Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud

Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  340 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Explosive, exhaustive and unsparing, the inside, tell-all story of the celebrated, long-term feud of Hollywood's two greatest screen legends, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

Published October 1st 2000 by Backinprint.com (first published November 15th 1989)

My Autobiography by Charles ChaplinFalling Waters by Gary D. HenryClara Bow by David StennLulu in Hollywood by Louise BrooksThe Parade's Gone By... by Kevin Brownlow
Best of Old Hollywood
29th out of 224 books — 54 voters
Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob LoweMe by Katharine HepburnNatasha by Suzanne FinstadSwanson on Swanson by Gloria SwansonNever Have Your Dog Stuffed by Alan Alda
Celebrity Biography
72nd out of 304 books — 124 voters

More lists with this book...

Samantha Glasser
Bette Davis and Joan Crawford were two of the biggest stars of their time, and their time lasted several decades. Each appeared in important movies and were staples of the golden age of Hollywood. Both worked for Warner Brothers for a time, made one (and a half) film(s) together, and both ended their careers in a series of cheap horror flicks. Perhaps it is because of these similarities that they seemed to have a rivalry, although they often ignored or denied its existence. This book examines th...more
James
This book is required reading at the National Organization for Offensive Gay Stereotypes (along with my previously reviewed Get Happy), but I didn’t just read it to get the free caftan. I have been obsessed with old Hollywood biographies for a while now, and had heard from several trusted sources that this was one of the best. Now that I’ve read it, I couldn’t agree more. The best biographies offer both juicy details and extensively researched facts, and this book is bursting at the seams with b...more
Jon
Wondrous, WONDROUS account of the lives and careers of these ladies. It's possible that some of the feelings depicted weren't precisely the way they are presented, but it's too much fun to discount any of it. It is gossipy, juicy, funny, catty... and also thorough. Fans of the stars will not be able to put it down and will laugh audibly at the remarks the ladies allegedly made through the years about each other.
Elise Swenson
This is great!!!! Not since the "The Hollywood Vampyres" has there been such an epoch book. This is a must read for anyone who loves old movies. I only gave it 4 stars because it was too short.
Kirsti
Vulgar, cruel, and without any redeeming social value. I enjoyed it immensely.
Claire
Much like the careers of both Bette and Joan, this book does not disappoint! If you are a fan of either actress as well as celebrity biographies then you will no doubt enjoy this book as much as I did. One of the things that makes this book so great is its dual perspective. Considine explores the complicated and often tense relationship of the two by profiling the intersections of their respective careers, and the book never loses focuses. Both Bette and Joan made as many films in as many years...more
Judi
This book is available free to Prime members on Kindle's lending library, so I downloaded it for my monthly "freebie" because of the positive reviews it received. If you are a fan of old Hollywood, and these ladies in particular, I highly recommend! Author Considine does a great job bringing you right into the middle of their antagonistic rivalry towards each other. Crawford, was the "star", and Davis, the "actress". The lengths these two went to cut the other down is more than entertaining-it's...more
Kimberly Rahi
"Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud," is a classic, catty tale. You can't believe everything you hear... or everything you read for that matter. Therefore, the same can be said for this book. Take it with a grain of salt, laugh at the foolishness of "two old broads" and relish the trip back in time when actors and actresses of the silver screen were in a class all their own.

Bette and Joan were leading ladies of the 1940's; unstoppable, the world in their palms and they knew it. The thought of shari...more
Sukie McFarland
Well first off, I'd like to make it clear that I'm marking this on the basis that it is a biography, so it's not really appropriate to compare to novels!
and now for gush:
I loved this book! It really brought me into the intricate, strange world of early Hollywood and these women's unusual lives. The realization that modern day Hollywood has no Divas to compare them to made me quite sad- they are truly something from a lost era. While I felt the book left something to be desired in terms of conclu...more
Maysie Porter
Bette Davis and Joan Crawford would have been two of the biggest actresses in the 1930s and 1940s but they never really got on. They had an ongoing feud. Joan wanted Bette in ways that disgusted Bette. It goes through their lives and how their lives interlinked in some ways.

