Start by marking “The Whitney Chronicles” as Want to Read:
The Whitney Chronicles

The Whitney Chronicles (The Whitney Chronicles #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  521 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Her mother, sister and friends (?) fear spinsterhood may be thirty-year-old Whitney Blake's fate. And while she doesn't believe she'll be weaving tablecloths, Whitney wonders if Mr. Right will ever arrive. Deciding to be more proactive, Whitney starts a journal, stating her goals: "This month--Lose two pounds (sensibly). GET ORGANIZED. Start by cleaning closets. Have frien...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Steeple Hill (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Whitney Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whitney Chronicles

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversMark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine RiversLeaper by Geoffrey  WoodThe Master's Plan A Novel About Purpose by Stephany TullisThe God Cookie by Geoffrey  Wood
Christian Fiction Favorites
194th out of 299 books — 290 voters
The Creaking Tree by Kristen MarquetteMinutes Before Sunset by Shannon A. ThompsonAbove All Men by Eric ShonkwilerThe Historian by Elizabeth KostovaThis Wicked Rebellion by John Zimm
Midwest Authors
34th out of 66 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Blskelly
Really fun read...lots of humor. Sort of like Bridget Jones for the Christian reader. I met the author in college - her story is light and happy.
Natasha
Whitney, single Christian girl, really wants a relationship.
Written in diary format but most entries read more like scenes from a book, not a typical diary, which I liked.
SPOILERS
Best Friend Kim and hubby have baby boy Wesley. Kim is diagnosed with breast cancer, and falls into a deep depression. Feels like a failure because her parents tell her she wouldn't be depressed if she didn't have uncontested sin in her life.
Whitney sees Eric, plane obsessed guy but sets him free.
She sees business g...more
Ann
Whitney a 30 year old single christian woman keeps a diary as she is sorting out looking for the right man for her. She also helps a best friend through a bout of breast cancer and depression. Pretty fun, great christian aspect and it's set in Minneapolis.
Michelle Kidwell

The Whitney Chronicles is a wonderful book by Judy Baer, often funny, sometimes sad, always intelligent, this book deals with the life of a thirty year old women named Whitney, whose mother is going through Menopause and acting completely strange, her best friend is battling depression after finding out she has breast cancer, but they are able to find it in time for treatment to work, and her co-worker, really doesn't like to work but feels her mission is to set Whitney up on a date, her Mother...more
Wilani Wahl
This is a great book. I loved the fact that it is written in journal form. It is refreshing to read something different. I also loved the way the characters looked to the Lord for direction and guidance in their lives.
Penny
Loved the spiritual nuggets in the book, wasn't so crazy about the Matt 'relationship'...it didn't seem to fit in with what Whitney was journaling.
Melissa
Excellent Christian chick lit with well-communicated spiritual truths.
Carolyn
I really could understand Whitney and everything is was going through.
Roxane
This Christian faith book gets annoying in the story.
Mackenzie
Book 1 of 2
*Wonderful!
Ruth
This book is basically excerpts (or maybe the whole thing) from a diary written by a single woman who just turned 30 about her life. Her main crisis seems to be that she has too many men interested in her (which is a very annoying problem to have, from personal experience!). But, she also has issues with her parents (her mom has just started menopause and is going crazy), and at work.

This book was probably my least favorite from these five, since Whitney seemed to be a bit too exaggerated of a c...more
Malayandme
This book is funny and a good story. It is told diary-style, so it is a little different. I enjoyed it!
Alex
I was looking for something light to read during a long doctors appointment, and this book fit that bill perfectly. It was a sweet, cute and fluffy read, and I enjoyed the journal format more than I thought I would. This was billed as Christian chick-lit, which I've never read before. (Christian, yes. Chick-lit, yes. But never together!) Turns out I enjoy this genre - so I will look for other books by this author for sure.
Tanya Brunnelson
Loved reading a book where the character not only says they are Christian, but actually shows they have a relationship with God. I did find it a bit strange that the author focused more on the relationships that weren't right for Whitney than the one with the man she ended up with. It seemed as if the ending wasn't well written. But the basic story was a great read. Anxious to start the next in the series!
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
This was a cute book but I saw the ending coming near the beginning of the book...but it was still good to see how she handled problems and just life in general.

