Start by marking “Strange Highways” as Want to Read:
Strange Highways

Dean Koontz

Strange Highways

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  12,641 ratings  ·  189 reviews
In the stunning title story 'Strange Highways', a failed author returns to his hometown after many years to attend his father's funeral, only to find himself suddenly and inexplicably thrust back through time to relive a traumatic event from his past.

One rain-swept Sunday night when he was twenty years old, on his way back to college after a weekend with his family, Joey S
Published 1996 by Hodder & Stoughton Audio Books (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Strange Highways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Highways

Theresa Leone Davidson
I try not to give out five stars without really good reason, because in some way the book was outstanding, and this book of Koontz's short stories was outstanding and deserves the five star rating. Included are stories that deal with a bear with human intelligence (and a love for dancing), another about genetically altered rats, bigger than normal, more malevolent, and very smart, who trap a widow and her son in a farmhouse. One about a pumpkin that gives only what you deserve, as well as others ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Yes! A 5 for a Koontz book! I really liked this odd little story.

Okay rereading for the Koontz group...I'll probably do a more extensive review after the discussion.

Originally I listened to an audio which had only the "title-title"...:). So now I have the book from the library and while I don't think each and every story measures up to Strange Highways, which is a favorite "novella", I still like the book. I plan to try and track it down (locally) and add it to my "home library."

I think I'll
Barbara
Satanism, deals with the devil, time travel, dysfunctional alcoholic - really? I was confused in the beginning of the book, and by the end dissatisfied. I won't be reading any more Dean Koontz. If I want horror (which I rarely indulge in), I'll read Stephen King.
Quentin Wallace
After reading this collection I wonder why Dean Koontz doesn't write more short stories because he's very good at it. I like his novels as well, but this collection of shorter fiction is probably my favorite Koontz book. There's probably something for everyone in this collection, as the subject matter of the stories varies. I think the title story is the best in the collection and some of the stories are better than others, but overall I would recommend this to anyone who likes short horror stor ...more
Kris Franzen
This is Koontz's collection of short stories. They are all awesome and some are very funny. The best was a very short story of a girl and cats. A must read!
Stefanie
This audio version is only the title story of Koontz's collection of short stories.

In Strange Highways our protagonist, Joey Shannon, lives in Las Vegas. When he runs out of money to buy liquor, he gets a job as a blackjack dealer until he has enough money to supply his addiction for awhile. Doesn’t particularly sound like someone you’re going to love by the end of the story, does he? But you will… or at least I did. In between drunken stupors, Joey laments over the shambles his life has become.
Blake Bowers
This book is a compilation of short stories published at different points during Dean Koontz's career.Here is a brief synopsis and review of each short story....

Strange Highways: This story starts out with the main character, Joey going back to the home town that he hasn't seen for 20 years to attend his father's funeral. This story flows very well and doesn't ever slow down, from the beginning to the end.
After attending his father's funeral Joey is haunted by some of the things he has done in h
Jim
This was my first Dean Koontz read. This was mostly a good read.

The short-story collection was an easy in for me to sample his work. There was 1 novella's Strange Highways and Chase, i suspect is a novellette, about 50 pages. Some of the short-stories were great and some weren't. I enjoyed the afterward on Dean Koontz's writing and his support for short-stories.

The stories are very deep in Catholicism. Each story had great flow, it was easy to read, had clear descriptions, rich in page-turners,
Thee_ron_clark
Apr 15, 2008 Thee_ron_clark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone.
This is a collection of short stories and novelettes by Dean koontz. I must say that I enjoyed every story in it, some more than others. At first, I was puzzled by the numerous mentions of the Vietnam War until I discovered that some of the stories were written in the 60's. For those looking to experience Dean Koontz as an author, but not wanting to dive directly into a lengthier book this is a great choice.
Charles
This is a collection of Koontz's shorter stuff, along with a novella. It's very good. I don't think there's a clinker in the bunch.
Maciek
This is Koontz's only collection of short fiction, composed of the titular novella and twelve short tales (The US edition also includes another novella, "Chase").

The novella is perhaps the best of the whole bunch; mostly because it's almost 200 pages long and simply has enough time and space to provide for an interesting plot. A strange occurence offers a man a chance to change his past; it's a formulaic Koontz tale, but strong enough reading to sustain interest and keep the suspense throughout
Drea Hart

So much dislike. So. Much. I wrote this review ages ago and it still holds true:

So, I finished Everything's Eventual and I have to say I was quite pleased, as usual, with the varied subjects and...you know...King-ness stuff. The real problems began when I realized that if I went out and bought a new book I would be hacking into my Christmas list. If left to their own devices and not provided a detailed list my family will buy me clothes or ::::shudder:::: feel good movies on DVD. You can see th
Jeff
Strange Highways was my first experience reading Dean Koontz. I found that I enjoyed his writing style. Strange Highways is a collection that consists of fourteen short stories. Some of the stories are definitely better than others. I began reading Strange Highways by reading the shortest of the stories in the collection first, and then working my way up to the longer stories. When you begin, don’t let the shortness of the story Kittens fool you, though. I was shocked and disturbed by that very ...more
Jerrod Carter
Well, I didn't know what to expect since I hadn't ever read a Dean Koontz novel before, but I know I wasn't expecting this. I wasn't sure where he was going with it for a while, but liked where it went. It was a little bit predictable in that I was usually anticipating things about two chapters ahead, but he threw in a few twists at the end that had me surprised. I liked it and will probably read another of his books before it's all over. Dude has written a lot of books!
Dustin
Aug 31, 2014 Dustin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dustin by: Holly

