Another Mother's Life

Another Mother's Life

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  612 ratings  ·  83 reviews

Can you ever mend a shattered friendship?

From Rowan Coleman, author of the acclaimed bestseller The Accidental Mother, comes a deeply moving novel for every woman who was ever a teenager in love, a mother, or made a heartbreaking decision.

For wealthy Alison James, moving with her family to her hometown of Farmington presents more than a case of relocation jitters. F

Published October 7th 2008 by Gallery Books (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Another Mother's Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Mother's Life

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerWives and Daughters by Elizabeth GaskellThe Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
Kin
207th out of 678 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Ashley
This was just an okay book. I couldn't put it down because I cannot not finish and book and I just wanted the story to be over already. It was kind of slow and drawn out. The characters were hardly likable. The main character, Alison, was extremely immature, almost unimaginable or realistically immature. The other main character, Cathy, was so flat and boring it was frustrating. It's a bit predictable, but overall it's an alright read. I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone unless you've got n...more
Mary
Although it wasn't a page turner it was good. And although the topic of fidelity in relationships is not one I love I thought that this book more accurately portrayed real human relationships than any other book I've read recently. That people aren't either good or bad but a constantly changing and evolving mixture of both. Also I loved the author being able to capture both perspectives of two characters interactions so well. It was real and believable. And in the end I got my happy ending which...more
Caz Lopez
This book is about two best friends in school Alison and Catherine. Catherine falls in love with an older guy called marc who turns up one day under a tree where catherine is sitting. Alison is very jealous of catherine and gets her own way and runaways with marc (not mentioning why as it will spoil it) and the girls dont see one another for 15 years.

15 years later alison and catherine both move on and have children of thir own. Alison with her husband and their three children lived in london an...more
Niki
I loved this book!!! Rowan Coleman is an amazing developer of characters. You just really feel like you know them. Great story of friendship. Makes you think about forgiveness and how sometimes it's necessary even when you don't think you are ready - not because it's the GOOD thing to do, but maybe because the one who hurt you is really the one person you need most in your life.
Audrey Wennink
I thought the concept for this story was great. I could not put it down. My only complaint was that a few bits of dialogue were unrealistically harsh. But mostly I thought it was a great story and well written.
Tracy
Feb 26, 2009 Tracy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone bored with nothing else to read.
This book was okay, at best. YAWN.
Catherine
This was a decent novel, definitely of the chick lit genre, but with a British accent. It reminded me a bit of a book I read several years ago, "The Reading Group" .

The basic premise is that one friend stole the other's boyfriend when they were 17. Now she's returned to their hometown, married to the boyfriend in question. Neither of the friends' lives have turned out the way they imagined, and the boyfriend stealer becomes convinced that she stole the life her friend was meant to have.

While i...more
Sydney
May 01, 2010 Sydney rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mothers, anyone who ever wondered "what if" about a guy
Shelves: chick-lit
Karen
This was a good book, story-wise. But, good heavens, the characters were like spoiled middle schoolers. One minute, Alison wants to revive her friendship with Catherine. She regrets how she betrayed Catherine as a teenager and she is furious with her husband for cheating on her and lying to her throughout their marriage. The next minute, she is considering seducing Jimmy, Catherine's husband. Catherine, although seemingly more mature than Alison, almost sleeps with Marc (you guessed it!), who is...more
Notbagels
I usually like Rowan Coleman's books for quick, fluffy chick lit, but this one kind of slogged for me. It was almost exactly halfway through the book before any of the characters realized they were living in the same town again and spoke to each other. It felt simultaneously like it had taken forever to get started and like there wasn't much story left to tell.

Also, I felt the reconciliation of all of the relationships was a little too easy and rather unrealistic. I hated half of the characters...more
Lynsey Corwin
This book I thought was a pretty good book. It is a good life lesson for people who want to hold grudges against people. Yes what Alison did to Catherine was very wrong getting pregnant by her best friends boyfriend. Especially because Catherine was pregnant, and she is the one who suffered and had an abortion. I can see why Alison didn't want to go back to her hometown of Farmington. I think I would have a hard time going back to my hometown also if I did something as disgraceful as what Alison...more
Jessica
As the due date for the library loomed, I was only about two thirds through this book. I had no desire to renew this. It was a struggle just to finish it. I ended up skimming through to the end. I didn't like any of the characters except for the 5 year old daughter named Leila. I didn't like the plot. I couldn't relate to any of the story line. I wouldn't be friends with someone who would steal my boyfriend and then 15 years later come back and proposition my husband. I also wouldn't be the type...more
It was a slow read for me and I felt like I glossed over some passages. It just didn't hold my interest like her other books. I never really felt connected to the characters. I wasn't sure if I was suppose to like Alison. I loved The Accidental Mother and Mommy by Mistake.
Mags
It took half the book for me to get into it. It was slow and full of looong speeches. Just as I was getting into it, the author had YET another speech, this time about divorce. While the sentiment was well thought out, what took me out of the story was that the character was saying it to a 5-year-old! There is no way and adult would speak to a child that way. And this was just one of many examples of dialogue that did not fit the story. Overall, disappointed with this book.
Stephanie
I enjoyed this book, but sadly not enough to give it 5 stars. It felt like it took me forever to read but in reality it wasn't that long. I never did come around to like Alison's character, though I'm not sure I was supposed to. I really felt for Catherine throughout the entire book, she was just such a sweet woman. I like that we got closure at the end with Catherine but I wish there was a little bit more for Alison.
Mae
This book was an enjoyable easy read by Rowan. Since reading her book the Accidental Mother I had to get my hands on more of her books and read them as I enjoyed it so much.
This book did not disappoint. I loved reading this book and following the storyline which can easily be related to someone's daily life experiences.
I recommend this book if you want a book that is good and enjoyable to read!!
Coll
This was a pretty good read. It's set in England, and ususally I don't enjoy books written in the English style, what with all the "mums" and "snoggins" and all, but I did enjoy this. It was quick moving and emotional, about 2 childhood friends that fall out over an older boy and how they reunite as adults. It's a love story, but more a story about women and friendships.
Tricia
Nov 04, 2013 Tricia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I read the hard copy.

