Lovely Me: The Life of Jacqueline Susann

Lovely Me: The Life of Jacqueline Susann

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Barbara Seaman's pioneering biography of the author of Valley of the Dolls, The Love Machine, and other mega-sellers examines the life of a woman who exhibited amazing strength in every aspect of her life-from getting her writing published and promoted to fighting her ultimate adversary, breast cancer.
Published August 6th 1996 by Seven Stories Press (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Lovely Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovely Me

Jessica
This was not a proper biography; it was a collection of information and anecdotes about Jacqueline Susann, fabulous authoress of the literary classic Valley of the Dolls.

I read 352 pages (or about 77%) of this book, then tossed it on my bedroom floor amidst the piles of discarded shoes, dried-up mascara tubes, and empty prescription pill bottles and sort of forgot about it. I think she's on her way back to the library, though I might still cave and read all the way through to her untimely death...more
Julie Brister
If you care about the fact that Jacqueline Susann and Ethel Merman had a torrid affair, then this book is for you.
Brittany
Dec 26, 2010 Brittany rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Valley of the Dolls fans
How I Came To Read This Book: My mom got it from somewhere...a few years ago I had to read 'Valley of the Dolls' for class and I loved it. My mom also read it, and when I saw she had this bio, the two of us decided to read it.

The Plot: This is an unauthorized biography of Jacqueline Susann, author of one of the best-selling novels of all time, "Valley of the Dolls". At the age of 18, back in the 1940s, Jackie ventured to New York City to aim for fame and stardom on the stage. After decades of s...more
Tim
skim through the boring childhood stuff until you get to the juicy bits...
Louise
Barbara Seaman does a good job of relating the full and fantastic life of Jacqueline Susann. Susann had unusual ambition, drive and commitment to success. Her energy and zest for life, up until her death from cancer are extraordinary. What impressed me is that Susanne succeeded while carrying a tremendous load. I was not aware of the saga of Jacqueline Susann until I read this book.

Susann did not have the wind at her back. I was struck by how many troubles she faced that were made more difficult...more
There's so much to like about LOVELY ME. VALLEY OF THE DOLLS is a fascinating, strange, incredibly entertaining novel, and I've always wondered about its author. Jacqueline Susann seems to have embodied the sixties--just as she predicted, according to Barbara Seaman. Seaman never met her subject, but the Susann she portrays seems very plausible: Brilliant at self-promotion, self-aware, madly driven, and, in the end, a very empathetic person. It was fun to read about her feuds with Truman Capote...more
Andrea
i took this out of the library because it was recommended by an author in venus zine, and i like a lot of biographies, and i love valley of the dolls. the cover says "her novels shocked the world. if the world only knew..." basically, if the world only knew how shocking jacqueline susann's own life was. she had affairs, she popped pills, etc. this was entertaining to me because i like reading about writers and it was cool to see how much of her own experiences went into her books. also, she had...more
Laura K.
Aug 22, 2010 Laura K. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jacqueline Susann fans; biography fans
Recommended to Laura K. by: Jacqueline Susann fan club
I LOVE this biography on Jackie! Very well done. I just wish it was more in-depth and told much more about her younger days and especially her various romances. Though public in her "image" as a writer/cultural icon and in her book tours, Jackie was still a remarkably private woman. She has long been my favorite writer and my favorite woman, for her intelligence, wit, trendsetting style, talent and raw strength. She was truly a cultural visionary, and definitely one of the strongest women the wo...more
Kathryn
Not necessarily a thorough biography. Got the impression the author sanitized parts of Jackie's life out of deference to her family.
Bebe Burnside
This is the story of Jacqueline Susan, author of Valley of the Dolls, Forever Josephine etc. From Childhood through her death we see the good, the bad and the ugly. She lived her life on her terms and took what she wanted and left no prisoners. Some vilified her for that, but I think she was a strong determined persona and had she been a man, she would have been applauded. It keeps you on the edge of your seat and wondering what outlandish thing she is going to do next.
LD
This book is a nice and easy read for the synopsis of Jacqueline Susann's, which possesses some excitement similar to the Valley of the Dolls heroines.

"Jackie Susann was nowhere at the age of forty-four. Her looks were fading, her health was gone, the best of her dreams seemed dead. But instead of languishing, she shut herself up alone in a room with a typewriter to make one last grab at the brass ring."
Travis Whirl
I enjoyed this biography so much. Reading about her pursuits in the theatre, the life she and Irving had for themselves in New York, her ambition and method of writing, very intriguing and interesting. She obviously wanted to be loved by many, she was desperate for it. It's a sad story, especially the circumstances of her son, Guy, and her death. I hope she did find what she was looking for at the end.
Charlotte Libov
This extraordinary biography of the always compelling Jackie Susann was written by my wonderful friend, Barbara Seaman, who passed away too young last year. It is a very through, readable biography of Jackie that brings to life the glamorous 1940s through the changes in the 1970s and beyond, and is a must read for those who are interested in learning about Jackie, her world or publishing.
Jessica
A fascinating woman...a genius for publicity, an autistic child who got put away (heartbreaking), and of course all those pills...you can't help admiring her, she was really ahead of her time in terms of becoming a brandname and self-promotion. Of course there was talent there too. It's been awhile since I've read it, I'd like to post more about it...
Graceann
Nov 30, 2007 Graceann rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Biography Fans
Shelves: biography
Jacqueline Susann was someone you either love or hate; there doesn't seem to be any middle ground. I admit that her novels are guilty pleasures for me, and I was interested in reading about her life. She parlayed minimal writing talent and marketing skill into a career that is still remembered.
Bethany
This book was written in an easy-reading style that shows obvious affection for its subject. Jacqueline Susann made herself a remarkable life, and the story of it balances the fine line between being encouraging without heavy-handed warm-and-fuzzy treacle.
Heather
Sep 23, 2007 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: jackie susann fans!
a very, very good biography. jackie is fabulous, but would you expect anything else from ms. susann?? hell no!
Scott
Sometimes I get so bored I'll read anything.
Linda
Enlightening story about the author.
Laura Lee
Interesting, tho sad life.
Sarah K
Sarah K marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Donna Russell
Donna Russell marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Quazzee
Quazzee marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Diane Ostermann
Diane Ostermann marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
One of the most tireless health advocates, Barbara Seaman (1935-2008) was co-founder of the National Women's Health Network, and a pioneer in a new style of health reporting that focused on patient rights. Her groundbreaking investigative book, The Doctors' Case Against the Pill (1969), prompted Senate hearings in 1970 that led to a warning label on oral contraceptives and the drastic lowering of...more
More about Barbara Seaman...
The Greatest Experiment Ever Performed on Women: Exploding the Estrogen Myth (First Edition) The No-Nonsense Guide to Menopause Voices of the Women's Health Movement, Volume 2 The Doctor's Case Against The Pill Free and Female