Start by marking “Detour for Emmy (Hamilton High, #1)” as Want to Read:
Detour for Emmy (Hamilton High, #1)

Detour for Emmy (Hamilton High #1)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  314 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
A selection of ALA Best Books for Young Adults, thisnovel tells the story of a 15-year-old girl who must face the consequences of becoming pregnant. ...more
Published July 1st 1993 by Morning Glory Press (first published May 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Detour for Emmy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detour for Emmy

Someone Like You by Sarah DessenForever by Judy BlumeDreamland by Sarah DessenGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksPerfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
YA Sex & Pregnancy Novels
62nd out of 281 books — 575 voters
Laura's Locket by Tima Maria LacobaBecoming Josephine by Heather  WebbThe Locket by Stacey JayMy Secret Boyfriend by Lurlene McDanielA Farewell to Charms by Lindsey Leavitt
Lockets
24th out of 24 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Mayra
Feb 07, 2008 Mayra rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Girls who want to read about other girls hardships.
Recommended to Mayra by: My friend
Emmy is a good student and has a bright future but then she meets her boyfriend and starts dating and going out. Her mom's never been to into her life and Emmy needs love she starts having relationships with him and one day she becomes pregnant. She does not know what to do but her boyfriend starts peeling off. Emmy decides to have the baby and she teels us about it is. Her mom is totally soppurtive and her boyfriend takes resposibility. Although he never takes emmy and their baby to meet his pa ...more
Eletric Eel
Apr 17, 2008 Eletric Eel rated it it was amazing
I read this book for health class but really liked it, and couldn't put it down. It's a book about a teen pregnancy and how one girl has the courage and determanation to help her baby have the best life possible even though her boyfriend left her, her mother is an alcholic who refuses to help and her brother is a confused and distressed teenager in prison( long story). She must give up school and learn how to balance everything. but with the help of a supportive grandpa and caring friends she ma ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Really well-written book that tackles a very real issue in this day and age - teenage pregnancy. Without sugarcoating anything, Detour for Emmy tells it like it is, but also manages to make the whole family very realistic and genuine.
Chrissi
Aug 19, 2015 Chrissi rated it liked it
I read this as part of a banned books feature that I do on my blog. I thought it was an interesting read. I really enjoyed how strong a person Emmy was.
Emmy showed great promise in school and on her soccer team. She meets a cute boy and they have a relationship. They are careful when having sex, but one time they aren’t. Obviously she gets pregnant and her whole life turns to crap, ish. Her brother is in jail, her mother wants her to have an abortion, the baby’s father denies his responsibilities and her teachers have already written her off. Emmy will have this baby and she will follow through on her plans of graduation and college.

Nothing mu
Damon Lee
Jun 09, 2009 Damon Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: advisory-books
Detour for Emmy is the best book in the whole world!!!! ITs a story about a girl who falls in love with "the boy of her dreams" in highschool. She loses her virginity to him. One night they had unprotected sex and he "pulls out" right before... and she gets pregnant. He doesn't take responsibility and she has to deal with her alcoholic mom, her angry brother while balancing school and her new baby.
The author’s style is quite interesting since it’s a girl’s perspective and it was a great experien
Maura
Jan 01, 2015 Maura rated it really liked it
Desiree Zempel
May 15, 2013 Desiree Zempel rated it it was amazing
I read the book “Detour for Emmy” by Marilyn Reynolds. This book was the best book I have ever read. Reading this book from the start catches your attention right away. By the little detail and everything that is said. It all started out with Emmy being a shy girl, but falling in love with a boy from choir and lost her virginity to him. Later on after they had sex, Emmy didn’t get her period and she knew right then and there she was pregnant. Emmy went to go tell her boy friend and he acted like ...more
Ann
Jul 14, 2015 Ann rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I especially enjoyed reading about the infant center. This is an on-site daycare that offers young parents an opportunity to finish their education.
I have previous work experience in different child care settings. Very much looking forward to reading some more by this young adult writer.
Iam Lilnisha
May 29, 2014 Barbara Ramirez rated it it was amazing
The best book I love it ...more
Jasmine
Feb 22, 2012 Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone in high school.
I read this book when I was a teen and in high school and the thing I got out of it was not to get pregnant in high school. It was raw and real and a very good read. Emmy fell in love, got pregnant and her life was turned upside down and there isn't a cookie cutter ending. Here she is stuck with a brand new life in her hands staying up late, changing diapers while the baby's father is left unchanged and to live his life. Now, why teens are given this book to read is news to me it should be manda ...more
Whisper_willow
zapkode.marie
Dec 15, 2012 zapkode.marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback, borrowed
{my thoughts} - This book hit home hit home with me. I recommend this book for any teenage parent to read. It is well written and is not full of fluff. It says what can happen in such a situation and the reality of what it is like to raise a baby as a teenager. It doesn't beat around the bush it says it how it is and that is all that matters. Teenagers need to know the reality of such a situation and this book shares with them that reality.
Karen
May 24, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
This novel is very interesting and heart opening.It shows the stuggle of a teen facing motherhood.This book can show many teens, that parenthood is not easy for a teenager that has nothing to give to her child.I like how the book also shows that your not always going to have your boyfriend in a situation like this because they will not always stick to your side no matter what because at some point things will change.
Erika Guerrero
Apr 25, 2008 Erika Guerrero rated it really liked it
a 15 year old girl that gets pregnat. She doesn't know what todo with the babt. Whne she's to young to take care of him. She feelslonley and scare. She doesn't have love from her family. And she feels tha no one is going to support her with a baby. With a deunk mother she didn't have n one to caount with. Her boyfriend didn't want to be responsible for the baby. She had to face the world on her own and with a child.
Anners
May 07, 2010 Anners rated it it was ok
This is the story of fifteen-year-old Emmy, who finds herself on a diversion from her carefully laid academic plans to the road of single motherhood. The hardship, tedium, and responsibility of parenting and the pain of deferred dreams provide a strong, if sometimes didactic, message to YAs. The story is predictable and the language is at times tedious, but the story is still compelling.
[:maяia:]
Aug 24, 2009 [:maяia:] rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens
emmy is an intelligent girl who got pregnant at age 16.she was still attending school trying to make up all the work she missed.she was having a hard time but got through all the difficult moments and gave birth to a baby girl:]

i learned that being pregnant is very difficult for teens who is still in school.
Devon
Apr 24, 2010 Devon rated it it was amazing
I've always been one for fiction books of teen pregnancy and this is one of my favorites. Marilyn Reyenolds really call pull at your heart strings with this story of a teenage girl becoming pregnant, her boyfriend leaves her and her family is broken. Love how you can see the girls passion of only wanting the best for her baby
Catherine
Dec 15, 2014 Catherine rated it it was amazing
A good story for youthful teenage girls that leaves a moral or lesson towards the end. Marilyn Reynolds leaves a message about caring and accepting life changes through the lonely and tough parts of life.
Lissette
May 23, 2011 Lissette rated it really liked it
In the book Detour for Emmy she has to go through a lot of things.Its has to be hard to be a teen mom,but emmy got through it. I like this book because it shows that even though she made a mistake she still made something with her life and still taking care of a baby.
Evan Williamson
Sep 21, 2014 Evan Williamson marked it as to-read
Shelves: banned-books
I cannot say this is a good book, but it does have a good heart and a great message buried in a wealth of stilted, Lifetime movie quality dialog and jerky pacing. The audience for this book is teenagers and it is written on their level, sometimes too well.
Molly
Jul 02, 2013 Molly rated it liked it
Poor Emmy. That is pretty much the only thought in your mind while reading this book. You can just see how starved of affection she was her whole life, and how that drove her to do what she did. It's a fast read, and the story touches your heart.
Nov 21, 2007 Jennifer rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teenage girls
I loved this book as a teenager. Although I was not a pregnant teenager, I found this to be a very realistic book because a lot of girls in my high school were pregnant. Even though Emmy's situation is terrible, you find yourself rooting for her!
Sherita Bell
(marge voice)Loved it.Many teenagers go through this and so it all begins with just a boy who loves you but the women take responsibility and really have to deal with it.Anyways loved it.
Jackie Jones
Jun 07, 2011 Jackie Jones rated it it was amazing
i like the whole thing i got to read it just for fun at school. and i got it one night and finished within 2 days i couldnt put it down
♡ Kristina
Aug 27, 2013 ♡ Kristina marked it as to-read
Banned Books 2005Reason: sexual content
Jennell Rolle
Oct 20, 2010 Jennell Rolle rated it it was amazing
this was actualy a really good book its something that i see alot in teens now of days
Viviana
Dec 15, 2010 Viviana rated it it was amazing
Great book. Hated the guy though for not maning up to his responsibilities.
Sheeky
Oct 05, 2008 Sheeky rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: friends
I LOVE THIS BOOK! BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I READ IT IN 1 DAY! 1 DAY!
My book 1 1 Dec 16, 2014 08:19PM
  • I Saw Esau: The Schoolchild's Pocket Book
  • Crazy Lady!
  • The Drowning of Stephan Jones
  • Life is Funny
  • What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Daughters
  • Athletic Shorts: Six Short Stories
  • The Joy of Gay Sex
  • Flashcards of My Life
  • When Dad Killed Mom
  • It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families
  • Daddy's Roommate
  • We All Fall Down

Hamilton High (10 books)
  • Too Soon for Jeff (Hamilton High, #2)
  • Beyond Dreams (Hamilton High, #3)
  • Telling (Hamilton High, #4)
  • But What About Me? (Hamilton High, #5)
  • Baby Help (Hamilton High, #6)
  • If You Loved Me (Hamilton High, #7)
  • Love Rules (Hamilton High, #8)
  • No More Sad Goodbyes (Hamilton High, #9)
  • Shut Up! (Hamilton High, #10)