I really enjoyed this book. I started it on a Friday and could not put it down! I finished it in 2 days since I DID have to eat and sleep!!

This is a very complicated story of two childhood best friends who fall in love with the same guy....

Bad decisions made and 15 years later....lives are still entwined and even more complicated.
Diana
None of the characters made me feel able to sympathize with them. There was a lot of should I or shouldn't I? And it got tiresome. What should have been a quick read took me a bit because I knew from page one what would happen. I know this is supposed to be an easy chic lit read, but it was almost a parody of itself.
Ashley (angelashly)
It was a good book. It is my first by Rowan Coleman. The plot was good, but not sure how believable. I thought the ending was rushed and there were things left unfinished that I really wanted finished. I didn't feel really pulled in by the characters that I usually like to be to enjoy a book, but the kids were adorable.
Brenda
I liked the storyline/plot of the book but it feels like it was going about it slowly at times. I gave it a 4 for the storyline but 2 for how it was written so it averaged out 3. What I found interesting is that this is a British book and learned a few British words (ie: bathroom - loo, cell phone - mobile).
annelies
Not sure how this book got an average of 3.3 stars. It was painfully slow and boring for me with maybe a few good pages thrown in. I have no idea why I bothered to finish it, other than I actually bought it as an impulse buy at Barnes and Noble in a buy 2 get one free spree. Don't waste your time!
Sue
This was not a great book. It was sappy. And for an easy-to-read book, it took me a month to read it because I kept putting it down. I didn't really care about the characters. And I think at some point, I'm supposed to feel sorry for the Allison character and I just didn't like her at all.
Samra Muslim
Gawd ... !
What a perfect script of a Indian movie ... with the love triangle, a 'breaking-marriage-which ends up being true love', true blue girl frands, etc etc *eyes rolling* ... soooo watever, typical and no fun in reading since the writing was also really boring!!!
Pat
2 women friends since grade school, both get seduced and pregnant by the same guy. One runs off with him and the other is left and forced by her parents to get an abortion. But in the end they come back together and they are friends and so are their daughters!
Stephanie
I liked this book enough to finish it.
I thought maybe there would be more drama than there was.
It started to get to the point of me knowing what the outcome was going to be for the characters about half way through, one marriage breaking up and one reuniting.
Nancy Hadley
I enjoyed this story of two estranged friends and how they rebuilt their friendship after spending two seperate lives for 15 years. So glad that the Alison character did the right thing at the end and chose her friendship over her own selfish desires.
Jen
The title and cover caught my eye. This was a great book about friendship and what happens when a boy/man comes between the friendship. I rooted for Cathy through-out the book. I wanted to like Alison but I never really liked her, despite her name.
Jen
Really liked how everyone went their own ways and came back together. I could relate to how people change and how things aren't always what you think. I liked it ... Sorry there's not more - it's been awhile since I've read it. Just adding it late.
Sandy
LOVED IT! my first book by this author. From the very first page, I found the characters easy to relate to, the storyline compelling and the writing style easy to follow! I will definitely read her other books...have already added them to my wishlist.
  • West End Girls
  • One September Morning
  • Tell Me Something
  • Pick Me Up
  • Sundowners
Rowan Coleman lives with her husband, and five children in a very full house in Hertfordshire. She juggles writing novels with raising her family which includes a very lively set of toddler twins whose main hobby is going in the opposite directions. When she gets the chance, Rowan enjoys sleeping, sitting and loves watching films; she is also attempting to learn how to bake.

Rowan would like to liv...more
More about Rowan Coleman...
The Accidental Mother Mommy by Mistake The Accidental Family Lessons in Laughing Out Loud The Memory Book