Start by marking “Vieux Démons (Nightside, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vieux Démons (Nightside, #1)

Vieux Démons (Nightside #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  16,716 ratings  ·  973 reviews
Je m'appelle Taylor, John Taylor. Ma carte de visite dit que je suis détective privé, mais en fait je suis plutôt un expert pour retrouver les objets perdus. Ça fait partie du don avec lequel je suis né... dans le Nightside. J'en suis parti il y a pas mal de temps pour sauver ma peau et ce qu'il me restait de raison. Aujourd'hui, je gagne ma vie au grand jour. Mais ces der ...more
Published March 29th 2007 by Bragelonne (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Vieux Démons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vieux Démons

Our first mention of the Nightside is (in my paperback edition) on page's 10 and 11 where we learn that, "The Nightside is the secret, hidden, dark heart of the city. London's evil twin. It's where the really wild things are."

From that point on, Green continues to write the phrase the Nightside on nearly every single page, often accompanied by a lengthy description of the horrors one will find in the Nightside. For example,

p.12 I considered the matter. How much, to go back into the Nightside?

Dan Schwent
After five years in London, John Taylor gets drawn back into the machinations of the Nightside when Joanna Barrett hires him to find her daughter. The trail takes him all over the Nightside and nothing is ever as it first seems...

I've had this on my bookcase for over a year and I finally gave it a read on vacation. It's light and obviously the first in a long series but I dig it just the same.

The Nightside is a pocket dimension that lies in part of London populated will all kinds of nasties. Joh
Lori Whitwam
This is the first book in Green's "Nightside" series.

"You can find anything in the Nightside-if it doesn't find you first. John Taylor is not a private detective per se, but he has a knack for finding lost things. That's why he's been hired to descend into the Nightside, an otherworldly realm in the center of London where fantasy and reality share renting space and the sun never shines"

I love this series. John Taylor is the relatively normal one (which isn't saying much) in a world filled with
Very good, I really liked the characters and the world. Similar feel to Dresden Files. Will buy more!
Something from the Nightside was just an okay read in my opinion. Its starts off good-a detective with a gift for finding things takes on a case in which he must locate a rich lady's missing daughter. All the woman knows is that her daughter is in the Nightside.

My biggest problem is I don't like the descriptions of the Nightside, it seemed like the author tried way to hard to make it seem weird. I think it may have been creepier with subtle descriptions of the weirdness. Here's an example, when
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
If you like your urban fantasy/occult detective novel with a touch of the horrific, then The Nightside books are up your alley. John Taylor is very enigmatic. He has abilities. He can find things, usually things that don't want to be found. There are things that go bump in the night. And most of them live in The Nightside. It's a dark, scary place that is somewhere near London.

John Taylor is a wanted man in the Nightside, and has sworn not to go back. You know about good intentions. When a girl
Catherine Ford
For the full review click:

Phew, how to describe this book! First of all, let me tell you that it is amazing, no more than amazing – it is a true master piece! I have never read anything like it and doubt if I will. The Nightside series is sort of a mix of Terry Pratchett meets James Bond meets hell. Perhaps the best description I can come up with is that it is a black comedy action urban fantasy, and that still doesn’t quite cut it.

The book is told from a
A friend of mine that reviewed this book said it well -- this might have been a great book if it had been written differently. Initially I should say upfront that I prefer character driven stories and if a story is plot driven, then it takes a very strong plot and complex world building for me to be a fan of the book Something from the Nightside is not a character driven book and it is not a book with a strong storyline or strong world building. I think I may have not been the right audience for ...more
Mar 27, 2013 Ami marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 47%

With huge apology to my buddy read (Kate), I simply have to bail. I can't continue a book where all I want is gritting my teeth in annoyance when I read it

Strike One: Alien Abductees. ALIEN. ABDUCTEES. Look I don't know, if it's the true plot or not, but when I read this line, I have to stop. I might enjoying The X-Files back in 1990s but definitely not almost two decades later. Alien is so last decade. I'm truly sorry, but anything with alien abductees thingy is not my thing.

Strike Tw
The Flooze
Something from the Nightside is the introduction to John Taylor, the man who can find anything and anyone. He's a native of the Nightside, the seedy yet vibrant underbelly of London, where nothing is what it seems.

