Start by marking “Memoirs of a Dutch Mudsill: The "War Memories" of John Henry Otto, Captain, Company D, 21st Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry” as Want to Read:

Captain John Henry Otto was a keen observer; his memoirs paint a vivid picture of the life of a common soldier and of a line officer at the company level during the Civil War.
Published July 1st 2004 by Kent State University Press

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs of a Dutch Mudsill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoirs of a Dutch Mudsill

Ann
Dec 22, 2015 Ann rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ann by: James B. Kennedy (editor)

This is my favorite Civil War book, and it reads like a novel. I don't often award five stars, but this book truly did amaze me and deserves more attention than it is getting in the book world. Written later in life, Otto's memoir is based on a journal he kept of events as they unfolded. To describe the content in a nutshell, I can't do better than to quote from my husband's review on Amazon:

"It follows the Army of the Cumberland as it fights, scavenges, and destroys its way through the heartla
Erick
Erick marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Andrés Torres
Andrés Torres marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
William Dickenson
William Dickenson marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Teri
Teri rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2010
Jade Schmitt
Jade Schmitt rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2008