I could also relate having had breast cancer myself to Kim, although I did not sink into the depression that she did in the book. It was good to see her accept it and help from people that had experienced depression before.
Lonnie
Ok, this book was just what I needed...it was touching and funny all at the same time. I connected with the character Whitney (probably because I find myself in the same boat-a single, 30 year old, working woman) with the tipical ups and downs in work, relationships, and life in general. It helped remind me that God is in control and His timing if perfect...We just have to trust Him.
Trish
Light Christian chick lit with lots of corny humor. The "I feel fat because I'm 15 pounds overweight, but I'm finally taking it seriously and after six weeks of diet & exercise I'm smaller than I was in high school!" element of the storyline really bugged me, and the ending was very predictable, but still a decent weekend read.
Marilyn
Apr 17, 2007 Marilyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women

Second and third chances for relationships and self improvement.

There was an error in the book; there was a mention of a sister but at the same time the character was described as an only child.

Whitney Chronicles was a fun read, encouraging and thoughtful all at the same time.
Shatarra
This book had all the makings of a good novel but it just lost me towards the end. It skipped around too much because of her diary enteries. The author's writing reminds me so much of Kristen Billerbeck but lacked that pazazz Eh.. I will pass on reading the next book in the series.
Layla
This is a really sweet story of Whitney's journey over the course of about one year. She is facing the challenges of getting older, wanting a a husband and family, losing weight, and dealing with complicated relationships. Whitney is a woman that I would want to be friends with.
Kelsi Peterson
These stories about her Christian ladies are always funny to me. Then the author adds these little insights from their pets minds through some of the events and they are pretty humorous. I really like reading this author for mindless reading with a little humor.
Maurine
I really enjoyed this one, it had some good food for thought and it wasn't too mushy like some chick-lit tends to be. It also had me laughing hysterically, I wouldn't mind reading some of her other books.
Novie
I never really thought i'd like it. But i did. I've read books with a few Bible verses too but they bored me. This one is really funny, witty, and very relatable. I learned a lot from this book.
Lady_lit
Christianity meets Bridget Jones.

I'm an "internal reader", meaning that on the inside I'm laughing and happy or crying from sadness, but Baer had me laughing out loud. Highly recommended.
Marnie
After all the books about slutty, skanky women who hop into bed with whatever guy comes along, it was refreshing to read about Whitney, who wanted to save herself for marriage,
Christi
I had to stop reading this book I just did not like it I thought the main character was such a WHINNER I read the first chapter and then I switched books.
Chel ♪
I like this book It took me a little while to get into it at first but I got more into it in the middle of the book. But overall a pretty good book.
Whitney
This book was very amusing. I could really relate to the main character, and it was an added bonus that she was named after me. :)
Sherri
Quick read, but not much substance. Had several amusing moments with a little Christian inspiration thrown in. Just average.
Holly
Pretty good. Lots on learning to trust Heavenly Father. Some dealing with depression. A successful woman in Minnesota.
  • Miss Invisible
  • The Guy I'm Not Dating
  • A Girl's Best Friend (Spa Girls, #2)
  • The Cubicle Next Door
  • Perfecting Kate
  • That's -Not Exactly- Amore (Drama Queen #3)
  • Match Point (Lauren Holbrook, #3)
  • Lost in Rooville
  • Single Sashimi
  • Bookends
  • A Mile in My Flip-Flops
  • Savannah by the Sea
aka Judy Kaye

Judy Baer was born and grew up on a farm on the prairies of North Dakota, USA. An only child, she spent most of her days with imaginary people-either those she read about or those she made up in her head. Her most ambitious conjuring did not succeed, however. She kept a clean stall with hay and oats for the horse she imagined would come but unfortunately, it never did. As an adult, ho...more
More about Judy Baer...
Million Dollar Dilemma Norah's Ark Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3) The Baby Chronicles (Life, Faith & Getting It Right #19) (Steeple Hill Cafe) Oh, Baby!

“God designed each one of us for His purpose-and God doesn't make junk.” 11 likes
“I'd hate to be a balding man named Harry Harrison.” 2 likes