Simon R. Green is adept at creating likable non-heroes. The men and women of the Nightside (including John Taylor) work within dark spaces, committing grey acts that are ultimately for the greater good. John is a rogue with enemies and a reputation for ruthlessness. Yet, his purpose i
Mike (the Paladin)
While this is not "my" first Nightside book, it is "the" first Night Side book. (The statement almost sounds like something from the Nightside doesn't it?)

John who is "something special" in the Nightside, is just "John Taylor" in the mundane world.

What's the Nightside? Good question, it's the dark heart of London...except it has apparently existed longer than the city itself. It's where all the dark, dangerous, magic "stuff" goes and "lives" or "exists" as some of the things walking, working, a
This book came highly, highly recommended to me, by the same friend who bought me my first Dresden and Belgariad books. Never before have I doubted her judgement.

This book was the worst example of telling, not showing, I've ever read. There was a lot of dialogue that was only there to talk about the Nightside. You leave the book knowing what kind of person John Taylor is. It's not from experiencing him as a character, but from him telling you all about himself. To illustrate this point, the phr
This book is written like an old-school down-on-his-luck PI mystery, complete with the rich dame that waltzes into the private eye's life desparately seeking his help. There are plenty of bleak monologues, just like you'd expect in that genre. That said, it's a contemporary urban fantasy setting that the author calls the Nightside. The Nightside is like a parallel dimension connected to London through the subway system. All sorts of crazy creatures from various dimensions, times, and planets com ...more
I liked this book. I enjoyed it for what it was. What it is though, might not be for everyone. Like many others I was pointed to this series because I like Jim Butcher, Butcher himself recommends this series. Something from the Nightside’s main character is John Taylor. John is a private detective with a gift for finding things. He takes a case about a missing girl that forces him to confront his past and enter the Nightside. John Taylor has a serious reputation in the Nightside and he thought h ...more
Sarah Alirezaee
Dreams can come true, in the Nightside. Everyone knows that.
But they still vanish when you wake up.

Brilliant! Don't miss it!
The Nightside, part of a realm under/beside London seems to be in another dimension ~ it's always 3am in the morning. Some things only like the dark.

This is a seriously bad place for those not aware and not prepared. John Taylor was born in the Nightside. Many creatures fear him coming back.

There were lots of subtle culture references, and also lots of stereotypes, but I've gotta say, I loved the 60's Coke and the casual mention of the 5 Tracy brothers and comments like "the plaque rats go arou
Tabitha (Pabkins)
This starts out like how I would think an typical old detective mystery movie would start. After closing time, the detective is in his office ( I pictured that old frosted glass from the black and white films), he's a down on his luck, up to his eyeballs in debt type, living on the couch there in his workspace...when he hears the sound of a woman's footsteps approaching. In walks the dame...yeah that's how it goes.

Some of it was so 'to be expected' but there was also enough unexpected parts to b
I made it halfway through this book before having to abandon it. I just couldn't get into the story and the characters had me rolling my eyes and impatient to move on to something else.

I have never been a huge fan of hard-boiled detective novels and the cliches of that genre don't appeal to me in the least. Something From The Nightside is very much in the hard-boiled detective frame, only with a fanstasy twist.

I like the idea of the Nightside and that alternate world within a world. There is som
David Derus
This book starts off as a poor man's Harry Dresden but ends up like a bad episode of Dr. Who. John Taylor, private eye, starts as the most stereotypical private eye ever. Rainy day? Check. Poor but principled anti hero? Check? Some genuine snark? Check.

Now, I like stereotypical private-eyes. However, Jon Taylor's flaw is not in his inability to separate himself from the pack. There are two major problems with this book. First, the world of the Nightside is so wild it is hard to invest in it. At
I keep looking for some kind of paranormal detective noir that I'll actually enjoy. It sounds like something I'd really like, but it seems that most people who write this just aren't very good writers.

This is a good example: the premise is fine, although the plot ends predictably. But the writing is completely lackluster. Every three pages one of the characters has to remark on how wacky things are " the Nightside." OKAY, I GET IT. THINGS ARE DIFFERENT. Show, don't tell. C'mon, I learned th
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is a fast little read, only 230 pages in the paperback edition. It has a lot of similarities with his Edwin Drood series: loners trying to escape their past, names that instill fear on the heart of all who hear them, odd little places that the characters stop by for no reason that really propels the story along but just provides some humor, the world is full of every kind of nasty including aliens, unreliable backstabbing frenemies, and so forth. It's a decent enough setup for the series bu ...more
Simon R. Green – 1st in mystery/fantasy series
John Taylor, in search of a runaway girl, was born in Nightside, an area of London “where it’s always 3 a.m. Where you can walk beside myths and drink with monsters. Where nothing is what it seems and everything is possible.”

