Start by marking “Tangled Webs (The Black Jewels #6)” as Want to Read:
Tangled Webs (The Black Jewels #6)

Tangled Webs (The Black Jewels #6)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,436 Ratings  ·  248 Reviews
The invitation is signed ?Jaenelle Angelline,? and it summons her family to a special soirée. But when her guests enter the house, they find themselves trapped in a living nightmare created by the Black Widow witches?and if they try to use Craft as protection, they risk being sealed in the house forever.

But Jaenelle did not send the invitation. And now she and the rest of
Published March 3rd 2009 by Roc (first published March 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tangled Webs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tangled Webs

Vilda
Another wonderful installment to what's become one of my absolute favorite series. I just cannot seem to get enough of this world, but especially the characters. I've come to love every single one--human as well as Kindred--and I want so much more of them. I love when I fall so completely in love with the characters in a story.

I'm a bit sad to see that the next two features different main characters, but I'm very much hoping they'll live up to the rest of the books and these characters! To anyo
Ashley
May 01, 2008 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Black Jewels Trilogy
Shelves: fantasy, not-my-copy
This book is a kind-of-but-not-really sequel to the trilogy in that it takes place after it, and I don't recommend reading it unless you've read the Black Jewels Trilogy. Obviously, it's not set on such an epic scale. The "plot" itself sounds rather silly: Surreal and her escort get trapped in a deadly(!) "spooky house" that was set up by a pompous writer who wants to get revenge on the SaDiablo family, and so, of course, Daemon and Lucivar have to do their "Evil Twin* Powers! Activate!" routine ...more
Dangermousie
This book will likely make little sense to anyone who hasn't read and loved the Black Jewels Trilogy but to someone, like me, who was obsessed with those books, this is a delicious treat.

Tbh, I view all the books Bishop wrote in the Jewels world after the Trilogy ended as the best kind of fanfiction - glimpses into the life of characters I feel too attached to part with even if I pick and choose what to insert into 'my' canon.

The plot is kinda slim - Surreal gets menaced by a creepy homicidal h
Yui
May 15, 2011 Yui rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike the previous books this one doesn't have a complicated plot. It was actually quite silly and very used. Some crazy man thinks too much of himself and his arrogance and sense of self superiority lead him to take unreasonable revenge to the most powerful family in all realm. If you've read the first trilogy (not necessary to enjoy this particular book) you'll actually sympathize with the villain since it's painfully obvious what would happen to him once his own game caught up with him. I ne ...more
valee
Jul 27, 2014 valee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I actually read this book thinking it was the 5th book in the series. I guess the fact that I never realized I had skipped a book without noticing, even after I was done, says a lot...THIS BOOK WAS REALLY BAD. While I adored the original trilogy, I felt like I wanted to tear every single page off. The plot was terrible, exactly like a Jigsaw movie but for all audiences, really depressing. No content at all, everything was terribly shallow and superficial. I just didn't care for anything that was ...more
Jessica
Apr 29, 2008 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Anything after The Black Jewels trilogy will seem completely inconsequential in comparison. After all, what's left to do after you've already killed all the bad guys and saved the world? This book serves as a sharp reminder that even though all the bad guys are gone, that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't still problems in society, ie. neglected orphans, subpar schools, random psycho weirdos.

The plot here was subpar, I felt. There's a line from Surreal in the beginning of the book:

She clappe
Karina
Feb 28, 2008 Karina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Anne Bishop's skill with words rivals her characters' skill with magic: she weaves beautifully compelling characters and stories that enchant the mind and leave you wanting more.

And as those of you who have read my other reviews know, I rarely rave this much about an author, but Anne Bishop is my favorite by far.

When I happened upon book one of the Black Jewels trilogy, which Tangled Webs is sort of a sequel to, I could not put it down, ran out to buy the next two the very next day, and read eve
Amanda
Michelle
Bishop tells us right up front in this book that "the big battle has been won, the big tale has been told," and that this is just a day-in-the-life-of sort of story. which is to say 2 very obvious things: 1)don't start here, 2)it's nowhere near as good as the books that *did* tell the big story.

but you knew that, thanks to the handy disclaimer up front. you don't particularly mind though (those of us who loved those previous entries, anyway), since Bishop is absolutely *killer* at characterizat
Kara-karina
Oct 15, 2014 Kara-karina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this was different! Surreal and Rainier were the main characters of the book but Daemon, Lucivar and Jaenelle weren't left far behind. This book is a perfect Halloween read, peeps! It involves an evil house designed to trap and kill SaDiablo family and their very gory struggle to stay alive and destroy this house. Chilly, scary and very intense, this was a fantastic read!
Miss Ginny Tea
Blah. Surreal as a damsel in distress struggling to survive until The Men can come rescue her. Blah. Sure, she's stronger than the man with her, but he's gay, so it doesn't count. I'm all for exploring the awesome relationship between Saetan, Daemon, and Lucivar, but to kill 20 women and children to set up the premise and then recast Surreal as a (damaged) damsel in distress just sucks.

