Start by marking “Strange Highways” as Want to Read:
Strange Highways

Dean Koontz

Strange Highways

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  15,780 Ratings  ·  261 Reviews
In the stunning title story 'Strange Highways', a failed author returns to his hometown after many years to attend his father's funeral, only to find himself suddenly and inexplicably thrust back through time to relive a traumatic event from his past.

One rain-swept Sunday night when he was twenty years old, on his way back to college after a weekend with his family, Joey S
Published 1996 by Hodder & Stoughton Audio Books (first published May 1995)

Alejandro
A strong and solid, horror anthology!

The general rating is an average sum result of the individual ratings given to each novella and short story contained in the anthology.

All stories in this anthology are written by Dean Koontz.

STRANGE HIGHWAYS (novella)

Rating: ***** ( 5 stars )

…how can there be any redemption if I knowingly turn my back on evil and walk away from it?

This is the story who gives title to this anthology.

A man who has failed in anything that he ever tried, while his older br
Mike (the Paladin)
Yes! A 5 for a Koontz book! I really liked this odd little story.

Okay rereading for the Koontz group...I'll probably do a more extensive review after the discussion.

Originally I listened to an audio which had only the "title-title"...:). So now I have the book from the library and while I don't think each and every story measures up to Strange Highways, which is a favorite "novella", I still like the book. I plan to try and track it down (locally) and add it to my "home library."

I think I'll
Theresa Leone Davidson
I try not to give out five stars without really good reason, because in some way the book was outstanding, and this book of Koontz's short stories was outstanding and deserves the five star rating. Included are stories that deal with a bear with human intelligence (and a love for dancing), another about genetically altered rats, bigger than normal, more malevolent, and very smart, who trap a widow and her son in a farmhouse. One about a pumpkin that gives only what you deserve, as well as others ...more
Javi
Jul 01, 2015 Javi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dean Koontz Fans
" Strange Highways" is a collection of short stories by Dean Koontz and also the title of the first one of the bunch, a novella really, at almost 200 pages and the only one where the author explores themes in any depth. Basically it tells the story of a man who's given the chance to change his past and save a woman's life, and it all starts at a fork in the road. Who wouldn't identify with such a premise? What if....? This novella is far the best of the collection with the rest varying from medi ...more
Barbara
Satanism, deals with the devil, time travel, dysfunctional alcoholic - really? I was confused in the beginning of the book, and by the end dissatisfied. I won't be reading any more Dean Koontz. If I want horror (which I rarely indulge in), I'll read Stephen King.
Blake Bowers
Nov 18, 2009 Blake Bowers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a compilation of short stories published at different points during Dean Koontz's career.Here is a brief synopsis and review of each short story....

Strange Highways: This story starts out with the main character, Joey going back to the home town that he hasn't seen for 20 years to attend his father's funeral. This story flows very well and doesn't ever slow down, from the beginning to the end.
After attending his father's funeral Joey is haunted by some of the things he has done in h
Kris Franzen
Mar 21, 2008 Kris Franzen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Koontz's collection of short stories. They are all awesome and some are very funny. The best was a very short story of a girl and cats. A must read!
Quentin Wallace
Jul 23, 2014 Quentin Wallace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this collection I wonder why Dean Koontz doesn't write more short stories because he's very good at it. I like his novels as well, but this collection of shorter fiction is probably my favorite Koontz book. There's probably something for everyone in this collection, as the subject matter of the stories varies. I think the title story is the best in the collection and some of the stories are better than others, but overall I would recommend this to anyone who likes short horror stor ...more
Димитър Цолов
Подхванах и последната новела - "Здрач на разсъмване", на чието име е кръстен сборника. Хареса ми прочетеното дотук - разнообразни истории, обхващащи почти всичко от литературата с остър сюжет - и крими, и фантастика, и хорър - бива! Браво чичо Кунц!
Timothy Hicks
Strange Highways:

The beginning set up for this story was right up my alley... It had that eerie and expectant feeling you get when you watch a good Twilight Zone episode. Joey Shannon, a lowlife alcoholic, returns to the place he grew up, a near abandoned coal mining town, to bury his recently deceased father, whom he hasn't seen in 20 years. All the while some repressed memory, of one fateful night, two decades ago keeps coming back to the surface of his mind... Joey will finally get a second c
Stefanie
Jan 19, 2009 Stefanie rated it really liked it
This audio version is only the title story of Koontz's collection of short stories.

