Start by marking “Nursery Tales Around the World” as Want to Read:
Nursery Tales Around the World

Nursery Tales Around the World

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
An international collection of 18 nursery tales for young children, grouped by theme, such as "Runaway Cookies," "Slowpokes and Speedsters," and "Chain Tales," and brillantly illustrated with full-color borders.
Published February 18th 1996 by Clarion Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Nursery Tales Around the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nursery Tales Around the World

Aaron Bower
Apr 07, 2014 Aaron Bower rated it did not like it
I read this book to count for one of my traditional literature books. I didn't really like it. I knew some the stories in it like The Three Little Pigs and The Hare and the Tortoise. The one I liked best was called Oden the Giant. he kept killing all of the people and animals by stepping on them. Then a bird, crab, eel, bedbug and mosquito made him think he was going crazy so he ran away. This story was from the Phillipines.
Renee Brown
Jan 15, 2016 Renee Brown rated it really liked it
Each section contains several variant stories from different regions of the world. Major themes are: runaway cookies, incredible appetites, victory of the smallest,chain tales, slowpokes and speedsters, and fooling the Big Bad Wolf. Source notes and bibliography. Storyteller resource.
Taya
Oct 22, 2009 Taya rated it liked it
Shelves: pbgs-4
One of the first impressions that this book gives is that it is a fairly substantial work. It is a compilation of many tales form different parts of the world broken down into similar themes. The detail within the pages is amazing. Each story is accompanied by a thick, intricate border. Each story is given a different design for the border. The styles echo the story itself and the type of art that would be familiar to that place. This just really adds to the author's intent of bringing together ...more
Beverly
Feb 17, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-folklore
I loved the way she compared variations of a folklore story in groups of three, each of the three being from a different country or culture group.
Lillian Angelovic
Jun 28, 2014 Lillian Angelovic rated it it was amazing
My all-time-favorite book of folk tales! The illustrations are absolutely beautiful, and the variations of the classic stories never get old.
Denicemarcell
lovely collection, same yet different
Hillary
May 08, 2013 Hillary rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable collection of 18 folklores from around the country. They are grouped into themes like 'Runaway Cookies' where children will be able to pick up on the similarities and differences from this tales. It is full of rhyme, rhythm, and repetition which is great for young readers.
Nov 18, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Classic folk stories organized so that all runaway cookie stories from different countries are together, for example.
Mar 22, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
L campagnola
Mar 18, 2009 L campagnola rated it really liked it
Loved the runaway bun story from Russia.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Laurel Heavner
Laurel Heavner rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Briema
Briema marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
S.E. Ferranti
S.E. Ferranti marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Risa Klee
Risa Klee rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Heather Boyd
Heather Boyd is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2015
Stephany Hancock
Stephany Hancock marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Ardyth
Ardyth added it
May 12, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Stephen Wiseheart
Stephen Wiseheart marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Lauren McMannis
Lauren McMannis rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
E.w
E.w added it
Nov 05, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Darla
Darla marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Amy and Oliver
Amy and Oliver rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
André
André added it
Nov 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
I took the long-cut to being an author. Out of college I did temporary work in offices and libraries, while at night, I wrote poetry and made strange life forms from cloth. When I teamed up with a puppeteer, Bob Kaminski (my husband), I was able to bring my cloth creations to life. We began performing on the streets of San Francisco, at Renaissance fairs, and at schools. After attending a workshop ...more
More about Judy Sierra...