Start by marking “Maggie and the Pirate (A Blue Ribbon Book)” as Want to Read:
Maggie and the Pirate (A Blue Ribbon Book)

Maggie and the Pirate (A Blue Ribbon Book)

When Maggie's pet cricket is stolen, she andher friends embark on a search for the "pirate" thief which ends in a small tragedy, but the making of a new friend.
Published April 1st 1992 by Scholastic Trade (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Maggie and the Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maggie and the Pirate

Sombrero Fallout by Richard BrautiganZazie in the Metro by Raymond QueneauThe Demon Flower by Jo ImogThe Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane by Laird KoenigRecollections of the Golden Triangle by Alain Robbe-Grillet
Books That Shouldn't Be Forgotten
28th out of 43 books — 14 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsPeter's Chair by Ezra Jack KeatsWhistle for Willie by Ezra Jack KeatsA Letter to Amy by Ezra Jack KeatsThe Little Drummer Boy by Ezra Jack Keats
Best of Ezra Jack Keats
19th out of 39 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Sarah Sammis
Feb 25, 2014 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sarah by: Vintage Kids Books My Kids Love
Pretty illustrations. Odd story.

Cara Byrne
Sep 02, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it liked it
_Maggie and the Pirate_ fits closest with _Clemintina's Cactus_ and _Goggles!_ in Keats' canon. As a story about a young girl who lives in a van and keeps a cricket for a pet, all to have the cricket taken (and eventually killed by accident) because another boy is jealous that her father makes things for her and his father is absent, it's not the most uplifting or happy book. But something about the group of children sitting together at the end listening to another cricket's song in silence is t ...more
Josiah
Sep 27, 2015 Josiah rated it liked it
I have to say that this is definitely the best picture book by Ezra Jack Keats that I've ever read. In fact, it's arguably one of the best picture books by anyone that I've ever read. The ingenious illustrations and subtle, emotional story converge to perfection, especially at the very end of the book.

Maggie's happy days paddling her raft around her home with her pet cricket, Niki, joining the expeditions in her cage, are interrupted one day when an unknown person, calling himself only "Pirate
Kat
Oct 01, 2013 Kat rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books, 2013
Basic plot: Maggie has to save her pet cricket from the "pirate" who stole it.

This book leaves me feeling very conflicted. It's a kids' picture book, so it shouldn't make me feel that way, right? RIGHT??? Well.

We find out on nearly page 1 that Maggie lives with her parents in a van. That's right folks, our protagonist is HOMELESS. Now, based on the art and the copyright, I'm assuming this is supposed to be a whimsical, flower-child kind of thing. It wasn't. That one fact kind of turned the whole
Marjorie Cummings
Maggie and her parents lived in an old bus that hey turned into their home. Her pet cricket, Niki, was stolen from the tree next to her house by a pirate and the adventure begins.
Stephanie Moran
My older son read this to his younger siblings. They told me they really didn't care for this book.. I read it to myself after and agreed this book is sort of strange.
Garren
Jan 23, 2016 Garren rated it liked it
Darned beautiful paintings by Keats (as usual). I was a little surprised at how dark this got before it lightened a bit at the end. Approve.
Robert
May 23, 2014 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An simple sort of story about a girl, a cricket and a "pirate", set in an off-kilter tropical setting. The artists' highly individual, colorful illustrations fuel the imaginative and profound story.
Maeghan Edwards
This is a very strange book that I am not sure is appropriate for children. It has an interesting plot but there are some events that I do not think young readers should be exposed to.
Hannah
Sep 23, 2016 Hannah rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Beautiful illustrations. Bit of a strange story.
Syd
Sep 14, 2008 Syd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is by far, hands down, my favorite book as a kid. maggie, with her special pet cricket, faces, confronts and throws down with the neighborhood bullies who steal her little one...she was so my hero! the story rocked my world and has stuck with me all these years as i think about my influences around independence, self preservation, surviving as an introvert, gender and power. my little sister recently found my copy of it and gave it to me...so it is now back on my own book shelf. rad.
Hope
Ezra's books were recommended to me by a teacher of multicultural competence and I have tried to get my hands on all his books. I loved the illustrations(watercolors) and the idea of using this book to introduce how we can turn a negative into a positive. I did not like the ending though, because the new friend took the cricket and it dies. However, we all must learn we are only here temporarily. K-2
Olivia
Dec 01, 2008 Olivia rated it really liked it
Maggie and her cricket, Nikki, are inseparable until one day when he is stolen. There was only a note left "Pirate was here."

Reading Practice

Interested Level: Lower Grades (LG K-3)

Fiction/Nonfiction: Fiction

Topic-Subtopic: Adventure-Misc./Other; Animals-Cricket; Relationships-Friendship
Meaghan
Sep 02, 2012 Meaghan rated it liked it
The watercolor pictures are really beautiful in this book and I can see children really liking them. However the book does seem a bit sad to me and I'm not sure of the moral of the book or what it is getting at. It seems to have a lack of a point. However it is a pretty picture book for the kids.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 146123 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.3 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Lara
This one was...interesting. I really liked the illustrations, and the idea of the story, but... I don't know. I feel like maybe I was wanting more of a concrete ending or something, and the cricket made me sad!
Chris King
Aug 19, 2011 Chris King rated it it was amazing
Got this through Scholastic Books at school when I was a kid, great book. I remember not knowing any of the words at the time, and now I review the book and I know most of them.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at elementary school story time celebrating Ezra Jack Keats on 9/18/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Jess
May 30, 2016 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a childhood favorite of mine... i remember being scared by the illustrations.
Mary
Jun 09, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
Sweet story with amazing illustrations!
Ashleyd
Ashleyd rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Brigid
Brigid marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Sara Burriesci
Sara Burriesci rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
deandra
deandra rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Jn
Jn marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Kristi
Kristi rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Aug 17, 2016
  • Roberto Clemente: Pride of the Pittsburgh Pirates
  • Mailing May
  • Henry & The Kite Dragon
FROM WEBSITE:
Long before multicultural characters and themes were fashionable, Ezra Jack Keats crossed social boundaries by being the first American picture-book maker to give the black child a central place in children’s literature.

In the books that Keats wrote and illustrated, he used his special artistic techniques to portray his subjects in a unique manner. One of these was his blending of gou
More about Ezra Jack Keats...