Start by marking “Meet Wild Boars” as Want to Read:
Meet Wild Boars

Meet Wild Boars

If you share your treats with Morris he will stomp on them with his beastly feet. STOMP STOMP STOMP. Naughty Morris.

Are you daring enough to befriend this dastardly bunch of boars?

Meet Wild Boars! Or maybe you better not. After all, they are dirty and smelly, bad-tempered and rude. They might try to fool you, but don't worry, you won't believe them. There's no such thing a
Published May 1st 2005 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Meet Wild Boars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Wild Boars

Connie
Nov 24, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it
Let's say it at the start - the wild boars are NOT pleasant. In fact, we can all agree there's no such thing as a nice wild boar. They make rude smells, they wantonly destroy your things, they tusk you if you do anything nice for them, they throw massive tantrums - and then they laugh when they blame it all on you.

And these are the main characters of this book, so if you or your child is incapable of understanding that *depicting* bad behavior is not the same thing as *endorsing* bad behavior, w
Ginny
Jul 25, 2011 Ginny rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books, 2011
Wow. I do not understand what the purpose of this book was. Is it maybe to teach manners? Doing it in a reverse way though doesn't seem helpful. All we see is how rude, nasty, and mean these four wild boars are. Even the baby who leaves a steamy pile of poo. Is this telling us that no matter what there are some children who will always be BAD?

Skip this one.
Alamoliz
Jun 30, 2008 Alamoliz rated it did not like it
Very naughty pigs display horrible manners. Regrettably, there doesn't seem to be a moral to this.
The Brothers
Feb 08, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: behavior, manners
A rather charming warning of just how awful wild boars can be. Four boars a introduced and then the author cheekily suggests they come visit you at your house. Their behavior at your house is atrocious! But this is a cautionary tale, so if you ever do in fact come across a wild boar, you won't been surprised.

Great illustrations.
Alice
Jun 30, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
I am not sure what the purpose of this book but I am going to guess that it is to show kids that being , rude, smelly and noisy like wild boars, they can see the errors in their bad behavior and shape up? Not sure! Interesting concept and it has some comical moments!
S.N. Arly
Sep 19, 2009 S.N. Arly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I picked up this book on a whim. I'd never heard of it before, and I'm not sure why. This is easily as engaging and entertaining to the picture book crowd as Don't Let The Pigeon Ride the Bus, I'd Really Like to Eat A Child, and Green Eggs and Ham.

The book can be read simply as a silly tale, or it can be used to guide and direct behavior. As we see the wild boars exhibiting enormous social faux pas, young children can relate and see why you wouldn't want to be around someone behaving as they do.
Lauren
I haven't read Walter the Farting Dog, but I can assume it might run along the same grossness as the wild boars books. Read this and Wild Boars Cook during a "manners" preschool story time (teaching by negative example.) They were a lot of fun and I think the kids got a kick out of them. I was a little appalled at the nastiness (farting & poop,) but it's good to share some real stinky, bad-manneredness after seeing so many cutesy books for kids. My favorite part was in the middle of the book ...more
Nicole
This is a good book, overall. Not my favorite by far, though. I thought I saw a message coming about being a good friend, and then it never came. But it was a cute read.
Foxytocin
A refreshing break for both parents and kids from cute, sunshiny morality tales......a book like this provides an important contrast to gentler stories and is a most excellent way to generate discussion, appealing to both parents and kids alike with the humourous and rather crude subject matter.
I think all of us have a bit of "wild boar" in us somewhere (whether we admitt it or not)......this book is another reminder of why we, for the most part, keep the unpleasant beast on a very short leash.
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Interest Level: K-2
Grade level Equivalent: 1.8
Lexile Measure: 850L
Guided Reading: J

This is a humorous story about three naughty, rude will boars. It tells of how even when other characters are nice to the boars, they will still be horrible back. This is a cute story that will be easy for independent readers. The pictures are as engaging for emergent readers as well. This is a good read aloud for fun and
Crystal Allen
Feb 18, 2008 Crystal Allen rated it liked it
Shelves: kidspicturebooks
I first read this book when I was a bookseller and seem to remember absolutely loving it and being thoroughly amused by it. Then about a year or so ago I saw it as a bargain book at a local bookstore and immediately told my husband I had to buy it. I brought it home, read it and somehow it just didn't live up to how I remembered it. I can't remember what in the storyline disappointed me... maybe it's time to pick it up again. I do remember that I love the illustrations!
Dianna
Jan 01, 2012 Dianna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The wild boars are nasty, disgusting, and rude. I actually thought the book was pretty fun and quirky until the last page, on which was depicted a pile of poop. Frankly, I found that offensive, and it ruined an otherwise enjoyable book for my son and me.