In Strange Highways our protagonist, Joey Shannon, lives in Las Vegas. When he runs out of money to buy liquor, he gets a job as a blackjack dealer until he has enough money to supply his addiction for awhile. Doesn’t particularly sound like someone you’re going to love by the end of the story, does he? But you will… or at least I did. In between drunken stupors, Joey laments over the shambles his life has become.
Jim
This was my first Dean Koontz read. This was mostly a good read.

The short-story collection was an easy in for me to sample his work. There was 1 novella's Strange Highways and Chase, i suspect is a novellette, about 50 pages. Some of the short-stories were great and some weren't. I enjoyed the afterward on Dean Koontz's writing and his support for short-stories.

The stories are very deep in Catholicism. Each story had great flow, it was easy to read, had clear descriptions, rich in page-turners,
Thee_ron_clark
Mar 25, 2008 Thee_ron_clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone.
This is a collection of short stories and novelettes by Dean koontz. I must say that I enjoyed every story in it, some more than others. At first, I was puzzled by the numerous mentions of the Vietnam War until I discovered that some of the stories were written in the 60's. For those looking to experience Dean Koontz as an author, but not wanting to dive directly into a lengthier book this is a great choice.
Charles
Jul 16, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a collection of Koontz's shorter stuff, along with a novella. It's very good. I don't think there's a clinker in the bunch.
Dustin
Aug 31, 2014 Dustin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dustin by: Holly

As many of you know, I'm not really a fan of Koontz's more recent work, but I've loved most of his earlier writings and this collection certainly qualifies.
John
STRANGE HIGHWAYS is Koontz's first (and only) short story collection since SOFT COME THE DRAGONS came out in 1970 when Koontz was just 25 years old. Koontz is always very hit-and-miss with me, so it's no surprise I found STRANGE HIGHWAYS a mixed bag, especially since some of these stories date back to the early 70's, when Koontz was known for writing sci-fi rather than horror.

STRANGE HIGHWAYS (4 stars):

The book's titular novella starts things off with a bang. Koontz is a genius at using speculat
Drea Hart
May 15, 2010 Drea Hart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

So much dislike. So. Much. I wrote this review ages ago and it still holds true:

So, I finished Everything's Eventual and I have to say I was quite pleased, as usual, with the varied subjects and...you know...King-ness stuff. The real problems began when I realized that if I went out and bought a new book I would be hacking into my Christmas list. If left to their own devices and not provided a detailed list my family will buy me clothes or ::::shudder:::: feel good movies on DVD. You can see th
Maciek
This is Koontz's only collection of short fiction, composed of the titular novella and twelve short tales (The US edition also includes another novella, "Chase").

The novella is perhaps the best of the whole bunch; mostly because it's almost 200 pages long and simply has enough time and space to provide for an interesting plot. A strange occurence offers a man a chance to change his past; it's a formulaic Koontz tale, but strong enough reading to sustain interest and keep the suspense throughout
Fred
Mar 06, 2015 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
1. Srange Highways - P.J. Shannon chases his younger brother, Joey, and Celeste Baker (girl found at his empty dad's grave, Dan Shannon). Coal Valley Road in Pittsburg. P.J. coal mining has killed many families & 3 are left in Coal Valley. P.J. is Judas, the Betrayer, 13th apostle..... Joey & Celeste are chased with a final death(s) at St. Thomas concerned with the P.J.'s flame of Judas. Chase scenes are long and some seemed to repeat...

