Start by marking “Queene of Light (Lightworld/Darkworld, #1)” as Want to Read:
Queene of Light (Lightworld/Darkworld, #1)

Queene of Light (Lightworld/Darkworld #1)

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  881 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
In a time not long from now, the veil between fantasy and reality is ripped asunder—creatures of myth and fairy tale spill into the mortal world. Enchanted yet horrified, humans force the magical beings Underground, to colonize the sewers and abandoned subway tunnels beneath their glittering cities.

But even magic folk cannot dwell in harmony, and soon two Worlds emerge: t
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published October 1st 2009 by Mira (first published September 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Queene of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queene of Light

Wings by Aprilynne PikeThe Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. PearsonTithe by Holly BlackThe Declaration by Gemma MalleyEmma by Jane Austen
Butterflies
50th out of 226 books — 124 voters
The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTithe by Holly BlackDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
209th out of 911 books — 1,987 voters

More lists with this book...

new_user
Oct 29, 2009 new_user rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Harlequin, PNR fans
Queene of Light was an interesting read. Regular readers of the Mira line will find the style and tone familiar.

The prose was formal, perhaps a little florid; for example, Armintrout's continuing descriptions of voices as "rustling leaves," et cetera. At times, she borrowed some old-fashioned language appropriate to the ancient races, fae and angels, running the novel. Likewise the dialogue.

Personally, I'm not a fan of heroes who speak in "I do not understand" and "You will explain this to me"
Kelly
Sep 18, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Many urban fantasy authors have written about supernatural races coming out of the shadows and living among humans. Few have done anything like this: The supernatural races crossed the Veil to live among humans, but war broke out, and the humans won. The otherworldly beings, along with any humans found to have paranormal abilities, have been banished to an underworld of sewers and subway tunnels, while the humans rule the world above. I love this idea. Jennifer Armintrout gives the reader a sett ...more
Lenore
Jan 12, 2010 Lenore rated it liked it
The Story:

Lightworld/Darkworld is a new series for bestselling author of the Blood TIes series, Jennifer Armintrout.
Queene of Light is more of a prequel novel to the LD series. It begins with Ayla, a half-fairy half-human assassin, and Malachi, a former Death Angel. United, neither can be swayed to finish the job they were given.
A lowly Guild member, Ayla is not qualified for the position that awaits her. She must step us, not only to save herself but those she wishes to protect most.

My Thoughts
Nan
Feb 14, 2011 Nan rated it it was ok
I've had this book on my to-read shelf for a year. I bought it during the clearance sales when my bookstore was closing, and it got a bit lost in the sheer quantity of books I was buying at that time. The first time I picked it up, a few months after I bought it, I couldn't get into the story very easily.

This time, I got pulled right in.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the ride as much as I wished I would.

This is the story of Ayla and Malachi. Alya is half Fae, half human, and works as an Assassin
Darcy
Dec 03, 2009 Darcy rated it did not like it
I had a friend recommend this book to me as she really liked it. Both of our tastes are similar so I was excited to read this one. Unfortunately for me I just couldn't get into it. I did give it longer than I normally do a book where there is a disconnect, but as I just kept wanting to get up and actually do the dishes more and more instead of read I realized it was time to throw in the towel.
Melindeeloo
Jennifer Armintrout offers us something completely different from her Blood Ties vampires

Queene of Light kicks off Armintrout's Lightworld/Darkworld series with an interesting UF world inhabited by light and dark fae, and angels, whole civilizations which were forced under ground when humans and Fae collided in the past. Although the world is interesting and the story does have its moments, Queene of Light feels very thin and the romance - between the leading lady half human/fae assassin, Ayla,
Siuane Sadi
Nov 02, 2009 Siuane Sadi rated it it was ok
Shelves: magic, fantasy, first, in, fae, fallen, series
Hmmm... I picked this book up because I had a love-hate relationship with her previous vampire story. This one is a post-apocalyptic story with angels and faeries (yes, both belief sets if you can actually... believe it)

In the beginning it was difficult to picture the world structure, you are suddenly thrown into a hunt between an assassin and her prey, but it all gets waded through and explained through one history lesson in one chapter... yippee. Slowly, you learn as Malachi learns about the w
Sep 26, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2009
This review was originally posted on my review blog : Falling Off The Shelf.

Ayla is an assassin for the Faery Court of Lightworld. It is her duty to protect the innocent Fae of Lightworld, and to destroy those that may cause harm. Her most recent assignment brings her into Darkworld, the home of evil creatures and humans that were banned from the Up World. She is tracking a Werewolf, a vile creature that kills in it's wake. Ayla doesn't fear this creature, but she does fear the one that is track
Terra
Nov 26, 2009 Terra rated it really liked it
Queene of Light by Jennifer Armintrout is a Romantic Fantasy at its ultimate best. A story that could be considered an adult fairytale reveals the best and the worst of the Fantasy world.

