Start by marking “The Master's Apprentice” as Want to Read:
The Master's Apprentice

The Master's Apprentice

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  7 reviews
When Marco is sent into apprenticeship with the young master, Michelangelo Buonarroti, much rides on his success. His father has worked very hard as a chemist so that Marco can have a better life, and the boy simply cannot let his family down. Armed with good advice, but more importantly, secret color formulas that his father has taught him, the boy has a good chance at su ...more
Published March 11th 2008 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about The Master's Apprentice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Master's Apprentice

Woody Calhoon
I really enjoyed getting the chance to read this picture book. The art in the book is very nice and very distinctive which, I suppose, is appropriate considering the main plot revolves around two apprentice's competing for the right to be Michelangelo's top apprentice. As for the story, it is simple, but well done. I feel children would have a fun time reading it, but I would suggest they read it themselves as it is just a tad too long to be read aloud in a class.
Hillary
ART FANS UNITE! This is a fantastic book not only for teaching about the Renaissance art period, but also about Michelangelo and his personality, as well as the culture during his time. It shows great examples of perseverance and loyalty. I personally loved this book because it was so creative and the artwork was stunning.
Spencer
The story takes place in Italy which was cool since I've been there before. The lesson and morals learned were nice. Happy ending for the main character. It raised some questions as to the truth of the story, which is good because it encourages research. Overall I thought it was a great book.
Rachel
Cute story about a boy who's father is a chemist, the people who mixed the colors for painters back in the day. Marco is chosen as a junior apprentice to Michelangelo while he is still in Florence and working on the cartoon for "The Battle of Anghiari" which he started and so did Da Vinci, though neither of them finished it. When Marco arrives in Florence, he is greated by Ridolfo, another junior apprentice who despises him and delights in getting Marco in trouble with "Il Divino". However, when ...more
Ashley Whiteley
It is an interesting story. The book is really long though, and might be too long to read in a group setting. I feel like it is a book meant for reading to oneself. The story is nothing like you would expect.The art work is beautiful. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A young apprentice to the great painter and sculptor Michelangelo tries to find a way to please his master by using the knowledge of mixing paints taught to him by his father. I liked this story for the interesting insight into the character of Michelangelo. It's a shame that the frescoes to be created by Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci on opposite walls of the same building were never completed. What a spectacle that would have made!
Brittany & Kids
Story about a boy who is Michelangelo's apprentice. Beautiful illustrations.
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Rhonda
Rhonda added it
Dec 03, 2013
Picasso: Soul on Fire Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) Little Dog Moon Tchaikovsky Discovers America Jeremiah Learns To Read