Start by marking “Art Fundamentals: Theory and Practice” as Want to Read:
Art Fundamentals: Theory and Practice

Art Fundamentals: Theory and Practice

The original text that set the standard for introduction to art courses across the country, "Art Fundamentals" has guided generations of students through the essential elements of art as well as the rich and varied history of their uses. This eleventh edition has been carefully revised to expand and clarify concepts throughout the text, while adding new material on ...more
Published December 3rd 2008 by McGraw-Hill Humanities/Social Sciences/Languages (first published December 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Art Fundamentals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art Fundamentals

Roberto
Feb 18, 2014 Roberto rated it really liked it
Great reference book for art students and anybody interested in art and its appreciation. After reading this book, I have a better understanding of the fundamentals of art. In turn, I feel able to discern works of art, that I may no be particularly fond of, and appreciate them. It also clarifies art movements’ historic significance in relationship to art/design/culture today, without stuffy explanations or jaded examples. The layout is clean and easy to read and the illustrations are relevant ...more
Rebecca
Copyright 1998. I've kept this book near my art stuff for years, thinking I'll use it as a reference, since it really is a good look at the fundamentals. I need reminders of fundamentals. This book is a portable, readable size, whereas most art history books tend to be doorstops. Mostly full-color interior, lovely margins and white space, and good font size. Note to self: look up a more recent version.
Christøpher Es
Apr 14, 2013 Christøpher Es rated it liked it
This is the book they apparently HAVE to sell you if you walk into the kcad bookstore and say anything along the lines of, "I'm a Kendall Freshmen."

This is also the book that steers most Kendall Sophmores away from buying college text books.

This and the history books.

And those useless ass books the "art education" program makes their students buy.
نورة وليد
Feb 20, 2016 نورة وليد rated it really liked it
A great source to understand art! I highly recommend it for art students/ people who are interested in how to read a piece of art and to know what to see exactly in a painting/sculpture..etc..

The sad thing is that I borrowed the book from my university library so I can't go back to it whenever I need something.
I think its a kind of a book that you should keep in your own library.
Jeremy Patton
Sep 07, 2011 Jeremy Patton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-books
I had to buy this book for college for my general art studio classes. I still use it today in my own classrooms to teach Middle School and High School students the "fundamentals" of understanding art basics and theory / history.
Janessa
Janessa rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Nightwatcher
Nightwatcher rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Alexis Layton
Alexis Layton rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Gareth
Gareth rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Nar Ganbaatar
Nar Ganbaatar rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2014
Patrizia Viselli
Patrizia Viselli rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2013
Anne Michele
Anne Michele rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2014
Panoramaisland
Panoramaisland rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2011
Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2013
Melanie Stinson
Melanie Stinson rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2012
Alyssa Markley
Alyssa Markley rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Dennis
Dennis rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2014
Tesia Blackburn
Tesia Blackburn rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Sreedharan N
Sreedharan N rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
Effatina
Effatina rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2012
Deirdre Giddy
Deirdre Giddy rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Rhonda Stephens
Two-dimensional design class. Wasn't my favorite, but I learned to appreciate it over time
Kawa Svaha
Jan 28, 2014 Kawa Svaha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 14
I suddenly realised what to look for in art.
Cynthia Mcgowan
Cynthia Mcgowan rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
DeeRich
DeeRich rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2016
Megan Macdonald
Megan Macdonald rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Kara Dahl
Kara Dahl rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Modern Art: painting, sculpture, architecture, photography
  • Design Basics
  • A Short Guide to Writing About Art (The Short Guide Series)
  • Reading Egyptian Art: A Hieroglyphic Guide to Ancient Egyptian Painting and Sculpture
  • Art and Symbols of the Occult: Images of Power and Wisdom
  • A Type Primer
  • Altars: Bringing Sacred Shrines into Your Everyday Life
  • The Mac is Not a Typewriter
  • Essays on the Blurring of Art and Life
  • Treasures of Tutankhamun: National Gallery of Art, Field Museum of Natural History & the University of Chicago, New Orleans Museum of Art
  • The Pagan Book of Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Typography Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Using Type in Graphic Design