Ayla is a half faery, half human who spent her childhood as a thief for her human father. Coming of age Ayla goes to the Faery World and appeals to the Queene to allow her to live among them. The Queene's brother is immediately smitten and begs his sisters indulgence with the provision that he be her mentor. Ayl
Nonny
I picked this up because I had read and liked Armintrout's previous work, but honestly, I found it disappointing. The characters are two-dimensional; the most interesting is Keller, a secondary character who is a BioMech, part human and part machine. He's quirky and a lot of fun.

As a romance, this book utterly fails. While I'm used to the recent trend of multi-book romance arcs, there is nothing appealing whatsoever about Malachi in this book. He's a Death Angel who accidentally Falls at the beg
SubterraneanCatalyst
What I liked:
-It has Fae, just 2pts + for that
-The male love interest is discovering his mortality and humanity after being transformed from a celestial being to a mere mortal.
-There is magic in this world
-The ending
What I disliked:
-I don't need chapters worth of world building or info dumps but sometimes I found myself confused huh? Which one is the..darkworld..lightworld..strip=middle DMZ world mmkay. Idk- it just got a bit confusing and then I didn't care and shrugged.

This book was decent, go
Tamara
Oct 31, 2009 Tamara rated it it was ok
I struggled to get into this book. I really wanted to like it; fairies are generally things I like. But I just didn't connect with anything until about the last couple of chapters. I realize this is book 1 of a series, but since it took that long to get engaged with the story, I don't think I care enough to read the rest.

Ayla is a half-human/half-fairy Assassin for the Fairy Queene. Her mentor, Garret, is the queen's brother and has a thing for Ayla. Malachi is a fallen angel, but only by "accid
Mar 15, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
This is definitely a different genre than I'm used to. It was a short, quick read and sometime you just need those kinds of books b/t all the long ones you read. At the beginning I wasn't really sure what all was going on, but by the middle of the book you could basically figure out what was going to happen, though I'm surprised that the book ended so nicely. The end leaves you wanting to know what's next, (and some things you know just have to happen) but it's not a cliff hanger or one of those ...more
FlibBityFLooB
Oct 28, 2009 FlibBityFLooB rated it liked it
This novel seemed a tad surreal at times. There was one scene where one character killed another character, yet I had to go back and reread the passage because the flowery prose didn't register with me at first. I looked at the passage and said to myself: "Did so-and-so just kill so-and-so!?!?!?".

I felt like this book had a lot of potential, but it wasn't quite where I wanted it to be. I will likely still read the sequel.
Feb 17, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book was a bit tough getting into it only because I found that the authors back story of the characters and the world was a bit convoluted and bizarre. If you take all of that out then you get a great story with very interesting characters. She does a slow build up to the characters and I really enjoyed her descriptions of the world. I love her world of faerie!!
Danica Avet
Sep 08, 2009 Danica Avet rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing story. It had such a wonderful twist on the realm of Faery and Humans and every other supernatural being we can think of. I loved it. I will honestly say that I didn't expect to like it since it wasn't so much romance as it was fantasy, but it hooked me.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next two in the trilogy.
Heather Freise
Nov 14, 2009 Heather Freise rated it it was ok
Really, when it all comes down to it, this book was a painful experience. The only reason I gave it a 2 is because I think the story had potential. I blame the author. And can I mention how much I hate when the characters fall in love after like 2 days and after wanting to kill each other... *sigh*
Aug 18, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Genre: Romance, fantasy
Characters: okay-good
Relationships: under developed
Plot: page turner
Overall: okay

This book was okay, but I do not know if I was interested enough to go on further in the series. The way Ayla and Malachi fall in love is not actually fall in love, they just "wake up" one day and are like "I can't live without you." Highly un-probable. So I did not really like that aspect. True I could not put it down, but it was not interesting, only well written. I liked the part with Ayla
K
Jul 10, 2016 K rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Morgan
I agree with the majority of reviews that I noticed saying that this book was mislabeled. Silly publishers.

I would also blame them for covers that are quite a bit more misleading than their 'paranormal romance tag' in hinting at what is awaiting the reader inside. There were even elements of sci-fi present with the augmentations/replacements that Humans like Keller had created.

Also, I would find some fault with the editors as there were several things I kept tripping over in my reading that coul
Melissa
Nov 02, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
When reading this book, I noticed that some of it seemed to be a bit inconsistent in the way the author wrote it. She seemed to linger on the dark areas of the book and then suddenly when Ayla was in war, it was over. It seemed that the darkness held more of the fascination with the author than moving the story along. This could be explained by the dedication that was at both the front and back at the book.