I prefer Bette, Joan Crawford was too masculine for my liking and her acting is not very good. But they both did whatever happened to baby Jane together and when Bette was nominated for an oscar, Joan sabotaged it. Joan alway...more
Leo
Packed with fantastic, salacious anecdotes, this is everything a Bette and Joan fan could wish for.
Suzanne
I was able to borrow this from the Kindle Lending Library, and I am very happy with this selection. It is chock full of scoop and scandy from the Golden Age of Hollywood. While the focus is the Davis/Crawford feud, there are many stories of other actors, agents, stylists, etc. who had to face the wrath of these two indomitable women. I found much to love and loathe about the actresses, but found myself cheering for Bette Davis slightly more. Her quotes made me wish for a less PC Hollywood than w...more
Fulya
I laughed myself silly when I was reading some chapters! Both Joan and Bette are difficult people, I believe but Bette is worse. She's tough and unforgiving, she's a survivor. She's frank and quite direct. Joan is difficult in a different way, she can backstab you and can do it so elegantly! I don't believe some parts mentioned in the book, they can be pure Hollywood gossip. It was fun reading, it gave me a chance to monitor both of these wonderful women's lives. I think I love *itches, and beli...more
Rae
A gossipy, trashy, all-around fun read which details the film careers and relationships of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. The author includes plenty of anecdotes that illustrate their long-standing animosity and warped respect toward each other. The book also has lots of "inside" film information. I read this after watching Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and had to watch the movie again just for fun because of all the fun details included in the book.
Caroline Ward
I've owned this book for years it has always had pride of place in every bathroom of every home!! Goodness knows how many years later I still dip into it (especially at bathtime) every page is a story in itself and takes you back the that era of soft lighting and the evolution of the 'Diva'. It has led me to explore other biogs of actors around at that time.
Goose
Bette and Joan is great fun. You get seperate parts about each life and career but the most fun is when they were in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane together. All that went on during the shoot and afterwards and why Joan wasn't in Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte is why I bought this book, and it delivered. Real cattiness with some touching moments as well.
Christine Grant
Best book of all time! I read this for the first time as a teenager, then as a young adult, and many times as an adult. Also, the author is amazing with fans. He responded to one of my fan letters by fax (over a decade ago) and recently to an email after I purchased the ebook. If you love Bette and Joan you have to read this!
Gershom Chua
Fascinating comprehensive analysis on both stars' lives and careers. Although one discerns the writer may side with one star more than the other, the great things found throughout the read make it more than worthwhile tolerating. :) My second favorite book on Bette Davis after Mother Goddam :D
Ladywilde
In terms of sheer camp and just plain fun, this is one of my absolute favorite books on classic Hollywood. Full of a fun and interesting stories and bitchy one-liners, this is a must read! Especially if you are a fan of either or both of these fabulous women. Good stuff! Really entertaining!
Michele.medlin
i am lovin' this fricking ridiculous book

so - it's done & it was really great. those two dames were nuts. NUTS. who knows what was true. if you are interested in old Hollywood at all, give it a read. the last 1/4 was a bit long though.

OK BYE!
Amanda  Rae
A wonderfully researched romp through the lives of Joan and Bette - the highlights mainly. Some great side by side comparisons as to what was said by both of the ladies both in regards to each other and in regards to their lives in general.
leticia
Oct 04, 2008 leticia rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people who like old-timey hollywood gossip
Recommended to leticia by: e online. yes, really
Shelves: yay
Scandalous guilty pleasure reading, like eating an eclair at church. These women were insane, spiteful, and witty. Joan Crawford was a drunk obsessed with Pepsi, Bette Davis an egomaniac who also beat her kids, but funnier and a better actress.
Karla (Mossy Love Grotto)
There's no way that any book about these two crazy divas could be anything less than the equivalent of a big bowl of popcorn. Who knows how much is just backlot rumors and gossip, but it was sure fun to read.
Matthew Gallaway
Super entertaining and extensively researched book about the rise and fall of two Hollywood legends who never had much good to say about each other. Highly recommended for anyone interested in old Hollywood.
Deborah
Brilliant. A gritty tale of two big Actresses who didn't always see eye to eye, although I'm convinced they loved each other really. I don't know why it took me so long to read but I'd read it again.
Nancy
I liked it - but not enough to finish it. Two really interesting ladies and lots of Hollywood gossip. But it was just a "hard" read (small print, too much detail) and I couldn't hang.
Geneva
This was a fun read. Not particularly deep or meaningful, but it's always fun to read about real famous people who couldn't stand one another.
Ian
Hard to know how much is actually true and how much is Hollywood myth but for sheer entertainment value this is one helluva read.
Lorrie
Mar 20, 2008 Lorrie marked it as to-read
waiting for this book to arrive from Amazon. I can't wait to read it as Im a huge fan of both Bette Davis and Joan Crawford!
Christopher Lu
from my friend. It's really a good read. Seeing how these 2 gigantic Icons in Hollywood crush each other political way! Great!
  • The Girl Who Walked Home Alone: A Personal Biography of Bette Davis
  • Complicated Women: Sex and Power in Pre-Code Hollywood
  • This 'n That
  • Sin in Soft Focus: Pre-Code Hollywood
  • A Cast of Killers
Mad As Hell: The Life and Work of Paddy Chayefsky Barbara Streisand the Woman the Myth the Music The Oscar Letters Mad As Hell - The Life and Work of Paddy Chayefsky