I loved this book. Green writes with a Raymond Chandler-esq voice while creating a dark world of unique characters.
The narrator is perfect for the story and did a bang up job. If you're into detective noir, this is for you. It's an entertaining dark fantasy with nightmare creatures and weird plot twists. The romance is not believable to me, but this is a detective noir, where the protagonist is often analytical and human relationships are not deeply touched upon.
The Nightside is a parallel World or maybe just a parallel London that can be accessed through London's Tube system for those in the know. A pretty Dame walks into John's office wanting him to find her runway daughter that is rumored to be "IN THE NIGHTSIDE".

Why did I use the word 'Dame'? Why did I all cap "in the nightside"? Well. It's because this reads sort of like a cheesy clichéd old school private eye movie and the words "in the Nightside" were used SO many times that if you were playing
This is the first Green novel I have read. Picked it up at half price books, so I don't feel particularly bad about hating it. Or too terribly ripped off.

And I did hate it.
However, I kept reading it hoping that I was missing something.

To me, it seemed like this was the first book (or series) that Green wrote but didn't have it published until after he was established, giving fans more or something.

I got sick of the repeated phrases because, well, I am a smart woman and you don't need to tell me
Kasia S.
If you have darkness inside you then it must be hard to stay away from a place such as the Nightside. The London’s evil twin is where the action happens, the rules go out the window as all is fair in love and war when a private eye has to go further than the norm to find a missing person. The other world is laden with fantasy where anything your mind can dream up happens. This series was strikingly similar to Jim Butcher’s Harry Dresden series which I’m reading at the same time but in parallel y ...more
اون قدر که باید برام جذاب نبود. زیادی تخیلیش کرده بود. یه جورایی آشفتگی فانتزی داشت. خیلی داستان خوبی بود ولی آدم گیج و سردرگم می شد از بس فانتزی به خورد آدم می داد!

ترجمه شده چاپی رو خوندم. فارسی روون و خوبی داشت ولی آخراش حس می کنم یه کم با عجله ترجمه شده بود. نمیدونم شایدم حسم بیخوده :-D

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
London's underworld. Many different, strange characters, all of them dull. Including the main character, who is but a parody of the film noir detective. I love the supernatural, but this is just really boring, despite the strange new underworld it promises.
I loved the NBC series Constantine. Loved it. I loved how quirky the characters were and loved their no nonsense attitudes. Sure the show itself was cheesy and not all that scary, but it made me happy. Sadly, the show hasn't been picked up for second season just yet. There are rumors that there is renewed interest so I'm hoping. Hoping, Hoping, Hoping that they bring this show back. But in the mean time I may have found a small substitute.

I love wondering around my library. We have a really nice
Mary JL
Feb 18, 2014 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy; SF; Horror readers
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
This is a mixture of detective novel and urban fantasy. John Taylor, the PI in question, was born in the section of London---known only to a few in our mundane world--as 'the Nightside'.

Reality and unreality blend together in the Nightside and you can find many strange persons. Immortals; Deathwalkers; Demons; Pyschonauts and more.(page 28).

John Taylor left the Nightside five years ago to make a living as a PI in our 'normal' world. But when a distraught mother, as a last resort, asks him to tra
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Nightlife (Cal Leandros #1)
  • The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1)
  • Blood Engines (Marla Mason, #1)
  • Dead To Me (Simon Canderous, #1)
  • Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1)
  • Necropolis (Matt Richter #1)
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
  • The Neon Court (Matthew Swift, #3)
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • Dog Days (Dog Days, #1)
  • Monster Hunter Vendetta (Monster Hunter International, #2)
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

More about Simon R. Green...

Nightside (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, # 9)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
  • A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11)
Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2) Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3) Hex and the City (Nightside, #4) Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6) Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)

“The cream-tiled walls were spattered here and there with old dried bloodstains, deep gouges that might have been clawmarks, and all kinds of graffiti. As usual, someone had spelt Cthulhu wrongly.” 23 likes
“ I went to a house that was not a house. I opened a door that was not a door. And what I saw, I saw.” 21 likes