"To me, this book symbolizes a beautiful flower that grew out of the rotting rib cage of
Monica
Nov 12, 2010 Monica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Wow, was exactly what I was thinking after I closed the cover of this book. I wasn't expecting much; I honestly admit, because I heard some so-so reviews, they were completely wrong. I dived into this book head first and it gave me the literary oxygen my body needed...there are twists and turns, a few bumps-but easily handled-and it was smooth gliding until the end. I did get a bit of Gothic feel from this book, just like Jennifer Armintrout's Turning series...there is some Gothic feel to that s ...more
JoJosBookCorner
Aug 01, 2011 JoJosBookCorner marked it as to-read
Emily
Nov 13, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed-books
I should have learned by now that whenever I start a new series, I have to have at least the first two books on hand, because the first book in the series suffers from having to birth the entire world and cast of characters and the second book is where I decide if I like the series or not. This in a nutshell is pretty much what happened to me while reading Queene of Light.

Queene of Light has all the right ingredients to be a really fun book. The setting is fantastic- just enough detail is provid
Ithlilian
Jan 12, 2011 Ithlilian rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I was expecting a kick butt faerie assassin in an interesting setting where paranormal creatures have been cast underground by humans. What I got was a poorly constructed romance with strange characters. The darkworld and lightworld weren't described well enough for my liking. I understand why they are there and I understand what some of the buildings look like in each, but as a whole I didn't get a good feel for them. Well, the setting isn't really that important if the characters and plot are ...more
Natasja
Feb 14, 2011 Natasja rated it liked it
When the humans managed to banished all Otherworlders back to the underground, the groups were divided into two worlds; Light and Dark. Faeries, dwarves and dragons are living in the Lightworld, while angels, demons, werewolves and other creatures are living in the Darkworld. But there is a neutral territory between the two worlds, call the Strip.

Ayla grew up in the Strip, but was accepted into the Assassins Guild in the Lightworld. On her last mission, she runs into a Death Angel who turns mort
Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 Chibineko rated it it was ok
I'd loved Armintrout's previous series, so I'd picked the first three volumes of the Lightworld/Darkworld series up without too much of a second thought. I really wish that I'd read the first book before making such a commitment to the series.

Queene of Light shows us a world where faeries & all sorts of mythical creatures seemingly exist. It is in this world that the character of Alya, a half-breed, makes her meager existence. Half-breeds aren't very well liked in this world, so it comes as
Katy
Jun 07, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vine-book
What I really liked about this book is that it has followed the recent trend toward realism when telling about faeries - that is, that faeries are beautiful, but in many cases terrible, creatures. They aren't all love and light and cute and sweet, that is for sure! In this world, they are separated into Lightworld and Darkworld, although the humans have forced all of them Underground after the veils of reality have been rent asunder.

Ayla is a half-human/half-faery assassin. When she is stalked
Tahnee
Jan 30, 2011 Tahnee rated it did not like it
meh...I didn't like this but I didn't hate it either. At least I think I don't hate it...In reading the synopsis it seemed like it would be a great fun filled story but it fell flat. undeveloped story line, romance, and character development. I did not know anything about this author before reading but as I was posting this review I saw in her bio she likes the macabre. Tell me about it! this world is dark, dark, very dark almost with a goth feel to it. the author goes out of her way (at the exp ...more
Tina Hayes
Jan 20, 2010 Tina Hayes rated it did not like it
Shelves: vine
Fizzling plot, barely any romance, anticlimactic end, January 20, 2010
By Tina Hayes (Kentucky, USA) - See all my reviews

"Queene of Light" by Jennifer Trout fell short of my expectations. As a reader, I had absolutely no emotional reaction to either the story or the characters. The book had potential, and the author can write, but it would have been better if she put more effort in making the reader care about what happened rather than just giving us a wonderful paranormal setting.

Ayla is a hu
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • The Fall (The Rift #1)
  • Killian
  • Black Dog and Rebel Rose
  • Shadowfae (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #1)
  • Wicked Enchantment (Dark Magick, #1)
  • Flaming Dove
  • Once Bitten
  • Romeo Spikes
  • Darkness Descending (Vampire Armageddon, #1)
  • Ghostland (Ghostland World, #1)
  • Beg For Mercy (Mercy Hollings #1)
  • Dante's Journey
Jennifer Armintrout is a pseudonym for Jenny Trout.
More about Jennifer Armintrout...

Lightworld/Darkworld (3 books)
  • Child of Darkness (Lightworld/Darkworld, #2)
  • Veil of Shadows (Lightworld/Darkworld, #3)

“Wasn't loving him like loving the sun, so beautiful and warm, essential to light but deadly if you got too close?” 6 likes