Gee, I wonder if Bishop's working on a book in which Surreal meets a strong warlord who thinks her past is awes
Tom
Nov 24, 2013 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though it wasn't the most intense book of the series I still really liked it! I started this in September and got side tracked. I wish I would have finished it then because this is a great Halloween read and would be a great time to pimp this book to lovers of the series. Janelle and Marian want to start a haunted house and things start going reallly wrong. It was more like a social visit to the world for most of the book until Lucivar stepped up to show who was boss and then the intensity ...more
Cornelia
Apr 12, 2015 Cornelia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Heather
Mar 25, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had an extremely different feel to it than the rest of the Black Jewels books have had. It reads like the literary equivalent of the ‘special Halloween episode’. That gave it the feel of an interlude episode, and perhaps contributed to the lack of deep emotional connection. That shows how deep and emotional the other books get, because this isn’t exactly light reading. There are children in danger, and Bishop doesn’t spare children from the darkness of her tales.

The room-to-room search
Kaci
Aug 22, 2009 Kaci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne-bishop
What a spectacular visit back to the world of the black jewels! Ms. Bishop's best work is without a doubt her Black Jewels series and this long await return does not disappoint.

Trapped in a web of danger created by Jarvis Jenkell, Surreal and Rainier try to escape, while guarding the children, they unknowingly brought into the web with them.

Forced to work from outside the web to rescue Surreal and Rainier, Lucifier, Daemon, and Janelle race against a mad man to save them.
Evanne Lorraine
Jan 28, 2016 Evanne Lorraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was plenty dark for me, but as always a delight to spend time with these characters in this world.
Christina
Took me nearly 4 weeks to read this. It was interesting, but I couldn't help thinking the characters were a little OOC and that put me off. But I did enjoy it, at times it even sort of creeped me out :) Definitely not in league with the Black Jewels trilogy though.
Mary
Jun 09, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
More dark fantasy from Anne Bishop. I love the Black Jewels set. The main plot is about Surreal and Rainier trapped in a spooky house layered with Black Widow spells and dangerous killers. Jarvis Jenkell is a writer who set the whole thing up as a trap for Surreal, Daemon and Lucivar.

My favorite parts of the book are little glimpses into favorite characters from previous books. Daemon and Janelle at home. Lucivar and Marion at home. Lucivar with Deamonar his son. And Daemon and Lucivar interact
Greydrakkon
Ubiquitousbastard

Okay, maybe it's nostalgia, but I found this book highly readable despite its obvious faults. It was an easy read, comfortable in a way, and just...I don't know...it jives with the younger, more innocent me.
Lisa
Mar 11, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a ton of fun and is an example of a book doing a great job of being itself to perfection - it didn't wander off in strange directions and really embraced the fun and creepiness of the haunted/spooky house.

Best read after the main Black Jewels trilogy and more a fun side story/revisiting of beloved characters than a major plot builder. But when done well, I really love books like that - Bishop gets to play around a bit and be really creative and bit silly without worrying too much about
Cayleigh
Oct 10, 2014 Cayleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
This isn't one of my top books for the Black Jewel Series, but it's rating got bumped up from 3 to a 4 star because the last 1/4 of the book has a lot of Lucivar Yaslana and Tersa. They are my favorites in this series.

Sadi is one of my other favorites and I feel he and Jaenelle get a bit pigeon-holed in one-dimension in these other books. I prefer them in the first three. Still, great series if you've never read the Black Jewel Series Daughter of the Blood, Heir to Shadows, Queen of the Darknes
Jessica
Mar 29, 2016 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This was a sequel to the original series in as far as it told about the same world and the same characters, and takes place after the events of the series. But the tone and the storyline hints more at a standalone book than anything else. There wasn't really anything that I hated about it , except for the fact that this author's idea of foreshadowing is almost a mockery of the reader's (and the characters') intelligence. That didn't stop me from enjoying the book. Even though there was nothing i ...more
Robin
Mar 13, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: para-fantasy
I really enjoyed this addition to The Black Jewels series. There were a few things that kept it from being a 5 star book for me, but overall, I tore through it in a couple days.

I found myself rereading the interactions between Daemon, Lucivar, and Saetan over and over because I really enjoyed seeing their relationships develop. These are men I want to get to know better and I am fascinated with their interactions. I know the book was supposed to be more about Surreal, but it was the men that ca
Nádia Batista
Jan 08, 2016 Nádia Batista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
É sempre difícil falar sobre um livro de Anne Bishop e manter-me afastada dos lugares-comuns: como a autora é, simplesmente, uma das melhores, como os seus mundos são originais, negros e terrivelmente sensuais, como as suas personagens são inesquecíveis... mas a verdade é que é tudo isto e muito mais.