As many of you know, I'm not really a fan of Koontz's more recent work, but I've loved most of his earlier writings and this collection certainly qualifies.
Jeff Yrmom
Jul 10, 2007 Jeff Yrmom added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jerks
That's right. No stars. Not because this is a particularly bad book, but because I'm selecting it to represent ALL Dean Koontz books. He sucks. Plain and simple. I could write better stories accidently while cleaning up a Scrabble game. This jerk can write an entire chapter on the color of the kitchen cabinets. Honestly, who's he writing to, Martha Stewart worshippers?
Jim C
This is a collection of short stories and novellas from Dean Koontz. Length of these stories differ from 6 pages to over a hundred pages. I believe with any collection of stories my rating will most likely be three stars. I find that there will be stories I really enjoy and some that I do not. I hope the number of stories I enjoy will be more than the ones I do not like. This was the case with this collection.

This collection had stories ranging from a second chance for redemption to genetic enha
Kevin Lake
Sorry folks, but I just don't like Koontz' writing style. Too repetitive, his characters are cardboard cutouts to whom he attributes the same speech patterns to all. I've read half a dozen of his works now and the only one that I found remotely worth the time was "Lightning."
Brandon Burrup
This was my first Dean Koontz novel and it may be my last. Wasn't terrible by any means but I was expecting a lot more based on the reviews and ratings I saw online. The bizarre jumps in the logic from Joey along the way were distracting and kept pulling me out of the story. I found the book way too full of cliches as well that just frustrated me and kept me from enjoying what could have been an interesting story. Had the author spent a little more time on giving PJ a more believable motive rath ...more
Kate
Dean Koontz's short stories don't quite rival those of Stephen King, but they were very good. I liked the one called "Kittens."
Lakota Schultz
I have read this book about 5 times, but hadn't read it for about 6 years, and oh my, if forgotten how good it was!!
This was written in my favourite Koontz publication years, and is full of suspense and mystery without being boring or nonsensical or full of random quotes like the Odd series.

This has a thrilling edge, a shockingly bad bad guy, a fallen hero, and a very cool but enigmatic heroine..... But not as weird as his newer stuff.

It's made me want to go back and read the rest of my 80's and
Rose fell
This is the book that started it all for me!!! A must read...but keep the light on...you've been warned!
Charity
Note: This was the audio version of the short story Strange Highways and not the book Strange Highways which is a collection of short stories, including the title story.

This story was weak for me. I knew where it was headed and the outcome much earlier than I think was intended. Also, it seemingly out of nowhere turned into a religious good vs. evil story. And really, I think that the revelation the girl brings up at the end of the story is something she should have brought up when Joey is tryi
Lyricsninja
Strange is definitely the way to describe this Dean Koontz novel. Though that being said, it’s not out of character for his general writing style. Time travel elements (in for them of time rewinding to be replayed) are interesting when mixed with the idea that if you have to do the same thing over and over, the window of opportunity shrinks. However some of the murder / satanic portions are kind of off-putting, and the connection between the main character and his female lead was all too conveni ...more
Sharleen Harlow
Oh my God. What have I been doing all of my life? Why on earth have I not read Dean Koontz before?? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME??? *Bangs head repeatedly against brick wall*.

When I have read books of short stories before, I have always thoroughly enjoyed them, but there have been one or two 'dud' stories. Oh no. Not here. Every single story was brilliant!!

I swear that my boyfriend thinks I'm turning onto a fish with the amount of time I've spent with my mouth hanging wide open and gasping!!

Five star
Kristin
This book has one of the best short stories I have ever read in it.
Samyann Samyann
Read by Jeff Cummings, Strange Highway is just over six hours of listening. Typical of Dean Koontz this story is hide-under-the-covers scary stuff. The plot is intriguing. A guy is stuck in a time warp, initially bouncing back to his youth to right some wrongs. I don’t usually even purchase books less than ten hours in length, and actually purchased Strange Highway simply because it’s a Koontz. Good story.

The reader is a teeny bit intense for my taste, but whatever. It’s an intense, spooky tale
Trisha
Johnny
Nikki
Instead of a novel, Koontz presents us with short stories and novellas in this edition of his work. I have never read anything of his that wasn't a full length novel and had no idea of what I was picking up when I grabbed this to read. I like to kind of walk into books without knowing too much about them so I can discover them with no pre-conceived notions, as long as they are from an author I have read before. Since I have read numerous other Koontz books, I thought I knew what I was getting in ...more
  • The House of Thunder
  • The Rip-Off
  • Nightmare Journey
  • Fountain Society
  • Children of the Storm
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood, #5)
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms

“Darkness dwells within even the best of us. In the worst of us, darkness not only dwells but reins.” 43 likes