Start by marking “What to Cook When You Think There's Nothing in the House to Eat: More Than 175 Recipes and Meal Ideas” as Want to Read:

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Hardcover with 275 pages - approx size: 7 3/4 x 9 1/2" - This is the book for folks who like to eat well but may be a little lazy about traveling to the store on a rainy Sunday afternoon; to tired to stop at the market after work; or just to frugal not to use what's on hand. Pasta, beans, canned tuna and sardines, eggs, cheese, milk-all these foods even indifferent houseke ...more
Published January 1st 1992 by Harper Perennial

Be the first to ask a question about What to Cook When You Think There's Nothing in the House to Eat

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Glad I only paid 50 cents for this because I don't feel it's worth the full cover price. After the introduction, each chapter is an alphabetical listing of standard pantry ingredients. Each ingredient is given a short history along with storage tips. This part was interesting. Then it gave several recipes using that ingredient. Most recipes I wouldn't cook so won't keep this book as a reference cookbook.
Kai Sousa
Best basic cook book ever! It has never once failed me.
Sandra
This book is fun to read just to read. Being a someone who loves to cook, I have never been so ill provisioned that I had naught but peanut butter and spaghetti to make dinner out of, but some of the 'bare pantry' recipes in this book are interesting enough to try them even if you have a house full of ingredients. I enjoyed it enough to read it more than once and have bought copies for other foodie friends that can enjoy the humor without needing it to be a cooking classic.
Nita
Excellent book to teach the basics of cooking, storing ingredients, and stocking the pantry. Good gift for newlyweds and college bound kids. This book is how I learned to cook.
Cindy
Aug 17, 2008 Cindy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning cooks
Shelves: cookbooks
I used this a lot more when I was just married. Now with 3 kids in the house, I am more organized. Recommended for beginners or non-cooks.
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Smiley Dips
Smiley Dips marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Autumn
Autumn added it
Apr 08, 2014
Brandy
Brandy added it
Jun 04, 2014
Dalton
Dalton marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Lisa Wright
Lisa Wright marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Andria
Andria added it
Apr 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking: Yiddish Recipes Revisited Naples at Table : Cooking in Campania Arthur Schwartz's New York City Food: An Opinionated History and More Than 100 Legendary Recipes The Southern Italian Table: Authentic Tastes from Traditional Kitchens Soup Suppers: More Than 100 Main-Course Soups and 40 Accompaniments