Start by marking “What to Cook When You Think There's Nothing in the House to Eat: More Than 175 Recipes and Meal Ideas” as Want to Read:

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Hardcover with 275 pages - approx size: 7 3/4 x 9 1/2" - This is the book for folks who like to eat well but may be a little lazy about traveling to the store on a rainy Sunday afternoon; to tired to stop at the market after work; or just to frugal not to use what's on hand. Pasta, beans, canned tuna and sardines, eggs, cheese, milk-all these foods even indifferent houseke ...more
Published January 1st 1992 by Harper Perennial

Be the first to ask a question about What to Cook When You Think There's Nothing in the House to Eat

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Glad I only paid 50 cents for this because I don't feel it's worth the full cover price. After the introduction, each chapter is an alphabetical listing of standard pantry ingredients. Each ingredient is given a short history along with storage tips. This part was interesting. Then it gave several recipes using that ingredient. Most recipes I wouldn't cook so won't keep this book as a reference cookbook.
Kai Sousa
Jul 07, 2009 Kai Sousa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-cooking
Best basic cook book ever! It has never once failed me.
Sandra
May 29, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fun to read just to read. Being a someone who loves to cook, I have never been so ill provisioned that I had naught but peanut butter and spaghetti to make dinner out of, but some of the 'bare pantry' recipes in this book are interesting enough to try them even if you have a house full of ingredients. I enjoyed it enough to read it more than once and have bought copies for other foodie friends that can enjoy the humor without needing it to be a cooking classic.
Nita
Feb 28, 2013 Nita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking-and-food
Excellent book to teach the basics of cooking, storing ingredients, and stocking the pantry. Good gift for newlyweds and college bound kids. This book is how I learned to cook.
Cindy
Aug 17, 2008 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning cooks
Shelves: cookbooks
I used this a lot more when I was just married. Now with 3 kids in the house, I am more organized. Recommended for beginners or non-cooks.
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Paula Marshall
Paula Marshall marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
Apr 29, 2016
Charlotte Fraser
Charlotte Fraser marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Joshua
Joshua added it
Apr 12, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Taskesen
Taskesen rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Jennifer Sardam
Jennifer Sardam marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Bri
Bri added it
Oct 21, 2015
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
gina m papa
gina m papa rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Janine
Janine rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Gail
Gail rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2015
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Tom And
Tom And marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Demetreus
Demetreus rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Julie Lapolito
Julie Lapolito marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2014