Start by marking “Babette's Feast/Sorrow-Acre” as Want to Read:
Babette's Feast/Sorrow-Acre

Babette's Feast/Sorrow-Acre

Basis for Academy Award-winning film. Tony Award-winning Dewhurst presents a remarkable performance.
Audio, 2 pages
Published January 25th 1993 by Audio Partners (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Babette's Feast/Sorrow-Acre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babette's Feast/Sorrow-Acre

Jane Stewart
Sep 03, 2013 Jane Stewart rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Babette was not as good as the movie. Sorrow-Acre was too depressing for me. But both are thought provoking.

Two short stories - just over an hour each.

BABETTE’S FEAST

I saw the movie many years ago and liked it. It stayed in my mind. I hoped the book would be better, but it was not.

CAUTION SPOILER:
Two pious religious sisters have lived their lives helping others, eating simple food, denying themselves love and enjoyments in life. Babette’s husband and boys were killed. She flees to Norway where s
Seth Holler
Jun 16, 2015 Seth Holler rated it really liked it
"Babette's Feast" is an almost perfect short story. The matter and tone of the conclusion differ slightly from the film, which is the superior version. Both have integrity. The second story ("Sorrow-Acre") is set in the author's home country. Just as sensuous and delicate as "Babette," it has two lose strands, both pregnant with feeling and drama. I'm not sure what to make of them. I know "Babette" so well that I can see how all the pieces fit together; I can't say the same of "Sorrow-Acre." I ...more
Linda Hart
Jan 14, 2011 Linda Hart rated it really liked it
These are both short stories/vignettes, by Danish writer Isak Dineson, the pseudonym of Karen Blixen, author of "Out of Africa," and her writing is superb.
"Through all the world there goes one long cry from the heart of the artist: Give me leave to do my utmost." So writes Dinesen in "Babette's Feast" as she spins a tale of friendship's ultimate sacrifice and the deepest values of life. "Sorrow-Acre" is a lyrical story of heartbreaking beauty about an old woman who gives her life for her son's l
Nita
Nov 30, 2010 Nita added it
This is incredible.. a great way to get to know I. Dinesen.. but then read her biography.. her relationships with family were quite dysfuncitonal by our current understanding of sickness. She was brave, yes.. but running away from hard situations as well. I too, can say with her.. I had a farm in Africa-- a great enterprise to get away from sorrow for Dinesen.
Denise
Feb 17, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing
One of my most favorite books of all time. I have read this book so many times and own the movie rendention. To give a book 5 stars is a serious matter that I do not take lightly. So, I can say that I rarely give 5 stars to any book. Need I say more?
Despina Panagakos Yeargin
Dec 29, 2014 Despina Panagakos Yeargin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Babette's Feast is one of my all-time favourite tales. With all the beutiful symbolism, the mystery, the setting, the kindnesses back-and-forth...I also own the movie.
Dean
Dean rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
wonkagranny
wonkagranny rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Runi
Runi rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2008
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Charissa
Charissa rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2007
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Katrina
Katrina rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Lamache Locher
Lamache Locher rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2013
Jim Sproul
Jim Sproul rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2008
Ellie
Ellie rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2011
Char
Char rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2007
Eric Paul
Eric Paul rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Marshall
Marshall rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2007
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon Swain
Shannon Swain rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Lj
Lj rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2007
Nicola
Nicola rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Gail
Gail rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2007
Margaret Moore
Margaret Moore rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Fantasticmundane
Fantasticmundane rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2009
Pseudonym used by the Danish author Karen Blixen.

Baroness Karen von Blixen-Finecke (Danish: [kʰɑːɑn ˈbleɡsn]; 17 April 1885 – 7 September 1962), née Karen Christenze Dinesen, was a Danish author, also known by the pen name Isak Dinesen, who wrote works in Danish, French and English. She also at times used the pen names Tania Blixen, Osceola, and Pierre Andrézel.
Blixen is best known for Out of Afri
More about Isak Dinesen...