I was doubly disappointed since I liked the sequel, Wild Boars Cook, quite a lot.
Peacegal
Sep 25, 2013 Peacegal rated it it was ok
I think I know more than a few children who behave like the wild boars in these pages.

However, wild pigs in the US simply can't catch a break, and similarly have few friends, and stories like this don't exactly cultivate sympathy. A bit like the negative way wolves are characterized in children's stories.

Monalisa Johnson-brown
Dec 04, 2010 Monalisa Johnson-brown rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
This is about four wild boars who were named Boris, Morris, Horace, and Doris. They were all mean and bad in their own way. They would tear up the house, soak in the toilet, be passing gas for fun. They did everything a boar would do but these children which they could do something right like sleep in bed with pajamas on or take a bathe. They realized that, it would never happen.
Rcltigger
Jul 10, 2012 Rcltigger rated it really liked it
Those naughty wild boars! They are so unpleasant and ill-mannered, which is precisely why this book was such a hit with my three year old son, who repeatedly requested this book on several nights. It's also fun to read aloud and it gave me a great opportunity to weave questions/talk to him about bad behavior as I read the story to him. Recommended.
Barbara
Nov 10, 2008 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Great fun for both my daughter and my husband--their favorite books are about "baddies" like these rude, messy, inconsiderate boars, who are all named to add to their realism. Follow up about taking a bath is just as much fun.
Ariel Cummins
Feb 25, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super funny story about some very badly behaved boars. Lots of awesome vocabulary, and really silly illustrations.

Would be great for a readaloud for older groups. They're sure to get a laugh out of the stinkiness.
Lesley Looper
I picked thos book on a whim as I walked through the children's section of the library last evening. The illustrations were cute, and I think kids would probably like the silliness of this one.
Shannon
Mar 20, 2011 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Silly. Great, crisp art. Read my full review with lesson plans here: http://mshoughtonsclass.wordpress.com...
Riki
May 11, 2009 Riki rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite picture book of the moment. It's a welcome departure from all of the cutesie children's books out there.
Mrs Bond
Mar 12, 2009 Mrs Bond rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, manners
Silly story about some very rude wild boars. Great jumping point for discussion on very rude children, as if they exist...
Guadalupe Ramirez
Apr 16, 2011 Guadalupe Ramirez rated it liked it
Shelves: behavior, manners
A silly story to talk about behavior and manners with younger children. The illustrations are funny and colorful.
Inspired Kathy
Feb 27, 2009 Inspired Kathy rated it it was ok
Seemed like it would be aimed at teaching kids manners but never really says how the boars act is not right.
Janet
Mar 18, 2007 Janet rated it really liked it
Picture book by great YA author. Come on, wild boars - no one could pass that up!
Kristina
Feb 13, 2012 Kristina rated it it was ok
Shelves: emotions, animals, manners
Wild Boars cook is more enjoyable, but the art work in this one is cute.
Molly
Mar 14, 2009 Molly rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Just the kind of slightly gross, sarcastic humor that I like!
Betsey
Apr 27, 2013 Betsey rated it it was amazing
Even the back flap author note is funny! Highly Recommended.
Relyn
Jan 28, 2013 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I love the illustrator.
This will be fun to kick off a series of lessons on manners.
John
Jan 18, 2016 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Outstanding child's book! It made me snort snort snort with laughter.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Pirate Girl
  • The Chicken of the Family
  • Augustine
  • Perfectly Percy
Meg Rosoff was born in Boston and had three or four careers in publishing and advertising before she moved to London in 1989, where she lives now with her husband and daughter. Formerly a Young Adult author, Meg has earned numerous prizes including the highest American and British honors for YA fiction: the Michael L. Printz Award and the Carnegie Medal.
More about Meg Rosoff...