Start by marking “And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)” as Want to Read:
And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)

And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Jane Austen's classic novel, "Pride and Prejudice," ends with the marriage of the Bennet sisters to their hard-won fiances, but the story of Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam Darcy's life together is only beginning. "And This Our Life" is an affectionate and historically accurate sequel that chronicles the lives of the Darcys during their first year of marriage. In addition to lea ...more
Published June 13th 2008 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about And This Our Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And This Our Life

Christina
And This Our Life is a wonderful sequel to Pride and Prejudice, especially for readers who don’t enjoy all of the bodice-ripping that has plagued other sequels. The story immediately picks up where Pride and Prejudice ends with the Bingleys and the Darcys settling into married life. Society is both curious and distrusting of Mr. Darcy’s new bride, a plot line I think would have been more accurate than other sequels where everyone falls under Elizabeth’s charm. Georgiana matures in a believable f ...more
Laurel
A sweet story that will delight most Austen purist

Everyone has their own thoughts on how the happily ever after continued at the conclusion of Pride and Prejudice. As of late, we have seen many creative sequels with Lizzy and Darcy taking another turn about the shrubberies. What they do in those shrubberies can be quite surprising. Rest assured, you will see none of that in And This Our Life, by C. Allyn Pierson.

This sequel takes the straight and narrow path from page one with few detours in Au
Katherine
Exact same story as C. Allyn Pierson's other novel - Mr. Darcy's Little Sister so if you're read one you know the story of the other. 2 slight differences - no kidnapping in this book and less letters quoted.
This novel is a great continuation of Pride & Prejudice and Austen would be proud. All the "private" moments of a married couple as in love as Darcy and Elizabeth are kept private so the novel is very proper and fits the time period of writing. Elizabeth isn't accepted and liked by ever
Jennifer Gentry
I really, really, really liked this book! I loved reading about what happened after the "happily ever after" in a way that left some things to the imagination, like the sex life between Darcy and Elizabeth. Too many of the continuations I've seen are little more than bodice rippers in disguise. This book is NOT that way!

It gives us details on the first year of the Darcys' marriage, Miss Darcy's debut and first season, and fills in the details of some of the other characters.

I sincerely hope Ms.
Alexa
I generally really only go for the romance based (read: bodice rippers) JAFF, with the other exception being the Carrie Bebris mysteries. This is the first G rated P&P sequel I've really been able to get into. I don't know if I can really explain what makes it different, but I found the plot absorbing enough to make me feel like I could read about the rest of the character's lives. Fortunately Pierson is working on book 2!

Highly recommended to all JA fans.
Julie
I've read a lot of Pride and Prejudice adaptations and I have to say this was one of the more boring books. It was so slow going and took me forever to finish. I didn't like how there was no romance. I don't need bodice ripping or explicit scenes, however, it was lacking in the mutual love that Darcy and Elizabeth have for each other that I have read by other authors. And the ending ugh, come on, at least finish it.
Jeanah
This is the best sequel of Pride and Prejudice that I have read so far. I am very impressed with its historical connections and storyline. The romance was touched upon in a Jane Austen flare with interesting surprises and witty moments. I could not put it down. This is apparently "Book 1" so.... I cannot wait until book 2 is finished. Definitely a wonderful read for any lovers of Elizabeth and Darcy.
Stephanie
Of the Pride and Prejudice sequels that I've read, this is probably the best. It lacks some of the wit of Jane Austen, was a little predictable, and was a little dry at times; but by the end I was engrossed and enjoying spending time with some of my favorite literary characters again. I will be giving the next book in the series a chance.
What can I say? Reading Pride & Prejudice sequels is a guilty pleasure. I would give this one a B. The plot was pretty predictable (why does almost everyone pick the same gentleman for Georgiana to marry), but I enjoyed it. My favorite P&P sequels are by Elizabeth Aston.
Andrea
One of the most readable of the current Austen sequels. Unlike many, this continuation doesn't go overboard on adventure or rush through its plotted incidents. Although the amount of detail concerning dress could get old, the book is generally well researched and entertaining.
Babs
Sep 20, 2009 Babs rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Jane Austen's characters
I wasn't sure how this book would be, but gave it a try and I am happy I did. This is a wonderful book. It takes up after Darcy & Elizabeth are married. It goes more into detail about society and Georgiana. I did not want to put the book down.
Sabrina
Nov 19, 2012 Sabrina marked it as not-finished
I cannot finish this book . . . . I've tried on several different occasions. It's just so boring. Because I have so many other exciting books to read, I'm throwing this one on the back-burner.
Christine
Okay, I didn't finish it. But it was BORRRRRING. Too much talking and not enough action. I've read much better continuations of P&P. Sorry, it was not my cup of tea.
Alexa Adams
Dec 14, 2009 Alexa Adams rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Austen Fans
A fabulous sequel. Ms. Pierson strays well beyond the bounds of Austen's two inches of ivory but it works.
Carey Bligard
Another of my own books.
Jonlex
Jonlex marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Ylenia
Ylenia marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Jihad El Obbadi
Jihad El Obbadi marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Vickie Hartwell
Vickie Hartwell marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Rachel Hubbard
Rachel Hubbard marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Bre L
Bre L marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Amanda Caraker
Amanda Caraker marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Andriani Namolita
Andriani Namolita marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Robin Pearce
Robin Pearce marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
  • A Marriage Worth The Earning: ~To Have And To Hold~
  • Conviction: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice
  • Rainy Days - An Alternative Journey from Pride and Prejudice to Passion and Love.
  • Assumed Engagement
  • Darcy and Anne: It Is a Truth Universally Acknowledged That Lady Catherine Will Never Find a Husband for Anne...
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • Pemberley Manor
  • Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma
  • The Road to Pemberley: An Anthology of New Pride and Prejudice Stories
  • Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A Tale of a Gentleman and an Officer (Darcy and Fitzwilliam, #1)
  • A Pemberley Medley
  • A Noteworthy Courtship
  • Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel
C. Allyn Pierson is a pseudonym of Carey A. Bligard. Aside from being an author Mrs. Pierson is a physician practicing in Iowa. There she resides with her husband and two dogs.
More about C. Allyn Pierson...
Mr. Darcy's Little Sister Pride and Prejudice: The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote