot in hell, Dillon.” Dillon said, “For God’s sake, no,” and half-slipped to the floor. “Now don’t be silly, old friend, make it easy on yourself. Just get up.” Which Dillon did, at the same time he was drawing the Colt from the ankle holster, ramming the muzzle into the side of Rupert Dauncey’s head, and pulling the trigger. There was an explosion of bone fragments and blood, the hollow point cartridge doing its work, and Dauncey dropped the Walther and fell back against the side of the door. Dillon pushed and sent him out into space. He grabbed at the Airstair door and closed it. He turned and found that Kate Rashid had put the Eagle on automatic and was reaching for her purse. She took out a small pistol, but he lunged, wrestled it from her, and tossed it to the back of the plane. She was hysterical with rage and” 0 likes