2. The Black Pumpkin - A elderly crazy sculptor car
Jeff Richey
Strange Highways was my first experience reading Dean Koontz. I found that I enjoyed his writing style. Strange Highways is a collection that consists of fourteen short stories. Some of the stories are definitely better than others. I began reading Strange Highways by reading the shortest of the stories in the collection first, and then working my way up to the longer stories. When you begin, don’t let the shortness of the story Kittens fool you, though. I was shocked and disturbed by that very ...more
Emily
Mar 10, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I just finished rereading this collection of short stories by Dean Koontz and it just reminds me of how much better I feel his earlier writing is. While some stories were better than others there wasn't a bad apple in the bunch. Kittens is still my fave, I have a deep need for justice and it was served here in a most disturbing way. I loved Chase, the Black Pumpkin, Trapped, Strange Highways, and Twilight of the Dawn. All so different. My least favorite was Ollie's Hands, I just found it stiflin ...more
Brandon Burrup
This was my first Dean Koontz novel and it may be my last. Wasn't terrible by any means but I was expecting a lot more based on the reviews and ratings I saw online. The bizarre jumps in the logic from Joey along the way were distracting and kept pulling me out of the story. I found the book way too full of cliches as well that just frustrated me and kept me from enjoying what could have been an interesting story. Had the author spent a little more time on giving PJ a more believable motive rath ...more
Tom Mueller
A short story collection of mostly early Koontz ("Kittens" was originally published in 1966; the first Dean ever sold commercially, while still in college). Two short novels are included; "Strange Highways" (first published here) and "Chase" (earlier published under his psuedonym, K.R. Dwyer). I like to become as familiar as I can with an author I'm a fan of, and that includes getting to know the author's early work. I like seeing the progression of the author's craft, character and story develo ...more
Samyann
Read by Jeff Cummings, Strange Highway is just over six hours of listening. Typical of Dean Koontz this story is hide-under-the-covers scary stuff. The plot is intriguing. A guy is stuck in a time warp, initially bouncing back to his youth to right some wrongs. I don’t usually even purchase books less than ten hours in length, and actually purchased Strange Highway simply because it’s a Koontz. Good story.

The reader is a teeny bit intense for my taste, but whatever. It’s an intense, spooky tale
Jerrod Carter
Oct 28, 2014 Jerrod Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I didn't know what to expect since I hadn't ever read a Dean Koontz novel before, but I know I wasn't expecting this. I wasn't sure where he was going with it for a while, but liked where it went. It was a little bit predictable in that I was usually anticipating things about two chapters ahead, but he threw in a few twists at the end that had me surprised. I liked it and will probably read another of his books before it's all over. Dude has written a lot of books!
Jeff Yrmom
Jul 10, 2007 Jeff Yrmom added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jerks
That's right. No stars. Not because this is a particularly bad book, but because I'm selecting it to represent ALL Dean Koontz books. He sucks. Plain and simple. I could write better stories accidently while cleaning up a Scrabble game. This jerk can write an entire chapter on the color of the kitchen cabinets. Honestly, who's he writing to, Martha Stewart worshippers?
Kevin Lake
Sorry folks, but I just don't like Koontz' writing style. Too repetitive, his characters are cardboard cutouts to whom he attributes the same speech patterns to all. I've read half a dozen of his works now and the only one that I found remotely worth the time was "Lightning."
Aaron
Feb 27, 2012 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a few quality short stories in this collection. 'Chase' is the only real snoozer in the bunch and 'Bruno' is too silly to stomach. Loved "Twilight of the Dawn," "The Black Pumpkin," and "Down in the Darkness."
Keith
Jul 28, 2015 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Overall this was an enjoyable collection of stories.

Includes: Strange Highways, Miss Atilla the Hun, We Three, The Night of the Storm, Bruno, Hardshell, Snatcher, Kittens, Chase, Ollie's Hands, The Black Pumpkin, Down in the Darkness, Twilight of the Dawn and Trapped.
Kate
Dean Koontz's short stories don't quite rival those of Stephen King, but they were very good. I liked the one called "Kittens."
  • The Voice of the Night
  • Fear that Man / Toyman (Ace Double, 23140)
  • Dragonfly
  • Cropper's Cabin
  • Dance with the Devil
  • Fountain Society
  • The Dean Koontz Companion

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

“Darkness dwells within even the best of us. In the worst of us, darkness not only dwells but reins.” 59 likes