Apesar da sua grandiosidade, Jóia Perdida é, até agora, o livro mais fraco das Jóias Negras. Isto não faz de si um mau livro, nem por sombras; os outros é que são anormalmente melhores. Este volume
Erin
Wow. :x I got like 1/3 of the way through this over the course of a week or so, and then finish the remaining 2/3 in a day. This book had a really slow build, but once the ball started to roll, it didn't stop until the last page. Loved it! :) Some of the characters felt new to me, but I think they were just characters from the original trilogy that I (sadly) didn't remember, since they weren't part of the main cast. But I loved them. :)

My only gripe (aside from the slow pacing in the beginning)
Adam Smith
May 08, 2015 Adam Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janelle Angeline is building a spooky house. When Surreal receives a summons to come view the house, she has no choice but to comply, but it soon becomes clear that things are not as they appear. Someone is gunning for the members of the SaDiablo family and Surreal has just walked her way into a trap.

A full length novel set after the events of the Black Jewel trilogy. This book is focused more directly on Surreal with the core members of the SaDiablo family taking a less direct role in the story
Helen Corcoran
Anne's Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy remains one of my fondest teen discoveries, despite the inherent flaws in the books. The spines are cracked, the covers worn--I often open one of the book at a random spot and start reading from there to the end. They're three of my comfort reads. I enjoyed The Invisible Ring a lot, and eagerly awaited the news books set in the same 'verse.

It went downhill from there, sadly. Bishop's new works set in the BJ universe clearly show how quickly she's had to write
LKM
Mar 04, 2010 LKM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book was such a fun read!!

It contains most of the usual characters from the The Black Jewels Trilogy: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness, and they're all being their usual fun-cool selves.

The story itself is more of 'a day in the life of' and the little troubles they encounter more than a big book with a big problem... but it's a lovely book nonetheless

If you already know/are familiar with (and love) the characters, and are familiar with the story as well, I'
Carien
Jun 06, 2010 Carien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the first book by Anne Bishop that I read after reading her short story 'Stands a God Within the Shadows' which I absolutely love!

I soon discovered this book is part of a series (The Black Jewels series) and it's not the first book in the series. And let me tell you: if you're going to read any book in the Black Jewels series I can advice you to start with the first book and work your way through the books in the right order. I'm telling you this as I reread this book after reading the o
Anne Bishop: Help! 4 17 Mar 14, 2012 07:07AM
  • Kushiel's Mercy (Imriel's Trilogy, #3)
  • Os Três Reinos (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #5)
  • Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5)
  • Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra #4)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • A Manopla de Karasthan (Crónicas de Allaryia, #1)
  • The Riven Shield (The Sun Sword, #5)
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of fourteen novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. Her most recent novel, Twilight’s Dawn, made the New York Times bestseller list. She is currently working on a new series, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librar
More about Anne Bishop...

The Black Jewels (9 books)
  • Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1)
  • Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2)
  • Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3)
  • The Invisible Ring (The Black Jewels, #4)
  • Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels, #5)
  • The Shadow Queen (The Black Jewels, #7)
  • Shalador's Lady (The Black Jewels, #8)
  • Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels, #9)

“I walked down to the village with five Sceltie puppies. I came back to the Hall with four.”
“And the fifth ?”
“By now, I’m sure Sylvia has convinced the little bitch to let go of Mikal’s trousers. And Mrs Beale promised to send her recipe for puppy biscuits to Sylvia’s cook.”
“Mrs Beale agreed to share a recipe,” Saetan said slowly.
“Mrs Beale agreed that I could pay for... I’m not sure what it is except that it’s something she wanted for the kitchen but couldn’t justify as a normal household expense.”
“And you agreed to fund this in exchange for a recipe ?”
Daemon stared at his father for a long moment before he muttered, “She sharpened the meat cleaver before coming to talk to me.”
One beat of silence. Two. Then Saetan burst out laughing.”
4 likes
“[...]
“What were you going to do if he’d refused ?”
Jaenelle looked at him and smiled.
Butterflies filled his stomach and tickled unmercifully before turning into heavy, sinking stones.
“Well,” his darling said, “you have a wonderful deep voice too. So if Papa refused, I was going to ask you.”

Saetan walked into the sitting room where he’d asked Geoffrey and Draca, the Keep’s Seneschal, to meet him.
“My friends, this bottle of wine arrived this evening, compliments of Prince Sadi. Since it came from the wine cellar at the Hall, I can assure you it is a very fine vintage, one best enjoyed when shared.”
He called in three glasses and opened the wine.
Draca said nothing until he handed her a glass. “What iss the occassion ?”
Saetan grinned. “My son has just realized how much his father loves him.”
4 likes